User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Trap and Skeet shooters are terrible, as in more assholes than decent people.  Sporting clays is just the opposite.
View Quote

I can attest to this.  I worked at a shooting club years ago when I was in high school and the trap and skeet shooters were some of the most elitist assholes you'd ever come across.  They didn't like to help others learn to shoot and always complained and bitched during the tournaments we would host.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Least friendly, slow pitch softball.

Saw a dude shot in the back over a home run a couple years ago. He died (although he was the first to pull a gun and deserved his dirt nap)
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Trap and Skeet shooters are terrible, as in more assholes than decent people.  Sporting clays is just the opposite.
View Quote

This ^^

I was a crappy shotgunner when I was shooting 3 gun and decided to go to the local public trap range and give it a whirl. I found 3Gnr's for the most part very friendly and always ready to help another competitor with guns and ammo.

Trap shooters were cold, rude, and  unfriendly. I was treated like I was banging their wives.  Skeet was a little better, but the sporting clays peeps are fun on and off the course.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
Road cyclists are mostly assholes
View Quote

I was in a club and they all shit talk eachother behind their backs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Most people who are into power lifting are totally cool and ready to help with training and nutrition advice, spotting, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#6]
Combat sports guys are generally chill. If you come in like an asshole people are going to hurt you so I think it's kind of has to be that way.

Kids sports definitely has the most assholes, the parents.

Car stuff a mixed bag, some of those people have those sweet cars because they're scumbag criminals.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By paul463:
Horse people are dicks to other trail users.
View Quote

Horse people just suck in general.  Speaking from experience, they are the most self-entitled animal oriented people I've ever run into
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By governmentman:
golfers are strange.

In our extended family are about a half dozen really dedicated golfers.

As far as I can tell, they've lost the ability to have conversations that don't revolve around golf.

Summer cookout and casually talking about at the dinner table about the food? They start comparing it to the food at some golf tournament and proceed to spend the next half hour trying to talk about that course and how they did that day.

Every conversation is aggressively steered to golf.
View Quote

Sounds like pilots.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The "lifted bro truck street-racer" crowd has never struck me as being anything other than the utmost assholes.  I've seen them do shit like rev and buck their "rides" at old ladies coming out of stores and stuff.  I'd personally like to strangle at least a few.  twenty-five years ago they would be the riced-out Honda Civic "fast and furious" douches.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
RC car/truck racing had a very sudden downturn in the early 2000s and I don't think it ever recovered. There was a local group who tried to revive it and the man children who ruined it two decades ago managed to show up and ruin it once again within three months, threats of lawsuits being tossed around due to losing included.

A lot of the enthusiast auto events around here are self pruning. Someone making an ass out of themselves tends to disappear from the event pretty quickly and quietly. Shocking, as the streets sometimes tell a completely different story. Pretty rare to go to an event where someone isn't offering tools/labor/parts to those in need.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
Road cyclists are mostly assholes
View Quote

Came to post this.

I agree with OP though, mountain bikers have a very friendly culture.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Skydiving has some of the best people.
View Quote

Top men (and women).
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

You know how pilots will always mention that they are a pilot in the first few minutes of a conversation? Skydivers do it within the first 30 seconds.
View Quote

How do you know if someone is a skydiver/vegan/cross fitter?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#14]
bestest are autistic gun nuts who live in their mommy's basement and avoid soap and sunlight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#15]
people at death metal concerts are usually pretty friendly and nice
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Goodguys-style car events. People want to talk about and look at old/classic cars.

Not so much the wannabe "Fast and Furious" crowd.

Back when we were doing MG shoots there were very few *ssholes. Lots of cool people.

Kids sports events sometime bring out the worst in people.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#17]
BJJ and Judo people tend to be extremely kind and helpful.

I play a lot of Warhammer 40K and a good portion of people in that hobby are just straight up dicks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Karting had some of the nicest people when I was in it.
Except for the parents who thought their kid was going to be the next Jeff Gordon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 2Frosty:

Yeah, I feel like you’re only confirming the stereotype.

Most people who go on trails drive to the trail and walk around. They’re not studying for a walking test.  They’re not expecting to dodge pack animals and poo.

My experience is that mountain bikers do more to maintain trails than any other group.

Mad props to everyone who maintains trails.
View Quote

I often MTB the trails in Idaho with an electric chainsaw and clear the downfall as a side hobby.  Every other mountain biker that rides up jumps off his bike and gets into the action.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mancat:
I wanted to get into ham radio as a kid. Stopped by a local ham shop that was on my walk home from school, would look at all the radios, antennas, etc. I was maybe 12 or 13.

The grumpy old sparks behind the counter, after the fourth or fifth time I stopped in, angrily told me that unless I was going to buy something to get out and not come back. He was tired of seeing me in his shop.

It soured me on the very idea of it all. He could've instead, you know, handed me a study guide or something.
View Quote

I hate that he treated you that way.  I had the same thing happen once or twice as a teenager just browsing in a small hobby shop.

If you're still interested, the ARFCOM ham radio forum would be a great place to get started.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

That wasn't my experience.  I shot quite a bit of trap at a sportsman's club when I was a teenager and the old men were always willing to offer some advice or let me shoot their guns (I wanted a custom Browning BT-99 after that).
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#22]
My two main hobbies are radio and shooting.

Radio - huge mixed bag. You either get people who are overly helpful or are salty as hell and hate everything including themselves with a little Karen mixed in.  The average age of hams is pretty old, so you don't get shunned but not always welcomed either when you're young. A lot of clubs are mostly social clubs that aren't real keen on new folks also. I do solo stuff with no club affiliation nowadays. Got tired of trying to be part of the club but don't have enough gray hair yet. Love the hobby but not into the group stuff. A lot of the ARFCOM ham dudes are cool. Way laid back.

Shooting - has gotten WAY better. Most are friendly now. Didn't use to be that way. I stay out of club politics. I shoot, take classes and shoot matches when I can. I imagine if you get into the politics it's still dog eat dog.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I do model rocketry.  People in general seem to be fairly low-key until you are a regular at the launches, then they warm up.  Buuuut, also in general if you ask for help they are very willing to help you out.

I've yet to meet an asshole at launches.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top