Site Notices
Saigon . . . (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxLawDog:
The highlight of my .mil career was just after the cease fire during Desert Storm.  My artillery battery was inside Iraq and we had to run some small op.  I was assigned to the TOC and when the Lt. was finishing the briefing he turned and asked me what callsigns we would use.  Being an Apocalypse Now nerd I said that the TOC would be "Almighty" and the movement element would be "PBR Street Gang".  The movement team wasn't 5 minutes out of camp when I jumped on the radio.  "PBR Street Gang this is Almighty, radio check over."  My military career was complete.
View Quote
I regularly use those call signs when none have been pre-planned.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:46:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#2]

I've contemplated a spare stock set painted in orange tiger stripes...but...can't bring myself to painting the barrel and receiver. Maybe chalk or something easily removable?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:52:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762xIAN] [#3]
Originally Posted By Tacosis:
To me the scene at the beginning when Willard is being briefed in the trailer during lunch is one of the best scenes of any movie, ever.  The general, GD Spradlin, was just outstanding.  The way he recounts his relationship with Kurtz is some of the finest acting I've ever seen.  You can tell he's terribly wounded about the situation.  I actually am not much of a fan of the playgirls at the firebase scene where they get laid.  The French plantation chapter is great cinema.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
To me the scene at the beginning when Willard is being briefed in the trailer during lunch is one of the best scenes of any movie, ever.  The general, GD Spradlin, was just outstanding.  The way he recounts his relationship with Kurtz is some of the finest acting I've ever seen.  You can tell he's terribly wounded about the situation.  I actually am not much of a fan of the playgirls at the firebase scene where they get laid.  The French plantation chapter is great cinema.

Agree 100%, you could see the pain in his face and hear it in his voice describing his relationship with Kurtz and the decision being made. Very powerful scene and great acting.

"Well, you see Willard... In this war, things get confused out there, power, ideals, the old morality, and practical military necessity. Out there with these natives it must be a temptation to be god. Because there's a conflict in every human heart between the rational and the irrational, between good and evil. The good does not always triumph. Sometimes the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature. Every man has got a breaking point. You and I have. Walter Kurtz has reached his. And very obviously, he has gone insane."
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I have always thought that too.
Great scene, seemed really natural.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I Love The Smell of Napalm in the Morning ::: Apocalypse Now
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Saigon . . . (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top