BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R_S:

Deadly, cheap and widespread: how Iran-supplied drones are changing the nature of warfare

Yeah, Iran could launch a drone for less than the price of keeping an F-35 in the air for 1 hour... if the F-35 could get in the air
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
So for the cost of every bomb dropped by the F35, Iran could launch about 100,000 missiles, correct?

Please feel free to verify my math.

Deadly, cheap and widespread: how Iran-supplied drones are changing the nature of warfare

estimated ranges of at least 700km (434 miles) and a cost of $20,000

Yeah, Iran could launch a drone for less than the price of keeping an F-35 in the air for 1 hour... if the F-35 could get in the air

How many of the cheap drones that Iran launched hit their targets?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:41:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#2]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
So for the cost of every bomb dropped by the F35, Iran could launch about 100,000 missiles, correct?

Please feel free to verify my math.

estimated ranges of at least 700km (434 miles) and a cost of $20,000

From the article:
Attachment Attached File

A Ukrainian commander said a Shahed destroyed an M777 howitzer during the Kharkiv counteroffensive: “Instead of firing 100 artillery shells, it’s easier to release one of these drones.”

Shaheds often use a sophisticated combination of US, Russian and Chinese navigation systems to make them harder to jam, according to Bronk.

Seven out of 18 Houthi drones were shot down by Britain’s HMS Diamond using a mixture of cheaper gun fire and Sea Viper or Aster missiles which cost £1m to £2m each. It is a simple illustration of how the drones impose costs on defenders fending off the new class of weapons. Similar calculations apply in Ukraine and elsewhere, but often the reality is that the human or economic cost of a drone attack succeeding, as happened at the weekend, is higher.

It's a WIN-WIN for the enemy
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By yankee43:

Democrats will believe anything.
View Quote

BRO ARE YOU EVEN AWARE
they have proof of Putin urinating on Trump in a NY hotel room. They just won’t admit it because ORANGE MAN BAD RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA.
That Hunter Biden laptop story though? Just right wing disinformation.
#CorrectTheRecord
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]

What do you believe we should be buying instead of fifth gen fighters?
View All Quotes
I'm thinking that 29% number is optimistic.  

These are actual GAO charts:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33354/F35_readiness_jpg-3190369.JPG

Over time the Full Mission Capable rate of the older aircraft have gone to ZERO.  ZERO.  Let me say it again... ZERO.

Does anyone think that is a good use of our defense dollars?

Planes that can fly would be where I'd start.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By luscioman:
I am told by sources it takes 25 minutes from a pilot sitting to have weapons online is 24 minutes. Not a great fast reacting intercept plane.
View Quote

Just bring back the F20 ... one minute !
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

that doesn;t make a lot of sense... since its inception there have been almost two decades of computer processing improvement, which includes more efficiency giving lower TDPs and/or higher performance.  I mean really, just think how much more awesome computers are in 2024 than 2005.
Why would they replace the entire powerplant of a jet when they could just develop better computers with superior processors and thermal management.  I'm sure it's some level of bureaucracy or artificial inefficiency that's not letting the people that know how to fix the problems actually fix the problems how they want.  Alot of it too is that it's a fighter supposedly with no equal and there's not a current war with a near peer ... so there's no urgency and engineers essentially have forever to keep tinkering and "fixing" things until they no longer work.  The hallmark of a true engineer; If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.  

What they really need to do is replace the F35B lift fan with a generator/capacitor electrical generation unit (that has 30000 shaft horse power on tap at the front of the engine) and then start hanging 300kW laser-pods off the pylons.  pew! pew! pew! (laser noises)  Imagine trying to fight an aircraft that can kill you anywhere line of sight at the speed of light.
View Quote

I do not claim to be an expert on this subject and those who are probably don’t say much about it on the internet. But I do not believe the F-35s computers are current vintage. Since it’s a stealth aircraft everything on it has to be integrated to reduce the risk of emissions leaking out and telling everyone where you are.

I’m told that this is a big part of the appeal of the F-15EX. You can bolt a better radar and newer computer systems into it with much less hassle than on a 35. It’s also bigger than the 35, more room to stow stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

It's called the Gravy Train and there are a lot of pigs slopping at that trough.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexington:
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Lockheed Martin like Boeing and so many other modern manufacturers have overrelied on subcontractors and created an overly complicated web of production that is causing them deep issues.  

Ray Charles could have seen this coming, but somehow modern Western society rewards mediocre jackasses with higher and higher positions both within the private and public sector.

Sir, it's called Diversity.

It's called the Gravy Train and there are a lot of pigs slopping at that trough.

It's also called "people rising to their level of incompetence", & there's a lot of incompetence in the C suite.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Drones as used offensively in the Ukraine war ARE Artillery.
Russia is outproducing Ukraine on simple weapons like artillery shells, they are NOT outproducing Ukraine on drones. The problem isn't that the Russians are outproducing Ukraine, it's that the Russians and North Koreans are outproducing Ukraine AND NATO when it comes to artillery shells. But Russia is starting to lose the war of attrition, they are running out of artillery tubes to fire those shells, they are running out of all forms of vehicles, tanks, APC's, trucks etc to lead attacks and provide transportation to the battlefield. If Ukraine can survive another year I predict Russia will be done.

The problem in the U.S. with military procurement is a mixture of the defense dept living on the bleeding edge of technology and Congress being involved in decisions they shouldn't be making when writing the checks to pay for it all.
F-35 was sold to Congress on being a more capable, common platform for the air force and navy to save money, when in reality the differences between the three models means that the planes are less capable and more expensive. Congress should never have been involved in the decisions on the capabilities of the planes, they should never be involved on where, how and who manufactures the planes; they should only be involved in the decision of do we pay for this program or not, and once that decision is made they should just write the checks.
It would prevent disasters like the Advanced Gun System and related Long Range Land Attack Projectile where 90% of the money for the program was spent and all development was finished, then Congress decided not to buy the actual shells using a fake cost that included the already spent total development cost not just the cost of the manufacture of the shells, to justify the decision to cancel and making the Zumwalts an orphan program without a purpose. They didn't save 2 billion cancelling the LRLAP shells, they wasted 2.2 billion in development cost of the guns and shells by not spending 200 million manufacturing the shells.
The Ford carrier class problems were all bleeding edge technology problems that could have, and should have, been fixed by building the systems on land and finishing their development and testing before building the carriers. The electromagnet recovery system went pretty well, but the electromagnetic catapult system went poorly and the Ford will always have problems with damage control and repair in battle and the armament transportation system was a disaster and all simply because the very first examples weren't built as individual systems on land in development jigs with easy access and easy component changes and easy design changes but not built and tested until installed in the carrier where it was much more expensive to fix them due to time pressures, component access problems and changes needed to the designs that caused changes to the carriers structure.
Over and over again the defense dept doesn't develop the latest technology in isolation, instead forcing it into the latest weapon programs as a TBD item. Congress insists on this, and insists on making decisions they shouldn't be making. I don't see a way to fix the problems Congress causes, but the defense dept could definitely do a better job of developing the tech separately before putting it into a weapons program. Though I think they don't because of trying to get the money to do so from Congress.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]

The answer is obvious to anyone paying any attention whatsoever:

Ukraine Is Losing the Drone War
Artillery has long been the King of the Battlefield.
Infantry the Queen.
Drones are starting to change that equation... but artillery and infantry are still KEY elements of warfare.
While fighter jets are Struggling for relevance
View Quote

Lol,  just need artillery with a 2000 miles deployment within 36 hours and a 800 mile range.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly it looks like the Airforce is fucking something up, not the planes.

The Marines are keeping their B models at 50% mission capable, and the Navy's C models are at 60%.  The lack of FMC has more to do with the older blocks those two services have lacking some features.  If the two most complex versions of the aircraft can at least get airborne and do some of their missions why the hell is the airforce having so many problems?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By macpherson:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macpherson:

Over time the Full Mission Capable rate of the older aircraft have gone to ZERO.  ZERO.  Let me say it again... ZERO.

Perhaps you should research the difference between "can fly" and FMC.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
FMG

Somebody should have pointed out the C5, C130 and c141 to him. Pretty damn good record of flying.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

Lol,  just need artillery with a 2000 miles deployment within 36 hours and a 800 mile range.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

The answer is obvious to anyone paying any attention whatsoever:

Ukraine Is Losing the Drone War
Artillery has long been the King of the Battlefield.
Infantry the Queen.
Drones are starting to change that equation... but artillery and infantry are still KEY elements of warfare.
While fighter jets are Struggling for relevance

It's true that artillery does take time to deploy.  

But if we are including drones in the argument... Iranian drones have a lot longer range than 800 miles:
Shahed 136 drones have a light carbon fibre airframe and range of more than 1,500 miles

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/02/deadly-cheap-and-widespread-how-iran-supplied-drones-are-changing-the-nature-of-warfare
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Element94] [#14]
Why are 30% of them OK? Are we just talking about the STOVL models?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
The F35 will turn 18 years old next year so I'm sure Gaetz will immediately lose interest.

View Quote
The first operational ones came online what, 10 years ago?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
The story I hear is that the current engine cannot provide enough electrical power and cooling for the F-35s onboard computers. P&W is working on fixing this, but there's also the idea that GE could build a whole new type of engine which would, if it worked. Address these issues, but this new engine would not be compatible with the lift fan system. Rendering the B model unworkable.

Its a mess, no 2 ways about it. I'm firmly of the view that this is because the plane is too small to fit all this stuff. The existing F-35 is already 3 different planes with only 30% parts commonality between the whole fleet.

I see no way out of this except an apocalyptic war which would expunge the military industrial complex in its current form. Likely replacing it with something far more corrupt, powerful and terrifying.
View Quote
If only the second engine wasnt fucking cancelled
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher15] [#17]

View Quote
Looks like a problem that needs to be fixed.  You will not fix it by washing hands of it.

Should also note that the GAO is always going to be pessimist no matter what. Its their job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
If they can’t fly, how did Lockheed deliver them to the wing wipers?  

Gaetz is a fucking tool but I’m just a dumb fucking grunt.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Do we have any F35 maintainers on here? I'm curious what kind of pressure they're under (and the Sq CCs) to get better numbers. FMC rate was always a big when I was in and there was hell to pay if we slipped - endless weekend trying to get jets back up. That chart showing the steady decline is like a death march.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Just have SpaceX build a new engine based off the Raptor engines. That fucker will put out enough power.  Meanwhile the F-22 is doing it's thing just fine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
Just have SpaceX build a new engine based off the Raptor engines. That fucker will put out enough power.  Meanwhile the F-22 is doing it's thing just fine.
View Quote

What a novel idea.
The F135 ( F-35 ) is based on F119 ( F-22 ).
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't believe an American aerospace company can have this many issues with a plane.  They should have had Boing build them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
They overloaded them with more shit and now it is under powered.
View Quote

Ah, a story as old as military aviation itself.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]
GD F-35 thread.  Almost as good as a California or V.A. medical thread.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
So they spec's out want they wanted, accepted that and got exactly that, then added a bunch of shit requiring more power requirements?
View Quote

Wife was Operational Test on the AF side and I was Developmental Test for LockMart. F22 program.

What you pointed out is the huge problem on the AF side.

The biggest problem with LockMart and such is saying it won’t be a problem that a certain amount of money can’t fix. Then they say they need triple after starting.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

I'm hoping this is a joke. Rocket engines and jet engines are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#27]

I'm hoping this is a joke. Rocket engines and jet engines are not the same thing.
View All Quotes

"Sir, we successfully integrated the Raptor-3 in the airframe.

Good news is, we now have 500,000 pounds of thrust.

Bad news is, we'll need to increase the size of our external tanks. By a factor of 87,000."

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

"Sir, we successfully integrated the Raptor-3 in the airframe.

Good news is, we now have 500,000 pounds of thrust.

Bad news is, we'll need to increase the size of our external tanks. By a factor of 87,000."

View Quote

Also got to install LOX tanks and reconfigure for methane. Merlin engines might make a little more sense because those run off of Kerosene.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#29]
A look back at some of the crashes

VIDEO: F-35 fighter jet pilot ejects in bizarre crash on Texas runway

Listen to the crashed F-35 911 call: 'We’ve got a pilot in our house'

WATCH: Pilot Survives After Ejecting From F-35 Crash Near Utah Air Force Base

British F-35 crashes into sea after failing to take off
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rb889:

5X to 10X as many 4th gen fighters? Preferably something inexpensive, but boringly reliable and easily serviced would be best.

Quantity has a quality all its own, after all.
View Quote
They would just die against good fifth gen fighters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

Ah, a story as old as military aviation itself.
View Quote

No fighter has ever been ahead of schedule and underweight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By LotBoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ1XDkGV3gk
View Quote

Reminds me of when the B-29 when it came out and all the engine problems it had, eventually the engines were improved but there was growing pains.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#33]
The F35 will turn 18 years old next year so I'm sure Gaetz will immediately lose interest.

View Quote

Didn’t that clown rear end a state trooper recently?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Lol, that’s exactly what they did.  

The F22 engine puts out 26k pounds of thrust, 35k with afterburner (x2).  

The F35 engine puts out 28k pounds of thrust, 43k with afterburner.  For comparison, the F18 super hornet puts out 13k and 22k with afterburner, 26k and 44k with two engines; the F15 puts out  14.5k and 23.7k.  The F35 will get an engine upgrade in 2030.  

SpaceX knows fuck all about fighter jet engines. Pratt and Whitney have been making them for decades and are the best in the business. They make engines for the F16, F15, F22 and F35.  The F35 F135 engine is the most powerful fighter jet engine built.  

It’s actually an amazing and bad ass engine.  It just has to move a very heavy plane.  Think of the F35 as a bumblebee.  It not supposed to be able to fly, but it still does because it can produce a lot of power with its wings.  The F35 is proof that you can make anything fly if you put a powerful enough engine on it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#35]

All of our fighter jets have crash histories.  The F35 actually has one of the lowest incidents of crashes.  It has a very good safety record as far as fighter jets go.

The combat readiness isn’t a function of the plane and its design.  Israel has proven this for us.  It’s a function of poor logistics and program implementation by the contractor which is the fault of the USAF for lack of proper oversight and management.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tyvar] [#36]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
Do we have any F35 maintainers on here? I'm curious what kind of pressure they're under (and the Sq CCs) to get better numbers. FMC rate was always a big when I was in and there was hell to pay if we slipped - endless weekend trying to get jets back up. That chart showing the steady decline is like a death march.
View Quote

what kills me is the airforce mission capable numbers collapsing to 0% while the Navy's F-35C mission capable numbers are at least trending the right way, so they are at least getting birds into the air. What the hell is the airforce doing?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Totally acceptable.
More corruption
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Krombompulos_Michael:

The F35 engine puts out 28k pounds of thrust, 43k with afterburner.  For comparison, the F18 super hornet puts out 13k and 22k with afterburner, 26k and 44k with two engines; the F15 puts out  14.5k and 23.7k.  The F35 will get an engine upgrade in 2030.  

SpaceX knows fuck all about fighter jet engines. Pratt and Whitney have been making them for decades and are the best in the business. They make engines for the F16, F15, F22 and F35.  The F35 F135 engine is the most powerful fighter jet engine built.  

It’s actually an amazing and bad ass engine.  It just has to move a very heavy plane.  Think of the F35 as a bumblebee.  It not supposed to be able to fly, but it still does because it can produce a lot of power with its wings.  The F35 is proof that you can make anything fly if you put a powerful enough engine on it.
View Quote

Summary: the F-35 is the modern F-4.

They should have called it The Flying Brick II.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tyvar] [#40]
Just realized I went full GD and decided that reading comprehension is for wimps. The whole fucking chart is the kind of gotcha bullshit the left pulls and doesn't actually tell us jack shit about the overall F-35 fleet.

The only aircraft built between 2008 and 2011 were test articles and all of 9 of the first batch of LRIP aircraft. Were talking less then 40 planes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sierra-def:
Originally Posted By Krombompulos_Michael:

That was going through my mind as I read that .
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#42]
My dad worked on the F-23 Black Widow Project.

Sure was a better plane.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#43]
$90,000 for this little bag of bushings.

VIRAL MOMENT: Michael Waltz Confronts Air Force Officials With Staggeringly Expensive Components
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:

This.

View All Quotes

This.

Are we talking early JSF requirements? From what I know the F35 was always single engine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

Sir, it's called Diversity.
View Quote

it's called sourcing from the maximum number of congressional districts in order to maximize political clout.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Are we talking early JSF requirements? From what I know the F35 was always single engine.
View All Quotes

This.

They mean a second manufacturer of engines.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I realized I needed to reply directly to this so that everybody can see how bullshit this chart is.

The aircraft built between 2008 and 2011 include a dozen test airframes, and less then 40 LRIP airframes.  The first LRIP airframes ordered in 2007 were not delivered until 2011 when they delivered 9 and in 2012 they delivered 29, and we are talking all block 1 aircraft which were never combat capable, that didn't happen till Block 2.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Didn’t that clown rear end a state trooper recently?
View Quote

That  was Cawthorn, the young guy in a wheelchair
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:03:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#49]

View All Quotes

Gaw dang.

Originally Posted By brownbomber:

Leftists accuse others of what they are guilty of, which is a well-known Cluster-B behavior.

Are you saying the qouted poster is a leftist? How, why, and what is your proof?

It's not exactly uncommon knowledge that Gaetz is a creep.

We shouldn't even have an air force

Cut funding for the MIC

Originally Posted By M4-AK:

Let's see... you want MTG and Gaetz removed from office.  Hmmm.

Yes. Is that bad?

Replace them with far better people.

4 crashes. Compare that to the harrier and other similar planes.

The f35 is the fighter of the free world.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jb31:
I can't believe an American aerospace company can have this many issues with a plane.  
View Quote

No matter what kind of slopply junk they sell, the gov will buy it. They're literally mainlining taxpayer money.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top