Richard Jewell movie (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USA1st:
Why was the 90s the decade when shit started to get fucked up?
View Quote

Boomers hit midlife, and really got the lead out.  It’s been downhill ever since.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a girlfriend at the time the movie came out.  It really woke her eyes up a bit.  

I don't trust the government, well at all.  She was raising in a military family and married a military husband. Small town, apple pie, the whole works.  We had some conversations and fights about the government.  She believed that the government was mostly good.  I believe that pretty much everything is a lie.

This movie opened her eyes a little
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I am setting here watching Clint Eastwoods movie about Richard Jewell for the first time.

I watched the Manhunt series but this seems to go into more depth.

I was 11 at the time and only barely remembering it in real time.

How bad was this guy fucked for months?
View Quote

That dude did the right thing and got fucked good
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Clint Eastwood is a national treasure. He won’t be with us a whole lot longer.  

Richard Jewell was a damn hero.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

Grunge, California Rolls, and Saved by the Bell.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

Grunge, California Rolls, and Saved by the Bell.

Saved By the Bell and Slick Willy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#7]
What's even more sad and fucked than his treatment by the FBI was the way he was treated by the media and the public.

The media acted like judge and jury and basically condemned him as the bomber without any actual proof. And the public just ran with it as fact. To me, that was one of the points in our history where the media really started to take control of things and act like more than just a source of news and information. They wanted so much to actually control the narrative.

Also, the 90s was a fairly fucked up decade thanks to the feds:
August 1992
April 1993
July 1996
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
It's always been fucked up, especially the FBI under J. Edna Hoover. The 90's is just when the curtain started to peel back, due to the newly minted CNN driving a 24 hour news cycle.
View All Quotes
It's always been fucked up, especially the FBI under J. Edna Hoover. The 90's is just when the curtain started to peel back, due to the newly minted CNN driving a 24 hour news cycle.

I'd throw in the appearance of the white-trash criminal Clinton and his Arkansas grift machine
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I was deployed that summer, Qatar, flight 800, Olympic bombing and Kobar tower all that summer. They had to wrap that up quick, Clinton had to many attacks, to include OKC, the FBI was under serious pressure, so they pick a guy and tried to f him over hard.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

Serious answer.

24x7 cable news.

View Quote
Totally!  Fluid situations with "no dead air". The reporters weren't smart enough to just not pull shit out of their asses, give their personal opinions, and say whatever came to mind.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cossa:
Haven't seen the movie but that guy got fucked by the media
View Quote
Which was being fed by the FBI.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Difficult to see any logic in trying to convict someone that you know didn’t set a bomb.  That I’ve seen, bombers don’t stop until they’re caught or blow themselves up.  Knowingly convicting the wrong guy when the real bomber ends up doing it again imo would have made the fbi look even worse.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a Netflix? Documentary on solving big crimes and the Atl bombing is one of them. They have the FBI agents that worked the case and they glossed over the fact that they missed on Jewell. They were like oh well. Once we got focused on Rudolph we worked the case till it went cold bla bla bla.   They were such smug pricks patting themselves on the back
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I am setting here watching Clint Eastwoods movie about Richard Jewell for the first time.

View Quote
The Feds, cops and media fucked Mr. Jewel right into the grave. His reputation was ruined in a witch hunt when he should have been celebrated for going above and beyond to save others.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

I happened to be watching Olympics coverage late at night when the bombing happened, so saw events play out live. What was shown live on TV deviates from the narrative somewhat. It was disheartening. By the next morning the events that were broadcast the night before were memory holed and never shown again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Originally Posted By SuperX925:
I’ve read enough about the bombing and the fucked up investigation to never, ever trust law enforcement again.

I happened to be watching Olympics coverage late at night when the bombing happened, so saw events play out live. What was shown live on TV deviates from the narrative somewhat. It was disheartening. By the next morning the events that were broadcast the night before were memory holed and never shown again.

I know a chef that owned a catering service at the time. He was there at the time and said there was much more that happened that didn't make the news or the official narrative.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
What the FBI did was obviously way over the top.  The rub is that he fit the profile of a wannabe hero to a T.  There have been many other cases in which somebody saved the day, but actually were the culprit to begin with.  LAPD had an officer "find" an explosive device under a school bus during the 1984 Olympics.  Unfortunately, he planted it.  I had a case similar to that in a parking lot.  The security guard/parking lot attendant "found" a device under a car that had been parked in his lot.  My partner and I smelled bullshit and found the bomb-making materials in his guard shack.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
Difficult to see any logic in trying to convict someone that you know didn’t set a bomb.  That I’ve seen, bombers don’t stop until they’re caught or blow themselves up.  Knowingly convicting the wrong guy when the real bomber ends up doing it again imo would have made the fbi look even worse.
View Quote

Agree. The only way it makes sense is if you know who did do it but they are off limits so you have to throw a sacrifice into the wood chipper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TLD05:

Agree. The only way it makes sense is if you know who did do it but they are off limits so you have to throw a sacrifice into the wood chipper.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TLD05:
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

Makes one ponder the Jan 6 bombs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#19]
That was the last movie I saw in a theater.  I find that a bit ironic considering all that has happened since.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:24:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Strela] [#20]
The .Gov and the MSM colluded (yes, I said it) to f**k Richard Jewell. Shameful.

Remember, this is just 3 years after .Gov did this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Best line, when his lawyer tells him to bring out all his guns before the FBI comes, and is a bit shocked at his nice starter pack: "Yeah, we are in Georgia."
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Some fibs shoulda got jail time for that.

I remember it well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:39:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I watched the movie when it came out i was totally unaware of how they tried to railroad Jewell.
I remember when it all went down Rudolph apparently had been staying in my hood either at somebodys house or he had rented one.
LEO went door to door looking for info. Something about him in a red truck.
My first wife went to some church were he was or had been a member because her family all had seen him there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:
That movie was hard to watch. The shit they did to that poor guy was heartbreaking.
View Quote

They are still doing the same sh!t to people every single day.  Every single day.

The only reason it has not happened to you or me is it is not our turn, yet.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jd1:
Look up Steven Hatfield post 9/11 anthrax scare. Ruined that guy too falsely.

jd1
View Quote

Wen Ho Lee
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#26]
The Internet of the 90's bears almost no resemblance to the Internet of today. Residential market penetration was much lower, and almost universally dial-up. Social media was Usenet, early bulletin boards such as Arfcom, and chat rooms. Audio/video was pathetic RealMedia jerky videos and alt.binaries. The most popular search engine was Yahoo. E-commerce was in it's infancy. And the government and news platforms had just barely started using it for propaganda.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By d16man:

The internet
The Internet of the 90's bears almost no resemblance to the Internet of today. Residential market penetration was much lower, and almost universally dial-up. Social media was Usenet, early bulletin boards such as Arfcom, and chat rooms. Audio/video was pathetic RealMedia jerky videos and alt.binaries. The most popular search engine was Yahoo. E-commerce was in it's infancy. And the government and news platforms had just barely started using it for propaganda.

All communications were two miles uphill, both ways, in the snow barefooted.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:01:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLASwamp] [#27]
The 90s was the beginning of a new phase for the left in tearing down America. Its values, identity, culture, history... it all began to fall under attack. It saw the rise of political correctness as a concept which would eventually become a strict requirement. The movement to legalize gay marriage was a direct attack on the family. The left began to redefine what words meant. The AWB was a massive attack on the 2A. It was starting to become cool with leftists to hate the Constitution and anything else that symbolized national beliefs.

It was subtle at first. The snowball started small. But that snowball began to roll down the hill in the 90s.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
There was a lot of ridiculous pseudo science bullshit back then, like psyche profiling.

Oddly, the real bomber was kind of an Arfcom hero.
View Quote

Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Good article about the town and chief who finally hired Jewell after he was cleared.

Atlanta-Do the Right Thing: A Police Chief in Luthersville Takes a Chance on Richard Jewell
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Wasn't it Attorney General Janet Reno who pressured the FBI to pick a suspect and close the case quickly?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ADKRebel:

Care to elaborate?
View Quote

The guy who did the bombing is a folk hero to many on Arfcom. It’s pretty straight forward. There have been plenty of threads over the years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

FBI group think did Jewell in.  It's only become worse there since.

I was at Atlanta TDY for the Olympics.  No one but the FBI thought it was Jewell.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#33]

The guy who did the bombing is a folk hero to many on Arfcom. It’s pretty straight forward. There have been plenty of threads over the years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ADKRebel:

Care to elaborate?

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#34]
In FBI memory hole.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#35]
That movie was hard to watch. The shit they did to that poor guy was heartbreaking.
View Quote

Makes you wonder how many guys have been rail roaded but didn't get as lucky as Richard in being found innocent?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#36]
They made his life a living hell. Poor guy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:09:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ExFed1811] [#37]
Originally Posted By Moon-Watcher:
What the FBI did was obviously way over the top.  The rub is that he fit the profile of a wannabe hero to a T.  There have been many other cases in which somebody saved the day, but actually were the culprit to begin with.  LAPD had an officer "find" an explosive device under a school bus during the 1984 Olympics.  Unfortunately, he planted it.  I had a case similar to that in a parking lot.  The security guard/parking lot attendant "found" a device under a car that had been parked in his lot.  My partner and I smelled bullshit and found the bomb-making materials in his guard shack.
View Quote

I was a federal agent assigned to a GBI task force for the Olympics (I even helped work the bomb scene there in a very small way, I was one of the guys putting orange flags out everywhere we found bomb shrapnel).

The command center for that bombing was chaos from the get go, with violent arguments between the FBI, ATF and GBI over targeting Jewel.  It ended up with ATF and GBI just throwing their hands up at the FBI's insistence it was Jewell.

Jewel just didn't fit the profile of someone who could make a sophisticated bomb like that.  There was no history of him blowing things up or having the background to build a timed explosive device.  I remember my GBI partner telling me, "When we find who really did this, he's going to be someone who has  been blowing stuff up his entire life before he decided to start  blowing up people."  Which fits Eric Rudolf, the real bomber, to a T.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:23:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#38]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Not sure what gave you the impression that clown world started in the 1990s.

The world has always been a screwed up place.  The only difference is that there's more cameras on it now than say 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Serious answer.

24x7 cable news.

View Quote

Have to agree with this one. They had to have something to fill the news cycle for 24 hours a day every day. So they had to go looking for stories.
Also, the FBI, CIA, etc were always bad guys. This is just one instance where what they did was brought to light.

To those saying the Internet. The internet wasn't nearly what it is today then, it was Geocities sites, AIM for kids chatting, and nerds. The rise of Social media which started in the mid 00s is what has created our current dystopia.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Richard Jewell & 13 Hours should be required viewing in High School and History of the World part 1.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#43]
They screwed him big time but he helped them by running his mouth. If anyone learns anything from the whole shitshow it should be keep your mouth shut.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:

Makes you wonder how many guys have been rail roaded but didn't get as lucky as Richard in being found innocent?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:

A bunch. Many. Sometimes I wonder if the answer is "most".

These days my first inclination is to assume they're scapegoating. 30+ years of running these scams means they're probably pretty good by now at it too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Good recommendation.    Very disturbing movie.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#46]

And just think. The government would have zero issues doing the exact same thing to you.

Federal law enforcement sure had some bangers in the 90s..
View Quote

Remember when the FBI leaked information on who their prime suspect was in the anthrax incidents in Washington?

Dr. Steven Hatfill lost his job at Ft. Detrick in Maryland and was tried for years in the media.

FBI followed him around everywhere, dug up his yard, drained a pond where he was once seen.

Girlfriend left him and his life was destroyed.

After years of this shit, another researcher at the same facility committed suicide and the FBI THEN stated that the real perp was probably Bruce Ivans.

The FBI should stick with what they do best; shooting children from a distance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/02/washington/02anthrax.html
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:52:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: klinc] [#47]
Originally Posted By Little_Bo_Peep:

Have to agree with this one. They had to have something to fill the news cycle for 24 hours a day every day. So they had to go looking for stories.
Also, the FBI, CIA, etc were always bad guys. This is just one instance where what they did was brought to light.

To those saying the Internet. The internet wasn't nearly what it is today then, it was Geocities sites, AIM for kids chatting, and nerds. The rise of Social media which started in the mid 00s is what has created our current dystopia.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Little_Bo_Peep:

...and that started with Jessica and the well.

Originally Posted By Banditman:
where did you watch it?

Amazon prime video

Thank you... Wanted to watch it way back when and completely forgot about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

Absolutely, and anyone who watched and got the impression he got fucked over got the right impression. I remember it well. The poor guy was crucified, and his reputation never recovered, although there was a skit on Saturday Night Live later on, in which the real Richard Jewell, making a cameo, walks into Janet Reno's office, slaps her, and she says something like "see you same time tomorrow Richard."

And to show you the depths of how the media covers for Democrats and leftists, you can find any number of Janet Reno SNL skits, but that one seems to be memory holed.  At one point someone hosted it on Vimeo, but it got smoked there too. Absolutely amazing. Scavenger hunt to see if anyone can find it.
View Quote

Janet Reno's Dance Party with Rudy Giuliani - SNL

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:19:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#49]
This is completely fucked up
View Quote

Originally Posted By skippycoop:
His life was unjustly ruined
View Quote

And just think. The government would have zero issues doing the exact same thing to you.

Federal law enforcement sure had some bangers in the 90s..
View Quote

Even earlier than that.  Just ask the American citizens of Japanese descent what happened to them during WWII.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tct1000:
ending diner scene is really well done.  top notch cast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmU0nBVeex8
View Quote

Holy shit, that's Stingray from Cobra Kai!
Page / 3
Richard Jewell movie (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top