My parents?
Sure.

My wife's dad?
Absolutely.
Wife's mom?
Not a fucking chance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I let my wife drive my old truck but not the new one yet. A few more miles as it hasn't cracked 1000mi. I will be with her on the maiden voyage as the new one is quite a bit higher and longer than yhe old one. Me lending my trucks to women doesn't end well but some times you have to.

If we are both going somewhere I am driving. I am a poor passenger.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure.  Why not?  Its their DUI, not mine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Most can't.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve been out of town and let a friend have my house and access to any of my vehicles while I was gone. I tend to not associate with people I can’t trust like that
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Licensed simians and dogs with above average driving skills.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
My car is a manual which by default limits the pool a lot these days. I have taught several friends to drive manual in various things including my own stuff, I don't mind letting others drive my stuff at all as long as they're competent. My mom had to drive my car recently and was nervous because it had been at least 20 years since she drove anything but an automatic, I had to convince her it would be fine and unsurprisingly she had literally zero issues and didn't kill it a single time.

There is a difference between me riding passenger in my stuff and someone else borrowing the car. The latter is a MUCH shorter list than the first.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
My daily driver?  No fucks given.

My good cars? Nah.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:05:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#10]
I had my father drive once. I drove from LA to Las Vegas to pick them up. We had lunch and turned around for the drive back and I let my father drive once we got out in the desert. When we hit the far side about 40 miles outside of LA I swapped back to the driver. He was in his 70s by then and a bit slower than before and I didn't want him driving a lifted SUV for the first time in traffic.

I taught two of my nieces to drive, one was a no-worry and the other one was all worry!

I had them out off-road and going through rough patches of trail before I let them drive on pavement. One of the girl's mom lives right along the power lines and there were lots of trails that they couldn't get into much trouble on. They were taking selfies of each other driving over rocks and climbing rutted hills in my Xterra and later Jeep. I let the good one drive my 350Z before selling it. She might have tickled 6000 RPM once with lots of encouragement.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
I could care less who drives
View Quote

Exactly how much less could you care? 1.3% less? 14% less? Come on man, don’t leave us hanging.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
I get together with three of my old NAVY buddies every year.  We all live in different parts of the country and rotate to whose area we go to.
Anyway, when they come out here, we usually spend a couple days driving around WA State and camping.
I always toss my keys to them and let them drive.

I do this with other friends on road trips as well.

I could care less who drives, but it always seems to surprise people when I do this.  I think it just mixes things up and helps a little with the sense of 'adventure' - makes them involved in the trip in a different way.
View Quote

How does that work with insurance then (not sure how that works in the US); they are covered under a blanket policy you have, or their own ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
rarely.

unless ive been drinking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Me behind the camera, a hitchhiker, and two other Arfcommers up front...

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
very rarely but if on a epic road trip we all may take turns driving to get to the destination
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope. I don’t have a lot of confidence in people that likely never got a car sideways before.  😉
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:57:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#18]
I've let my friends take the wheel of some of mine before.  Its one thing for them to sit in the passenger seat and get planted when I stomp on the gas.  Its completely different for them to get to floor it and bang through the gears.

IMO, these cars were meant to be enjoyed.  If I think one of my friends or family will get a kick out of it, why not let them flog on it a bit.  I have insurance, and if it breaks, I know how to fix it.  The experience is worth the cost.  

For all my boring cars and trucks, IDGAF.  As long as I trust the person to not tear it up and to bring it back with more gas that it left with, they can use it.  I have a few loaners I pass out when friends and family need a truck or their ride breaks.

If we're on a road trip, I dont mind not driving at all.  I'll be the DJ and help watch out for cops while playing on my phone.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If I’ve been drinking definitely, if I need a nap, will only trust a few with this…

Excluding these situations… I drive.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#20]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
I let my wife drive my old truck but not the new one yet. A few more miles as it hasn't cracked 1000mi. I will be with her on the maiden voyage as the new one is quite a bit higher and longer than yhe old one. Me lending my trucks to women doesn't end well but some times you have to.

If we are both going somewhere I am driving. I am a poor passenger.
View Quote

Late 80's. Truck had less than 10k miles. I let relatives borrow my truck when they were moving. It came back with:
- 3" x 1" x 1/8" deep crease in the side of the right rear qp (correct part?)
- many small and deep scratches on the sides of both rear QPs
- smelled like cigarettes and coffee
- coffee spilled in floor on both sides of console

I have never let anybody outside of my household borrow a vehicle since that day.
They obviously loaded and unloaded over the side, and not the back. They smoked in the truck after promising not to. They spilled coffee in it. Cocksuckers. These were not kids. They were in their 40s, and drove expensive sedans. The fact that I was obviously pissed off at them did not sit well in their bible thumping minds.
LOL, Less than a year later, hubby truck borrower (overbearing self riotous asshole) had a surprise child show up at his door. The daughter of a fellow parishioner half his age. End of marriage...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
I've let my friends take the wheel of some of mine before.  Its one thing for them to sit in the passenger seat and get planted when I stomp on the gas.  Its completely different for them to get to floor it and bang through the gears.

IMO, these cars were meant to be enjoyed. If I think one of my friends or family will get a kick out of it, why not let them flog on it a bit.  I have insurance, and if it breaks, I know how to fix it.  The experience is worth the cost.  

View Quote

Definitely. Watching my 70 year old mother laugh as she floored it in my old manual M2C is a great memory even if it scared me a bit in the moment

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
VERY rare....

But I do lend out my vehicle to family A LOT...

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
So like..you never get on a airplane?  A train or a bus?  You have never been a passenger on a boat?  

Or is it just cars for some reason.
View Quote

I have never flown
Did ride a train once
I havent been on a bus since grade school
I dont like water
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#24]
My last new car had 456,123 miles on the odometer when it died.
I put all but 10 miles on it.

I drive.  Period.  

Until my daughter got her learners permit.
And Iowa allows parents to be driving instructors.
I hate the passenger seat.  But the things you do for your kids...
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#25]
No issue with that. I have let girlfriends drive various vehicles (except motorcycles) and let friends drive often on long trips.

I used to ride around with my boss in my current daily driver before I bought it from her.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#26]
No.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Depends on the car and the person.  

The hoopty or the truck?  Sure, have at it; they're both old and beat up, so there's no biggie if they pick up another ding.

The actual nice cars?  Only the SO, because she's an excellent driver (and they're all manuals anyway).

The classic cars?  LOL, no.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Long time ago I let a coworker drive my car and he hit a pole. Had to claim it on my insurance and he got fired. Asshole didn't even pay my $50 deductible.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I drive a manual and most people can't, so....
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes.  The designated driver.  Also, the executor of my estate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Gotta teach the kids and nephews somehow.

But otherwise, no.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:47:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#32]
My fiancee won't drive my rigs because she thinks she might hurt one and because they are all manual transmissions.

Only close family and one friend is allowed to drive my rigs. My mom loves my Audi. Probably more than her own but she won't admit it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top