Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Wife has worked for a number of hospitals in the admin side and the salaries that they pay managers and others is staggering.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By skid2041:
Good, they are only "feeder" hospitals for bigger networks anyways. They have ambulances transport there instead of taking to the better, higher capable hospitals, so they can bill the insurance for a stay. Then transport the patient to the higher capable. Causing a delay I'm treatment & possibly death. Get more helicopters and fly the patients.
View Quote
Actually if you knew how Medicare and Medicaid billed you would be livid.

This is bad. Expect all Healthcare to be government run soon...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Lol

My sons wife had both of their babies in a inflatable bathtub in a birthing center.

No pain meds and went home with the babies in about 5-6 hours.

Both perfectly healthy and much cheaper than a hospital.

IIRC combined price was cheaper than one birth in a hospital.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20856/4CD10185-EFE5-4848-8B05-8914936661C6-3011430.jpg
View Quote

That is kinda cool, although it would not have worked in our situation, at least not for our first.  
Umbilical cord wrapped around the neck, which turned into an emergency c-section.    Very stressful.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JackelopeMed:

Seriously.  He's so full of shit it's not funny.  Air medical will not fly if there is any chance of hazardous flight conditions.   Most rural areas don't have high levels of ALS/paramedic providers.  Transporting a chest pain multiple hours by ground to a tertiary is so far beyond stupid I have to think he's trolling.  

View Quote

I know for a fact they transport dissecting aortic aneurysms by ground.  Chest pain it’s routine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Burned my mother back in September. She fell and hit her head. Developed a brain bleed that proved fatal. Local hospital closed three years ago and the nearest one is close to an hour away so you can imagine how long it took for an ambulance to arrive and get her there for treatment even though the call was made when it happened.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
its happening here.  been happening long before covid.

rural america is dying.  no one wants to live like we do.  its hard work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
In a little more than two years as CEO of a small hospital in Wyoming, Dave Ryerse has witnessed firsthand the worsening financial problems eroding rural hospitals nationwide.

In 2022, Ryerse's South Lincoln Medical Center was forced to shutter its operating room because it didn't have the staff to run it 24 hours a day. Soon after, the obstetrics unit closed.

Ryerse said the publicly owned facility's revenue from providing care has fallen short of operating expenses for at least the past eight years, driving tough decisions to cut services in hopes of keeping the facility open in Kemmerer, a town of about 2,400 in southwestern Wyoming.

South Lincoln's financial woes aren't unique, and the risk of hospital closures is an immediate threat to many small communities.  "Those cities dry out," Ryerse said.  "There's a huge sense of urgency to make sure that we can maintain and really eventually thrive in this area."

A recently released report from the health analytics and consulting firm Chartis paints a clear picture of the grim reality Ryerse and other small-hospital managers face. In its financial analysis, the firm concluded that half of rural hospitals lost money in the past year, up from 43% the previous year. It also identified 418 rural hospitals across the United States that are  "vulnerable to closure."

Mark Holmes, director of the Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research at the University of North Carolina, said the report's findings weren't a surprise, since the financial nosedive it depicted has been a concern of researchers and rural health advocates for decades.

The report noted that small-town hospitals in states that expanded Medicaid eligibility have fared better financially than those in states that didn't.
View Quote
moar
View Quote

How much of that was from treating illegal farm hands who skipped out on the ER bills?

Illegals use the ER for everything because they can’t have a family doctor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Good, they are only "feeder" hospitals for bigger networks anyways. They have ambulances transport there instead of taking to the better, higher capable hospitals, so they can bill the insurance for a stay. Then transport the patient to the higher capable. Causing a delay I'm treatment & possibly death. Get more helicopters and fly the patients.
View Quote

@skid2041

You’d be surprised how much smaller hospitals can theoretically take care of locally.  It’s a complicated topic because you have to discuss the hospitalist system which has been a disaster to medicine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:
ARFcom loves to bloviate about the moral superiority of people who "live rural" but when those rural areas are having their economies hollowed out they cheer it on rather than try to stop it.

View Quote

Being fair, it’s no different than when the recession hit and Detroit had 33% unemployment and a similar number of homes in active foreclosure…. If you weren’t laid off and losing a house, one of your next door neighbors was… and it was awful.

I was laid off for 4 months but didn’t lose my house-I was shocked to see shitheads here running their cock-holsters and saying “Fuck Yeah! Screw those union motherfuckers!!!”. The truth is, very few people in Detroit belong to a union and these were suburban jobs with people working very hard and much longer hours than most Americans ever work. People with families, people working toward a future.

But fuck’em because they ain’t me, right?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

lol.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#11]

That's some serious hillbilly bullshit.
View Quote

Gosh,,, what did humankind do before the AMA came along?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#12]
It's all part of the plan. Get everyone into the cities. Easier to control.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, the way to keep these hospitals open is for local employers (city and county governments, especially) to contract directly with the hospital and bypass insurance. The hospital keeps more money and the employer can save up to 50% of their healthcare spend.
View Quote

I’ve never looked into it, but business “memberships” to a hospital seems like a great idea. Direct to consumer with established price sheets for procedures, tests, drugs… etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:

i work in fetal maternal medicine as a part of my profession.
trust me, you don't want that. when things go south, it goes south very, very quickly for the mother and or baby.
View Quote

I wouldnt have a wife or kids if we had tried to do it at home.

Since then we have moved to a rural area and im thankful we have a good hospital that is running in the black. But it is county owned rather than for profit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Have tge baby at home. Or have tge ambulance take her to tge right facility. If uou need a birthing clinic, have a birthing g clinic. Doesn't need to be a hospital.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Let me get this straight, you think when a woman has a baby she should be flown to a hospital somewhere else in the state?

Have tge baby at home. Or have tge ambulance take her to tge right facility. If uou need a birthing clinic, have a birthing g clinic. Doesn't need to be a hospital.
You rang?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:11:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#17]
Originally Posted By ChuckD05:
I mean, she could have it in a bathtub, or bring back midwives? Like we didn't have children before hospitals.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ChuckD05:
I mean, she could have it in a bathtub, or bring back midwives? Like we didn't have children before hospitals.

may your wife try to deliver a breech baby.

Originally Posted By Millennial:
They should close the ERs and operate scheduled in-patient care/surgeries only in addition to outpatient services.

may your prostate shut down and you need a catheter from the ER.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jsnappa:

I know for a fact they transport dissecting aortic aneurysms by ground.  Chest pain it’s routine.
View Quote

I do too.  I've done it.

But to transport from residence to a tertiary hours away for CP of unknown etiology?  Vs having a local hospital to perform an EKG, run serials trops and monitor?  It's just...dumb.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

Wow. You have no idea about how much pressure rural hospitals relieve off of bigger hospitals, or any clue that the number of patient beds to population is shrinking, or that the number of doctors per capita is dwindling rapidly.

All massive contributing factors to even shittier care at major hospitals.  

View Quote

Deport the 50-70 million illegals in the USA and that problem may go away.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#20]

I do too.  I've done it.

But to transport from residence to a tertiary hours away for CP of unknown etiology?  Vs having a local hospital to perform an EKG, run serials trops and monitor?  It's just...dumb.
View All Quotes

I do too.  I've done it.

There is a lot of dumb in this thread. Every time gd talks about medicine everyone is an expert
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By wienerman1961:
Stop draining the system by letting morons go to ER for a yellow booger. ER is for EMERGENCY, not lazy ass fucks.
View Quote

Excellent idea. How?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#22]
There is zero price discovery in health care. You usually don't know what is charged or what is paid. BONUS: The hospital/doctors/insurers usually can't figure it out either.

The way Obamacare is structured, the insurer is rewarded for paying out MORE. So they want to be billed more, and pay out more, which necessitates ever increasing premiums.

The bigger problems is more and more patients are No Pays or Medicaid, which is really a money loser for the provider. Like everything else the government gets involved in, it's unsustainable and headed for a cliff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:34:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ecarl4100] [#23]
All I know is that our rural hospital was bleeding cash for years before it closed. When it was open it was really just a trans shipment point between the ambulance to a helicopter or another ambulance to go to Jackson, Memphis, or Nashville. The head physicians rotated often, and several had questionable pasts, with reinstatement of licenses. I don’t know what happened, the older folks claim it was a good little hospital about 20-30 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

View All Quotes

Died from stuff that they wouldn't today.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:40:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#25]
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

pretty much...it was so bad that Louisiana passed a law that the state would cover all breaast cancer and ovarian cancer stuff for the patient. Louisiana is also sort of odd with our state laws that Huey P Long pushed through where you have to have so many "FREE" hospitals in certain population centers.

Only in america can you have health insurance and still lose everything due to getting sick.

I can't tell you how many disturbing stories I personally know where mom gave birth and literally a few days later is back to work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Free Newcomer Healthcare?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Illegals are crashing the system everywhere.  The stupid price for those who can and free for those who can't or are here illegally doesn't work.  

The cost structure is why healthcare is what it is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:47:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#28]
Yeah wouldn't think you could make the full hospital system work in a lot of rural areas. Really needs to be very well rounded staff a couple of doctors a handful of pas nps and nurses that handle everything. An obgyn would probably have enough to do if our birthrates were a little higher but having an ob wing of rural hospital sounds like wasted space a lot of the time.

Throw in all the bullshit paperwork for obamacare and retarded insurance cos that make a physician wait in hold to deal with their bullshit...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
Yeah wouldn't think you could make the full hospital system work in a pot of rural areas. Really needs to be very well rounded staff a couple of doctors a handful of pas nps and nurses that handle everything. An obgyn would probably have enough to do if our birthrates were a little higher but having an ob wing of rural hospital sounds like wasted space a lot of the time.

Throw in all the bullshit paperwork for obamacare and retarded insurance cos that make a physician wait in hold to deal with their bullshit...
View Quote

You’re not going to find any healthcare provider that wants to cover all aspects from emergency medicine to inpatient/internal medicine to L&D. That goes for nurses, PA/NPs, and doctors.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

You literally how no idea what you are talking about.
(Posting from a rural hospital.)
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
I reckon those execs are still making $400k-$1 mil a year though

Funny how hospital districts are usually taxpayer supported, yet this kind of thing happens.
View Quote
A small rural critical access hospital ceo earns around $250k-$300k
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#32]
FWIW, the way to keep these hospitals open is for local employers (city and county governments, especially) to contract directly with the hospital and bypass insurance. The hospital keeps more money and the employer can save up to 50% of their healthcare spend.
View Quote
Employee overhead post covid is a factor hurting rural facilities. Hiring RNs to work at smaller hospitals is tough when they can go work at the big metro hospitals and earn $125-$150k per year. Same goes for MDs...tough for rural hospitals to even afford ED docs when they make $400-$500k at a larger metro hospital.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:08:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#33]
Originally Posted By AKoch31:

You’re not going to find any healthcare provider that wants to cover all aspects from emergency medicine to inpatient/internal medicine to L&D. That goes for nurses, PA/NPs, and doctors.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKoch31:
Originally Posted By Obo2:
Yeah wouldn't think you could make the full hospital system work in a pot of rural areas. Really needs to be very well rounded staff a couple of doctors a handful of pas nps and nurses that handle everything. An obgyn would probably have enough to do if our birthrates were a little higher but having an ob wing of rural hospital sounds like wasted space a lot of the time.

I realize that which is more a symptom of the system. We seemingly used to have more rural providers who would cover as much as they could.

I'm sure my perception is likely tainted by fiction but if you got a town that can only support a handful of med staff they are going to be more well rounded or not there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#34]
NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
I reckon those execs are still making $400k-$1 mil a year though

Funny how hospital districts are usually taxpayer supported, yet this kind of thing happens.
View Quote

Mostly bankrupt because of insurance companies and compliance...

most of them, as well as local and regional hospitals functioned just fine then the fucking "HMOs", so called "privatazation" which basically means we asset strip everything for pennies on the dollar and sell shit to our buddies on wallstreet.... <---because apparently Feudal lord shit is "capitalism" somehow
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#36]
They are building micro hospitals and urgent care centers, on what seems like, every street corner in Tucson. There is no way their books are in the green.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By norseman1:

I believe this was tried but outlawed by obammy
View Quote

It's not illegal, no.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#38]
It's all part of the deal you willingly accept in order to live the rural lifestyle.  The nearest real hospital is 35-40 miles away.  

There is a "hospital" in the nearby town that is just an aid station, that's it.  There is no permanent doctor on staff, they rotate on a weekly basis from OKC, and half are PA's not MD's.  All they do is bandage you up for transport by ambulance or helo, depending on the severity.  This local aid station is only open because they received a govt grant since it is the only location within a radius of several small farm towns.  

Our ambulance service is contracted out, we only have a rural VFD and there is no law enforcement presence to speak of, matter of fact some of the small towns have no PD at all.  This is the life I grew up with and prefer to live this way.  I keep a first aid kit handy with clot stop, alcohol, butterfly bandages, etc.  

If you need a world class medical facility nearby, the rural lifestyle isn't for you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#39]
There has never been a journalist who gave a single solitary fuck about "rural people" so any article written under such a pretense must be assumed to be propaganda in support of single payer or some other government sponsored program that will be infinitely worse than whatever we have today.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:50:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jsnappa] [#40]

I do too.  I've done it.

View All Quotes

I do too.  I've done it.

If you want to narrow it down to CP of unknown etiology and the patient is stable, that may change the situation.
No rural doctor in their right mind is going to want a patient with acute coronary syndrome or with a prehospital ekg that shows ischemia to not go directly to a facility that can restore blood flow and has a staff of CT surgeons, some of whom have procedures named after them.  
If that patient with CP of unknown etiology is the least bit unstable, the doc will transport them.  If it is indeed “hours away”, they will consider that risk.  Part of living so far away from a large hospital is accepting you may receive a lower standard of care.
That seems to be the point he was making.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
They are building micro hospitals and urgent care centers, on what seems like, every street corner in Tucson. There is no way their books are in the green.
View Quote

That's because they can charge more at higher levels of care. Imagine needing 10 stitiches. Around here, that's $15 plus the monthly membership for direct primary care, around $200 for a regular doctor but they don't have the time, $400 for an urgent care, if you find one that will do it, and $2,300 for an ED.

Same 10 stitches. Wildly different cost.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
It's all part of the deal you willingly accept in order to live the rural lifestyle.  The nearest real hospital is 35-40 miles away.  

There is a "hospital" in the nearby town that is just an aid station, that's it.  There is no permanent doctor on staff, they rotate on a weekly basis from OKC, and half are PA's not MD's.  All they do is bandage you up for transport by ambulance or helo, depending on the severity.  This local aid station is only open because they received a govt grant since it is the only location within a radius of several small farm towns.  

Our ambulance service is contracted out, we only have a rural VFD and there is no law enforcement presence to speak of, matter of fact some of the small towns have no PD at all.  This is the life I grew up with and prefer to live this way.  I keep a first aid kit handy with clot stop, alcohol, butterfly bandages, etc.  

If you need a world class medical facility nearby, the rural lifestyle isn't for you.
View Quote

It never used to be, though. This is new, and I don't know why it's being lauded by "conservatives."
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:03:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ODgreen2003] [#44]
I was FP&A doing forecasting and setting targets for a healthcare system for years.  The largest in the state with many rural hospitals. We would automatically plan to only collect on roughly around 60% of the revenue charges. 40% we’d plan to be no pays.  Then we have within that 60% we have Medicaid which we’d only collect a portion of our charges, not the full rate.
Many times the metro hospitals were more or less carrying the rural hospitals. Those rural hospitals would fail or downsize their level of care if not for the support of the larger network.

Some issues we faced were a population that is going to the ER for everything, a population that is increasing in undocumented patients that you have to treat but will never collect on, and the population becoming more unhealthy (obese, diabetes, etc…).  One of the solutions was a huge shift to promote preventive care and building a tele-health center with on-call PA, Psychiatrists, NP, etc… With the rural hospitals it was difficult to get RN staffing, so we had to hire temp labor (traveling nurses) at 1.5x the rate of an RN (we started our RNs around $40/hr).  Those rural hospitals also were not doing lots of surgeries, which is what keeps hospitals above the red.

Also interesting enough, our drug expenses were skyrocketing as a result of the war in Ukraine. Something you wouldn’t think would affect a hospital. The war was making it difficult to source medical supply’s from our vendors, so we had to double and triple up contracts with other vendors.  Those vendors required 2-3 year contracts, but we were still locked into our primary contracts.  We needed the drugs for our patients so we did what we had to. Just like many expenses that aren’t salaries, we have no control over because when it comes to drugs and supplies we can’t just cut back on spend.

All this to say the issues healthcare systems face are complex, and there are not easy solutions. Rural hospitals that don’t have a larger network as support are hit the hardest.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
View Quote

Around here they are all owned by and “feed” the 2 giant hospital systems.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Dano523:
No, but the rural hospital she is going to, should be more than just a basic walk in health clinic that is not able to deal or staffed with personal that can deal with life threatening problems if they happen in the first place.
View Quote

Why shouldn't a county hospital be staffed to deal with a birth with complications?

It's not that expensive.

Maybe the money all went somewhere else?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Waldo:
My main home is in NE. Ohio. Not what I would consider rural these days.

All of the not for profit county hospitals were sold to the big players in the area. Cleveland Clinic, UH, Summa.

They have all been basically gutted, reduced to glorified ER's. There's not even an OB unit in my county. Having a baby? Better hope you can make the drive to another county.
View Quote

Yeah, after the ACA passed the insurance companies grew and the hospital systems consolidated so they could negotiate with them.

Plus there was a lot of vertical integration to bypass the medical loss ratio.

It all comes from the top.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Intentional.   Move to your 15 Minute City or die in the country.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Unpossible. After giving more and more control to the FedGov... All our problems with medical care have been solved.

Hillary Care. Obama Care. Medicare Part whateverthefuckitisnow. TRILLIONS being spent from private insurance and tax subsidies for socialist programs... It's the land of milk and honey.

Right? Right?

No? Color me not surprised. We warned everyone that this would be a shit show. We once had the BEST medical care system in the World when there was more competition and less government regulation in the free market.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top