BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:

At no point did the OP say service connected injuries were what he was talking about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MilitaryJoe:
I just had some parts replaced in my ankle last month at the V.A hospital. Was injured in service. Also in the past had some shoulder, neck and hand surgeries all at the V.A and all due to injuries I received in the military. Physical therapy too. Guess I should have just not went in and drank water and drove on huh? Just fuck me for getting injured and needing after care I guess.

Maybe i'm just to woke lol.

At no point did the OP say service connected injuries were what he was talking about.

My reply was in general to all the replies.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr_Octagon] [#2]
Quick, dirty, and probably oversimplified math here....

2023 numbers:
There are 17.9 million living military veterans in the US.
The average health insurance cost to an individual is $8,435 per year.
The 2023 budget for the VA was $297 BILLION.

17.9 Million times $8435 = $150.9 BILLION.

I just saved the taxpayers about HALF of the VA budget.

There HAS to be a better way than the dysfunctional and nepotistic VA hospital system.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm saying that getting veterans regular GOOD insurance at no cost to them would seem to be a better solution for care and for the taxpayer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
GD V.A. Medical thread.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I would rather pay more taxes for veteran benefits than probably 90 percent of government programs.  This country need to not fuck over our veterans.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

I wonder when this started? If it’s been around before recently I somehow wasn’t aware
View Quote

I looked around to see if I could find when this all started, lotty dotty everybody getting VA healthcare, and I couldn't find a "start" date. I want to say these benefits started to increase incrementally in 1988 once the VA became a Department with a cabinet position….stands to reason as budget increases so does the rationale for providing services , which in turn justifies a bigger budget and son on.... Typical self fulfilling prophecy of the governement.

I also get the sense that this kicked into high gear post 9/11.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 03Vet:

Millennials? As in the the generation of guys that took Fallujah?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
When the military started accepting millennials

It’s wakeboarder, he’s being cheeky. That’s kind of his thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Having the best military is pretty beneficial to taxpayers, far more than welfare recipients.

Dont like it lower benefits and start a nationwide conscription.

I bet taxpayers will be thrilled when their kids are pulled out of college to serve a 24-36 month term.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

The right tends to dislike government programs that cost billions with no clear benefit to taxpayers.
Having the best military is pretty beneficial to taxpayers, far more than welfare recipients.

Dont like it lower benefits and start a nationwide conscription.

I bet taxpayers will be thrilled when their kids are pulled out of college to serve a 24-36 month term.

To fight who exactly? The Russians and Chinese aren't exactly lining up to shell our shores.

Our military is oversized and we spend way too much on it. It gets us into more conflicts than we otherwise would, this is the exact reason the founding fathers opposed a standing army. We didn't listen, and now the American taxpayer is on the hook for being the world police.

Neo-Con's on the other hand love it. Spend spend spend. Pump up that Boeing and Lockmart stock while their constituency drapes themselves in the flag at every corner. And we wonder why we're in an authoritarian police state now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
We are living with lots of consequences, good and bad, of the 20th century.
The World War that basically lasted from 1914 until the end of the GWOT, with multiple hot and cold phases changed everything about, well, everything. From science and tech to huge social movements to sustaining million man armies for decades.

The unprecedented and long lasting economic boom experienced by the US drained military applicants away throughout the century.
Lots of things(many well intentioned and logical at the time and even for decades on) have ultimately snowballed into things they weren't intended to be.

During and post-Vietnam, the entire military was in a crisis(in many ways very similar to today) and everything from the GI Bill to the Montgomery Bill; enlistment bonuses and guaranteed contracts were all intended to attract qualified recruits. This didn't let up at all until the so-called Peace Dividend after the USSR collapsed, and promptly resumed after 9/11.

The sharp rise in health care costs  and the reduction in benefits at many jobs drove lots of veterans who had never sought VA care to do so.
It's simple human nature to exploit any resource for one's own good, to expect others not to do so is to be deliberately credulous.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By poisontree:
I would rather pay more taxes for veteran benefits than probably 90 percent of government programs.  This country need to not fuck over our veterans.
View Quote
How is paying life long health-care for non-service related conditions fucking over our veterans? It's for sure fucking over our tax payers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Moyockgunner:
Broken L4-L5, S2-S3,  broken clavicle, broken right and left wrists, broken right and left ankles, shattered left knee cap from a bad auto rotation in a CH53. PTSD from watching 15 Marines die a horrible death,  CAD with 3 heart attacks, first one at 35, 2 stents Hypothyroidism and 2 different cancers from Agent Orange exposure. Chronic pain. Limited ROM in every appendage except my crank. I earned every dime of my VA benefits and every bit of medical bills being paid.

Funny, that recruiting office was open for everyone.
View Quote

I’m not sure how to be more clear.
That’s not what I’m talking about.

I’m talking about-
Snuffy got drafted and spent two years in Germany with no injuries,
Smelly pants did nine months before being discharged for shin splints and adjustment disorder,
Or mediocre gal did three years in the PAC shop,
Or schmedlap was on a three year enlistment, gets a general discharge halfway through on a piss test,

And are expecting lifetime primary care, coverage when they get in a car accident, prenatal and OB care, etc.  five years later, have heart failure and dialysis from a ton of cocaine use 15 years later, etc.
Coverage for their beetus  and morbid obesity 30 years later, etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
100% disabled feels so good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

I'm not sure how to be more clear.
That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about-
Smelly pants did nine months before being discharged for shin splints and adjustment disorder,
Or schmedlap was on a three year enlistment, gets a general discharge halfway through on a piss test,

And are expecting lifetime primary care, coverage when they get in a car accident, prenatal and OB care, etc.  five years later, have heart failure and dialysis from a ton of cocaine use 15 years later, etc.
View All Quotes
Broken L4-L5, S2-S3,  broken clavicle, broken right and left wrists, broken right and left ankles, shattered left knee cap from a bad auto rotation in a CH53. PTSD from watching 15 Marines die a horrible death,  CAD with 3 heart attacks, first one at 35, 2 stents Hypothyroidism and 2 different cancers from Agent Orange exposure. Chronic pain. Limited ROM in every appendage except my crank. I earned every dime of my VA benefits and every bit of medical bills being paid.

I'm not sure how to be more clear.
That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about-

It's a topic that will never sit well with most veterans themselves, similar to QI and police, because they can't justify it outside of ideological grounds, and you're a heretic if you don't believe what they do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#13]
OP starts a thread that's sure to rustle some feathers.

Then OP states "I’m not looking for argument or debate."

LOL.

Do some people abuse the VA system? Sure. I'm more concerned with the generations of people  that have no skin in the game expecting lifelong food/medical care/cell phones/etc from the Gov.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The V.A. Population is small and getting smaller with peacetime Cold War era vets now outnumbering WW2 Korea and Vietnam vets. Millennials are about 4% of the vet population and fewer and fewer people have served or are serving.

With that in mind, I’ve seen some odd stuff over the years but wasn’t aware of what you described being large scale. But then im also not that description and I try as much as I can to get in and get out for my appointments mainly to avoid traffic when I go so it sounds like I’ve missed interacting with these vets.

Example, access to military bases as far as I know is limited to retirees, former POW, MOH recipients, Purple Heart recipients so i don’t encounter the vets described when I go on post.

Long winded post baby me to say I don’t know.

Is there a time frame this became noticeable?

I was under the impression only service connected vers with a rating had access to VA care after a year from discharge?

View Quote

Since most PXes and exchanges have been opened to vets, they are allowed on base to use them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dr_Octagon:

2023 numbers:

There HAS to be a better way than the dysfunctional and nepotistic VA hospital system.
View Quote

You could literally pay full sticker at the best hospitals in the country and still save billions. Plus the vets would get better care.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
The VA should not exist.
They should get a discount, or voucher, or have fees waived (in some cases) through the traditional medical practice.

Change my mind
View Quote

We house, feed, educate, and provide medical care for people not even US citizens!  Washington state is like the highest paying unemployment in the country! Washington state provides Apple care to homeless and people out of work.  

Less than 7% of the entire population of USA has ever had anything to do with the military and less than a 1/3 of that gets benefits and medical care.  

What the fuck? Are you saying we should leave our vets in the dust and just take care of dreamers and poor people..  

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Of the thousands of things our .gov does that one could be annoyed about OP picks this “issue” to be butt hurt about.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By fdawg:

We house, feed, educate, and provide medical care for people not even US citizens!  Washington state is like the highest paying unemployment in the country! Washington state provides Apple care to homeless and people out of work.  

Less than 7% of the entire population of USA has ever had anything to do with the military and less than a 1/3 of that gets benefits and medical care.  

What the fuck? Are you saying we should leave our vets in the dust and just take care of dreamers and poor people..  

View Quote

"Hey look the government gives other people money ineffectually too" is not a good argument to retain a bad system.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Seems like a legitimate question to spark conversation.

At what point should the taxpayers shoulder lifetime care for someone that served, and how did it get to the way it is now?
View Quote

Back in the early 70's, I was promised by the recruiter that if I did 20 years, then I would get free healthcare for my spouse and myself for life. That was a well known promise made by recruiters.

After Col. Bud Day sued, the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C., ruled in 2002 9-to-4 that whatever recruiters had promised was not binding unless supported by statute, and that Congress never passed a law authorizing free lifetime health care. They basically said, "Show us in writing that you were promised free healthcare for life. You can't. Sorry, but your recruiter lied."

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Or fighting the VA to get a cpap…

You don’t have apnea from 4 years of service 30 years ago. It’s because you’re old and fat.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#21]
This thought process can eat a dick.

I fought long enough in the forever war quagmire that is the GWOT and unless they can restore my body back to the way it was - they can give me fucking healthcare.

I'm 42 and my body is probably on par with a 65 year old's due to doing infantry shit for years.

Take care of the other horseshit we waste money on and then come back and talk to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 9mmprn:
Of the thousands of things our .gov does that one could be annoyed about OP picks this “issue” to be butt hurt about.  

View Quote

The socialized healthcare system for vets is about to cost more than the rest of the military. That's kind of a big deal when you can't afford expendables to train because you spent the budget on a series of hospitals located right next to better hospitals.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bansil:

VA benefits vary, to start with if a veteran goes to the VA for care, they get a Primary care Dr.and
when you choose the "health care" it is 3 or 4 different levels, you have co-pays etc. very similar to Obunghole insurance, nothing is free, you pay for xrays etc.

You will get a VA card that basically says you chose this health care, that picture ID will not get you on base and if your on base with a "sponsor" and go to the PX your VA health card doesn't mean shit...no service...good buy

Now, if you are service connected then your benefits change to a degree, your picture ID will have "service connected" under your picture, or POW, MOH etc. that allows you to get on bases and shop etc.

Now the "service connected" services you get will be free, like hearing aids, you won't get monetary compensation for hearing loss 99% of the time. But ear exams, tinnitus checks hearing aids etc. are covered.

The compensation you receive is tax free ,you can do 6 claims you can "prove" and you may only be 20% when the math is done.

It is Tier system

View Quote

Hmmm, okay
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Airborne11B:

I fought long enough in the forever war quagmire that is the GWOT and unless they can restore my body back to the way it was - they can give me fucking healthcare.

I'm 42 and my body is probably on par with a 65 year old's due to doing infantry shit for years.

Take care of the other horseshit we waste money on and then come back and talk to me.
View Quote

If you had the choice to walk into any hospital in the country and swipe a VA card vs having to go to the VA system which one would you want?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#25]
A very good friend of mine is the Veteran’s Service Officer for a neighboring county.

For years he told me to start claims for the injuries I received.  Nothing major, but they did happen during a combat tour.  

He said to not look at it as disability pay, but as a workman’s comp issue.  We were employed to do a job, if we were injured while doing that job, then we deserved compensation.

I know many of the guys I went to DS with have gotten 100% disability for many things, some of them are PTSD.

I only had one flashback, that was quite graphic, after coming home, and don’t believe I have PTSD, and I don’t know what we did or saw that caused the others to have it.  I don’t understand it so I am not qualified to comment on it.

On another note, healthcare and long term elder care facilities are getting ready to take a massive hit when the boomers and silent gen die off, and they are already scared…

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#26]
You should ask the poster here that thinks the VA should cover his potential cancer treatment from smoking while in the service, that he picked up while in the service.
View Quote

That's an interesting question.

I went into basic training a non-smoker. After seeing the smokers get to take multiple breaks while I continued scrubbing the latrine or whatever, I decided to join them and wound up being a smoker for the next 34 years.

Did I decide to start smoking? Yes. Did the military encourage me to start smoking? In a way, also yes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
GD V.A. Medical thread.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/techno_viking_gif-1023.gif
View Quote

Step up from California lane splitting motorcycle thread
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#28]

If you had the choice to walk into any hospital in the country and swipe a VA card vs having to go to the VA system which one would you want?
View Quote

VA Hospitals widely vary but I can tell you my experiences with actual VA care has been stellar in all terms of whatever problem I have/had . . . they even referred me to Walter Reed for my TBI shit and I got world class care from them.

As far as the bureaucracy it's stupid as fuck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]

2023 numbers:

View Quote

There is, but once you make a cash cow department in the government, good luck getting rid of it.

A voucher system and tiered copay, usable at ANY medical facility,  would work very well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Because AIRBORNE!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By pdm:

I looked around to see if I could find when this all started, lotty dotty everybody getting VA healthcare, and I couldn't find a "start" date. I want to say these benefits started to increase incrementally in 1988 once the VA became a Department with a cabinet position….stands to reason as budget increases so does the rationale for providing services , which in turn justifies a bigger budget and son on.... Typical self fulfilling prophecy of the governement.

I also get the sense that this kicked into high gear post 9/11.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#32]
Originally Posted By SuperSixOne:
To fight who exactly? The Russians and Chinese aren't exactly lining up to shell our shores.

Our military is oversized and we spend way too much on it. It gets us into more conflicts than we otherwise would, this is the exact reason the founding fathers opposed a standing army. We didn't listen, and now the American taxpayer is on the hook for being the world police.

Neo-Con's on the other hand love it. Spend spend spend. Pump up that Boeing and Lockmart stock while their constituency drapes themselves in the flag at every corner. And we wonder why we're in an authoritarian police state now.
View Quote

The founding fathers did not oppose a standing military. They neither disbanded the Navy & Marines nor the Army https://oldguard.mdw.army.mil/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Strela:
OP starts a thread that's sure to rustle some feathers.

Then OP states "I’m not looking for argument or debate."

LOL.

Do some people abuse the VA system? Sure. I'm more concerned with the generations of people  that have no skin in the game expecting lifelong food/medical care/cell phones/etc from the Gov.
View Quote

Again, my intent isn’t to argue whether veterans are more deserving than illegal immigrants, welfare recipients, felons in prison getting medical care, etc.

And it certainly isn’t to debate that .gov shouldn’t be on the hook for connected stuff.

But, in the last several years I have come across veterans and non veterans who are:
pissed/mad that just any veteran can’t use, say the ER, clinics, and hospital on a military base when this was always clearly a retiree benefit

Expect the VA to cover all their primary care, non .mil related stuff like having babies, all the regular aging stuff, all the self inflicted stuff like COPD, accidents, etc. when this was all clearly an expectation of service connected or 100%

Thought all their prescriptions would be free for life for regular aging, inherited stuff, etc.

And I and a ton of my fellow veterans, retirees, etc, are just kind of incredulous and the concept is sort of foreign to us.

Did people grow up in different regions, cultures, etc. /
Have an incredibly different military service?
Get lied to by recruiters?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Thanks for serving!   It is amazing that of all the spending to be upset about people target the VA.   The VA has its issues but it has saved my life and people I have served with..  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
Funny how a bunch of them will shit on "the poors" for being on welfare, but scream that they are owed life long healthcare from the government because they spent 4 years state side and never saw combat.
If you get injured on the job, your injury should be taken care of.  Got the betus because you are a fat lazy slob, you should pay your own way then.
View Quote

Go work VA inpatient psych. It will open your eyes to the shitbags gaming the system trying to get freebies.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Didn't retire, no rating, nothing officially service-connected, no monthly check. Though I do having some chronic back pain that is most likely service-connected.  Did spend the last ~20 years supporting the military in a more useful manner than had I been on active duty.   I'm now getting some care via the VA.   Though it's really only because I've been out of work for over six months.  I knew I would be and just prior to that happening the VA was notifying me to enroll so I did.  I got a basic physical, lab tests and some xrays done. They also mailed me some meds for my back.  No complaints about the service.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RichHead:

A majority of the claims and appeals I helped process while working at the VBA (about 10 years ago) were Cold War era peace time veterans.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RichHead:
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
When the military started accepting millennials

A majority of the claims and appeals I helped process while working at the VBA (about 10 years ago) were Cold War era peace time veterans.

I was going to say... Millennials like my father born in the early 50s?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:32:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrtatonka] [#38]

Most of those injuries are common in car wrecks and trade work.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
The VA should not exist.
They should get a discount, or voucher, or have fees waived (in some cases) through the traditional medical practice.

Change my mind

Your local Urgent Care or Dr. probably has zero experience with the after effects of traumatic amputation, PTSD, TBI, paratroopers knees, Govt issued eeeeeeeee, or other injuries that are not commonly seen in the general (slacker/civilian) population.

Most of those injuries are common in car wrecks and trade work.

Common in car wrecks and trade work?  How many people experience "car wrecks" everyday for 6-18 months causing PTSD and TBI's, only to go home for 6-24 months before they return to the same environment/situation that caused the PTSD and TBI's for another stint?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#39]

The right tends to dislike government programs that cost billions with no clear benefit to taxpayers.
View Quote

Like wars in the Middle East?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

Since most PXes and exchanges have been opened to vets, they are allowed on base to use them.
View Quote

I’m not aware any vet has access to NEX or AAFES on post. I was under the impression vets were limited to online GovX unless a Purple Heart recipient, MoH awardee or former POW if not retired from military service.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#41]
When they stop giving lazy ass fuckers medicade and welfare then we can talk about what kind care and money our veterans deserve.

What you are seeing is a reduced veteran population with the same number of VA clinics open.

On top of caring for veterans they need people using these clinics to keep them open.

To do this veterans get increased care and benefits.

No veterans being treated, no clinics and VA employees losing their job.

If a clinic goes away it may not come back, next war might have tremendous casualties.

We need VA clinics to be in operation just in case.

People that don't like it, the military has jobs available. If the VA has issues we can always end welfare to keep them going.

Veterans earned their benefit's unlike immigrants and most welfare recipients.

If I had my way disabled combat vets wouldn't pay taxes or property tax.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't know, but the costs are completely out of control.

Next years VA budget will be 400 billion, or roughly half the cost of the entire military. To put it in perspective Medicaid is 800bn and takes care of 30x as many people.
View All Quotes
I don't know, but the costs are completely out of control.

Next years VA budget will be 400 billion, or roughly half the cost of the entire military. To put it in perspective Medicaid is 800bn and takes care of 30x as many people.

2023 numbers:

EDIT: To clarify, I'm saying that getting veterans regular GOOD insurance at no cost to them would seem to be a better solution for care and for the taxpayer.

The VA does all kinds of things outside of just providing health care.

They pay out GI Bill education benefits.

They provide burial benefits.

They pay out disability compensation.

They provide help with home loans.

They provide vocational assistance.

All the usual caveats apply with huge government agencies in regards to waste, bloat, incompetence, etc, but the VA does a lot of very expensive things, and their customer base is all people that raised their right hands and signed their lives away to the United States of America.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#43]

VA Hospitals widely vary but I can tell you my experiences with actual VA care has been stellar in all terms of whatever problem I have/had . . . they even referred me to Walter Reed for my TBI shit and I got world class care from them.

As far as the bureaucracy it's stupid as fuck.
View Quote

Same. I have zero complaints of the care I receive from the V.A. If any appt is scheduled to far out I can get referred to a civi counterpart. I also have been to Reed a few times. I was just at the VA today for my last post op ankle surgery appt and was fitted for an orthopedic device.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#44]
On one side we waste money on plenty of other shit that should be scrutinized first, but on the other hand I know there are guys in their grifting.

At the same time, we have plenty of veterans offing themselves with PTSD and people who genuinely served that I have no problem with our taxes helping out.

It is a hard balance though and how would you define it.  I look at my dad, he is 74 (overweight even though I am on his case constantly about it). He spent 33yr active duty and has about zero hearing, messed up back and shoulder, torn his achilles, etc. which are a direct result of service/war time injuries.  But he is also old and so all of his ailments get dealt with through the VA.

Not a simple answer but similar to congress getting retirement/pensions for grifting, should we be giving guys in the military who did a couple years easy service and really dont have service related industries care for life - prob not.  

I am sure the number is out there, but I wonder what percentage federal spending goes to VA care costs?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By jrtatonka:

Common in car wrecks and trade work?  How many people experience "car wrecks" everyday for 6-18 months causing PTSD and TBI's, only to go home for 6-24 months before they return to the same environment/situation that caused the PTSD and TBI's for another stint?
View Quote

All of those are all easily treated at most large hospitals, most likely by providers that are better than the providers at the current V.A system.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I don’t know why people think I’m against .gov taking care of stuff .mil broke.
I was a field grade in my 40s doing direct support on the objective in TICs with Ranger Bn guys that were not even born yet when I was an 11B in their Bn.  I get the real .mil.  I knew some of the greatest examples of America that are no longer here or that, possibly even worse, are a shadow of what they were.

I’m also not supporting cutting money for supporting veterans to give more to welfare bums and stuff.

It’s a pretty basic question that was foreign to me and a lot of people known over decades.

When did veterans start expecting lifetime medical care for stuff to be covered as well or better than when they were on active duty, or as well or better than those that served a full career and retired from active duty?

It was never a concept to me.

Like, for regular stuff.
SPC Dipshit was a supply clerk stateside that got pregnant twice to get out of deployments, ETSd, and now expects free medical care for life.  
Or SGT Fuktard did four years from 78 to 82, broke his leg and got a DUI on a holiday weekend on his motorcycle, and expects the VA to take care of his diabetes, hypertension, new broken arm from falling down the stairs while high, etc. Now.

I honestly don’t know how to be more clear.
I’m not talking about service connected injuries and medical problems, etc.
I’m talking about vets thinking they get the same medical benefits as say a military retiree,
Or coverage for totally regular life stuff that has nothing to do with being a vet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#47]

I’m not aware any vet has access to NEX or AAFES on post. I was under the impression vets were limited to online GovX unless a Purple Heart recipient, MoH awardee or former POW if not retired from military service.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

VA Benefit Matrix
Service connected even at 0% has those privilege's

Attachment Attached File

non service connected just using the health care
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stickfigure] [#48]
I had a severe kidney stone last month, 9x2mm big-un and 3-4 more that were still in the kidney.

Went to the emergency room twice for severe pain and nausea from it, 2 surgeries for stents and the stone removal.

I'm 90%VA disability, which is in work for an increase as I write this.

They stated everything is paid for and the couple bills I have I believe I just need to make claims for.

So far they have taken care of everything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bansil:

VA Benefit Matrix
Service connected even at 0% has those privilege's

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/388306/service_connect_png-3190509.JPG

non service connected just using the health care
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/388306/no_service_connect_png-3190510.JPG
View Quote

0 % ? Well you learn something every day. Had no clue such a thing existed or was possible. Zero percent - gonna have to wrap my head around that one
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:47:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Airborne11B] [#50]

I don’t know why people think I’m against .gov taking care of stuff .mil broke.
I was a field grade in my 40s doing direct support on the objective in TICs with Ranger Bn guys that were not even born yet when I was an 11B in their Bn.  I get the real .mil.  I knew some of the greatest examples of America that are no longer here or that, possibly even worse, are a shadow of what they were.

I’m also not supporting cutting money for supporting veterans to give more to welfare bums and stuff.

It’s a pretty basic question that was foreign to me and a lot of people known over decades.

When did veterans start expecting lifetime medical care for stuff to be covered as well or better than when they were on active duty, or as well or better than those that served a full career and retired from active duty?

It was never a concept to me.

Like, for regular stuff.
SPC Dipshit was a supply clerk stateside that got pregnant twice to get out of deployments, ETSd, and now expects free medical care for life.  
Or SGT Fuktard did four years from 78 to 82, broke his leg and got a DUI on a holiday weekend on his motorcycle, and expects the VA to take care of his diabetes, hypertension, new broken arm from falling down the stairs while high, etc. Now.

I honestly don’t know how to be more clear.
I’m not talking about service connected injuries and medical problems, etc.
I’m talking about vets thinking they get the same medical benefits as say a military retiree,
Or coverage for totally regular life stuff that has nothing to do with being a vet.
View Quote

In that case, I completely agree - just because you served doesn't mean you're entitled to shit. I think MOS should also favor heavily into it - being combat arms even dudes who never deployed, training takes it's toll and breaks people.

But understanding your core argument - I agree with that, you shouldn't get free health care just because. If the military caused it to be broken, hell yeah - but in that case, no, you don't deserve shit. Unless you were drafted, then it's a tad bit different.

And there's a ton of fucking shit bags who never did shit in the military, never deployed, never did a single fucking thing - but still somehow get 100% and it annoys the shit out of me.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top