BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By n20junkie:
Man (modern churches) killed off interest in religion. The double standards, greed, sexual abuses, and a long list of unsavory things ruined it.

If I want to talk to God, I’ll do so in my own way. Man wrote every religious text we have, and it wasn’t via some divine interaction. It was a bunch of men, during a seemingly singular point in human evolution/history when a few discovered humans are easily controlled via fear of a singular God.
View Quote

Early. Christians weren't controlling anything or anyone. That's the lamest Atheist talking point out of all them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FMJshooter:

Early. Christians weren't controlling anything or anyone. That's the lamest Atheist talking point out of all them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By n20junkie:
Man (modern churches) killed off interest in religion. The double standards, greed, sexual abuses, and a long list of unsavory things ruined it.

If I want to talk to God, I’ll do so in my own way. Man wrote every religious text we have, and it wasn’t via some divine interaction. It was a bunch of men, during a seemingly singular point in human evolution/history when a few discovered humans are easily controlled via fear of a singular God.

They were getting crucified upside-down, fed to wild animals and used as street lamps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

Funny that the pagan Romans had laws against murder and theft. It’s almost as if reasonable society always comes to the same conclusions.
View Quote

Lol @ Rome being a reasonable society.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I say this as a Bible reading, baptised Christian....the church has turned into a circus.  I like our pastor, but this "praise and worship" garbage is the biggest scourge that I could imagine.  30 minutes of effeminate men swaying back and forth and repeating the same 3 chords.  It's not for men....I don't even like it, and I'm only 40.  If I hadn't been raised in it, nothing would bring me to the modern church.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
There's plenty of it going on here. Shouldn't be a surprise.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Nordic-Paganism/5-2720067/
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#6]
Originally Posted By crux:
For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth
View Quote

This, 100%.

Also, our country and its freedoms cannot exist without god, abandoning religion / Christianity, won’t result in “ good people “, or a wise, stable society, that flourishes without Christianity holding the down, because people will simply worship government, false gods, be spiritual and worship random things like nature, they will go their own way, and it won’t be to good places.

Morality will be whatever government says it is, and it won’t be good, it’s going to be horrific, the current corrupt gov destroying America, out of control deviency like the transgender shit, rampant pedophillia attempting to become mainstream, abortion exploding, family / marriage collapsing due to rampant narcissistic behavior and much, much worse.

Honestly, everyone can see the country / society degrading before their eyes, and at the same time, not coincidentally, the falling away from god and Christianity , and its guiding influence is 100% connected, and the Bible clearly says what’s coming next.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By xd675:

The churches are to blame.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 18B30:
God is dead.

(Christian) churches haven't changed since the council of Nicea.

What has changed is the amount of information readily available for review.

Expose a Gen Z'er to the gospels, then the rest of the NT, then three or four protestant sermons (because like movie plots, there are only about 4 basic sermons) then an hour on google.  They'll leave convinced that that Jesus was the greatest man who ever walked the earth and Christians are 100% full of shit.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

By CE 450 Christianity was established as THE religion of choice for monarchies and it wouldn't take long for christian monarchies to dominate the western world.  By 1600 the western world included the Americas and Christians had virtually wiped out non-christian cultures.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By amos1909:
I believe that Dads are to blame, they are no longer being the true head of the family in the way that God has mandate that they should be.
View All Quotes

I believe that Dads are to blame, they are no longer being the true head of the family in the way that God has mandate that they should be.

Both.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Primetime_1:
I don't even like it, and I'm only 40.  If I hadn't been raised in it, nothing would bring me to the modern church.
View Quote

This man gets it.  

I'd guess a solid 75% of Christians only self-identify as such because it's the social norm, not because they truly believe it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#11]
Originally Posted By jwr6:

By CE 450 Christianity was established as THE religion of choice for monarchies and it wouldn't take long for christian monarchies to dominate the western world.  By 1600 the western world included the Americas and Christians had virtually wiped out non-christian cultures.
View Quote

CE is not a real thing,.if you're going to use our calendar use it but you don't get to claim it as your own.

Ah, so the plan was to hang in there for 450 years of suffering so some random future generation can finally control people. That sounds plausible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

Both.
View Quote
I agree but men have ceased being leaders in the home and church.  

I long for men to lead in the church that I pastor but most today leave it up to the few.  I refuse to put women in leadership over men so I use the willing men to much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Some people REALLY love their circular arguments.
We must have christian morality teaching because without it we wouldn't have christian morality.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Doing my part to reverse the trend
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
Your's I presume is based on a book. Do you consider the possibility the book may be incorrect or incomplete? I consider that a written text that has been edited over many years and changed languages many times has the possibility to contain errors or inaccuracies. I look to other sources for a moral code if one exists in a rigid form.
View Quote

Sounds like you just make yours up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ToxicMasculinity:

Being a decent person and living a life of virtue doesn't require a specific cult.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jollyg83:

Username checks out.  Stop being toxic and contributing to our decline.

Being a decent person and living a life of virtue doesn't require a specific cult.

It requires beilving in the truth.

Heathenism and paganism are false.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#17]
narrow is the path that leads to righteousness
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:02:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#18]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

A decade of sheltering pedos didn’t help their case.

Just saying.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

A decade of sheltering pedos didn’t help their case.

Just saying.

We've been complaining at the romish church about that kind of stuff since minimally the time of the lollards. (iirc 500+ years?)
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Watching you and I and everyone else and biding his time till he comes back and gives you and me and everyone else exactly what they deserve and not one bit more or less.

Unless you realize you aren't god, and have done evil, and you can't make up for what youv'e done, and believe that Christ died in your place, for your wrongs that you did and that you can't make up for.

God never said fools can't mock now.

Just that fools will get what they deserve.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Logic and reason are pretty good weapons.

As an agnostic (totally non religious) I probably agree with you on 95% of social issues.
View All Quotes
Pitiful! Only true Weapon to fight wickedness in this would. I try to read through It at least 4 times a year. Currently I am reading through Reese's Chronological Bible.  It is eye-opening to read the Bible in the historical time frame, I love it.

My household loves the Word of God.  We read through it each year, My four kids ages 6-17 read some daily,  I ask each of the older three to read through the Bible each year, we talk about it often.  My youngest, reads about half a chapter a day, which I believe is pretty good for a 6 year old but he is a great reader.

Half of the adults in my congregation are trying to read through the Word this year.  We talk about it during announcement time each Sunday.

I apologize for any misspelling or improper grammar, I am still feeling pretty bad from my infection.

Logic and reason are pretty good weapons.

As an agnostic (totally non religious) I probably agree with you on 95% of social issues.
Logic and reason can't make any truth known as truth. Including telling you what's false.

All that logic can do is show that someone did or did not use logic correctly.

It can't tell you if their starting premises are true or false, nor if their conclusions are true or false.

You need a coherent source of truth to string that bow and use it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

Yea, because biblical ethics had nothing to do with how this country was originally formed,

In the time it was considered the greatest.

View All Quotes
Good riddance

Yea, because biblical ethics had nothing to do with how this country was originally formed,

When this country was formed slavery was legal. Hard to say that was the greatest point of the USA's existence. Even if you believe in god I am not sure why you think legal slavery was somehow excusable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess the this fact and the fact that the country is going to shit is just coincidence?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

When this country was formed slavery was legal. Hard to say that was the greatest point of the USA's existence. Even if you believe in god I am not sure why you think legal slavery was somehow excusable.
View All Quotes
Good riddance

That's a pretty wild leap not justified by what he posted at all.

Seems you're doing nothing but assuming for him and than going at your assumption.

Maybe ask the man if he included that too before setting up a possible strawman and lighting it off?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Slavery is a human institution.  Still plenty of it today, classical and neo economic, religious and antireligious societies

Christian philosophy was a massive force behind abolishing slavery in the west.  Ideas about all being created in the image of God, and following the commandments of Jesus.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Explains the sad state of the world we're in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
God is dead.
View Quote

I disagree
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By leib109:

Sounds like you just make yours up.
View Quote
If we want to get arguemnetative then yea I "made them up". I guess I'd ask how you know the stories in The Bible aren't also made up.

I don't need a New Testament to know that some of Moses' doings were wrong. Female child sex slaves are always wrong. Slavery is always wrong. I don't care if Jesus "fulfilled" the law, whatever fulfilled means. I'll take my made up morals over a book. Btw if you were born in Saudia Arabia, the book you'd be following would be a different book than you currently profess as the truth. My "made up" morality isn't dependent upon time or location of birth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
Logic and reason can't make any truth known as truth. Including telling you what's false.

It can't tell you if their starting premises are true or false, nor if their conclusions are true or false.

View Quote
Yea fuck the scientific method it never helped people. I don't have to convince you a book on physics is true, I can demonstrate it. Burn all the physics books and people will rediscover physics. Can the same be said about religious texts?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:19:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#29]
Yea       the scientific method it never helped people. I don't have to convince you a book on physics is true, I can demonstrate it. Burn all the physics books and people will rediscover physics. Can the same be said about religious texts?
View All Quotes

Yea       the scientific method it never helped people. I don't have to convince you a book on physics is true, I can demonstrate it. Burn all the physics books and people will rediscover physics. Can the same be said about religious texts?

I beleive we have done things that have helped people.

I just don't believe you can know something is true because of the scientific process - because I know the process well enough to understand that it fails at the bar of "how do you know."

I don't believe things on the basis of irrational claims. You shouldn't either.

I do not beleive we should burn physics books and stop practicing science or the scientific process.  I just won't accept that those processes can reveal truth, because they can't. We muddle along and try to do the best we can.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh no!  Who will lose elections for Republicans in the next generation?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#31]
On a serious note. Just be a good person.  If there is a god and it is a good god you'll be alright.  If not worshiping or believing puts you at odds with God then heaven probably isn't fun.  You'll find me banging rails and hoes down in party town bellow rather than sweeping the streets for Kim Jong god
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
On a serious note. Just be a good person.  If there is a god and it is a good god you'll be alright....
View Quote
God's goodness is not defined by whether or not he will accept people as they are without caring one bit about what they've done or not done.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#33]

I just don't believe you can know something is true because of the scientific process - because I know the process well enough to understand that it fails at the bar of "how do you know."

I do not beleive we should burn physics books and stop practicing science or the scientific process.  I just won't accept that those processes can reveal truth, because they can't. We muddle along and try to do the best we can.
View Quote
It's essentially a way to test observations. It's been co-opted by shitty scientists and leftists but it isn't a bad idea when used correctly. In the real world I'd support your religious views 100% even if I thought you were wrong. On a forum where we want to put our beliefs on the line for discussion I'll fight. The concept of "truth" isn't maybe as concrete as you think it is. It's easy to say "square hole" but it doesn't make sense to us. I think the absolute "truth" you talk about may or may not be actually real or comprehensible by us.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:40:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#34]
It's essentially a way to test observations. It's been co-opted by shitty scientists and leftists but it isn't a bad idea when used correctly. In the real world I'd support your religious views 100% even if I thought you were wrong. On a forum where we want to put our beliefs on the line for discussion I'll fight. The concept of "truth" isn't maybe as concrete as you think it is. It's easy to say "square hole" but it doesn't make sense to us. I think the absolute "truth" you talk about may or may not be actually real or comprehensible by us.
View All Quotes

The skeptics trap eats everyone who tries to use it.

When you disown absolute truth, you're making an absolute truth claim. Even if you say "I don't know" you're making an absolute truth claim about what you believe.

None of us can get away from it.

We see every day how the more radical leftists act wild and say insane things ... because they are trying to reject the idea of truth.

Queer theory is exactly the idea of trying to reject the very idea of there being a "normal"  for ... well ... anything.  We see the fruit of that rejection of truth. Ironically, they're saying that is normal that there's no normal.

So we are stuck: you have to find the truth, and chase after it. Or slowly go insane, a bit at a time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:49:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#35]

When you disown absolute truth, you're making an absolute truth claim. Even if you say "I don't know" you're making an absolute truth claim about what you believe.

We see every day how the more radical leftists act wild and say insane things ... because they are trying to reject the idea of truth.

Queer theory is exactly the idea of trying to reject the very idea of there being a "normal"  for ... well ... anything.  We see the fruit of that rejection of truth. Ironically, they're saying that is normal that there's no normal.

So we are stuck: you have to find the truth, and chase after it. Or slowly go insane, a bit at a time.
View Quote
With regards to the discussion of absolutes and religion, do you suppose it is possible you are wrong? I accept I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#36]
With regards to the discussion of absolutes and religion, do you suppose it is possible you are wrong? I accept I could be wrong.
View All Quotes

Possible I could be wrong?

You and I aren't God. We can never exhaustively prove anything.

I try and base what I believe on what I find coherent and believe to be true. I find I just refuse to believe something when someone gives me an incoherent answer to "how do you know."  There are many layers outside of that.

At base, I beleive but cannot prove that the bible is God's word and all that it affirms as being true is truth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:54:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlamTX] [#37]
Wtf god is real

Find  you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:59:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlamTX] [#38]
The lord shall have your soul.

Now find a place to kiss my rear end

Amen  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#39]

I try and base what I believe on what I find coherent and believe to be true. I find I just refuse to believe something when someone gives me an incoherent answer to "how do you know."  There are many layers outside of that.

At base, I beleive but cannot prove that the bible is God's word and all that it affirms as being true is truth.
View Quote
I find the ability to admit one is not infallible is the first step to finding real truth. Infallibility to me is a sign of someone who makes declarations. That's all I'll say about that. Perhaps I'll roast in a stone coffin like Dante describes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I find the ability to admit one is not infallible is the first step to finding real truth. Infallibility to me is a sign of someone who makes declarations. That's all I'll say about that. Perhaps I'll roast in a stone coffin like Dante describes.
View All Quotes

God knows you and I can't make up for our lives and is willing to accept us if we believe Christ died for what we did.

You don't have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Good riddance
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#42]

God knows you and I can't make up for our lives and is willing to accept us if we believe Christ died for what we did.

You don't have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps.
View Quote
I'd like to know beyond a book about my salvation. All the pretty churches, songs of choirs, and countless post biblical writings are all doings of man. I'd like something from God directly. My own wistful thinking is insufficient.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:17:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Isenhelm] [#43]
For the sake of civilization, this nation, it is not so much the issue of Christianity dying off, it is that it is not being replaced or evolving to anything similar, equal or greater.

This is not a nation of thoughtful, disciplined, philosophers who dropped a particular religion in search of any truth at all, this is simply the removal of the main source of any such teaching and the indulgence brought by subversive and devolving into irrational silf indulgent feels and other destructive nonsense that weakens.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I say this as a Bible reading, baptised Christian....the church has turned into a circus.  I like our pastor, but this "praise and worship" garbage is the biggest scourge that I could imagine.  30 minutes of effeminate men swaying back and forth and repeating the same 3 chords.  It's not for men....I don't even like it, and I'm only 40.  If I hadn't been raised in it, nothing would bring me to the modern church.
View Quote

Find a catholic and apostolic church, that performs actual dignified worship of our Lord Savior through sacred sacraments and NOT just some incoherent and many times heretical Sunday Bible studies with accompanying pop music.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:46:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Mauser556:

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

"I am an orphan, alone ; nevertheless I am found everywhere. I am one, but opposed to myself. I am youth and old man at one and the same time. I have known neither father nor mother, because I have had to be fetched out of the deep like a fish, or fell like a white stone from heaven. In woods and mountains I roam, but I am hidden in the innermost soul of man. I am mortal for everyone, yet I am not touched by the cycle of aeons."

--Carl G. Jung
View Quote

I like the Jung quote much more. Though he seems to attribute them to alchemy?

"On the third face, the one facing the lake, I let the stone itself speak, as it were, in a Latin inscription.

These sayings are more or less quotations from alchemy.

This is the translation:"
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:52:15 AM EDT
[#46]
It was viewed as wrong by most the world then and it is viewed as wrong by most the world now.

ETA: I don't need to believe there is triumvirate god, who went into the desert for 40 days, was nailed to a cross and on rose from the dead, and made the world in not 6 nor 8 but 7 days to know that "gassing the Jews" is not a good thing.
View Quote

Then why is it not a good thing?
Where does this good arise and become defined? Because society works better that way? How did humans come to order and build society?

It's easy to be reductionist and dismiss a thing, can you see it's depth and value?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#47]
As a Jew that went to Baptist private school.... ( I am still Jewish and go to an orthodox synogogue weekly and then some, but I had a pretty good experience at Baptist private school)

As many churches become more and more accomodating of change....the reasons to go to church become less and less.

What the fuck does the church offer if it says "do whatever, we support you." It makes no sense....and the results show that.

If we are not challenged, we never grow.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:06:20 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

I am not sure what church you go to but mine is basically in the same format as it was when i was a very young child with only a very few words changed. The hymns are roughly based on the psalms. Beyond those it's mostly prayer, Bible readings, talking about those Bible passages and communion. Definitely not 30 minutes of 3 chords or effeminate men swaying.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I blame it on the commies.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

And yet here you are espousing both virtue and decency, while reflecting neither.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top