Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Progressives hate capitalism, which means they hate profits, so this makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kharn:
All they had to do was shoot Knights of the Old Republic and Thrawn films, make more toys in China, design some Legos, and cash in. The game and books were begging to be written into scripts.

Kharn
View Quote

Ayup, but then they'd have to credit icky male writers Anderson and Zayn. Ewweew!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
"Go fuck yourself" - Elon Musk to Bob Iger

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Good, fuck Disney. They deserve this for ruining the franchise with their woke BS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#5]
They might have actually had positive net present value on that investment before The Force Awakens got greenlit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0DOqWX6Yo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gator:

It really takes special kind of idiots to take a damn guaranteed money making machine and lose an obscene amount of money with it.

If there is any kind of karma Disney will go under for fixing the 2024 board vote.

Didn't they also do some incredibly stupid shit, besides making Indiana Jones out to be a loser in his late years murdering the character, and killing off his son so a girl boss can take over the franchise?

Dunno, I doubt I'll ever watch Dial of Dysentery.

Another franchise sacrificed on the altar of wokeness.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Didn't they also do some incredibly stupid shit, besides making Indiana Jones out to be a loser in his late years murdering the character, and killing off his son so a girl boss can take over the franchise?

View Quote

I fell asleep 1/2 way into the movie but the film lost $300 million dollars after production costs
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Disney needs to go broke and fade away .

Dumocrats will probably find a way to bail them out with tax payer funds and Johnson and the rinos will rubber stamp it .

Hell....... it's probably in the defense procurement bill already .
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#9]
All they had to do was shoot Knights of the Old Republic and Thrawn films, make more toys in China, design some Legos, and cash in. The game and books were begging to be written into scripts.

Kharn
View Quote

Holy shit this. I loved that game when it came out. I still play it through every once in a while. 2 kinda sucked, still pissed they never made a KOTOR 3.
But nope. Push the girl power gay power agenda at all cost.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder how much they're losing on Marvel?

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
I wonder how much they're losing on Marvel?

View Quote

They should put out another Brie Larson movie just to make sure
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]

5 November, 2018
CNET -

"Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm six years ago apparently was a galactically good investment, it turns out.

The $4.05 billion deal was announced in 2012. Disney has made over $4.8 billion from the four Star Wars films released since then, and that's not counting licensing and merchandise deals, CNBC reports."

Stop! My sides!

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Stokes:
This isn't Barstool.  It's not like Disney is going to give it back to George.  They have plenty of time (like, forever) to make their money.

Of course, it'll be difficult to do if they continue to tell people they're terrible for not loving how Disney has destroyed their childhood.
View Quote

They have all that time to lose money, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
FDW
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Get woke go broke. They killed a cash cow for woke bullshit
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Doomcock was right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Kharn
View Quote

I remember a video interview of a Disney exec from around the time the acquisition was closing, talking about how so much of the EU content wasn't wholly owned by Lucas films, and therefore wasn't coming along with the acquisition.

Disney didn't want to deal with the nightmare of paying / crediting the user generated content creators, so they deemed a whole chunk of the universe non cannon, with the idea of writing their way into those storylines once things were locked in for a few years.

Ultimately, that did not work out the way they thought it would.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

Disney just sells the licenses, Lego meanwhile is making BILLIONS of dollars because of the Star Wars franchise being revived. And anyone who's been collecting Lego Star Wars for years now has seen their collection skyrocket in value better than most stocks.

https://fortune.com/europe/2024/04/15/lego-kids-toys-industry-adult-kidult-lucrative-danish-company-sales/
View Quote

There are still a ton of people who love Star Wars. But they follow the original Star Wars, not the Disney woke trash.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:22:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snozberry] [#19]
Originally Posted By Kihn:
Consequences of Woke.
View Quote

Doesnt matter.

Once blackrock and their proxies are a component part of your corporate ownership,  your company is a loss leader for the dei message. Youve been bought and paid for and you are no longer expected to make a profit so long as you can pump social propaganda.

This is our sides biggest belief fallacy-- that these companies will see the losses and return to sanity. No. They are zombie corpses. Consider them dead, because profits are no longer their goal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:

I remember a video interview of a Disney exec from around the time the acquisition was closing, talking about how so much of the EU content wasn't wholly owned by Lucas films, and therefore wasn't coming along with the acquisition.

Disney didn't want to deal with the nightmare of paying / crediting the user generated content creators, so they deemed a whole chunk of the universe non cannon, with the idea of writing their way into those storylines once things were locked in for a few years.

View Quote

They didn't even try.  VII, VIII and IX were just IV, V and VI all over again, but shittier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Indrid-Cold] [#21]
Star Wars was literally a Golden Goose
capable of shitting an endless supply of
golden eggs till Disney got hold of it.

If the Star Wars franchise was planet
Alderaan, then Disney was the Death Star
with Grand Moff Kathleen Kennedy at the helm.
She not only killed the Golden Goose but also
set it on fire.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#22]

I don’t see them recovering that money anytime soon after tanking their one success Mandalorian in season 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUrU1tE0Ucs
View All Quotes
This isn't Barstool.  It's not like Disney is going to give it back to George.  They have plenty of time (like, forever) to make their money.

Of course, it'll be difficult to do if they continue to tell people they're terrible for not loving how Disney has destroyed their childhood.

I don’t see them recovering that money anytime soon after tanking their one success Mandalorian in season 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUrU1tE0Ucs

And they think ANOTHER Rey movie is going to appeal to the crowds
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Kharn
View Quote

This in bold.. So much this in bold.  The already canon 3rd party took care of SO many good movies for them.. they didn't need to rewrite everything... ANYTHING.. just turn it to a screenplay and watch the free checks come in.

Just imagine if they had filmed the Thrawn book trilogy series.  Or the Rouge One books. Etc, etc... Instead they threw it all away, along with their fan base.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:
According to the reports Disney paid 4 Billion for the franchise. It then spent 2.1 billion (6.1 total) to have a total earnings, not profit just the total receipts, of 2.8 Billion.

Talk about shitting the bed.
View Quote

Amber Heard is going to be in the next Star War movie?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

It really takes special kind of idiots to take a damn guaranteed money making machine and lose an obscene amount of money with it.

If there is any kind of karma Disney will go under for fixing the 2024 board vote.

The female costar, Phoebe Waller-Bridges actually caught lightning in a bottle with Fleabag. It took a mouthy feminist/woke character and acknowledged that she was a miserable trainwreck, but made it funny as she was repeatedly hoist by her own petard, and eventually sympathetic as she came to terms with her responsibility for being a lonely loser who'd driven everyone away from her.
It was quite good.
But other than that, nothing she's been involved in as an actor or a writer has been good at all, and while she was Fleabag, she can't act like another character. By all indications she's a one trick pony.
Betting hundreds of millions on her to carry an action franchise forward was profoundly tarded.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Fox business is running a segment right now and naming companies like Disney and Google and JP Morgan and ambev and other others who have decided to dial it back in the woke department.

I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Kharn
View Quote
This... I'd add in the Jedi Academy trilogy as well. Kip Durron and the whole thing with the Maw were some good writing and explained the whole "Kessel run in 12 parsecs" thing a LOT better than a giant space worm falling in to a black hole did...

Disney could have PRINTED their own currency by playing to the fan bases strengths. Instead, they shit all over us and told us WE were the problem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I am a great example of one of their disenfranchised fan base. I grew up on Star Wars and loved it. But I don’t watch any of the newer stuff at all. I did watch season one of the Mandalorian but then quit completely after that. Fuck Disney.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Need a pic of Kathleen Kennedy getting force choked by Darth Vader.
View Quote

AI can probably deliver on that
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't wait until Disney goes bankrupt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By The_Five_Elements:
View Quote
Elon picks up the franchise during a stock firesale. First new movie comes out under his new studio and the usual yellow scroller comes up and says...

"The nightmare is over... The Universal rift has healed... Here is what really happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." and goes on in to the Thrawn books...
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#32]
That'll help them pay zero taxes next year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#33]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RevDeadCorpse:
Elon picks up the franchise during a stock firesale. First new movie comes out under his new studio and the usual yellow scroller comes up and says...

"The nightmare is over... The Universal rift has healed... Here is what really happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." and goes on in to the Thrawn books...
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Good.

Grooming pieces of trash.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Disney didn't pay pre-acquisition creators whose stuff they continued to sell whole and unmodified, E.G. Alan Dean Foster.  Disney invented a rule that royalties (AKA contractual obligations) don't transfer when a company is bought so they didn't pay whenever they didn't feel like it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/star-wars-author-royalties-disney-1234951422/
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#37]
And the Forbes article does not add in the costs for those movies of promo and advertising.

It gets a bit more tricky when they port the movies to disney plus, because hollywood accounting tactics can happen with that - left hand selling to right hand and calling it a profit, when you just kept it in house and made no profits.

Than you tack on the billions spent on the galaxy's edge parks, the obscene costs of the galactic starcruiser.

Start trying to calculate the possible losses in the toy sector (hasbro is falling through, SW toys don't sell, the wind up in ollies and than out ollie's back door) ...

And on top of that you calculate the possible losses for producing the D+ tv series.

--------------------------

Into the mix you throw that lucasfilm was more than just buying SW. They also got indiana jones (dial of destiny was a complete flop) and the real moneymakers, ILM (disney closed the FX production stuff down in ... I think it was singapore? recently).

Trying to sort all that out is a big ask, but from what I've seen, disney is not doing well with *any* of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

Holy shit this. I loved that game when it came out. I still play it through every once in a while. 2 kinda sucked, still pissed they never made a KOTOR 3.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

Kharn

@bad2006z71

Did you use this?

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/578-tsl-restored-content-mod/

They added back everything they could that got cut in the rush to get the game out for christmas season.

It makes the game noticeably better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:23:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#39]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
That'll help them pay zero taxes next year.
View Quote

From what I've heard from people who should know ... diseny is now being floated by the profits they are getting from people going to walt disney world and the disney cruise trips.

If guys can find something else do and butch up to the wife and kids,  disney could get hurt in the wallet even more signficantly.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#40]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
And the Forbes article does not add in the costs for those movies of promo and advertising.

It gets a bit more tricky when they port the movies to disney plus, because hollywood accounting tactics can happen with that - left hand selling to right hand and calling it a profit, when you just kept it in house and made no profits.

Than you tack on the billions spent on the galaxy's edge parks, the obscene costs of the galactic starcruiser.

Start trying to calculate the possible losses in the toy sector (hasbro is falling through, SW toys don't sell, the wind up in ollies and than out ollie's back door) ...

And on top of that you calculate the possible losses for producing the D+ tv series.

Into the mix you throw that lucasfilm was more than just buying SW. They also got indiana jones (dial of destiny was a complete flop) and the real moneymakers, ILM (disney closed the FX production stuff down in ... I think it was singapore? recently).

Trying to sort all that out is a big ask, but from what I've seen, disney is not doing well with *any* of it.
View Quote
Even worse, they now own the entire 20th Century Fox catalog.
Think Aliens franchise. Predator franchise. The A-Team. M*A*S*H. Die Hard. X-Files.

There is soooo much classic material that they can now add their woke, tranny, leftist bullshit too. It makes me sad what they might be planning.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#41]
OH. Also - the final cost of them being forced to buy the last 1/3 of hulu has not been determined yet.

They have paid the minimum of about 9 billion, the rest of the cost is in arbitration, it could run another 9 billion or maybe more.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Think Aliens franchise. Predator franchise. The A-Team. M*A*S*H. Die Hard. X-Files.

There is soooo much classic material that they can now add their woke, tranny, leftist bullshit too. It makes me sad what they might be planning.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

The only good thing about that is, I don't have to watch any of that garbage. To be honest, any remake, or additional content added to anything pre 2000, I pretty much assume is going to be shit filled with gays trannies, non white couples and the white guy is  the idiot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Disney didn't pay pre-acquisition creators whose stuff they continued to sell whole and unmodified, E.G. Alan Dean Foster.  Disney invented a rule that royalties (AKA contractual obligations) don't transfer when a company is bought so they didn't pay whenever they didn't feel like it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/star-wars-author-royalties-disney-1234951422/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:

I hadn't seen that article, but it does not surprise me that Disney never intended to pay for the 3rd party content.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Torqued:

Yep. Used to be a big Star Wars fan. Had no desire to see the last 2 Star Wars movies. Wouldn’t even consider pirating them to watch.
View Quote

Same here. It is almost impossible to lose money on that franchise, but here we are.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#45]

View Quote

It’s been, what, 11 or 12 years since the acquisition?

LucasFilm was a veritable golden goose that shit out solid gold eggs. It was a printing press that had George drowning in money. That it’s now $2.8B in the hole- that’s an embarrassing failure.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cowboy:

This. On a long enough time line, it will be profitable.

The Mando/Grogu movie will make serious bank if they don't woke it.

Is there still a High Republic movie coming? That will do ok or potentially be awesome if they don't woke it.

But again, even woke they will do good and add profits over time.

The Mouse will win in the end.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cowboy:

This. On a long enough time line, it will be profitable.

The Mando/Grogu movie will make serious bank if they don't woke it.

Is there still a High Republic movie coming? That will do ok or potentially be awesome if they don't woke it.

But again, even woke they will do good and add profits over time.

The Mouse will win in the end.

Maybe.  Depends on if you figure interest on the money they spent to acquire it.    You could be doing a lot with 4 billion dollars and the dumping it into something that isn't making a lot of money is always there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Five_Elements:

I'd probably pay to see that in the theatre and I don't see many movies in the theatre any more.      They're generally woke garbage.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Even my kids thought that move sucked
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#49]
You fucktards bought a license to print money, and you somehow managed to fuck it all up with your woke faggotry and preachy sanctimonious bullshit? And now you’re crying because you lost your ass to the tune of three billion?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, CRY SOME MORE!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Kharn
View Quote

YES!

Revan and Meetra’s stories would make for outstanding movies.

Ditto for the Mandalorian wars, that could have been made into one or two movies, and easily made a mint. It’s all action, that’s what people want from Star Wars. Fuck’s sake, they’ve got entire comics detailing the storyline, no actual thinking/writing necessary, they just have to bring it to the screen.

They could print money with this… But NOOOO, put a dumbass mary sue chick in it, make her lame and gay!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top