User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Shake] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mblades:

How do people get CJD in the first place?

Is it possible that one infected person gave it to another?
View Quote
I doubt it, unless they were eating each other brains. You can contract it from contaminated tissue (like mad cow disease), it can be inherited or it can be idiopathic. I think in most cases they aren't sure how the person gets it. I'd be willing to bet in those there is an unknown genetic component.

Go watch a Youtube video on prions. Its yet another thing to terrify you that we basically know nothing about.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
CWD...covid for the deer world.

P
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Master_Shake:
I doubt it, unless they were eating each other brains. You can contract it from contaminated tissue (like mad cow disease), it can be inherited or it can be idiopathic. I think in most cases they aren't sure how the person gets it. I'd be willing to bet in those there is an unknown genetic component.

Go watch a Youtube video on prions. Its yet another thing to terrify you that we basically know nothing about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Are all prions the same? Is there any way to differentiate between CJD(unless this is a catch all for any prion disease in humans) CWD, mad cow, scrapie, etc.?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Shake] [#4]

Are all prions the same? Is there any way to differentiate between CJD(unless this is a catch all for any prion disease in humans) CWD, mad cow, scrapie, etc.?
View Quote
It looks like there are different types and subgroups. Mad cow disease is a variant of CJD when contracted by humans. All a "prion" is, is a misfolded prion protein which are predominantly found in the CNS.

Proteins within the body controll cells actions based on how they are shaped/folded. Once contracted the abnormal prion tells other prion proteins to replicate incorrectly.  

Here's info from the CDCs website .

And here's decent YT video explaining prions.

The Disease You Will Never Survive

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
350 cases of CJD are diagnosed in the U.S. per year. The odds of 2 people from the same hunting camp contracting it in the same year are nearly impossible.

10 million people die from cancer every year in the U.S.

That's the difference.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
If I came in here saying something like "Bob and Ted both got the same shot and were dead from cancer in a year";
I would be bombarded by post from lots of smart individuals saying something about "correlation & causation.  

And they would be right to do so.
350 cases of CJD are diagnosed in the U.S. per year. The odds of 2 people from the same hunting camp contracting it in the same year are nearly impossible.

That's the difference.

Oh.  So correlation DOES equal causation.  Citation?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol so an elderly man presented symptoms that are general to most degenerative cognitive diseases, CWD wasn’t confirmed, but now it’s CWD in humans…maybe

FFS what a stupid article.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
IDGAF.   I kill and eat deer!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes
If I came in here saying something like "Bob and Ted both got the same shot and were dead from cancer in a year";
I would be bombarded by post from lots of smart individuals saying something about "correlation & causation.  

And they would be right to do so.

That's the difference.

Do yourself a favor and read the original journal article instead of relying on what people have posted here so far to form your opinion.

The authors aren't saying that CWD caused these guys to get CJD. So no, correlation doesn't equal causation. When 2 people, linked to one another, get a super rare prion disease after both consuming animals that possibly had a prion disease it deserves further scrutiny.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The article literally says the hunter died of sporadic CJD after eating CWD infected deer.  Some of all are dumb
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:14:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#11]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
makes you wonder how far the govt will go to keep people from eating food they hunt or grow by fear articles like this pushed out by the media
View Quote

A few years ago, we would laugh at comments like this.
Then, the Gov of MI had a problem with people buying seeds during Covid as the worshippers of the state with thier faces hid behind masks fashioned out of their own old used underwear were begging their politicians to deny people access to food stores if they were not vaxxed.

Nothing would surprise anyone at this point.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:17:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OBird] [#12]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Lol so an elderly man presented symptoms that are general to most degenerative cognitive diseases, CWD wasn’t confirmed, but now it’s CWD in humans…maybe

FFS what a stupid article.
View Quote

Article says the postmortem did confirm CJD. The fact that two people known to eat deer meat from the same place died of CJD is, at the very least, worth looking at.

And there is no possible way to ”confirm” if the deer they could’ve eaten years ago had CWD. It can take 30 years from exposure for CJD symptoms to start. How exactly are they supposed to test nonexistent deer meat from 1992?

CJD has never been known to transmit to humans, so there is nothing directly to compare it to, to “confirm” this is what’s going on. This very well may be nothing; it may not be a case of humans getting CJD from deer. But if it ever were to start happening…it would probably look something like this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Do yourself a favor and read the original journal article instead of relying on what people have posted here so far to form your opinion.

The authors aren't saying that CWD caused these guys to get CJD. So no, correlation doesn't equal causation. When 2 people, linked to one another, get a super rare prion disease after both consuming animals that possibly had a prion disease it deserves further scrutiny.
View Quote

“Deserves further scrutiny”.  Why sir, I agree with you 100%.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The similarly with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's is weird and concerning.  Misfolded proteins.  Contacted at some point in life.  Then, later, the condition arises.  

As someone with a front row seat to the shit show of Alzheimer's, an on going and daily shit show, I'd suggest this is not something to simply dismiss.  Not saying the sky is falling.  Instead, our understanding is very limited, and the consequences of a prion disease are absolutely heartbreaking and tragic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
I read the article and found exactly zero evidence of cwd transmission to humans.

It's the science version of clickbait.
View Quote
This.  They're conflating sporadic Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease with CWD; the two are not related.

Not saying it's impossible, but the authors of that study strained really, really hard to find a connection.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#16]
makes you wonder how far the govt will go to keep people from eating food they hunt or grow by fear articles like this pushed out by the media
View Quote

I can picture my commie governor of NY pondering it and only to see how much revenue the state would lose on hunting licenses and everything that surrounds the sport.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Is it even possible to have a discussion here that doesn't involve some type of governmental  conspiracy

First, the article was published by Field and Stream. Not exactly known for their anti-hunting propaganda. If CWD is able to be transmitted to humans it would absolutely devastate the hunting industry.

Second, the linked article and the original journal article never said it happened, only that it's possible it happened. Two hunters, who ate from from the same population of tainted deer, contracted and died from CJD. An extremely rare disease. It's absolutely something to keep an eye on.
View Quote

Facts, logic and common sense have no place on GD.  Put on your asbestos underwear, as you will be flamed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Klaatu_barada_nikto:
Well, the government has been funding gain of function experiments for several years,Ala covid.
View Quote

It's a protein. A prion. It is not like a virus.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Two weeks to flatten the curve?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Nobody knows.  A cousin by marriage died from it.  No family history.

It's rare.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bitmap:

I was thinking along different lines.  Imagine if government studies "proved" that CWD becomes easily transmittable to humans and is usually fatal.  Now, imagine if the only deer that were "safe" and legal to shoot were raised on private game ranches and given the latest mRNA "vaccine" to make them safe.  

Imagine the money that could be made by someone.  Imagine the new laws to be passed and new government agencies created to make sure everyone is "safe" from this menace.

I guess I'll go put my tinfoil hat on now.

Skepticism about stuff like this is another gift of the government's approach to covid.  After that mess many people won't believe anything the government says.
View Quote

It is not affected by a shot. It's not a virus. It can lay on the forest floor amongst a bunch of oak trees, and infect deer for years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By OBird:

This

The odds this was just a coincidence are….a little disconcerting.

The fact that pretty much everyone here is only concerned with virtue signaling their knee-jerk reaction skepticism & conspiracy theories is…perhaps even more disconcerting.
View Quote

Could have gotten it from somewhere else, didn't have to come from a deer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#23]
DUPE.

Shut this pathetic thread down and go to a real man's thread in the Deer hunting forum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By llanero:
DUPE.

Shut this pathetic thread down and go to a real man's thread in the Deer hunting forum.
View Quote

Oh yeah, your thread is much more informative.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:40:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By llanero:
DUPE.

View Quote

LOL who the fuck posts like this, seriously.  

OP: I think what they meant was the hunters were out there and got Wasted on the Chronic.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 1badf350:
This is how they will start banning deer hunting
View Quote

I thought that at one time. Insurance companies won’t let them. Can you imagine the car crashes if deer populations are not held in check?
Plus, Suzy homemakers roses and Brother Bob’s garden. It’s bad enough on the gardeners and farmers as it stands now.
$2.7 million in damage to crops in Georgia alone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By R3L04D:
I skimmed the study and from what I gathered, the meat which was eaten was not actually confirmed to have come from a cwd infected deer. The deer came from an area where cwd was known to be. Big difference.
View Quote

That's a huge hole in the disease vector chain of events.   I wonder if they actually did autopsies to confirm CJD?  Also, are CWD prions something that can be traced by some sort of genetic marker to confirm the association between the infected deer and the hunters with CJD?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I’m curious what these guys do for a living and how well they know each other.

It could be something as simple as a neurosurgeon having and sharing it with his buddy.

CJD is a terrifying disease though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top