BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I hope to take up surfing when I move to Hawaii.  I'm curious whether local surfers are going to be chill when an old clueless haole shows up in "their" ocean.

I imagine they will be chill.  
View Quote

There's a documentary out there on how to gain their trust and infiltrate their group.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope to take up surfing when I move to Hawaii.  I'm curious whether local surfers are going to be chill when an old clueless haole shows up in "their" ocean.

View Quote

I'm in Maui now.  Windsurfing is different for sure,  but my surfing observation is that the novice breaks are fine.  The better the break,  the more territorial the locals rapidly become.  Never be a "The OcEaN DoEsn'T BeLOng to YoU!" Karen, ever!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote
Don't fuck with da Hui!
Because da Hui will fuck with you!

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Least friendly= golf

Friendliest = beach volleyball
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Wildlife photography has some really nice people but it also has more than its fair share of self-absorbed pricks.  I think maybe because it attracts loners who don't like interacting with people.
In my experience, road cyclists aren't assholes to each other, but they're very defensive against other people for the same reason bikers are--they've almost gotten killed or run off the road by them too many times.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By APSArmament:

This. Great people, uniques vommunity sense of humor, but always a step apart from the regular populace.

I think it stems from "owning" the weirdness of being constantly jusged by whuffos who think that skydivers are nuts. After awhile, you just embrace the constant stream of judgement and being called insane and run with it.

Still my favorite hobby aside from guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Friendliest? I found the skydiving community to be full of very friendly people. The downside was that they considered themselves to be very special people because they skydive.

This. Great people, uniques vommunity sense of humor, but always a step apart from the regular populace.

I think it stems from "owning" the weirdness of being constantly jusged by whuffos who think that skydivers are nuts. After awhile, you just embrace the constant stream of judgement and being called insane and run with it.

One of the greatest shooting teachers of the recent past was also a major league skydiver:

Pat Rogers

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The more esoteric or exclusive the hobby, the more friendly the people involved. As someone mentioned earlier, motorcycle racing/track days has lots of friendly people (even when you race competitively); but IME that's only in the US where motorcycle racing isn't as popular as it is in the rest of the world. Go across the pond and you'll get a mixed bag. Some hobbies have a meritocracy (like HAM radio operation), but some of the best people I've ever met have been in the tactical training community.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JerkStore:
Having just helped open a pickleball facility...

Pickleball players are just worthless jackasses, every single one of them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
golfers are strange.

In our extended family are about a half dozen really dedicated golfers.

As far as I can tell, they've lost the ability to have conversations that don't revolve around golf.

Summer cookout and casually talking about at the dinner table about the food? They start comparing it to the food at some golf tournament and proceed to spend the next half hour trying to talk about that course and how they did that day.

Every conversation is aggressively steered to golf.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HDLS:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf_zps44023202_JPG-109.jpg

Mostly grumpy karen’s and karl’s at the courts at the gym we lift at
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I only ever dealt with them when I worked out at our local Y and they were all douchebags. They used the basketball court for their court and had certain hours/days they were supposed to be there but consistently ignored. We tried talking to them and they weren't having it, so we just started ignoring them if they were there outside of their posted schedule and play our pickup games (halfcourt) and would get cussed at, balls hit at us, complained on, etc. I think they finally got run off
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#12]
I noticed paintball tended to be quite polarized. There was the group of people who were cool, liked to check out different people's set ups, let you join their group, team up with youngsters to help show them the ropes, then there were the super serious assholes who were raging gear snobs, would light you up excessively, always wiped paint, everything they didn't like "sucked", never wanted to be around newbs because it would slow them down...

Thankfully the cool people were a much larger group.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Snowboarders are generally pretty cool. I’m a snowboarder and cool as fuck!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Least friendliest are gun owners to outsiders.

The definition of outsider changes with the quality of the person.

Once inside they're too trusting and get taken advantaged a lot.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
My hobby currently is hauling free fresh cow shit from my neighbors barn a mile to our garden. I’d estimate I hauled at least 5 tons yesterday, and will haul approx 30-40 tons over the next week, it’s not attracting anyone, friendly or not. Only think it’s attracting is flies.

But my garden / plants will LOVE it, should be able to turn the garden soil black to a depth of 18” at least, as well as fill up 150’ of raised beds 150’x4’x10” deep.

Busy busy !
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Mountain bike riders sure seem to go out-of-their-way to be dicks on the trail.

My first 4x4 off-road club's navigator, the #2 guy, was an avid pedal bike rider and we'd always offer water to bike riders we'd pass. When we'd see a group of riders stopped for a break we'd always pull over and Bobby would see if he knew members and we'd chat with them. That would typically get apologies for blocking the trail going 0.5 mph up the half mile section. If they would have taken a break at the bottom we wouldn't have been stuck behind them for the hour and be out-of-way in less than three minutes.

Bobby is a far better man than me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
3D,field,indoor archery.
Mtn bike
The nicest people in sports

Road cyclists/ gravel - tip of the asshole community .

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:03:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#18]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
My hobby currently is hauling free fresh cow shit from my neighbors barn a mile to our garden. I’d estimate I hauled at least 5 tons yesterday, and will haul approx 30-40 tons over the next week, it’s not attracting anyone, friendly or not.
View Quote

I live next to farm land and oh boy do I know that smell. It only last a couple of days a year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

Bicycle tourists, long distance riders, bike packers tend to be very congenial. Kind of like the difference between sail boaters and power boats.  Density tends to bring out the rat race in people.
View Quote

Agreed with the long distance stuff.  When I used to do Brevets, everyone was friendly, helpful and supportive.  The worst group is pro and college sports fans.  Between their behavior and the wokeism in major sports, I can't stand it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:07:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#21]
99.9% of my interactions with recreational boaters have been very pleasant.   People helping each other out, enjoying the day, and just having a good time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Skydiving has some of the best people.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 2Frosty:

Blackjack players are usually pretty bad too
View Quote

Poker players are the worst
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Hunting seems like something that is either hot or cold. Never been in a hunting club only Facebook groups (which I admit may be a terrible example) but you either get really helpful people or huge assholes that snipe at you for every question. I’ve just been waterfowl hunting a few years now with my first forays into public land hunting and it all seems like an undercurrent of tension with everyone trying to keep their spots a secret without getting In each others way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Tweek218:  Wanted to get into table tennis a few years ago. A friend and I went to a couple open sessions at some local clubs in the Metro Detroit area.  Some of the rudest, most unfriendly people I've ever been around. It was clear newcomers were not welcome. Two different clubs same result. Never again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#26]

View Quote
No. They won't. It's a good thing you know your place.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By flynbenny:
I would pick practical shooting, 3 gun, etc.
View Quote

Specifically, the 3-gun crowd at matches.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By snubfan:
Friendliest:
- Sailing
- Auto racing

View Quote
We must sail in different places.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

I only ever dealt with them when I worked out at our local Y and they were all douchebags. They used the basketball court for their court and had certain hours/days they were supposed to be there but consistently ignored. We tried talking to them and they weren't having it, so we just started ignoring them if they were there outside of their posted schedule and play our pickup games (halfcourt) and would get cussed at, balls hit at us, complained on, etc. I think they finally got run off
View Quote

I had to set up a PA system for a tournament the next day.  One of the players thought we were going to be playing music next to "their" court, so they cut the Bluetooth receiver wire with a pair of nail clippers.  

They aren't allowed back.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:

That's because most trail users are ignorant twats who don't know trail etiquette. Horses have the right of way. Period.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By paul463:
Horse people are dicks to other trail users.

That's because most trail users are ignorant twats who don't know trail etiquette. Horses have the right of way. Period.
Not where I live. I can't think of a single place where a horse has right away over a person on paper. Obviously the horse will win vs a human.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Thinking about the shooting sports.....our club is pretty well rounded. Action shooting, pistol,  clays, long range, archery.

The only assholes are the benchrest guys, followed closely by the trap shooters.

Taken as a whole they seem to hate black rifles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:  That's because most trail users are ignorant twats who don't know trail etiquette. Horses have the right of way. Period.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Service Rifle folks tend to be very cool
View Quote
Came to say this.  I've only ever had a problem with one person, a match director who said he couldn't (as in, wouldn't) tell me what flag to watch on his range.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#34]

I had to set up a PA system for a tournament the next day.  One of the players thought we were going to be playing music next to "their" court, so they cut the Bluetooth receiver wire with a pair of nail clippers.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

Sounds about right.

They now have their own restaurant not far from me. Supposed to be pretty good food but it's got pickleball courts scattered all around/in it, I couldn't take that noise while I was eating
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By paul463:
Horse people are dicks to other trail users.

My daughter and I were hiking a trail in Yellowstone last summer and noticed a bison on the trail a hundred yards ahead of us or so.  The bison trotted away before we got anywhere near it and we thought nothing of it.  Then, farther on, some horseback riders come down the trail and my daughter and I get out of the way off the trail to let them by.  Lots of insects by the side of the trail and I was just hoping they'd pass by quickly, but the leader of the group stops and scolds us saying we "scared" the bison into running past them and nearly ran them off the trail.  Like there was any way we could have known there was a bison up ahead through the trees before we even saw it, OR like we could have known the horse group was coming, either.
Didn't leave me with a very positive impression of trail riders.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:55:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hillcountry] [#36]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
99.9% of my interactions with recreational boaters have been very pleasant.   People helping each other out, enjoying the day, and just having a good time.
View Quote

NOT…in NH!
A day on lake winnipesaukee especially during the weekends, is a collection of assholes the likes Ive never seen  Elsewhere. We have lots of boating “rules” that cannot possibly be monitored by marine patrol, fish and game, etc.
Most common is violators of NO WAKE zones…then the 150’ rule from other boaters while underway…then the 150’ rule from shore…then the speed limit…then the correct passage of markers and buoys while navigating, right of way, etc. All of these are broken/ignored by a large percentage of “boaters” on any given day. Never mind the shallow, sandy, places to anchor and relax…all are abused to no end. I don’t know where you do your boating but it ain’t NH for sure. Oh and best of all… the public launch ramps are a zoo, probably most anywhere though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:01:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#37]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

Came to say this.  I've only ever had a problem with one person, a match director who said he couldn't (as in, wouldn't) tell me what flag to watch on his range.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Service Rifle folks tend to be very cool

Yea, sometimes gun-club officer and match leadership positions are where curmudgeons go to die.  There are some that just aren't that pleasant.  

But in my experience most of them are pretty cool, and essentially all of the actual competitors are.  One thing I like about service rifle is there are less shenanigans at the top levels; where the action sports can have issues there.  

There used to be an action-shorts shooting facility in Texas called CCC, and the guy who ran that was probably the single "goodest" dude I've ever met (Jeremy M. I think was his name).  I want to be more like that guy.  There are some good dudes in the shooting community for sure!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#38]
ALMOST every shooting competition I went to had great people.

Except for that bitch in Oakdale, MN back in 2013 at the FIRST NIGHT OF USPSA, you couldn't bother explaining how the CoF works to my wife?

Oh yeah, because she was competing against you.  Twat.

Other than that, gun people are pretty cool.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SMR412:
I've been Riding/racing motocross since the 70's, AMAZINGLY wonderful group of people across the counrty.

In the last few years I've been doing some local 3 gun/multi gun/pistol matches and everyone has been welcoming, helpful and just cool.
View Quote

Though not a motocross guy, I've become of fan of offroad parks for ATV riding in the last few years. Some drunk assholes show, too, but in my experience, most are cool. I've seen plenty of examples of strangers helping others with towing and repairs.

On one of my first trips, some folks needed a plug kit to
get some teen's ATV back out there. I had one. I them to just just toss what was left in the back of my PU. When i got back, the kit was in the bed, rock on top. There was also a $10 hiding under it. (The kit costs like $5) At go-home time, they invited me over for dogs and burgers.

The freindliest, in my experience, by far  are at 3D achery invitational tourneys. Especially the traditional archery tourneys. My family did those for a decade. Real kid friendly, too.

Examples: my eldest girl wanted to start shooting. She was about 8. I'd quickly rustled up a hodgepodge of arrows for her for the shoot. The guy with the family closest to us saw her mix-matched arrows and asked if I'd mind if he gifted her some. He explained that he'd brewed up a set for his daughter and she refused to shoot.  I ageed. It was a beautiful set of 12, and her favorite colors. These were display quality. I offered payment, but he refused. (I later figured out he was a Green Beret. The guy was a truck).

Another was the camp next to us offering some deer backstrap samples to us and our kids. Our two ate the offered meat like candy. They both grew up eating deer. I was not aware after, but my two and their cousins kept slipping over to their table.  The little farts ate 3/4 of the huge pile.
I apologized, but the papa of that camp said something like it was food given by God and he was happy the wee ones got bellies full.

Also, many bow venders will just tell you to take a bow and shoot it to see if you like it. Some being rather expensive.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By XxbatraiderxX:

Can no longer tolerate the baseball crowd. For some reason that sport attracts the worst parents and the worst coaches.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By XxbatraiderxX:
Originally Posted By Whamo:
Little league baseball brings out the scum in scumbags.

Can no longer tolerate the baseball crowd. For some reason that sport attracts the worst parents and the worst coaches.

No doubt. My 7 year old kid's first foray into organized ball:

Coach: Hi, I'm Coach Dave

Me:  Hi Dave, I'm XXX, nice to meet you....

Coach:  Please call me COACH Dave.

Me: OK, please call me DOCTOR XXX   (I'm not a doctor, unless amateur gynecologist counts)

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Everyone I run into in Taekwondo seems friendly and nice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Hillcountry:

NOT…in NH!
A day on lake winnipesaukee especially during the weekends, is a collection of assholes the likes Ive never seen  Elsewhere. We have lots of boating “rules” that cannot possibly be monitored by marine patrol, fish and game, etc.
Most common is violators of NO WAKE zones…then the 150’ rule from other boaters while underway…then the 150’ rule from shore…then the speed limit…then the correct passage of markers and buoys while navigating, right of way, etc. All of these are broken/ignored by a large percentage of “boaters” on any given day. Never mind the shallow, sandy, places to anchor and relax…all are abused to no end. I don’t know where you do your boating but it ain’t NH for sure. Oh and best of all… the public launch ramps are a zoo, probably most anywhere though.
View Quote

Oh I sometimes see people who don’t follow the rules, but not asshole behavior like blasting through wake zones and such.  Mainly just not following proper right of way rules and stuff that can come from just not knowing the rules like they should.  But even that’s fairly uncommon.

And public ramps are for the poors.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

Been on the air since '54 and have found much fewer assholes on CW than on SSB.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
Originally Posted By phurba:

I got my ham license when I was 10. At most club meetings I was the youngest by multiple decades. In the beginning, everyone was helpful but their egos could not handle the possibility that someone younger than them knew something they didn’t.

At a field day in my early 30s I was running the 20m CW station. Oldest most curmudgeony member of the club pulled into the parking lot 50 feet away and fired up 20m phone from his truck. I walked over and said “Hey, are you by any chance on 20 meters? Because I’m over there and-“ “YES and you’re splattering all over the band!” “I’m not splattering, it’s just that our antennas are almost touching and we’re not using band pass filters to-“ “I’ve been a ham for 15 years and I know what I’m talking about!” “Ok, I’ve been a ham for 22 years and I know what I’m talking about. You can’t have two transmitters on the same band within spitting distance without using narrow filters and even then you need close coordination”. Old fart cussed me out and sped out of the park. Told the club president some story about me being disrespectful and arguing with him, and without even asking my side of the story asked me to leave the club.

Ham clubs are fine until someone’s ego gets bruised, then they’re full of assholes...

Been on the air since '54 and have found much fewer assholes on CW than on SSB.

Very true. Outside of a contest, nearly all CW ops are happy to reduce speed as slow as you need. On probably my 5th contact as a novice, a guy with a bug was calling CQ. I answered with my J-38 in shaky hands, sending /ERR about every 3rd letter, and he switched to a straight key and slowed down to about 3 WPM for me. He was a CW op in WWII and Korea IIRC, and was delighted that a "young gun" was learning CW. SKCC is very welcoming to newcomers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#44]
For whatever reason I've run into the most douchebags golfing.

Racing motocross people were mostly helpful, but there was the occasional idiot who started something on the track and wanted to fight in the pits.

The off road crowd is very friendly/helpful beyond the obligatory brand bashing.  The exception to that have been the "car culture" groups who seem to just want to be seen (and heard... all night) driving their 100k rigs down a gravel road to ruin a public campground for the night.

Gun people at the competitive level are a pretty cool crowd willing to help.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Well, no shit, we should be friends.  I do mostly canoe camping and have never bothered getting too friendly with others in this hobby because of the politics.  

Would rather be lonely and solo than spend time around a campfire with someone who’s uncomfortable with me wearing a gun and listening to them preach about climate change.
View Quote

@JimEb

Trust me....I always pay attention to your posts because I know you do some wilderness paddling as well. Even in the same places I go. TFF eastern side quiet waters, for example.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Friendliest? I found the skydiving community to be full of very friendly people. The downside was that they considered themselves to be very special people because they skydive.

You know how pilots will always mention that they are a pilot in the first few minutes of a conversation? Skydivers do it within the first 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I'm sure they'll let you surf at Waikiki Beach all you want.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Hillcountry:
NOT in NH!
A day on lake winnipesaukee especially during the weekends, is a collection of assholes the likes Ive never seen  Elsewhere. We have lots of boating "rules" that cannot possibly be monitored by marine patrol, fish and game, etc.
Most common is violators of NO WAKE zones then the 150' rule from other boaters while underway then the 150' rule from shore then the speed limit then the correct passage of markers and buoys while navigating, right of way, etc. All of these are broken/ignored by a large percentage of "boaters" on any given day. Never mind the shallow, sandy, places to anchor and relax all are abused to no end. I don't know where you do your boating but it ain't NH for sure. Oh and best of all  the public launch ramps are a zoo, probably most anywhere though.
View Quote
Watching the Alton boat ramps is pretty darn entertaining. Lay out a blanket and you'll be amused all day, if not subpoenaed as a witness.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#49]

I'm sure they'll let you surf at Waikiki Beach all you want.
View Quote

Just gotta wear the right T shirt, let em know you mean business.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]
RC Rock Crawling has some very nice people.  Break your truck and they'll tear one of theirs apart to get you going again.  Used to be able to leave thousands of dollars worth of stuff sitting out while you were out on the trail and nobody would touch it, but as it grows, thieves have started trickling in.

SxS world is full of assholes.  I used to winch anyone and everyone out as they got stuck but got tired of assholes just driving off afterwards and not even saying thank you.

The Crawlers and Coffee group here was full of assholes too.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top