Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I've missed this invention.  Off to see if Mrs Trigger has any.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to sell them. Don’t use on your clear coat or you’ll leave a haze, especially on darker colors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AL-BOB:
Great for removing dirt and smudge marks from walls if you have egg shell or semi-gloss paint.
View Quote

I used one to remove dirty hand prints left by Miguel the tile setters helper on a fairly new egg shell wall and while it removed the prints it made the wall look like shit.

If Miguel was not in the country for 25 years and married to a bitch of a woman I would call INS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I use them to remove brake dust off my aluminum rims.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Getting scuff marks off of gelcoat on a boat.  Works great
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I use them with Scrubbing Bubbles spray to clean my bathroom tile and tub/sink, and toilets.  The results exceed the sum of the parts!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, this thread cost me some money!

Never considered any of this and figured the Magic Eraser thing was just some gimic.  Now I have 50 melamine sponges on the way for $14.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I use them to remova algae in my aquarium
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
My go-to applicators for applying wood stain.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys convinced me to order 50 for $13.  Gotta be cheaper than the actual name brand ones the wife gets.  Boat needs some work, so will see how it goes!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BRCA2:
It’s great for removing marks on walls.

Don’t use it on a car. Ask me how I know.
View Quote

Oof.  Bet that turns a glossy finish to a matte finish easily.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:
I use them with Scrubbing Bubbles spray to clean my bathroom tile and tub/sink, and toilets.  The results exceed the sum of the parts!
View Quote

Scrubbing Bubbles is legit.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Careful using it on a painted interior wall, it'll take the sheen right off it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
The walmart ones are cheap and also made in Germany.

I will evaluate them this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Don’t want to use them on interior tinted auto glass , right?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't use them to scrub Sharpie lines off your kids face.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By criley:
Don't want to use them on interior tinted auto glass , right?
View Quote

Right - generally don't use them on plastic
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Everything

Get them wet and they’re even better
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Great for getting the scum off your power tools. I use this religiously. My stuff looks like new, and I'm talking tools that are over 10 years old. Take care of your tools, and they'll take care of you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I use them and white vinegar to remove the soot on the glass in the door of the woodburner
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a 20pack of melamine sponges based on this thread. Tore into the soap scum in the bathtub like nothing I've ever used. I used to have to use Barkeepers Friend and a lot of elbow grease, but these things actually work!  Thanks GD!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By redseven11b:
They work great. I accidentally used them instead of the loofah and I magically erased most of my ass cheek
View Quote

Forwarding to my wife....
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:
Buy them for pennies on amazon.  Melamine sponge.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#25]
They do a great job of removing stuff from surfaces. But...

They leave a horrible residue. Like a paste that needs to be rinsed; you can see it at the right angles. I've banned them from my hospitals.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
My daughter bought a 32 pack on Temu for about $1.50.

I do professional window cleaning as part of my job. There are occasions where only a magic eraser will work.
I keep one on me for those special moments. Also...for those of us that are part of the CROCS master race, nothing cleans them better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By amendment:
I use them to remova algae in my aquarium
View Quote

Surprised this suggestion wasn't made till page two.  You have to use the basic only melamine sponges, but they work super well for the job and won't harm the tank chemistry.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Flushdraw:
I do professional window cleaning as part of my job. There are occasions where only a magic eraser will work.
View Quote

I'd love to hear more about this. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#29]
ME and "the Works" does a great job of removing iron/rust build up in the shower and sinks. Use rubber gloves

If you dilute Iron out and water, the ME will remove nearly all iron buildup in your toilet bowl. Or just drop a few table spoons of Iron out in your bowl and fill above the "ring".

ME and CLR-mold spray works GREAT on cleaning boat furniture, but wipe down with a wet towel before people sit on it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#30]
The Walmart brand says BASF on the box side.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FatSteve:
They do a great job of removing stuff from surfaces. But...

They leave a horrible residue. Like a paste that needs to be rinsed; you can see it at the right angles. I've banned them from my hospitals.
View Quote

I always wipe everything down with a wet cloth or something after using the sponge.  It gets crap loose, but I never finish with one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Recently used on epoxy grout haze.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:
Buy them for pennies on amazon.  Melamine sponge.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Luckily I have never personally used one myself.  I leave that to the wife unit and she is a big believer in them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I am still under a rock.

What the hell is it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:01:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skink] [#36]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
I am still under a rock.

What the hell is it?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Think of a sponge sanding block you would use for drywall only very very fine grit
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I tried everything to get black scuffs and skin oil stains of my car's gray leather. Nothing would touch it until my friend mentioned the magic eraser. Mind blown
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:50:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AK] [#38]
The stain temporarily seems to embed itself in the pores of the sponge, until you rinse it.

Surprising results so far for me.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I just wiped my wiper blade edges.  I use a wet rag normally, but the Eraser removed way more black residue. Afterwards the wipers acted like new again. I will see if there are any side effects.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
I just wiped my wiper blade edges.  I use a wet rag normally, but the Eraser removed way more black residue. Afterwards the wipers acted like new again. I will see if there are any side effects.
View Quote

I gotta try that.
Link Posted: Today 1:05:13 AM EDT
[#41]
How do these work on restoring headlights?
Link Posted: Today 3:00:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GLCM_Guy:
How do these work on restoring headlights?
View Quote

I doubt it would do much of anything because not enough Grit. The headlight restoring kits usually start at 5-600 Grit
Link Posted: Today 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
If you aren't aware, it's basically a very fine sand paper.  IE: be somewhat careful with them or at least know what you are actually doing.  

Using them to remove scuffs off your wall paint is one thing because eventually you are going to repaint and you are unlikely to use them on the same spot many times.  Using them over and over and over on say your bathtub though...you are sanding away the thing you want gone and so you are also risking sanding away some of the surface finish.
View Quote

This is why I use liquid dish soap on the bathtub to break up the soapy residue, etc.  Use with a plastic scrub pad, gone, no scratching as far as I can tell, and I don't have to run the fan for a while like with bleach-based products.  BUT... bleach-based products do have a use say if your son had an explosive diarhea and hopped in the shower to clean up, etc.  Then you want bleach to kill germs, etc.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top