BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LeadRX:

Certain parts are decent, but she lives in a rather shitty part of the city that I wouldn’t walk to my mailbox without my M4 at the ready.
View Quote

Some parts are okay-ish. I grew up a town or two north of there. Waterbury was always avoided if possible.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

She learned an important lesson about talking shit.  Some people walk around hoping for an opportunity to commit violence.
View Quote

I know someone who was shot at for honking at a driver that did not go when the light turned green.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Calculating:
I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I think it's stupid to hold businesses financially accountable for employees actions. How the fuck can they predict human insane behavior.
View Quote

Yeah, I was debating on posting this.

At first my emotional response was to sue! Sue everyone!

But then I thought, “what if I owned that business?” I mean, if I did my due diligence, to make sure the potential employee wasn’t a danger, then how am I responsible if he flies off the handle?  I’ve seen completely reasonable and responsible men lose it once in a while.

So, in the end, unless instacart didn’t do a background check on this clown, it’s not on them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Morgan and Morgan.
View Quote
+1000
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BoomFootShot:

But then I thought, “what if I owned that business?” I mean, if I did my due diligence, to make sure the potential employee wasn’t a danger, then how am I responsible if he flies off the handle?  I’ve seen completely reasonable and responsible men lose it once in a while.

So, in the end, unless instacart didn’t do a background check on this clown, it’s not on them.
View Quote

It wasn’t even the actual instacart employee. It was her boyfriend. Op updated the original post.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
After some research I also recommend Morgan and Morgan
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the update op. I hope the lady gets paid, I also hope the dirtbag  get ventilated
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Yet another case of someone pretending all people are equal and have the same moral structure and finding out the hard way they were wrong.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#9]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

IC is negligent in having zero checks and balances in who delivers after initial app registration

View Quote

This is very, very similar to double brokering in the trucking industry. I’m not aware of any instance of liability (absent of proof showing prior knowledge) or burdens placed on the cargo or load board owner for additional preventative measures beyond those required by law. In all cases, the original carrier is liable for the actions of the secondary carrier.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to Google "instacart".
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 1BMF:
Sounds like the work of deejay86
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By eolian:
Boyfriend or not instacart still owes somebody for the attack.
View Quote

But why?  Assuming they did the proper background checks.

What if you owned a business, and did the proper pre employment checks?  Would you be claiming responsibility for what this grown adult did while under your employ?

What if you hired someone and they let their significant other masquerade as them, while performing work duty? Is that on you?

At which point do you draw the line?

I understand the other side, don’t get me wrong. The scumbags in question probably don’t have a dime to their names, so how are they going to pay?  So the emotion kicks in, and people get angry and want someone to pay!  Totally understandable. But to just look for the entity that has the deepest pockets, because it’s perceived they didn’t use their crystal ball to predict the future, is some liberal type shit. Dude shoots people with a DD and Hornady, DD and Hornady gets sued. Makes no sense, correct?  Similar idea here.

And I can’t stress this enough, I get the anger. I get the emotion. Makes me mad too. But this is why we need to fix society. On all levels. From spiritual to educational to employment.

I want to say, “she should carry a gun!” And she should. But I’m more interested in building the society we used to have, where shit like this was rare.

I’m just your run of the mill moron, though, so I could be missing something obvious here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:23:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sebastian_MacMaine] [#13]
Originally Posted By 80085:
However, dirtbag bf was acting as an agent of Instacart by likely getting the groceries from the store via the app and delivering the groceries via the app.
View Quote

I swear I just read another story exactly like this some time last week, before OP's coworker got attacked.  Someone was expecting a female delivery driver, turned out to be a guy doing the delivery, and the guy attacked someone.  There were even some photos and names of the should-have-been-the-driver, a black female.

Edit: half a second after I clicked "submit" I remembered the thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-Completely-traumatized-Angie-Harmon-says-Instacart-driver-shot-and-killed-her-dog/5-2716973/

This one was in North Carolina and involved famous hot actress Angie Harmon, whose dog got shot by the actual driver (who wasn't the woman who was supposed to be delivering her groceries).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

I swear I just read another story exactly like this some time last week, before OP's coworker got attacked.  Someone was expecting a female delivery driver, turned out to be a guy doing the delivery, and the guy attacked someone.  There were even some photos and names of the should-have-been-the-driver, a black female.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-Completely-traumatized-Angie-Harmon-says-Instacart-driver-shot-and-killed-her-dog/5-2716973/

This one was in North Carolina and involved famous hot actress Angie Harmon, whose dog got shot by the actual driver (who wasn't the woman who was supposed to be delivering her groceries).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
However, dirtbag bf was acting as an agent of Instacart by likely getting the groceries from the store via the app and delivering the groceries via the app.

Beating a customer and shooting a dog that attacked the driver is not the same thing. Anyone attacked by a dog has the right to defend themselves. Unlike this incident, the driver did not flee and was not arrested. He or the woman driver or both are no longer independent contractors for the delivery service.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Shitty deal her getting her ass kicked hopefully she will get paid and that she learned a lesson. It don't matter if someone is complete dick
and deserves to have their teeth kicked in, if you are going to exchange words with them you damn sure better be ready to go hands on if not more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
But why?
View Quote

Victim sues Instacart, they in turn sue their driver for exposing them to the liability by letting loser BF do her job and commiting the felony level violence upon their valued customer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting.  Like I pointed out earlier, I've had several deliveries from men when the account showed an obviously female name.

I wondered if they were doing it to avoid the background checks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

Victim sues Instacart, they in turn sue their driver for exposing them to the liability by letting loser BF do her job and commiting the felony level violence upon their valued customer.
View All Quotes
But why?

A lot of good suing the driver is going to do.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#19]

The dude delivered 6 bags of groceries to the wrong address, apparently her house is easily confused with her neighbors, when she went to get them the guy was leaving and she told him it was the wrong address. He didn’t take kindly to that and called her a stupid bitch and she said something along the lines of “get a real job asshole”, then he proceeded to try to run her over and beat the shit out of her.

She has a concussion, severely bruised face, and two cracked ribs from him kicking her while she was unconscious.

ETA: this happened in Waterbury.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Wtf

Was the driver ...disrespected perhaps?

The dude delivered 6 bags of groceries to the wrong address, apparently her house is easily confused with her neighbors, when she went to get them the guy was leaving and she told him it was the wrong address. He didn’t take kindly to that and called her a stupid bitch and she said something along the lines of “get a real job asshole”, then he proceeded to try to run her over and beat the shit out of her.

She has a concussion, severely bruised face, and two cracked ribs from him kicking her while she was unconscious.

To be fair it sounds like she got equal treatment. Men have to conduct themselves appropriately because we all know that there is a line that can be crossed that will result in violence. Women on the other hand often hide behind the veil of femininity feeling quite comfortable they won’t get their ass kicked for talking out of hand,

Just to be clear… I don’t think what he did was right, but if any man said that to another man in that situation we probably would see exactly how it sparked to violence. Also she’s not getting paid squat unless dudes girlfriends company pays. Can’t get blood from a stone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Sounds like Instacart's problem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting.  Like I pointed out earlier, I've had several deliveries from men when the account showed an obviously female name.

View Quote

They are typically doing it as a "side hussle".  One person gets the account and they will sometimes do deliveries together or sometimes just one of them goes out and does them.   It seems like a lot of people have little to no idea how people actually work those types of jobs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]

What kind of attorney should she get?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

Well, get an attorney. I don’t think she’ll be needing a real job for a while. Did the driver end up in jail?

The kind that breaks knees with a .45
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Won’t this fall back on the girlfriend instead of instacart? I’m sure they have lawyers that will absolve them since  their driver was not actually driving.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:41:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#24]
Originally Posted By fike:

Apply that benchmark to everything. It’s an untenable slippery slope. Do you favor biometric sensors on firearms?

View Quote

I can’t open our manufacturers website or program a car without facial recognition. There’s no reason those apps couldn’t require it to “clock in”.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#25]
And just like that, all the con law scholars on GD became tort experts.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

I can’t open our manufacturers website or program a car without facial recognition. There’s no reason those apps wouldn’t require it to “clock in”.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Apply that benchmark to everything. It’s an untenable slippery slope. Do you favor biometric sensors on firearms?

I can’t open our manufacturers website or program a car without facial recognition. There’s no reason those apps wouldn’t require it to “clock in”.

And then the next person sues because it is easily defeated by having someone clock in for you….and on, and on.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#27]

And then the next person sues because it is easily defeated by having someone clock in for you….and on, and on.

View Quote

Obviously it’s not fool proof, but from the employers perspective it would shift the blame to the employee pretty quickly.

Big difference between “there’s nothing stopping Billy from working for Sarah” and “Sarah clocked Billy in to work on her account”. Here’s the time stamp, here’s GPS data, here’s the photo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

It wasn’t even the actual instacart employee. It was her boyfriend. Op updated the original post.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Lucky thing the driver didn't shoot her dog.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

I'm sure Instacart will say "the drivers are independent contractors" and try to wash their hands of all of it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uncle_big_green] [#30]
Originally Posted By Bat15:

Beating a customer and shooting a dog that attacked the driver is not the same thing. Anyone attacked by a dog has the right to defend themselves. Unlike this incident, the driver did not flee and was not arrested. He or the woman driver or both are no longer independent contractors for the delivery service.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bat15:

LOL.

You meant being a pussy/sociopath and shooting a little old dog. You're right. It's not the same thing, but neither are excusable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kuhndog:

To be fair it sounds like she got equal treatment. Men have to conduct themselves appropriately because we all know that there is a line that can be crossed that will result in violence. Women on the other hand often hide behind the veil of femininity feeling quite comfortable they won’t get their ass kicked for talking out of hand,

Just to be clear… I don’t think what he did was right, but if any man said that to another man in that situation we probably would see exactly how it sparked to violence. Also she’s not getting paid squat unless dudes girlfriends company pays. Can’t get blood from a stone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuhndog:
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Wtf

Was the driver ...disrespected perhaps?

No. If I was on the job and the customer yelled at me, I wouldn't beat the shit out of him, especially if I fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CMiller:

I have so many questions.
View Quote
It's oblivious she didn't tip enough.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

That would be my guess
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bayouhazard] [#34]
If instacart is liable for contracting with that shopper, then whoever contracted with instacart to shop for them and deliver their groceries is even more liable than instacart. They started this whole chain of events by placing the order.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#35]
So he was a "straw deliverer"...  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:13:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thump_rrr] [#36]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

If the groceries were delivered to the wrong address, then she wasn't the customer. She wasn't limited by the terms of service.
View Quote

Instacart Uber Eats employed (i'll use the name Jane for example.) Jane to deliver to customers.
The problem is Jane allowed her boyfriend Quayshawn to use her profile to deliver groceries for Instacart Uber Eats.

It is possible that Instacart Uber Eats has absolutely no liability in this whole mess.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

The website took the money.
The website picked the driver.
The website paid the driver.
View Quote

Wrong.

The driver allowed her boyfriend to use her profile.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Calculating:
I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I think it's stupid to hold businesses financially accountable for employees actions. How the fuck can they predict human insane behavior.

Wherever the liability lands, IC would probably be wise to slip her a sizeable enough settlement to shut up about it.  The video getting out and being distributed would definitely make people think twice about using the service.  Their position right now needs to be "how far can we go to make sure this is a happy customer and will talk about how quickly we resolved the issue?".  Might be expensive, but not as expensive as the service being boycotted or avoided.  Not too hard to turn the shit sandwich into lemonade if they're willing to cough up the bucks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

I haven’t been around here very long.  But I know a troll post when I see one.
View Quote

Or you don’t have the intelligence to think this situation through logically.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

If you took your boyfriend’s uniform to his job, and kicked the shit out of someone, you honestly think it’s the companies responsibility? They probably didn’t even know this was occurring.

Oh, you want more laws and rules?  Forced biometric checks? Etc.

More regulation?  From the government?  It’s funny how quickly people flip flop their stance when it doesn’t fit the current narrative.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

I haven’t been around here very long.  But I know a troll post when I see one.

Yeah, okay:  Duty owed - Deliver groceries without inflicting ass whoopin to client
                    Duty Breached- Did not deliver groceries and whooped clients ass.

Your move Aristotle
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#42]

If you took your boyfriend’s uniform to his job, and kicked the shit out of someone, you honestly think it’s the companies responsibility? They probably didn’t even know this was occurring.

Oh, you want more laws and rules?  Forced biometric checks? Etc.

More regulation?  From the government?  It’s funny how quickly people flip flop their stance when it doesn’t fit the current narrative.
View Quote

Nice red herring Professor Moriarty.  A stolen police uniform wasn’t used as a ruse for a home invasion.  A subbed, sub contractor was used to actually perform the duties set forth by the employer for expected remuneration by the employer.  Ask your husband to explain it to you f you still don’t see the difference.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#43]

This is very, very similar to double brokering in the trucking industry. I’m not aware of any instance of liability (absent of proof showing prior knowledge) or burdens placed on the cargo or load board owner for additional preventative measures beyond those required by law. In all cases, the original carrier is liable for the actions of the secondary carrier.

View Quote

Interesting
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Gary_Plauche:
I don't know why people use these services.

I get it if you're disabled or something like that, but what did you do before these apps?

Why invite total strangers to your house?  Get in the car and go get your own shit and you won't have to pay their absurd charges.
View Quote

It looks like you're one of the poors and not making 87 gazillions an hour working from home. Only poors like you can afford to waste their precious time and go to a store and shop there rubbing shoulder with other poors.

I don't use these services either because my butler's assistant is fully capable of doing this shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Either way it was instacart’s contractor’s actions which lead to this woman’s injuries.  

Don’t see how Instacart could weasel out of any liability here.  If they could successfully not be responsible because an employee violated policy then that defense would be a bulletproof way to insulate anyone.  A company would be immune from anything no matter what an employee/contractor did.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#46]
@LeadRX

Is the douchebag in jail yet?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Baddy:

There was a case down here where a Best Buy delivery guy murdered an old lady and set her on fire in her home while delivering a refrigerator.

Guy charged and convicted. Lady's family sued the sh#t out of Best Buy, JB Hunt (the contracted carrier), a subcontracted carrier, and both delivery drivers.

Lawsuit was later dropped by the family with prejudice with no public notice of reason. But it's not hard to imagine all parties and their insurance wrote big checks to make things go away and the family be quiet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Baddy:

There was a case down here where a Best Buy delivery guy murdered an old lady and set her on fire in her home while delivering a refrigerator.

Guy charged and convicted. Lady's family sued the sh#t out of Best Buy, JB Hunt (the contracted carrier), a subcontracted carrier, and both delivery drivers.

Lawsuit was later dropped by the family with prejudice with no public notice of reason. But it's not hard to imagine all parties and their insurance wrote big checks to make things go away and the family be quiet.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2020/01/11/deliveryman-accused-of-killing-boca-woman-at-21-years-old-i-threw-my-life-away/

According to transcripts of the statement, Lachazo said he lived with his mother and stepfather in Hialeah.

He was born in Cuba and came to the United States in 2014 and completed two years at Miami Springs Senior High before getting his GED. He drove a late model Mustang and had a tattoo of its speedometer.

When Lachazo is asked flat out if he uses any drugs, his response is always redacted from the transcript. When asked if he used drugs on the day of Udell’s delivery, he said no.

However, a police report released after the attack said Lachazo admitted to recently using cocaine and marijuana through a vape pen.

According to other records, a search of the truck Lachazo was driving in that morning found a black vape pen in the car’s cupholder, a glass pipe with an unknown residue and gray brillo pad inside a backpack belonging to Lachazo, and a lighter in the car’s front seat.

He references “people” who he began to purchase marijuana from during high school. He said that a year and a half ago, he began to purchase another type of drug from them — the name of the drug is redacted from the transcript.

Lachazo claimed these people had “touched” him a month prior and that he owed them money — so much so he was falling behind on his car payments. He said they called him to do things, “like robbery, like stealing.”

If he didn’t, he said, they threatened to kill his mother.

At one point, Lachazo claimed, a man was waiting for him outside of his home in Hialeah that morning. Lachazo said the man was waiting for him “to give him money, to give him the things.”

Detectives ask Lachazo if these people directed him to attack Udell and rob her. “My mom,” Lachazo responds, repeatedly. Later he says, “Her or my mom.”

Although Lachazo is consistent about referring to the “people” throughout the transcript, as well as fearing for his mother’s safety, whether that pressure is real is cast into doubt at other points.

During the conversation, Lachazo said, “I see things lately.”

Elsewhere he said, “Those people appear everywhere” and suggests they constantly bother him.

Later, he talks of hallucinations and paranoia. “Sometimes I felt … someone was watching me or something,” he said.

And this is why random drug spot checks are a thing, people. Drugs can break people prone to schizophrenia, causing events like this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 1BMF:
Sounds like the work of deejay86
View Quote

Was the phrase "Cuntlick!" used?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:37:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#49]

View Quote

Smart.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

One without a temper like a delivery driver.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top