BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lorax:
I believe the more niche the hobby or sport, the friendlier the people are.
This could be due to having someone to share that specialized interest or passion with keeps people on their best behavior for networking. For example: One could always find someone to bitch with about the latest game or player or team. Not so much with a hobby or sport with a barrier to entry, limited participants or limited opportunity.

For me, it's been backpacking. Serious backpacking. Less than 2% of adults do it. I have backpacked with well over 150 people met on forums, most of them obviously libs.
But politics has never once been introduced. It's kind of a code to leave that at the trailhead. I've only ever had a problem with one woman. Everyone else has always been very nice, almost to a fault. And I've done up to 12 day backpacking and paddling extended trips with people.
Same with wilderness paddlers. People who go on extended trips. All very cool.

View Quote

I don't know about backpacking but definitely wilderness paddlers.  Always willing to help, fairly conscientious of others on portages or the water, decent people all around.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
Needlepoint groups are full of pricks.

View Quote

And participants at furry conventions act real squirrely.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
3D Archery
BJJ
Dirtbikers or rock crawlers.   I just got back from Moab riding dirt bikes and any place you are stopped random other riders will ask you if you need a hand or spare part.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a bunch of dangerous Fundamentalist White Supremacist colonizers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By chicken_rider:
Motorcycle track days. If you crash and can go back out people and parts will swarm to you to get you back out. A handshake and hey you can give me back my spare parts next time out.
View Quote

This.

I would say powersports stuff in general are really good about this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
The car culture probably has the biggest assholes.

Car shows, cars n' coffees, etc.
View Quote
Big money car people can be terrible.  Local "lets wrench on and do track days in our similar cars together" type clubs have been great.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about the worst, but I've done a lot of motorcycle camping and I've never run into an asshole.

Great group of people you can sit around a campfire with and down a few beers.

The fact that everyone is away from their spouses for a week or two might have something to do with their great attitude.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
In my experience...

Best

RC flying: Almost overwhelming friendly and welcoming. Sure, some people are standoffish until you talk to them (me included), especially these days. But in general, awesome.

Hiking: Almost every person I've met hiking has been friendly and decent

Shooting: Although some people just aren't interested in talking since they're busy, almost every shooter (especially in competition) I talk to is friendly and helpful.

Worst:

Car people: There are some awesome people in every car community. There are also a crapton of utter fuckwits.

Also garage sale lurkers
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By erud:
In the few years that I’ve been collecting, I’d say that at least 80% of the other super yacht collectors I’ve met have been pricks.
View Quote

I've noticed that as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:46:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#10]
From my experience, the friendliest is definitely rodeo. Unfriendly, sportsball in general.
In rodeo, the competitors are almost always seen helping each other, even loaning each other equipment. Bust a bull rope? Here, use mine.
In sportsball, the animosity between opposing teams and their fans can sometimes reach extreme levels.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheRX7Project:
I'd say cars fits both. I know some real cool car dudes and some real dickheads.

Unfortunately the dickheads are really outweighing the cool guys anymore
View Quote
A lot of times it's checkbook guys that are dicks, and dirty nails guys that are fine.   Some variances, but I've been a car guy for a long time, and it usually holds true.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Mountain bikers are a pretty good group overall.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:49:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#14]
Model Trains!

Eye keeeeeeeed.  People who love their hobby or sport want to share their enthusiasm with others and don't sh*t down the throat of newbs.

If I had to guess a sport, football.  Arrogant players think they're golden & above the law b/c every time they break the law, coach gets them off the hook.  Trust coach.

ETA: sportsball fans have been known to fight or kill fans of the opposing team.  In Liberia, their Army goes out into the soccer field in splits into two columns with one on each side of the field.  They then face the audience and are ready to use deadly force to keep the fans apart.  Sportsball is serious bizness and I was told this by a Liberian coworker.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By billth777:
In bjj the percentage of assholes is low
View Quote

In to say this.  We kick the ever living hell out of each other, and then you're best buds at the end of class.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I've often found that the more unusual and specialized the hobby/sport, the less likely you are to run into an asshole.  The really popular sports just pull in a broader cross-section of society, and so you get a higher proportion of jerks.

I did kendo for many years - which is obviously a very esoteric sport - and I never ran across anyone who was anything other than friendly and nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Countersniperkitty:
Curlers are pretty friendly.

I've often found that the more unusual and specialized the hobby/sport, the less likely you are to run into an asshole.  The really popular sports just pull in a broader cross-section of society, and so you get a higher proportion of jerks.

I did kendo for many years - which is obviously a very esoteric sport - and I never ran across anyone who was anything other than friendly and nice.

This is pretty much my experience.

I am a historical tabletop wargame player. The members of the wargame community have been nothing but friendly and very helpful, especially when learning a game that has a heavier rule set. It’s such a niche inside of the tabletop gamers, we are happy when people are willing to give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:
HAM radio gives you both.

I went to club meetings for a while. I was the youngest by at least 25 years. They would climb all over themselves, helping to get me going.

On the air, salty hams can be a different animal if something isn't correct.
View Quote

I got my ham license when I was 10. At most club meetings I was the youngest by multiple decades. In the beginning, everyone was helpful but their egos could not handle the possibility that someone younger than them knew something they didn’t.

At a field day in my early 30s I was running the 20m CW station. Oldest most curmudgeony member of the club pulled into the parking lot 50 feet away and fired up 20m phone from his truck. I walked over and said “Hey, are you by any chance on 20 meters? Because I’m over there and-“ “YES and you’re splattering all over the band!” “I’m not splattering, it’s just that our antennas are almost touching and we’re not using band pass filters to-“ “I’ve been a ham for 15 years and I know what I’m talking about!” “Ok, I’ve been a ham for 22 years and I know what I’m talking about. You can’t have two transmitters on the same band within spitting distance without using narrow filters and even then you need close coordination”. Old fart cussed me out and sped out of the park. Told the club president some story about me being disrespectful and arguing with him, and without even asking my side of the story asked me to leave the club.

Ham clubs are fine until someone’s ego gets bruised, then they’re full of assholes.

Anyway, grottos (caving clubs) can be very standoffish to new people because of what’s at stake (access to private caves, risk of damage to delicate formations, etc) but once you’re vouched for or proven to be trustworthy, cavers are the kindest and most welcoming community I’ve ever seen. Everyone is always willing to give you gear, food, whiskey, their truck, whatever you need.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Having just helped open a pickleball facility...

Pickleball players are just worthless jackasses, every single one of them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#19]
In my experience, people who garden are very friendly and helpful and willing to see others in the hobby grow (yes, pun intended).
Same with many other homesteading-type tasks - canning, animal husbandry, farming, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CharlesUFina:
I go to a very small, non-corporate gym.

Everyone is very courteous, friendly, and supportive.

Down side: not an abundance of eye candy
View Quote

This has been my experience dirty, small places full of gym rats are the most friendly places on earth.

It’s weird, half the guys are juicing but everyone is super friendly and full of positive energy
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
Needlepoint groups are full of pricks.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I dunno but every hobby I've ever been a part of has their elitist dick holes.

Actually automotive stuff is pretty tame compared to BMW riding off-roaders.  The true adv types are humble but the yuppies on a bike are absolute pricks of the highest order.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:31:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#23]
I wanted to get into ham radio as a kid. Stopped by a local ham shop that was on my walk home from school, would look at all the radios, antennas, etc. I was maybe 12 or 13.

The grumpy old sparks behind the counter, after the fourth or fifth time I stopped in, angrily told me that unless I was going to buy something to get out and not come back. He was tired of seeing me in his shop.

It soured me on the very idea of it all. He could've instead, you know, handed me a study guide or something.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd say from my own experience and stories of others the top two worst are -

Sportsball people
Golfers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
Road cyclists are mostly assholes
View Quote

Bicycle tourists, long distance riders, bike packers tend to be very congenial. Kind of like the difference between sail boaters and power boats.  Density tends to bring out the rat race in people.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:

That's because most trail users are ignorant twats who don't know trail etiquette. Horses have the right of way. Period.
View Quote

Yeah, I know.  But when you're on a narrow ridge trail with knee high cactus on both sides I don't need some loud mouth bitching that horses have ROW while I'm trying to find spot to step off without getting stabbed to death.  Stop and wait for a few seconds ya pricks, I don't care what your truck/trailer/ and saddled dog food cost.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Originally Posted By erud:
In the few years that I’ve been collecting, I’d say that at least 80% of the other super yacht collectors I’ve met have been pricks.

Only once you get above 75M in length.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By paul463:

Yeah, I know.  But when you're on a narrow ridge trail with knee high cactus on both sides I don't need some loud mouth bitching that horses have ROW while I'm trying to find spot to step off without getting stabbed to death.  Stop and wait for a few seconds ya pricks, I don't care what your truck/trailer/ and saddled dog food cost.
View All Quotes

That's because most trail users are ignorant twats who don't know trail etiquette. Horses have the right of way. Period.

I absolutely respect who has the right of way, but once had some bitchy horse lady SCREAMING at me on a nearby rail-to-trail that I needed to dismount my bike and step off the trail so she could get by. I was nowhere near her as she SCREAMED that her horse didn't like people on bikes. I said, "If that's true, then perhaps you shouldn't be riding it on a trail that have bikes"...which pissed her off even more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Competitive shotgun sports for the most part. Sure, sure they're a few assholes spread around but even though it's a growing sport word gets around if you're a dick. I find FAAAAR less assholes in the NSCA/NSSA world than I do in the rifle/pistol sports.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Swingers
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By phurba:

I got my ham license when I was 10. At most club meetings I was the youngest by multiple decades. In the beginning, everyone was helpful but their egos could not handle the possibility that someone younger than them knew something they didn’t.

At a field day in my early 30s I was running the 20m CW station. Oldest most curmudgeony member of the club pulled into the parking lot 50 feet away and fired up 20m phone from his truck. I walked over and said “Hey, are you by any chance on 20 meters? Because I’m over there and-“ “YES and you’re splattering all over the band!” “I’m not splattering, it’s just that our antennas are almost touching and we’re not using band pass filters to-“ “I’ve been a ham for 15 years and I know what I’m talking about!” “Ok, I’ve been a ham for 22 years and I know what I’m talking about. You can’t have two transmitters on the same band within spitting distance without using narrow filters and even then you need close coordination”. Old fart cussed me out and sped out of the park. Told the club president some story about me being disrespectful and arguing with him, and without even asking my side of the story asked me to leave the club.

Ham clubs are fine until someone’s ego gets bruised, then they’re full of assholes...

View Quote

Been on the air since '54 and have found much fewer assholes on CW than on SSB.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#32]
In terms of gun club politics, two groups that have been consistently bitter douchebags to a man are trapshooters, and NRA Highpower/National Match.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Friendliest: RC helicopters, trials bikes
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

I don't know about backpacking but definitely wilderness paddlers.  Always willing to help, fairly conscientious of others on portages or the water, decent people all around.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Originally Posted By Lorax:
I believe the more niche the hobby or sport, the friendlier the people are.
This could be due to having someone to share that specialized interest or passion with keeps people on their best behavior for networking. For example: One could always find someone to bitch with about the latest game or player or team. Not so much with a hobby or sport with a barrier to entry, limited participants or limited opportunity.

For me, it's been backpacking. Serious backpacking. Less than 2% of adults do it. I have backpacked with well over 150 people met on forums, most of them obviously libs.
But politics has never once been introduced. It's kind of a code to leave that at the trailhead. I've only ever had a problem with one woman. Everyone else has always been very nice, almost to a fault. And I've done up to 12 day backpacking and paddling extended trips with people.
Same with wilderness paddlers. People who go on extended trips. All very cool.

Hello fellow cool people!    I've found both backpackers and wilderness canoers all very friendly.

I'm not directly involved in these activities but observing friends in these hobbies I've found wooden boat people (i.e. Kris Craft and Century power boats) and RC aircraft folks to be very welcoming.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Horse people are dicks to other trail users.

Yeah, I feel like you’re only confirming the stereotype.

Most people who go on trails drive to the trail and walk around. They’re not studying for a walking test.  They’re not expecting to dodge pack animals and poo.

My experience is that mountain bikers do more to maintain trails than any other group.

Mad props to everyone who maintains trails.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#36]
The warbird owners/pilots I met on the circuit were amazing.
Many on this site!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MEK:
View Quote

Worst:  RC airplaners when an RC heli guy shows up on “their” field.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

I absolutely respect who has the right of way, but once had some bitchy horse lady SCREAMING at me on a nearby rail-to-trail that I needed to dismount my bike and step off the trail so she could get by. I was nowhere near her as she SCREAMED that her horse didn't like people on bikes. I said, "If that's true, then perhaps you shouldn't be riding it on a trail that have bikes"...which pissed her off even more.
View Quote

Some horse chicks absolutely refuse to train their horses. Mine would be following you for pets and carrots.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:31:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Frosty] [#39]
I have had really bad experiences with skeet shooters

Amazing experiences too.

Blackjack players are usually pretty bad too
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:33:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXBBQGuy] [#40]
Out of all the hobbies I've had over the years, competition bbq has had the absolute best people, its truly like family.

We all share, help each other out and, despite all of us wanting to win, will get more excited for the guy next to us than we do for ourselves

ETA: RC car guys (racers specifically) were some of the worst, most cliquish people I ever dealt with (not all, but most)
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By CharlesUFina:
I go to a very small, non-corporate gym.

Everyone is very courteous, friendly, and supportive.

Down side: not an abundance of eye candy
View Quote

I would echo those findings.

And I know how everyone feels about crossfit but all the cf "gyms" i've been too, everyone was SUPER friendly and welcoming.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Originally Posted By MEK:

RC heli guys would just take over my old field and run pack after pack to keep the fixed wing guys from flying, then bitch when anyone managed to jam themselves into a slot.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taktiq] [#43]
Skateboarding generally has some of the coolest people that are willing to help and give encouragement. The douches are the posers.

Fly fishing can have friendly people so long as you don't shit on the sacred trout (just as stupid as largies) and insist that it doesn't need to be expensive and barbs are ok and nothing should be FFO.

Magic/illusions...cool people if you're sincere about learning when you're starting out, but then you learn how much you'd rather hang out with anyone else that isn't some egotistical nerd who believes they're the keeper of some secret knowledge instead of tricks you can order from Penguin for $50.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Car enthusiasts focused only on modern cars are the worst, hardcore 4x4 people have been the most selfless and cool.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I hope to take up surfing when I move to Hawaii.  I'm curious whether local surfers are going to be chill when an old clueless haole shows up in "their" ocean.

I imagine they will be chill.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:01:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APSArmament] [#47]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Friendliest? I found the skydiving community to be full of very friendly people. The downside was that they considered themselves to be very special people because they skydive.

View Quote

This. Great people, unique community sense of humor, but always a step apart from the regular populace.

I think it stems from "owning" the weirdness of being constantly judged by whuffos who think that skydivers are nuts. After awhile, you just embrace the constant stream of judgement and being called insane and run with it.

Still my favorite hobby aside from guns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Competitive shooters seem to be a very friendly bunch.

Cyclists seem to be assholes.

Artifact hunters are a 50/50 mix.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Thrasymachus:
Swingers
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Trap and Skeet shooters are terrible, as in more assholes than decent people.  Sporting clays is just the opposite.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top