Site Notices
Richard Jewell movie (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FDC:
Good article about the town and chief who finally hired Jewell after he was cleared.

Atlanta-Do the Right Thing: A Police Chief in Luthersville Takes a Chance on Richard Jewell
View Quote

Thanks for posting. Great story!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Moon-Watcher:
What the FBI did was obviously way over the top.  The rub is that he fit the profile of a wannabe hero to a T.  There have been many other cases in which somebody saved the day, but actually were the culprit to begin with.  LAPD had an officer "find" an explosive device under a school bus during the 1984 Olympics.  Unfortunately, he planted it.  I had a case similar to that in a parking lot.  The security guard/parking lot attendant "found" a device under a car that had been parked in his lot.  My partner and I smelled bullshit and found the bomb-making materials in his guard shack.
View Quote

Well yeah, there’s that.  But then again there’s the FBI Agent that was with him all that day that swore up and down he had no opportunity to plant that bomb without him seeing it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Wolfstone:
They screwed him big time but he helped them by running his mouth. If anyone learns anything from the whole shitshow it should be keep your mouth shut.
View Quote

Yep.  It’s common for honest people indoctrinated by the government to think that the authorities are the good guys and really want to help honest citizens that have been falsely accused get the issue straightened out.  Took me a while to figure that one out myself.  Shut up and get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I was surprised by this movie, wasn't expecting to like it (ho hum another boring crime drama) but it was much better than expected.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

Not sure what gave you the impression that clown world started in the 1990s.

The world has always been a screwed up place.  The only difference is that there's more cameras on it now than say 100 years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By woodsie:
Originally Posted By USA1st:
Why was the 90s the decade when shit started to get fucked up?

Not sure what gave you the impression that clown world started in the 1990s.

The world has always been a screwed up place.  The only difference is that there's more cameras on it now than say 100 years ago.

During the late eighties, I noticed there was a growing number of liberals.  Seemed like it really started increasing during the nineties.  There’s definitely always been screwed up people, but their influence absolutely seems to grow worse at times.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember when this movie first came out and thinking to myself that I didn't really want to watch it.  I was somewhat familiar with the story and figured all it would do is piss me off even more.  I still haven't watched it, and probably won't.

At least Jewell got money out of a bunch of the news organizations.  Probably not anywhere near enough.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Watching it now about half way through. My wife knew nothing about the whole story. She’s heartbroken watching it so far. Dude got fucked.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Yep.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Originally Posted By ADKRebel:

Care to elaborate?

The guy who did the bombing is a folk hero to many on Arfcom. It's pretty straight forward. There have been plenty of threads over the years.

Yep.
Glad I never saw that.  I do remember seeing shirts in North GA that said "Run Rudolph Run".  I may of made a few choice comments to the locals about the T-shirts and that they were lucky Rudolph hadn't injured or killed one of my kin.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:12:54 AM EDT
[#10]
They screwed him big time but he helped them by running his mouth. If anyone learns anything from the whole shitshow it should be keep your mouth shut.
View Quote

He didnt keep his mouth shut for the same reason Gen Flynn didnt keep his mouth shut... the mistaken belief that they were talking to colleagues instead of inquisitors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

Grunge, California Rolls, and Saved by the Bell.

The 90's doomed us all.
View Quote
24 hour news channels...
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AZ_Mike:

Wen Ho Lee
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZ_Mike:

Wen Ho Lee

Not going to derail the thread, but no.

He didn't 'run his mouth'. According to people there, they fucked him by playing up how much he was 'part of the team' and he was Great and... that was his career field. He thought they were on the same side. 1996? Most would make the same mistake.

Originally Posted By ExFed1811:

I was a federal agent assigned to a GBI task force for the Olympics (I even helped work the bomb scene there in a very small way, I was one of the guys putting orange flags out everywhere we found bomb shrapnel).

The command center for that bombing was chaos from the get go, with violent arguments between the FBI, ATF and GBI over targeting Jewel.  It ended up with ATF and GBI just throwing their hands up at the FBI's insistence it was Jewell.

Jewel just didn't fit the profile of someone who could make a sophisticated bomb like that.  There was no history of him blowing things up or having the background to build a timed explosive device.  I remember my GBI partner telling me, "When we find who really did this, he's going to be someone who has  been blowing stuff up his entire life before he decided to start  blowing up people."  Which fits Eric Rudolf, the real bomber, to a T.

Well fuck, that's pretty cool.

Not skylining you, but... how authentic were the parts of the movie you'd be familiar with? I'm especially curious as to the portrayal of the bomb techs.

Thread legal:

I have tried twice to get him a Presidential medal posthumously. It would be a very Arf thing to do if a bunch of us agreed to pester our congressional representation about it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#14]
You might want to go back and review the docs. The man ran his mouth when he should have STFU and asked for a lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
You might want to go back and review the docs. The man ran his mouth when he should have STFU and asked for a lawyer.
View Quote
I don't have to go back and review shit.

They played him straight out of the FBI playbook. It did not dawn on him he was the FOCUS and not helping. The guy was helpful to a fault. Would I have been the same way? Perhaps, I was fairly jaded by that point of my life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Just finished watching, really good movie... Jesus when they were hoodwinking him into signing his rights away..

Rockwell was awesome, reporter was a whorebag and the FBI sent their very best
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Technology. It was the second industrial revolution and it took off like a rocket booster.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Physician, heal thyself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Most people are only now beginning to understand that the authorities are not there to act in your best interests.
Link Posted: Today 6:12:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: myitinaw] [#20]
Eastwood's film was absolutely perfect.

Richard Jewell: The 1996 60 Minutes interview

Richard Jewell: The 2002 60 Minutes interview

USA: ATLANTA: RICHARD JEWELL PRESS CONFERENCE

USA: MAN CLEARED OF ATLANTA BOMBING WANTS APOLOGY FROM FBI

Norm Macdonald and Richard Jewell

Bob Costas describes his encounter with Richard Jewell

Richard Jewell, Hero.
Link Posted: Today 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By digitalebola:
My office was down the road from his apartment. The number of news trucks outside for weeks was astounding.
View Quote

They certainly got the news whore right.

Link Posted: Today 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Richard Jewell movie (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top