BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tyvar:

what kills me is the airforce mission capable numbers collapsing to 0% while the Navy's F-35C mission capable numbers are at least trending the right way, so they are at least getting birds into the air. What the hell is the airforce doing?
View Quote

Certanly not an expert,  but I know air force F35s fly all the time.  It might be a difference in definition, it might be more accurate reporting by the air force,  it might be the airforce highlighting a problem for more funding.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

What do you believe we should be buying instead of fifth gen fighters?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R_S:
I'm thinking that 29% number is optimistic.  

These are actual GAO charts:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33354/F35_readiness_jpg-3190369.JPG

Over time the Full Mission Capable rate of the older aircraft have gone to ZERO.  ZERO.  Let me say it again... ZERO.

Does anyone think that is a good use of our defense dollars?

Parts to keep those already purchased flying?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BoneB1B:

No fighter has ever been ahead of schedule and underweight.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

Ah, a story as old as military aviation itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_P-51_Mustang
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

And it went thru multiple revisions for two years to make it a D,  the version we all think of.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#5]

And it went thru multiple revisions for two years to make it a D,  the version we all think of.
View All Quotes

Those revisions covered over 5500 production aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Anything that actually works?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:33:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: supernoma] [#8]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

Certanly not an expert,  but I know air force F35s fly all the time.  It might be a difference in definition, it might be more accurate reporting by the air force,  it might be the airforce highlighting a problem for more funding.
View Quote

F-35s are flying all the time, however the Air Force has several defined statuses for flying aircraft: Fully Mission Capable (FMC), Mission Capable (MC), and Not Mission Capable Airworthy (NMCAW). All can fly but only two you can (or rather should) take into battle. I don't recall all the specific performance metrics they reported to Congress. More money could certainly help immediately and in the long term; better contract preparation would be the best but that time has passed. Air Force Secretary Kendall testified this week that the Air Force does not have the intellectual property rights to the F-35 weapon system. This means the Air Force is beholden to Lockheed for parts and to purchase the rights is insanely expensive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
The F35 will turn 18 years old next year so I'm sure Gaetz will immediately lose interest.

View Quote

We see what you did there.

Well done.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

You got any sources other than GAO? F-35I seems to be doing quite well.

U.S. F-35 Sustainment Lead Details Israel Fleet Ops Since October

Anyone else find it funny that the F-35 is coming under attack by Gaetz at the same time Boeing is under the microscope?
View Quote

The F-35 and Boeing are good things and necessary things for the US.  No surprise the Left is attacking them.  First attack step is to install ineffective top management.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By supernoma:

F-35s are flying all the time, however the Air Force has several defined statuses for flying aircraft: Fully Mission Capable (FMC), Mission Capable (MC), and Not Mission Capable Airworthy (NMCAW). All can fly but only two you can (or rather should) take into battle. I don't recall all the specific performance metrics they reported to Congress. More money could certainly help immediately and in the long term; better contract preparation would be the best but that time has passed. Air Force Secretary Kendall testified this week that the Air Force does not have the intellectual property rights to the F-35 weapon system. This means the Air Force is beholden to Lockheed for parts and to purchase the rights is insanely expensive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By supernoma:
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

MC consists of FMC time and PMC (partially mission capable) time.  There are 14 total status codes a jet can be put under with differences between whether it's scheduled or not and whether the delay is for maintenance, parts, or both.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:49:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#12]
Originally Posted By AV8B6015:

View All Quotes

There's a special irony in someone with an AV-8B username talking smack on an airframe with normal teething problems.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZCOP] [#13]
What is the Israeli F-35I FMC rate?
FWIW, I couldn't find it on the errornet.

edit: castlebravo84 found the answer:
75% full-mission-capable rate and an 85% mission-capable rate despite a 565% jump in monthly average flight hours over a six-month period

Jay
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Bronco or something else  for the short carriers could keep up with the osprey. Im not seeing the use of the vert jet anymore
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Some of you should look up the definition of Fully Mission Capable (FMC) before weighing in on this topic.
The F-35 does a lot more than its predecessor, therefore there’s more to maintain. That’s normal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Secretary Kendall and General Allvin seem to be about as honest about this as they can.

Kendall talking about the problem of the government not purchasing the intellectual software property from Lockheed, leaves the military wholly dependent of Lockheed.
It like farmers caught up in a situation, where they have to go to JD to get their equipment up and running, because JD owns all their intellectual software property.

His question back in 2010 about who is running the F-35 program, the pentagon, or Lockheed, is telling as well.

Jay
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
They overloaded them with more shit and now it is under powered.

They should have went stupid over powered from the beginning
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

Reminds me of when the B-29 when it came out and all the engine problems it had, eventually the engines were improved but there was growing pains.
View Quote
they did that in less than 5 and 2 if I recall during a world war.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By fargo007:
This plane, and it's advertised (but never proven or even demonstrated) capabilities are complete bullshit.

The truth comes out eventually.
View Quote

All of the guys who I flew F-15Es with in combat who are now flying F-35s say Fat Amy is better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#22]

The Israelis are happy with their F-35i’s.
View All Quotes
This plane, and it's advertised (but never proven or even demonstrated) capabilities are complete bullshit.

They'll be even happier when the XA100 engine becomes available.

Jay
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

All of the guys who I flew F-15Es with in combat who are now flying F-35s say Fat Amy is better.
View All Quotes

Probably because they don't like talking on the interphone.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By guns762:

The P-51 also went through a rather famous engine improvement.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LotBoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ1XDkGV3gk

Reminds me of when the B-29 when it came out and all the engine problems it had, eventually the engines were improved but there was growing pains.

Arguably it was a 'change' that may have been considered from the outset.

The early Allison install met all requirements as set forth by the RAF, as they bought the Mustang as a Warhawk replacement and had not spec'd high altitude and long range.  
Later the USAAF wanted/needed both of those and the marriage of the Mustang air frame with the Merlin answered that.

Was the Merlin considered from the beginning?  
Ford was contracted to build Merlin engines. That did not happen and Packard eventually became the supplier.

The P51 and Ford/Merlin projectz  were happening in a very hectic 1940.
With the Ford/Merlin never goingt into production.  and the pressure on to supply aircraft, the Allison was chosen/used.  

Or so my aging memory recalls.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LotBoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ1XDkGV3gk

Yes it did!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

That's high praise considering how much ass the Mudhen kicks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:18:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#31]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

Some of those airplanes were development airplanes intended to go to the boneyard and gate guard poles (where the Sun and weather will not be kind).

View All Quotes

Over time the Full Mission Capable rate of the older aircraft have gone to ZERO.  ZERO.  Let me say it again... ZERO.

Some of those airplanes were development airplanes intended to go to the boneyard and gate guard poles (where the Sun and weather will not be kind).

I'll post the CBO data from 2023 (again):

CBO Availability Rates of F-35s, by Age

Looks like availablity fell from 70% to ~45% in just five years.

Availability Rates of Air Force Fighters, by Age:

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/58942

Yeah, it's born to be a hangar queen

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#32]

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/images/full-reports/2023/58902-fig4_availability-age.png

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/images/full-reports/2023/58902-fig6_availability-air-force2.png

Yeah, it's born to be a hanger queen
View All Quotes

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/images/full-reports/2023/58902-fig4_availability-age.png

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/images/full-reports/2023/58902-fig6_availability-air-force2.png

Yeah, it's born to be a hanger queen

A hangar holds airplanes.

A hanger holds clothes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:32:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#33]

LM does not have halls full of engineers sitting around tinkering, there's either a contract for the work, or not.  When not, the staff is moved to other projects and most of the job shoppers laid off.

There will be small pots of IRAD money that support what might look like tinkering, just long enough to score a CRAD contract to continue fiddling. Some of that work makes its way into production, current or future programs.

Computational power doesn't exist in only a central computer or two.  And I wonder whether F-35 uses one, I never bothered to look at the subsystems due to lack of interest.  In any case, computation is distributed amongst all of the electronic equipment.  The trick is to keep all of it cool and make certain the slow devices can't create a bottleneck.  I suspect there are problems with volume and space around the equipment.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
The story I hear is that the current engine cannot provide enough electrical power and cooling for the F-35s onboard computers. P&W is working on fixing this, but there's also the idea that GE could build a whole new type of engine which would, if it worked. Address these issues, but this new engine would not be compatible with the lift fan system. Rendering the B model unworkable.

Its a mess, no 2 ways about it. I'm firmly of the view that this is because the plane is too small to fit all this stuff. The existing F-35 is already 3 different planes with only 30% parts commonality between the whole fleet.

I see no way out of this except an apocalyptic war which would expunge the military industrial complex in its current form. Likely replacing it with something far more corrupt, powerful and terrifying.

that doesn;t make a lot of sense... since its inception there have been almost two decades of computer processing improvement, which includes more efficiency giving lower TDPs and/or higher performance.  I mean really, just think how much more awesome computers are in 2024 than 2005.
Why would they replace the entire powerplant of a jet when they could just develop better computers with superior processors and thermal management.  I'm sure it's some level of bureaucracy or artificial inefficiency that's not letting the people that know how to fix the problems actually fix the problems how they want.  Alot of it too is that it's a fighter supposedly with no equal and there's not a current war with a near peer ... so there's no urgency and engineers essentially have forever to keep tinkering and "fixing" things until they no longer work.  The hallmark of a true engineer; If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.  

What they really need to do is replace the F35B lift fan with a generator/capacitor electrical generation unit (that has 30000 shaft horse power on tap at the front of the engine) and then start hanging 300kW laser-pods off the pylons.  pew! pew! pew! (laser noises)  Imagine trying to fight an aircraft that can kill you anywhere line of sight at the speed of light.

LM does not have halls full of engineers sitting around tinkering, there's either a contract for the work, or not.  When not, the staff is moved to other projects and most of the job shoppers laid off.

There will be small pots of IRAD money that support what might look like tinkering, just long enough to score a CRAD contract to continue fiddling. Some of that work makes its way into production, current or future programs.

Computational power doesn't exist in only a central computer or two.  And I wonder whether F-35 uses one, I never bothered to look at the subsystems due to lack of interest.  In any case, computation is distributed amongst all of the electronic equipment.  The trick is to keep all of it cool and make certain the slow devices can't create a bottleneck.  I suspect there are problems with volume and space around the equipment.

I know. I’ve been at stark for 16+ years

F35 was one of the first programs I worked out of school.  Mostly bitch cad work and drawing updates since I was so green.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
If only the second engine wasnt fucking cancelled
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
The story I hear is that the current engine cannot provide enough electrical power and cooling for the F-35s onboard computers. P&W is working on fixing this, but there's also the idea that GE could build a whole new type of engine which would, if it worked. Address these issues, but this new engine would not be compatible with the lift fan system. Rendering the B model unworkable.

Its a mess, no 2 ways about it. I'm firmly of the view that this is because the plane is too small to fit all this stuff. The existing F-35 is already 3 different planes with only 30% parts commonality between the whole fleet.

I see no way out of this except an apocalyptic war which would expunge the military industrial complex in its current form. Likely replacing it with something far more corrupt, powerful and terrifying.
If only the second engine wasnt fucking cancelled

A single engine naval dog fighter is a travesty. We've never done that before, for good reason.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

They built the P57 in three days from concept to delivery in Weija 2.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#36]

what kills me is the airforce mission capable numbers collapsing to 0% while the Navy's F-35C mission capable numbers are at least trending the right way, so they are at least getting birds into the air. What the hell is the airforce doing?
View Quote

Following the orders of their demonic masters by degrading our sovereign might so we have to roll over to the CCP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By realwar:
$90,000 for this little bag of bushings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYWie96j3aQ
View Quote

If he wanted to cut the budget, he should go after welfare FWA.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I bet Isreal's F35's are nearly all combat ready. Maybe it's because of the user or politics
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Like the P38
Can opener
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#40]

I realized I needed to reply directly to this so that everybody can see how bullshit this chart is.

The aircraft built between 2008 and 2011 include a dozen test airframes, and less then 40 LRIP airframes.  The first LRIP airframes ordered in 2007 were not delivered until 2011 when they delivered 9 and in 2012 they delivered 29, and we are talking all block 1 aircraft which were never combat capable, that didn't happen till Block 2.

View Quote
Don't start bringing facts in here, are you purposely trying to fuck up a good GD circle jerk?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#41]

I realized I needed to reply directly to this so that everybody can see how bullshit this chart is.

The aircraft built between 2008 and 2011 include a dozen test airframes, and less then 40 LRIP airframes.  The first LRIP airframes ordered in 2007 were not delivered until 2011 when they delivered 9 and in 2012 they delivered 29, and we are talking all block 1 aircraft which were never combat capable, that didn't happen till Block 2.

View All Quotes

For anyone still reading this thread that didn't already know what GOA/POGO is all about, now you do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Probably because they don't like talking on the interphone.  
View Quote

There's a "cold mic" switch in the Strike that gets used plenty often.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
That's high praise considering how much ass the Mudhen kicks.
View Quote

Indeed, which is why the people who claim the F-35 sucks based on things they've read on the internet are usually talking out of their rectums.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:
A single engine naval dog fighter is a travesty. We've never done that before, for good reason.
View Quote

LOL, wut?

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

LOL, wut?

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/F-8-AIM-9.jpg

Sir this is GD. Please be outraged at the way they're  wasting our money and how dumb they are.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

wildcat
hellcat
corsair
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Lockheed Martin like Boeing and so many other modern manufacturers have overrelied on subcontractors and created an overly complicated web of production that is causing them deep issues.  

Ray Charles could have seen this coming, but somehow modern Western society rewards mediocre jackasses with higher and higher positions both within the private and public sector.
View Quote

It's a good thing all those peeps at all those companies are current on DEI training.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:

that doesn;t make a lot of sense... since its inception there have been almost two decades of computer processing improvement, which includes more efficiency giving lower TDPs and/or higher performance.  I mean really, just think how much more awesome computers are in 2024 than 2005.
Why would they replace the entire powerplant of a jet when they could just develop better computers with superior processors and thermal management.  I'm sure it's some level of bureaucracy or artificial inefficiency that's not letting the people that know how to fix the problems actually fix the problems how they want.  Alot of it too is that it's a fighter supposedly with no equal and there's not a current war with a near peer ... so there's no urgency and engineers essentially have forever to keep tinkering and "fixing" things until they no longer work.  The hallmark of a true engineer; If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.  

What they really need to do is replace the F35B lift fan with a generator/capacitor electrical generation unit (that has 30000 shaft horse power on tap at the front of the engine) and then start hanging 300kW laser-pods off the pylons.  pew! pew! pew! (laser noises)  Imagine trying to fight an aircraft that can kill you anywhere line of sight at the speed of light.

I think that sensitive military equipment sticks to larger die sizes than commercial.  The reason I've heard is improved resistance to nuclear weapons effects, but it is also related to the availability of US chip fabs with the correct programs in place to produce weapons components.  Thus, even with improved processing power on the commercial market, those gains don't necessarily translate to military applications.

Plus, I am guessing now... the operating system is qualified for a particular architecture, and requalifying it is a bigger job than upgrading the engine
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Hard to complain about free shit
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top