BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

If he has Tricare, then he is either retired, or still actively serving in the Reserves, or his wife is one of those two options.

Nobody that serves "a few hours" as you suggest, would be qualified for Tricare on that merit alone...

Don't forget, military service was open to everyone that met the qualifications, and our military has been 100% voluntary for quite some time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:
One of my employees who did a few tours in Iraq does not participate in our healthplan because he has Tricare or whatever it is called. His choice, he saves about 200 a month.

If he has Tricare, then he is either retired, or still actively serving in the Reserves, or his wife is one of those two options.

Nobody that serves "a few hours" as you suggest, would be qualified for Tricare on that merit alone...

Don't forget, military service was open to everyone that met the qualifications, and our military has been 100% voluntary for quite some time

He said tours.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
I can't hot link, but I recommended everyone Google and read; The Last Of the Light Brigade, by Kippling.
View Quote

Or Tommy
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The Iraq / Afghanistan campaigns really opened up new / better medical care for veterans. Things that were flat out denied, or very difficult to get previously, were suddenly rubber stamped approved due to public outcry to take care of the troops / high troop support.

It was a very good thing overall, when compared to previous treatment by Va .
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
to all the people complaining about Veterans receiving retirement benefits, I am laughing at you as I cash my checks for my near 100K combined retirement. 29 years Army + 100% VA.  

Had I managed to stay just one more year to 30, it would be even more, but my retirement was mandatory because I had cancer. For the second time.

So cry all you want, and compare military benefits to welfare all you want.  But we all know why it really bothers you so much. And it has to do with what YOU were LACKING

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

This plus one... by the time I retired I had over 1800 pages of medical records. At one of my visits at around the 18 year mark, the PFC that was doing the intake exam asked me "damn, SSG... how are you even still in the Army?!"

Me: "Willpower, hate, and inertia."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
Originally Posted By StevenH:

I was denied all of my orthopedict conditions. Things I went to medical for were missing from my records. Things that were in my records were disregarded my the VA claims examiner. Other things I just never got seen for. Who goes to medical for a twisted ankle? I should have, because I have a complete separation of an ankle ligament and it will hurt every day the rest of my life. Shoulders both hurt. Never went to medical for them so I didn’t even claim them. Shoulder pain is 20% per shoulder IIRC.

Active duty guys: if you injure your shoulder go to medical!

I saved every sick-call slip and medical document ever given to me.

When the VA was reviewing my medical conditions, almost all of my claims were service connected because I had the paperwork to back it up.

I tell people, if you're injured, get it documented. You may not need to go to sick-call or on profile, but get it documented because you never know if it'll get worse.

This plus one... by the time I retired I had over 1800 pages of medical records. At one of my visits at around the 18 year mark, the PFC that was doing the intake exam asked me "damn, SSG... how are you even still in the Army?!"

Yup, my medical records COMPLETELY fill up a jansport back pack, approx 10” thick / 25lbs worth, like packing around an entire ream of paper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:48:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Palm] [#6]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
Funny how a bunch of them will shit on "the poors" for being on welfare, but scream that they are owed life long healthcare from the government because they spent 4 years state side and never saw combat.
If you get injured on the job, your injury should be taken care of.  Got the betus because you are a fat lazy slob, you should pay your own way then.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
Funny how a bunch of them will shit on "the poors" for being on welfare, but scream that they are owed life long healthcare from the government because they spent 4 years state side and never saw combat.
If you get injured on the job, your injury should be taken care of.  Got the betus because you are a fat lazy slob, you should pay your own way then.

As a result of the abandonment of Civil War veterans the 14th amendment was ratified to include the constitutional authority to take care of veterans amount other things. Most people think the 14th Amendment was solely about slavery; but it is not. It was a catch-all amendment that addressed a number of problems arising from the Civil War. Section 4 covered the veterans right to compensation for service connected disabilities. It does not require them to be combat related.
Section 4.
The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

“Bounties for service” are interpreted by the Supreme Court to include service connected health issues.  Post 9/11 brought about the expansion and the liberal interpretation of Service Connected Disabilities.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I never served in the military, but I imagine health care would be a huge incentive to join in an all-volunteer force. The Vietnam War ended one month before I graduated high school. Because of the draw down, I doubt they would even accept me as a volunteer straight out of high school.

People that begrudge veterans benefits should take the Oath and serve. I know a lot of drug addicts/alcoholics that have blamed their service time for not being able to hold a job, constantly scheming to get their disability percentage increased. I have volunteered a VA hospital over the course of many years and have seen it over and over again.

I have also seen people missing limbs and blinded, so there is that. There will always be people that take advantage of government benefits. I would prefer to see the total elimination of welfare before any talk of attacking our veteran's benefits.
View Quote

Yup. I re-enlisted in the guard a week before 9/11 popped off, great timing.

Anyway, Circa 2006 I was working at a Dana axle plant in ky, and volunteered for an upcoming Iraq deployment ( camp slayer 06/08 ) time frame. .  My coworkers gave me huge shit for volunteering to go to iraq. “ idiot, dumbass, dumb fuck, military’s for losers who can’t get real jobs !  I’d run to Canada before I’d get sent to IRAQ !  All very common phrases I heard at Dana, and in high school going forward throughout the years.

Fast forward several years, Iv gone thru train up, deployment, 6 months in desert, medical evacuation for dizziness issues,  sitting in hospitals doing endless testing, medical holding units, finally getting sent back home , time at home for recoperation, dealing with the Va bullshit, ( luckily I had mountains of documentation / records ) etc,  and I’m now back home / fully medically retired, and making much more $ $ than I had working full time at Dana even working 6-7 days a week x 10 hour shifts and looking forward to getting ky guard retirement at age 60 as well.

Dana did a 50% permanent layoff during my deployment and now most of said coworkers with shitty comments are working elsewhere, i ran into several here and there over the years, all were shocked when I said I had been retired since 2008, last one was working at Lowe’s around 2014. When he found out I was fully retired at 40 years old / back in 2008, and with free medical care for life, he about shit. “MUST BE FUCKING NICE “ ! .  “ I can’t retire for another goddaymned 25-30 years of working, and I don’t have any medical insurance at all “ !  

I simply replied, “ instead of making snide comments, and a lifetime of hating / avoiding military service, you could have joined up at 18 like I did, because recruiter office was open to everyone. joined, then suffered a bit more for those first 20 years of work dealing with military bullshit, than working civilian jobs and already been retired like me, Vs whatever you did do “.

I don’t think I’m better than anyone, or people working civilian jobs, or people working till 65, or working shit jobs to the day they die, there’s pride in working hard, and I respect those people, but if your going to disparage my service and sacrifice, then later act pissed off / jealous because I’m receiving hard earned benefits you can’t get / don’t enjoy, then I’m going to take pleasure in that exchange. You had the same opportunities I had, you just chose to not take advantage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
to all the people complaining about Veterans receiving retirement benefits, I am laughing at you as I cash my checks for my near 100K combined retirement. 29 years Army + 100% VA.  

Had I managed to stay just one more year to 30, it would be even more, but my retirement was mandatory because I had cancer. For the second time.

So cry all you want, and compare military benefits to welfare all you want.  But we all know why it really bothers you so much. And it has to do with what YOU were LACKING

View Quote

THIS!
Just quoting to make sure this is seen by a few who need to read it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a peacetime vet (USA 1977-84) who is eligible for VA care, but I would have to pay a (relatively small) copay fee for just about anything they would do, from major surgeries down to prescriptions and individual tests.  I've only taken advantage of it once, back in the early 1990's when I was between jobs and had no health insurance, a VA doctor in Providence RI prescribed an antibiotic that cured a really bad inner ear infection.  It saved me a lot of money that I didn't have and probably saved my life too.  

Every year since 2013 the government has sent me a letter telling me that I qualify for VA care and that it will meet the health coverage mandates as required by the Feds and State.  It hasn't been an issue since I've always had coverage through my work, but who knows maybe I will be forced to make use of it when i am retired and don't have that option any more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Amen.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Well said.  Even if the damage hadn’t been done to me, the stress and toll my injuries have taken on my wife and kids from having me in the hospital for the better part of a decade means you will get absolutely no apology from me for taking full advantage of my benefits
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

I’m not sure how to be more clear.
That’s not what I’m talking about.

I’m talking about-
Snuffy got drafted and spent two years in Germany with no injuries,
Smelly pants did nine months before being discharged for shin splints and adjustment disorder,
Or mediocre gal did three years in the PAC shop,
Or schmedlap was on a three year enlistment, gets a general discharge halfway through on a piss test,

And are expecting lifetime primary care, coverage when they get in a car accident, prenatal and OB care, etc.  five years later, have heart failure and dialysis from a ton of cocaine use 15 years later, etc.
Coverage for their beetus  and morbid obesity 30 years later, etc.
View Quote

These people are not getting VA or tricare unless they are majorly scamming the system.  If they were not scamming the VA, they would just be scamming SS.  Either way, they would be scamming the system.

You must be retired to continue Tricare, and you must have documented service connected injury or illness to get VA
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
If you have an Honorable Discharge and a DD214, you are a veteran whether you ever had combat of not. You are eligible for all veterans' benefits. I never used any of it, always being gainfully employed with company health care. then I turned 65 and started on Medicare. I don't really have any thoughts on the VA system except to say that it is obvious that millions of veterans have had the need for their services and veterans continue to need the VA. As times change, it may become passe' but for the present it is a very busy group.
View Quote

Thank you for your service but you are completely WRONG
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't think this went the way OP wanted it to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

Yup, my medical records COMPLETELY fill up a jansport back pack, approx 10” thick / 25lbs worth, like packing around an entire ream of paper.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

I was denied all of my orthopedict conditions. Things I went to medical for were missing from my records. Things that were in my records were disregarded my the VA claims examiner. Other things I just never got seen for. Who goes to medical for a twisted ankle? I should have, because I have a complete separation of an ankle ligament and it will hurt every day the rest of my life. Shoulders both hurt. Never went to medical for them so I didn’t even claim them. Shoulder pain is 20% per shoulder IIRC.

Active duty guys: if you injure your shoulder go to medical!

I saved every sick-call slip and medical document ever given to me.

When the VA was reviewing my medical conditions, almost all of my claims were service connected because I had the paperwork to back it up.

I tell people, if you're injured, get it documented. You may not need to go to sick-call or on profile, but get it documented because you never know if it'll get worse.

They gave me mine on a CD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#16]
To the extent that SS is a welfare program, so is lifetime health care for vets esp. those who served 4-5 years and never suffered a hangnail during their service.  That said, it's #87 on my list of things to be outraged about.  They took advantage of the plan that was offered.  They didn't steal anything.

However, I'd be super duper happy if every vet who uses the VA plan, and who complains about SS, would just STFU.  Some people paid into SS for 40-50 years, not 4-5 years.  They also used the plan as it was offered.  They also didn't steal anything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]

True. My ex wife never deployed. Spent one year in Okinawa out of her 7-year enlistment. She got a 30% rating right away. Definitely under rated. Uses VA health care exclusively. No private insurance
View Quote

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of situation that is a foreign concept to me and hundreds of people I was enlisted with, an officer with, that were veterans at other times, that ETSd, that retired, etc.

So, say someone did an enlistment, got a foot broken when something fell on it,
Separated  a shoulder while doing an obstacle course, etc.
Re-upped or extended and also have some back pain and sprained an ankle, etc. ETSd,
and racked up 30% of service connected stuff.

Myself, and everyone of those hundreds of other people are like-

What?  Full VA health care for life paying for everything and never need private insurance?
When did that become a thing?  Even full on tricare retirees have copays, costs, etc.
I get they do it for 100% disabled vets - some legit and a bunch of wazoo sketchy “100%” types,
But when did everyone getting out the service start expecting full medical coverage and never needing insurance, etc.
Sure, they told people joining if they retired they would get full medical for life, but that was not cost free, there were space available issues, etc. and told us VA would cover stuff that happened to us even if we didn’t retire, but never needing to have insurance or the VA paying for everything medical was never something we were promised, etc.  When did that concept come about?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#18]

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of situation that is a foreign concept to me and hundreds of people I was enlisted with, an officer with, that were veterans at other times, that ETSd, that retired, etc.

Re-upped or extended and also have some back pain and sprained an ankle, etc. ETSd,

What?  Full VA health care for life paying for everything and never need private insurance?
When did that become a thing?  Even full on tricare retirees have copays, costs, etc.
I get they do it for 100% disabled vets - some legit and a bunch of wazoo sketchy “100%” types,
But when did everyone getting out the service start expecting full medical coverage and never needing insurance, etc.
Sure, they told people joining if they retired they would get full medical for life, but that was not cost free, there were space available issues, etc. and told us VA would cover stuff that happened to us even if we didn’t retire, but never needing to have insurance or the VA paying for everything medical was never something we were promised, etc.  When did that concept come about?
View All Quotes

True. My ex wife never deployed. Spent one year in Okinawa out of her 7-year enlistment. She got a 30% rating right away. Definitely under rated. Uses VA health care exclusively. No private insurance

I don’t know. Based on my grandfathers WW2 experiences I knew before I enlisted that VA health care was there for veterans.

Health insurance is pretty recent concept.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Why are people so hung up on " out of country"?  Military get hurt or killed every day in CONUS. Every service member signed that blank check.  After that, they had very little say in where they were stationed/deployed.
View Quote

In general, I think most currently serving and that formerly served use it as kind of a “shorthand” for people that
“Did dangerous stuff” vs people that did not do dangerous stuff.

It’s certainly not accurate.  People get seriously injured jumping out of planes, crashing helicopters, blowing stuff up, etc. during peacetime and also training at anytime, etc.

What they are generally trying to say is -
Why did the chick that was chaptered out after half her enlistment in the PAC shop that never did any serious, risky training, deploy, be in real combat, etc. get 100% for migraines, PTSD, pelvic pain, back pain, depression, anxiety, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#20]

In general, I think most currently serving and that formerly served use it as kind of a “shorthand” for people that
“Did dangerous stuff” vs people that did not do dangerous stuff.

It’s certainly not accurate.  People get seriously injured jumping out of planes, crashing helicopters, blowing stuff up, etc. during peacetime and also training at anytime, etc.

What they are generally trying to say is -
Why did the chick that was chaptered out after half her enlistment in the PAC shop that never did any serious, risky training, deploy, be in real combat, etc. get 100% for migraines, PTSD, pelvic pain, back pain, depression, anxiety, etc.
View Quote

Because the law says  if those conditions were caused by or  aggravated by, or diagnosed during active duty service, she should.

Though that’s a different program than VA healthcare
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
When they stop giving lazy ass fuckers medicade and welfare then we can talk about what kind care and money our veterans deserve.

What you are seeing is a reduced veteran population with the same number of VA clinics open.

On top of caring for veterans they need people using these clinics to keep them open.

To do this veterans get increased care and benefits.

No veterans being treated, no clinics and VA employees losing their job.

If a clinic goes away it may not come back, next war might have tremendous casualties.

We need VA clinics to be in operation just in case.

People that don't like it, the military has jobs available. If the VA has issues we can always end welfare to keep them going.

Veterans earned their benefit's unlike immigrants and most welfare recipients.

If I had my way disabled combat vets wouldn't pay taxes or property tax.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
I'm not talking about the 100% rated ones, be it legit or sketchy.
I mean in general.

When I was a little kid in the 70s there were a ton of veterans.
Guys in their 50s that had been in WWII.  Korean War vets.  Dudes in their 20s that had been in VN.  And a shit load of draftee and volunteer peacetime types.  Even one or two old timers with pre WWII service.

They would go a couple of hours away for VA care once in a while for stuff from their service time bugging them, like the hip with shrapnel in it, gut problems from when they were shot, getting some new hearing aids, etc.  And on occasion some old guy with no family going off to one of their rest homes.

Now, a benefit of retiring from military service is tricare medical coverage.  And it has copays, caps, etc.
Even then dental and eye are kind of weak.
I'm not talking about retirees.

I mean people that did like 3 years in Germany in the late 70s, or were in for 9 months in 1982 before a general discharge, etc. that weight 300 pounds and have heart failure, diabetes, and dialysis,
Or have severe COPD or lung cancer, or whatever having an expectation of all medical care for life from the VA.
That say stuff like "my only insurance is the VA", or "I get all my care from the VA".

Is it urban vs rural, black vs white, north vs south, crushing life vs suck at life, male vs female,  ?
A lot of these people are old so it doesn't just seem young vs old.
Although young seem more prone for working the 100% lottery than old.

I'm not looking for argument or debate.

Just what you have seen or think.

It was very clear when I enlisted in the 80s that lifelong medical care for everything and anything for life was not part of the deal, but others assume it is.

When they stop giving lazy ass fuckers medicade and welfare then we can talk about what kind care and money our veterans deserve.

What you are seeing is a reduced veteran population with the same number of VA clinics open.

On top of caring for veterans they need people using these clinics to keep them open.

To do this veterans get increased care and benefits.

No veterans being treated, no clinics and VA employees losing their job.

If a clinic goes away it may not come back, next war might have tremendous casualties.

We need VA clinics to be in operation just in case.

People that don't like it, the military has jobs available. If the VA has issues we can always end welfare to keep them going.

Veterans earned their benefit's unlike immigrants and most welfare recipients.

If I had my way disabled combat vets wouldn't pay taxes or property tax.

AMEN!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoorKicker] [#22]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
To the extent that SS is a welfare program, so is lifetime health care for vets esp. those who served 4-5 years and never suffered a hangnail during their service.  That said, it's #87 on my list of things to be outraged about.  They took advantage of the plan that was offered.  They didn't steal anything.

However, I'd be super duper happy if every vet who uses the VA plan, and who complains about SS, would just STFU.  Some people paid into SS for 40-50 years, not 4-5 years.  They also used the plan as it was offered.  They also didn't steal anything.
View Quote

This is not a thing.  This is a lie.  To get medical benefits after you leave the service, you must either be retired or have a service related medical condition that you can prove is service related.

Everyone that claims to know a friend's brother's co-worker who knew a guy that had an uncle served in a missile silo for 2 years and is now receiving full medical and VA benefits is either lying or is not properly informed on the facts of the situation.  PERIOD
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I really can't tell if people in this thread or trolling or are serious.
Surely the "you're welcome" and "thanks for muh service" comments are tongue in cheek (but then I'm reminded of cops and firemen I know, and I wonder). Sometimes people on the right don't like government employees and paying taxes on what they perceive as government workers gaming the system.
If anyone gets injured or sick due to their job, then they should be taken care of. Whether the employer is Walmart or the federal government.

But ill put it into perspective from my point of view about the military and i know im not alone in my views.
Nobody is owed a thank you because of the job they took.  Nobody has "written a blank check up to and including their wife". I think people get into Echo Chambers and because they think it's great to be a veteran or a lineman, or a teacher, or a Tranny, etc. then those people believe everyone needs to have the same level of respect for that demographic as they do.
Other people don't. I don't know how the medical benefits works at the VA or what not, so I'll refrain from putting my lack of knowledge into the discussion. But if anyone is thinking people are supposed to thank them for working for the federal government then they got suckered.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By KnightStick:
If anyone gets injured or sick due to their job, then they should be taken care of. Whether the employer is Walmart or the federal government.  I don't know how the medical benefits works at the VA or what not, so I'll refrain from putting my lack of knowledge into the discussion. But if anyone is thinking people are supposed to thank them for working for the federal government then they got suckered.
View Quote

This thread needs more of this
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

1- not complaining about veterans receiving benefits
2- congrats- zero issues with your retirement check / tricare/ etc.
3- zero issues with your 100% legit disability pay
4- zero issues with your legit 100% disability VA medical care
5- I’m not crying.
6- I’ve lacked nothing

I’m not sure the actual question keeps getting avoided
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#26]

5- I’m not crying.
6- I’ve lacked nothing

View Quote

I said to all the people that were doing 1-6
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm sure it's been said 100 times already, but our vets earned that medical care for life when they put their lives on the line for our freedom.

It's pretty shitty for any American, especially those supposedly on the right to question veterans using the benefits they earned.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]

5- I’m not crying.
6- I’ve lacked nothing

View All Quotes

5- I’m not crying.
6- I’ve lacked nothing

The answer to thread thread title would be shortly after the civil war
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Seems like a legitimate question to spark conversation.

At what point should the taxpayers shoulder lifetime care for someone that served, and how did it get to the way it is now?
View Quote

Would you like it if your customers didn't abide by your contract and decided not to pay you for the work you did?

No, I don't think you would.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#30]

This is not a thing.  This is a lie.  To get medical benefits after you leave the service, you must either be retired or have a service related medical condition that you can prove is medically related.

Everyone that claims to know a friend's brother's co-worker who knew a guy that had an uncle served in a missile silo for 2 years and is now receiving full medical and VA benefits is either lying or is not properly informed on the facts of the situation.  PERIOD
View Quote

Here is the VA link:
https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/

Note this language taken from the VA web page:
Am I eligible for VA health care benefits?
You may be eligible for VA health care benefits if you served in the active military, naval, or air service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge.

If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981
You must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which you were called to active duty, unless any of the descriptions below are true for you.

It says you are eligible IF you served 24 continuous months.  The exception is if you were injured or if you served prior to 1980.  Feel free to read it on the link I provided.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate @DoorKicker?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoorKicker] [#31]
https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/
Note this language taken from the VA web page:
Am I eligible for VA health care benefits?
You may be eligible for VA health care benefits if you served in the active military, naval, or air service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge.

If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981
You must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which you were called to active duty, unless any of the descriptions below are true for you.

It says you are eligible IF you served 24 continuous months.  The exception is if you were injured or if you served prior to 1980.  Feel free to read it on the link I provided.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate @DoorKicker?
View Quote

"You may be eligible" But then again, you MAY NOT If everyone that served in the military was eligible for healthcare for life simply because they served, then why is there and entire industry of lawyers suing the VA to give their clients benefits?

The VA wants you to file for benefits. Even if they know you won't get them, it gives them something to do.  You provided the proof in your quote.  The word MAY has meaning
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#32]

"You may be eligible" But then again, you MAY NOT If everyone that served in the military was eligible for healthcare for life simply because they served, then why is there and entire industry of lawyers suing the VA to give their clients benefits?

The VA wants you to file for benefits. Even if they know you won't get them, it gives them something to do.  You provided the proof in your quote.  The word MAY has meaning
View Quote

I'm calling bullshit.

The word "may" has meaning, and is fully explained at the web site.  

Notable is the 24-month exception - you are exempt from it IF you suffered combat wounds etc.  IOW, if you deploy at 15 months and are wounded, you get the bennies WITHOUT having served for at least 24 months.

The official web site says what it says.  Read the web site.  It's not there to trick you.  I didn't invent the web site or the wording.  Some level of VA care is available after serving 24 continuous months.  For a 20-year-old, that could be for the next 60+ years.

I will be happy to concede your point if you can link specific wording supporting your position, but it has to be from the web site, and not your opinion of what it says.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:12:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#33]

View Quote

LOL it seems like monkeys bitch and moan , but it's amazing that these "benefits" people are so jealous of don't move the recruitment needle whatsoever as year after year every branch except USMC falls short. it's almost like for most people it's not worth it. Just game welfare like millions already do, no service required for that !

But all so often the same guys bitching are the same ones that want to send other people's kids to die for Taiwan Ukraine or Israel our greatest ally per capita isn't there less vets now than there ever have been? Deny disabled ones health care, yep that'll help recruitment numbers bigly
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:

LOL it seems like monkeys bitch and moan , but it's amazing that these "benefits" people are so jealous of don't move the recruitment needle whatsoever as year after year every branch except USMC falls short. it's almost like for most people it's not worth it. Just game welfare like millions already do, no service required for that !

But all so often the same guys bitching are the same ones that want to send other people's kids to die for Taiwan Ukraine or Israel our greatest ally per capita isn't there less vets now than there ever have been? Deny disabled ones health care, yep that'll help recruitment numbers bigly
View Quote

Nobody wants to deny service-related disabled vets health care.  It's the least we can do.

But serving a few years and getting lifetime care isn't sustainable.  I posted the VA link above.

Jeebus, even SS requires 10 years (40 quarters) of participation to get minimal SS payments, IIRC.  That's why I'll never get a single penny; I only have about 20 quarters.  The money I did pay in is captured, and I ain't never getting it back.  Eh, I can live with that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Nobody wants to deny service-related disabled vets health care.  It's the least we can do.

But serving a few years and getting lifetime care isn't sustainable.  I posted the VA link above.

Jeebus, even SS requires 10 years (40 quarters) of participation to get minimal SS payments, IIRC.  That's why I'll never get a single penny; I only have about 20 quarters.  The money I did pay in is captured, and I ain't never getting it back.  Eh, I can live with that.
View Quote

The only requirements should be service and injured while serving.

Only a comfortable couch commando doesn't realize the danger there is in even the basic levels of military training and work. You can die or be injured just doing regular daily duties.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#36]

The only requirements should be service and injured while serving.

Only a comfortable couch commando doesn't realize the danger there is in even the basic levels of military training and work. You can die or be injured just doing regular daily duties.
View Quote

Service, but for how long?  Currently it's 24 months.  That is unsustainable.

Injured, no question about it.  But again, how do we define "injured"?  A broken leg?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#37]

These people are not getting VA or tricare unless they are majorly scamming the system.  If they were not scamming the VA, they would just be scamming SS.  Either way, they would be scamming the system.

You must be retired to continue Tricare, and you must have documented service connected injury or illness to get VA
View All Quotes

I’m not sure how to be more clear.
That’s not what I’m talking about.

I’m talking about-
Snuffy got drafted and spent two years in Germany with no injuries,
Smelly pants did nine months before being discharged for shin splints and adjustment disorder,
Or mediocre gal did three years in the PAC shop,
Or schmedlap was on a three year enlistment, gets a general discharge halfway through on a piss test,

And are expecting lifetime primary care, coverage when they get in a car accident, prenatal and OB care, etc.  five years later, have heart failure and dialysis from a ton of cocaine use 15 years later, etc.
Coverage for their beetus  and morbid obesity 30 years later, etc.

for how hard it is to get VA benefits comp, easier to scam SS
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Alembic:
Don't think this went the way OP wanted it to.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Service, but for how long?  Currently it's 24 months.  That is unsustainable.

Injured, no question about it.  But again, how do we define "injured"?  A broken leg?
View Quote

From the VA site you provided:

You must have served 24 continuous months OR the full period for which you were called to active duty, UNLESS any of the descriptions below are true for you.

This minimum duty requirement MAY NOT apply if any of these are true:

You were discharged for a disability that was caused—or made worse—by your active-duty service, or
You were discharged for a hardship or “early out,” or
You served prior to September 7, 1980
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:
You should ask the poster here that thinks the VA should cover his potential cancer treatment from smoking while in the service, that he picked up while in the service.
View Quote

Caffeine, nicotine and hatred is basically the life blood of the military.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#41]

From the VA site you provided:

You must have served 24 continuous months OR the full period for which you were called to active duty, UNLESS any of the descriptions below are true for you.

This minimum duty requirement MAY NOT apply if any of these are true:

You were discharged for a disability that was caused—or made worse—by your active-duty service, or
You were discharged for a hardship or “early out,” or
You served prior to September 7, 1980
View Quote

Correct.  The first exemption makes it EASIER to apply for bennies, not harder.

The second exemption means you don't get the VA bennies for leaving earlier than 24 months.  And why should it?

The third exemption is for very old vets (pre-1980), of which there are very few left and getting fewer by the day.

Otherwise, 24 months get you into the VA system, which is the vast majority of vets.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#42]

The second exemption means you don't get the VA bennies for leaving earlier than 24 months.  And why should it?

The third exemption is for very old vets (pre-1980), of which there are very few left and getting fewer by the day.

Otherwise, 24 months get you into the VA system, which is the vast majority of vets.
View Quote

Wrong. The three exemptions are EXEMPTIONS to the 24 months requirement.

The third exemption exists because the military records were nearly wiped-out in a massive fire.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:00:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#43]

Wrong. The three exemptions are EXEMPTIONS to the 24 months requirement.

The third exemption exists because the military records were nearly wiped-out in a massive fire.
View Quote

Exemptions work boths ways - to make it easier for service-related injuries to get bennies BEFORE the 24 months is up, and to make it harder to get bennies for early-out.

For the vast number of vets, they serve 24 months and they are IN.

Note the words MINIMUM DUTY REQUIREMENT preceeding the exemptions.  Those words have meaning.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I work with a ton of veterans. Almost all (98%) have VA disability (rated from 10% up to 100%). I don’t work with anyone that’s retired from the military as they’re aged out by the time they retire from the military to be employed where I’m at. I don’t truly know who is legit in receiving disability, but I do know the game is played at a damn near professional level, as it’s a frequent topic of discussion.  Don’t kid yourselves, we all know what the game is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:04:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#45]

Exemptions work boths ways - to make it easier for service-related injuries to get bennies BEFORE the 24 months is up, and to make it harder to get bennies for early-out.

Note the words MINIMUM DUTY REQUIREMENT preceeding the exemptions.  Those words have meaning.
View All Quotes

Yep. Reading is definitely for suckers.

"You must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which you were called to active duty, UNLESS ANY OF THE DESCRIPTIONS BELOW ARE TRUE FOR YOU.

This minimum duty requirement may not apply if any of these are true:"

Originally Posted By ScrapMetal762:
I work with a ton of veterans. Almost all (98%) have VA disability (rated from 10% up to 100%). I don’t work with anyone that’s retired from the military as they’re aged out by the time they retire from the military to be employed where I’m at. I don’t truly know who is legit in receiving disability, but I do know the game is played at a damn near professional level, as it’s a frequent topic of discussion.  Don’t kid yourselves, we all know what the game is.

Most Vets have no clue how the VA or VA disability works, either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#46]

"You must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which you were called to active duty, UNLESS ANY OF THE DESCRIPTIONS BELOW ARE TRUE FOR YOU.

View Quote

We agree.

If you are injured on duty, you are exempt from the 24 months requirement.  IOW you get the bennies even if you aren't in for 24 months.  As it should be.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#47]

Most Vets have no clue how the VA or VA disability works, either.
View Quote

The system isn't there to trick vets.

BTW why did it take 9 pgs. to actually post a link to the official VA web page?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:10:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#48]

We agree.

If you are injured on duty, you are exempt from the 24 months requirement.  IOW you get the bennies even if you aren't in for 24 months.  As it should be.
View All Quotes

We agree.

That's not how I read your earlier quote.

That second exemption literally says you qualify for VA care if you were discharged early as a result of a medical condition.

The system isn't there to trick vets.

Who said it was?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#49]

That's now how I read your earlier quote.

That second exemption literally says you qualify for VA care if you were discharged early as a result of a medical condition.

Who said it was?
View Quote

IDGAF how you read it, it says what it says.

However, if you had an early out/hardship, and you are in less than 24 months, does that mean you still get the bennies?  What qualifies as early out/hardship?  If true, it's even easier to get the bennies than I thought, and it's even less sustainable than I imagined.  Which is a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By pdm:

Well….that's great. In my case I had a year as an 11 and then 20 as an 18 in SOF, both traditional SF and another unit. I was an Assaulter for 11 years as well as a breacher. I've been exposed hundreds of close proximity explosive blast waves, within a few feet, and been knocked unconscious multiple times by them. Got so close that I'd cough blood. Flash bangs out the wazoo. I've shot 100's of thousands of rounds from 10.5" bbls, most of them right next to dudes.   Weapons fired would include just about every infantry weapon in the inventory including AT and mortars and lots of them….also tons of Warsaw pact weapons. I have 600+ jumps….200 static and 400 MFF….and so on…you would think that the VA would have a deep understanding of what this type of job entails, wouldn't you? Well they don't or at least they won't admit it.  

BTW, none of the injuries associated with the above were documented other than at the team level.

The premise that if it's not documented it don't happen is absolute bullshit. There have been plenty of studies done on Operator mentality. You're asking men to go do things that there's a high degree of likelihood they'll get fucked up on or not come back from but you're also expecting them to run to sick call?  What fucking planet is the VA on?  Does this nation want meat eaters that gladly go in harm's way to do bad things to evil people or do they want snivelers that go to sick call when they stub their toe?  You can't have both.

Now you look at pro sports….3 or 4 concussions are considered significant with a high degree of likelihood of CTE (TBI). The average assaulter gets 3 or 4 a fucking day…for years and years but the VA doesn't care what medical science says. They find every excuse they can to deny medical care for injuries that are so fucking obvious that only an agency with criminal malice would ignore them.  

In my case it took a Congressional investigation to get my TBI diagnosis resolved. They hid paperwork, "lost" exams and slow rolled and obfuscated for years…and lied about it. They got caught but you know what? No one, and I mean no one, was held accountable. Just business as usual at the VA….slow roll and hope the Vet kills himself. Mine wasn't about money either. I was already at 100% from other injuries. I wanted the TBI noted so that I have access to emerging treatments to combat the dementia that most certainly is coming.

So I had some fun with them, especially when they "lost" an exam. The dude on the phone said there was nothing he could do, sorry. Well I explained that then this was no longer about my disability. This was now about loss of my HIPPA act information. Once I said that there was a pause and then I was told that he's have to get back to me. Magically they found it a few weeks later but then told me it couldn't be used for some reason….anyways that led to Congress.

So you're right the VA doesn't give a fuck. Knowing that SOCOM told the VA fuck you and formed Care Coalition. I spoke to Uncle Bill about that years ago, thanking him for what he did for the command and his response was that Care Coalition was perhaps the proudest accomplishemnt he had while being CDR…he was right.

edit: I almost forgot. Disability benefits aren't approved or denied through the VA. These are handled by the VBA and guess what?  There is no Patient Advocacy or IG in the VBA. None. No accountability though normal channels. Even when my situation was resolved by my Congressman there was no accounatbility.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pdm:
Originally Posted By Stan08:

My wife and I are both veterans and she works on the VA campus.  Do you know how many broken vets show up complaining about pain but say, “I never went to sick call because I wasn’t a wimp etc…”

Then they get nothing.  “Not service connected.”

Can’t prove it, can’t pay you.

Well….that's great. In my case I had a year as an 11 and then 20 as an 18 in SOF, both traditional SF and another unit. I was an Assaulter for 11 years as well as a breacher. I've been exposed hundreds of close proximity explosive blast waves, within a few feet, and been knocked unconscious multiple times by them. Got so close that I'd cough blood. Flash bangs out the wazoo. I've shot 100's of thousands of rounds from 10.5" bbls, most of them right next to dudes.   Weapons fired would include just about every infantry weapon in the inventory including AT and mortars and lots of them….also tons of Warsaw pact weapons. I have 600+ jumps….200 static and 400 MFF….and so on…you would think that the VA would have a deep understanding of what this type of job entails, wouldn't you? Well they don't or at least they won't admit it.  

BTW, none of the injuries associated with the above were documented other than at the team level.

The premise that if it's not documented it don't happen is absolute bullshit. There have been plenty of studies done on Operator mentality. You're asking men to go do things that there's a high degree of likelihood they'll get fucked up on or not come back from but you're also expecting them to run to sick call?  What fucking planet is the VA on?  Does this nation want meat eaters that gladly go in harm's way to do bad things to evil people or do they want snivelers that go to sick call when they stub their toe?  You can't have both.

Now you look at pro sports….3 or 4 concussions are considered significant with a high degree of likelihood of CTE (TBI). The average assaulter gets 3 or 4 a fucking day…for years and years but the VA doesn't care what medical science says. They find every excuse they can to deny medical care for injuries that are so fucking obvious that only an agency with criminal malice would ignore them.  

In my case it took a Congressional investigation to get my TBI diagnosis resolved. They hid paperwork, "lost" exams and slow rolled and obfuscated for years…and lied about it. They got caught but you know what? No one, and I mean no one, was held accountable. Just business as usual at the VA….slow roll and hope the Vet kills himself. Mine wasn't about money either. I was already at 100% from other injuries. I wanted the TBI noted so that I have access to emerging treatments to combat the dementia that most certainly is coming.

So I had some fun with them, especially when they "lost" an exam. The dude on the phone said there was nothing he could do, sorry. Well I explained that then this was no longer about my disability. This was now about loss of my HIPPA act information. Once I said that there was a pause and then I was told that he's have to get back to me. Magically they found it a few weeks later but then told me it couldn't be used for some reason….anyways that led to Congress.

So you're right the VA doesn't give a fuck. Knowing that SOCOM told the VA fuck you and formed Care Coalition. I spoke to Uncle Bill about that years ago, thanking him for what he did for the command and his response was that Care Coalition was perhaps the proudest accomplishemnt he had while being CDR…he was right.

edit: I almost forgot. Disability benefits aren't approved or denied through the VA. These are handled by the VBA and guess what?  There is no Patient Advocacy or IG in the VBA. None. No accountability though normal channels. Even when my situation was resolved by my Congressman there was no accounatbility.

It sounds like you've had a hell of a career which you should be proud of.  The "coolness" factor, though cool, is irrelevant to the scope of your situation.  Many veterans are in your same position.  The requirement of documentation should not be a surprise to you, it works both ways to prevent veterans from making false claims.  I know no one else's case but mine; my hospitalizations and surgeries were documented by default and I remember  from my first TAP class to keep a copy of your medical jacket.  You probably, easily have three injuries that when combined would give you a 100% disability rating and each one of the injuries would have taken an hour to document (not treat) in your medical jacket.  Even if it each one took one day, it would still be worth three days to be compensated for your service and sacrifice for the rest of your life.  

Service members out there, if you're injured go seek medical attention, have it documented, get your pills and get back to business.  Repeat as necessary.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top