Out of work since end of December 2023

No luck n my field ( auto parts ) finding a job that paid what i made

I've applied to other types of work

Warehouse , sales , labor

Fn nothing

Friend did get me on the spark delivery apps

But it's bullshit

20 stops for 15,20 bucks and then 1 or 2 of approving or rejecting  deliveries

I'll be outside a store and another store 40 miles away wants me to deliver shit 10. Or 15 miles for 12.00 then tye return trip

Fml

Ran out of fund this month

Thermal sold

Pvs14 listed

Truck is next
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I am prepared for it.  I planned on retiring last December.  I am hoping to be laid off or fired so my last days can be on unemployment. Every day I come in, I wonder if this is going to be the day I just say:

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd send a mass text while packing up my office and probably have competing offers before I left the building.
Plenty of options via friends/peers/industry competitors not to mention our unemployment rate is around 2.5%.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd simply retire.  They can't hurt me at this point.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

If he had to do it all over again, OJ would have also robbed Nicole and Ron.
Things got tight a few times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
Originally Posted By OTDR:
Just saw a report of OJ Simpsons finances over the weekend, in addition to other income he was getting $3600 a month in Social Security. I am getting $3200 a month lol, ole OJ was only doing 400 a month more than me.

I have a lot of good monthly income from my Fidelity accts as well.

The trick to surviving the OPs question is to have no debt.

There is school buses to be driven everywhere as long as you have been a good person and can pass all the requirements.

I have been driving school buss the 1 year since I retired. Making $31.00 an hour part time with full time benefits.

If you can, you lose your job, go drive a school bus. I love the kids, hella fun job.

If he had to do it all over again, OJ would have also robbed Nicole and Ron.
Things got tight a few times.

Seems fair since they were robbing him.    
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wood714:

I had to wait till I was 50.

Fuck working till your too old to enjoy what you worked for.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
I have been unemployed since I was 46 yrs old.

Doing just fine.

Absolutely nailed it. I’m 37 and on track for not working at 40. It’s doable, at 31 I worked a mid-5 figure 9-5 job…. Decided that wasn’t the life I wanted.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I would feel like I was screwed, but I have savings that would last a fair bit.  I'd likely be able to find another position though in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Bad, already happened to my wife. She is struggling to find a job for months. If it happened to me…
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#10]
It would suck because I really like the company I currently work for but I hold a CDL and NCCCO crane certs and possess some unique skills. I could have a new job within hours if I need one, the crane industry is pretty incestuous and I have good contacts in multiple companies that would vouch for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm retired and this morning, the company I had been doing contract work for until last year called me to see if I would be interested in doing some more work and I said, thanks, but no thanks.

It's just not worth the money to send up the audit red flag to the IRS by filing a schedule C.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have a rational reason, or just "a feeling"?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmaier83] [#13]
Id be/will be fucked. Oh well.

I have maybe a months worth of freeze dried food/water, and maybe 2mo of cash stacked away.

Milking a failing business and just starting a new job, trying to play catch up. I'm screwed

My specialty is a niche field in IT, so coming across gigs isn't something that happens much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:

Absolutely nailed it. I’m 37 and on track for not working at 40. It’s doable, at 31 I worked a mid-5 figure 9-5 job…. Decided that wasn’t the life I wanted.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
I have been unemployed since I was 46 yrs old.

Doing just fine.

What do you do now?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
No severance pay, nothing at all. I have a feeling we're going to end up in a situation even worse than 2008.
View Quote
I'd be ok for maybe two weeks before I had to tap into my savings, then my Stocks I've been trying to invest in for a retirement that I won't have...

So, yea, I'd be pretty fucked...  I live in a really rural area, surrounded by other rural areas, wither very few job options.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
If I lose my job tomorrow it's all y'all who will hurt, not me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been retired for about 15 years now, I'm fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
6-12 months
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I would be fine.
However that's because I put myself in this position.

It's work and requires discipline.

Not everyone does that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:54:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cacinok] [#20]
Originally Posted By kbi:

Fn nothing

But it's bullshit

I'll be outside a store and another store 40 miles away wants me to deliver shit 10. Or 15 miles for 12.00 then tye return trip

Fml

Thermal sold

Pvs14 listed

Truck is next
View Quote

Hang in there brother - keep working the problem.  I spent 2.5 years un/underemployed.  It sucked, but it's over.  Have you looked at Uber or Door Dash?

To the OP's question, b/c of my 2.5 years of suck, I keep 3-6 months worth of money in the bank and safe.  I got laid off in Oct of '22, literally the day that we closed on our house.  Luckily I was back to work 3 weeks later.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd be back selling cars in less than a week. As much as people like to shit on car sales it's not a job everyone can do or handle. There's a reason why people who do it usually stay in the field. I could walk into any dealership and get hired on the spot.

Honestly if my place closed I'd probably be a manager at another dealership. I do more than 95% of other salespeople already. Order cars, evaluate my own trades, do my own financing and do paperwork already. About the only thing i don't already do is the title work.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
I could have another job with one phone call so not screwed at all.
View Quote
That's pretty much where I'm at.  I don't burn bridges and I've got 3-4 programs (That I've worked at before) that would (RE)hire me with one phone call.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#24]
Don't know why the retired people are chiming in when they don't have a job to begin with.

I would be screwed if I don't find a job in a certain period of time. No family to fall back on, just my savings. It's a scary thought because I've seen people in past layoffs not have anything saved but still bounce back ok because they could go live with their parents.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not going to lose my job tomorrow.

Suck it, tax-paying wage slaves

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been very blessed, so I'd survive for a while. I need some time off anyway
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
I'd have another job within 24hrs. Last time I got laid off was 2018. I was jobless for 2hrs
View Quote

Man you didn't even get any vacation between jobs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I watched friends and family go through this stuff.

Even post 2000, and 2008, I was never laid off.  Lots of my coworkers were cut.

I was oblivious post-2000.... I was just too young and carefree.  By 2008, I saw the stress and risk my friends were under, so I made some changes.  I started by reading Dave Ramsey's total money makeover, and I quickly saved 6 month's expenses as an emergency fund.  Since 2008, I have never been without that cash-based emergency fund.

Several people in my company were let go, but it was mostly opportunistic on the company's part.  We were still growing, only a slight and temporary stagnation in our business.  My fiancé was laid off in 2010, she got to witness how fragile her world was financially.  Without her parent's help she would have lost her home, which was substantially upside down at that time.  I think this helped her get on board with Dave Ramsey and making smarter decisions when it came to auto purchases, and debt in general.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:
This is GD.

We all have years of savings to live off of before touching any investments, paid off homes, vehicles and rental properties.
View Quote

Yup.

I’ve read that 60% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and effectively have no savings. I believe it, too.

The next 20% up would be fine for 2 or 3 months before having to whip out credit cards, take on other debt, or dip into long-term savings to finance their existence.

It’s really only the top 20% of income earners who can legit say “I’d be fine with an extended period of unemployment.” And even most of those people couldn’t go much longer than 12 months before raiding long-term savings would need to be examined.

Most people are both short-term thinkers and poor planners. And if anyone doubts that, just read the number of comments you see on GD about “I ain’t got no ammo to shoot and it’s SOOO unfair!” every time we have an ammo panic.

Most people should just assume that life is going to shit on them at some point and ensure they have the financial resources to cope when that happens.

Because look…we haven’t had a recession since 2009. That is NOT normal. In fact it’s highly abnormal. The last 15 years have essentially been a coke-fueled debt party (both at the government and individuals levels) and I have a feeling that when the next economic downturn hits, it’s going to hit HARD! (This is also why I laugh when people claim that the CURRENT economy is rotten. Those people apparently have no idea what a rotten economy actually looks like.) When that time comes - as it inevitably will at some point - we’re going to have an awful lot of people wishing they had made different financial and life choices when times were good.

It’s all just “The Ant and The Grasshopper” stuff. Rest assured, the vast majority of people are grasshoppers. It’s gonna suck for them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By midmo:
I'd concentrate on learning how to fully exploit .gov handouts, and the paradox we've created where being destitute is somehow more lucrative than working hard.  
View Quote

Being destitute is…being destitute.

While Arfcom GD sometimes likes to jack off to the idea that America’s poor are living champaign lifestyles and caviar dreams, being poor actually sucks. A lot. It’s also quite expensive to be poor.

Our government does spend more on entitlements than I’d prefer. But with only a few rare exceptions, the vast majority of people living on the government dole would not describe their lifestyles as “lucrative”.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Paul:
I'd establish residency in Washington State with my wife and kids and struggle by on +$10,200  a month in welfare payments.

Paying Americans not to work.
View Quote

Nice rage bait!

Did you actually read the entire paper? Out of sincere curiosity I did. And your link serves as another great example as to why - just like with the media - you really shouldn’t just read the clickbait headline and think you are now fully informed.

(That headline requires a very unique set of circumstances that are themselves contingent upon you having the luck of someone who got punched in the face in the morning, and run over by a bus in the afternoon.)
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#32]
zero point zero.

plenty of money saved to coast on without an income and plenty of contacts in the industry.

could make a couple calls to old coworkers/my buddy/recruiters/etc and be working somewhere else in a matter of days.

wood probably be making moar money, too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By kbi:

Fn nothing

But it's bullshit

Fml

Thermal sold

Pvs14 listed

Truck is next
View Quote
do you have a CDL A with endorsements?

do you like to travel?

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#34]
With my job, it would not be instantly.  I would be able to retire, with a 10% penalty and be ok.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Muerte:
id take the year off and go fishing
View Quote
i was looking forward to getting fired for not getting the old jabby jab jab.

collect unemployment for a year, collect a nice settlement from the wrongful termination suit.

plus i need a goddamn break.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Subpar:
With my investments, assets and savings I could live comfortably for about 17 minutes before I'd be in serious trouble.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Thankfully my wife works and makes good money and I have a decent amount in savings.  

That being said, if I just f it and became a couch potatoe playing mw3 all day. .  Id probably have around 6ish months of bills and such that could be paid for.  If I wanted to be really lazy, I could sell the camaro and some stocks and probably be off another year
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
do you have a CDL A with endorsements?

do you like to travel?

View Quote
You might just be joking but, A CDL with a med card and a clean driving record means you can pretty much always get a job somewhere. It might not be the job you want but it can pay the bills until you find a better one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
You might just be joking but, A CDL with a med card and a clean driving record means you can pretty much always get a job somewhere. It might not be the job you want but it can pay the bills until you find a better one.
View Quote
hell yeah brother.gif
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#40]
I wouldn't like it but I would be okay.  All the cool stuff spending would be cut.  I would miss all the money going to my retirement the most though, but wouldn't need to draw from it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#41]
87% screwed
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
Bad. Since I just started a job after 6 month of unemployment
View Quote

Humm...not going to jinx it with a username comment.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#43]
No severance pay, nothing at all. I have a feeling we're going to end up in a situation even worse than 2008.
View Quote

I'm living that reality right now. Lost my job on 4/2 and been looking for work since. I'm thankful for my savings, but it's only good for about 5 months and then I will have drained it. Hoping to find something WAY before that point...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

I retired 8 years ago. My ranch is secure but everyone I know is screwed.

2008 was a warmup. With Biden in the WH, it is guaranteed to get worse. Inflation is way worse than they are reporting. The Democrats are on a ship about to hit the Baltimore bridge...  Oh, that's right, it already did.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chisum:

I retired 8 years ago. My ranch is secure but everyone I know is screwed.

2008 was a warmup. With Biden in the WH, it is guaranteed to get worse. Inflation is way worse than they are reporting. The Democrats are on a ship about to hit the Baltimore bridge...  Oh, that's right, it already did.

The Democrat ship already hit the bridge? When??

The Democrats have outperformed in elections since 2018. With special elections in particular, they’ve been wiping the floors with Republican candidates. And the lack of a “red wave” in 2022 was literally historic. Had to go back almost a century to see a whoppin’ that bad.

Your post highlights one of the big problems with the Republican Party and people who still call themselves “conservative” with somewhat questionable veracity. While the American political right is proudly throwing gigantic boulders, they seem to be forgetting that they’re often throwing those boulders from within glass houses.

I sincerely hope they wise up soon and start at least pretending that core conservative values mean something to them. But with the increasing prevalence of the craziest & dumbest voices on the right sucking all the oxygen out of the room (MTG, Trump, Kari Lake, and several other outcasts from “The Land of Misfit Toys”), I’m not optimistic they will until they’ve ceded almost the entirety of elected government to the political left.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sirgilbert357:

I'm living that reality right now. Lost my job on 4/2 and been looking for work since. I'm thankful for my savings, but it's only good for about 5 months and then I will have drained it. Hoping to find something WAY before that point...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sirgilbert357:

General location?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I would need to get another job asap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I would be able to survive for a few months.  More cooking at home and doing projects around the house would probably save some cost as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm retired.  I agonized over employment for 50 years.  Glad that is behind me.

I wouldn't want to be a young person these days.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:
I'm not going to lose my job tomorrow.

Suck it, tax-paying wage slaves

View Quote

I bet you have friends and a beautiful woman.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Between my welding, class A with hazmat, crane license and operating heavy equipment I would say I wouldn’t be without a job for very long.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top