User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

From my perspective, I've noticed that the large majority of BTDT former military guys, at least that I encounter are some of the strongest critics of these sorts of things. The further away you get from SOF type guys, or infantry, the more TBL behavior I've seen, as far as cops that are/were military. On twitter especially, the SF guys seem to jump on bad cops pretty quickly. One exception I can think of is the acorn cop, who was SF. I'm sure there are others.
View Quote

So the cop that shot into a car after an acorn falling was former SF.... Do we have other non-mil cops that have fired into cars from an acorn hitting the patrol vehicle?

And Schimmel was in the military too, right?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:16:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LawyerUp] [#2]
Originally Posted By UV18:

So the cop that shot into a car after an acorn falling was former SF.... Do we have other non-mil cops that have fired into cars from an acorn hitting the patrol vehicle?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

From my perspective, I've noticed that the large majority of BTDT former military guys, at least that I encounter are some of the strongest critics of these sorts of things. The further away you get from SOF type guys, or infantry, the more TBL behavior I've seen, as far as cops that are/were military. On twitter especially, the SF guys seem to jump on bad cops pretty quickly. One exception I can think of is the acorn cop, who was SF. I'm sure there are others.

I don't think there's any broad brush to paint about cops and former military. I've had a lot of experience with cops both former military and not former military, and if anything I've personally seen more hesitancy to pull the trigger with combat vet military. I'm also not convinced that those are just particular personalities at play, and not necessarily due to military experience. That being said, I'm just saying I've encountered a lot of SOF guys who are sort of knee-jerk suspicious of cops, as most intelligent people would be, minus additional information to act on. If that makes any sense...

eta: which is also the sentiment I get from retired or near-retired btdt career LEOs... b/c they know they government will fuck them too if need be.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

She was stopped for speeding, which is legitimate,
View Quote

It is WEAK at best. With his other actions afterwards and his lying, his PC should be even more scrutinized because of it. Being such a low speed violation, I doubt the number he provided even more.

When I paced, it was next to or much closer. You need to maintain a distance OR have that distance increased. I follow your car at 45. If I never get closer, you are doing 45. It is easier if you are pulling away because then you are doing over 45. That is a much easier one to defend in court for the gov. My speed was XX but you had to be going faster since your distance was increasing.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]

I don't think there's any broad brush to paint about cops and former military. I've had a lot of experience with cops both former military and not former military, and if anything I've personally seen more hesitancy to pull the trigger with combat vet military. I'm also not convinced that those are just particular personalities at play, and not necessarily due to military experience. That being said, I'm just saying I've encountered a lot of SOF guys who are sort of knee-jerk suspicious of cops, as most intelligent people would be, minus additional information to act on. If that makes any sense...

eta: which is also the sentiment I get from retired or near-retired btdt career LEOs... b/c they know they government will fuck them too if need be.
View Quote

I agree. Guys with any decent experience will ALWAYS question and critique those. I have worked with some good and bad, so I gave up on the broad brush for mil SF. One of the worst was a Recon guy, but the SF guys says his experience didn't count for anything He was trigger happy and an abusive liar. He got canned not quick enough though to cost the agency a ton of money.

Worst spastic person on a call was a former SEAL. We doubted him so much that he brought in pics and other memorabilia. I was expected him to be cool and maintain control, but he just had a Q-bert energy he couldn't contain!

Had a tackleberry type too. Made some claims about SF but he began dancing when I asked a couple of simple questions. Got outed in a briefing by a Delta guy I contracted with before we both hired on. Found out he got booted halfway through training.

After a couple of decades of doing this, I learned that the mil is not always a better screener than just what you get from general society. Some units attract those that are more likely to be better at certain things but they don't always transfer to LE well. The SEAL is the prime example. Great guy. Great shooter. But just ok at deconfliction. He found his niche and was a perfect fit for it though.

If you get guys that have really BTDT, then their review of things is often decent. The problem is that you can't think solely because a person was doing XX that they are competent or were even a good fit at what they were doing. Idiots are everywhere. There is a moron in every group. If you can't figure out who it is, you are probably him.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AmishElectrician:

PA vs Mimms

The Ruling in Pennsylvania v. Mimms. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that it is not a violation of the Fourth Amendment to order someone out of their car and frisk them. They claimed that the officers' safety far outweighed the slight inconvenience of asking a motorist to exit their vehicle while on a traffic stop.

But...
When its a simple nothing stop on a high school girl? And there is not perceivable threat? Its a domination move. The same reason if someone mouths off to a cop they suddenly want ID where previously it didn't matter. Its to tell you and make it known who the fuck is in charge.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:
I'll ask again:

What authority did Officer Numbskull have to order her from the vehicle in the first place?

It was a simple moving/equipment violation, FFS!

PA vs Mimms

The Ruling in Pennsylvania v. Mimms. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that it is not a violation of the Fourth Amendment to order someone out of their car and frisk them. They claimed that the officers' safety far outweighed the slight inconvenience of asking a motorist to exit their vehicle while on a traffic stop.

But...
When its a simple nothing stop on a high school girl? And there is not perceivable threat? Its a domination move. The same reason if someone mouths off to a cop they suddenly want ID where previously it didn't matter. Its to tell you and make it known who the fuck is in charge.

Since the officer “forgot” to activate his body camera before the use of force we have to rely on his explanation to the other officer where he said he “asked” her to get out of the car.  So per his own words he didn’t order her out of the car, making the use of force illegal IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#6]

You have to keep in mind that the SCOTUS defines what state actors CANNOT do - IOW, just a threshold. It doesn't proactively authorize state or local law enforcement, or federal for that matter, to actually DO anything. PA v. Mimms says an LEO can order a driver out of a car under certain circumstances. However, that assumes that the LEO is already acting under authority of state law. Thus it's conceivable that a particular LEO isn't authorized to do that, b/c states are always free to be more restrictive with LEO than whatever threshold the SCOTUS sets.

I was kind of surprised to see here that it does not appear to be a crime, e.g., obstruction, in Indiana, to just refuse, or fail, to get out of a car under these circumstances, absent some threat. Whereas most states will just call that obstruction - not obeying some order based on a vague subjective claim of officer safety. Which is how it should be, at the very least, IMO.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:
I'll ask again:

What authority did Officer Numbskull have to order her from the vehicle in the first place?

It was a simple moving/equipment violation, FFS!

PA vs Mimms

But...
When its a simple nothing stop on a high school girl? And there is not perceivable threat? It's a domination move. The same reason if someone mouths off to a cop they suddenly want ID where previously it didn't matter. It's to tell you and make it known who the fuck is in charge.

You have to keep in mind that the SCOTUS defines what state actors CANNOT do - IOW, just a threshold. It doesn't proactively authorize state or local law enforcement, or federal for that matter, to actually DO anything. PA v. Mimms says an LEO can order a driver out of a car under certain circumstances. However, that assumes that the LEO is already acting under authority of state law. Thus it's conceivable that a particular LEO isn't authorized to do that, b/c states are always free to be more restrictive with LEO than whatever threshold the SCOTUS sets.

I was kind of surprised to see here that it does not appear to be a crime, e.g., obstruction, in Indiana, to just refuse, or fail, to get out of a car under these circumstances, absent some threat. Whereas most states will just call that obstruction - not obeying some order based on a vague subjective claim of officer safety. Which is how it should be, at the very least, IMO.

I find it interesting that Terry requires RAS that the person is armed and dangerous before a pat down can be constitutional, but I guess being in a car makes that low bar not even necessary.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 219Zipper:

Then please point to some of the videos showing the supposedly common incident where on duty Cop A fucks up and violates rights but luckily Cop B steps in and arrests Cop A.

If it's all isolated incidents, why is it that every time all the cops on the scene are participants, or fail to stop the lawbreaker?

And finally, why does it matter if it's an isolated incident.  I mean, guy robs a bank.  How much credit does he get if he's gone to a bank 100 times in his life and 99 times out of 100 he didn't rob it.  The 1 time out of 100 when he robbed it, that's an isolated incident so it shouldn't count!
View Quote

I was involved in a traffic stop once were a town cop pulled over my friend and I and then started a bunch of shit. I was one of 3 passengers in the car and sitting in the back seat and he ask for everyone's  Drivers License. I told him I didn't have my DL and he went off about how it was the law that I carry my DL at all times and told me to get out of the car.. I fired back about how he was full of shit and a fucking liar as no law required me to have a DL if I wasn't driving.

As this is going on another officer pulls up and gets out and walks up to us. He ask me what the problem was and after telling him what was going on he asked the other cop why he has to cause trouble every time he pulls someone over. He must have been the liars supervisor because he told him to go back to his car and he would take care of the stop.

The second cop ask for my name and then told me to get back in the car. In the end he wrote my friend a ticket for littering which he deserved so at least once I have seen a cop step in when another one is wrong.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ARCNA442:

Yes, it's a totally safe job where no one is ever randomly ambushed and murdered by gangsters/drug runners/sovereign citizens with automatic weapons while trying to conduct a traffic stop.

Cops should all be clean shaven with a suit and tie and even giving them a gun is pointless since everyone is so polite and respectful.
View Quote

I don't recall any one saying a cops job is totally safe but since you bring it up being a cop doesn't even make the top ten dangerous jobs
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:

The best case was the one out of FL where a cop in a squad was chased almost 12 miles by a state trooper. More than justified stop as he was driving at 100 mph and just on his way to a side gig. The revenge by other departments and personnel not even involved was interesting.

Female trooper was totally in the right, the culture really showed its stripes.
View Quote

I used to have a family friend that was a West Palm Beach Sheriff Deputy that I thought was a good guy. I ask him about that and he went off about how that trooper was wrong and so on and so on.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I find it interesting that Terry requires RAS that the person is armed and dangerous before a pat down can be constitutional, but I guess being in a car makes that low bar not even necessary.
View Quote

Terry includes the car. You don't get a free pat down for everything. The justification still must exist.

I argue against the vehicle pat downs too. If there is a weapon in the car and I pull you out, shut the door, why do I need to go secure the weapon? You are away from it now. I am under the 9th Circus and there is some not clear case law on it. Possession, alone, is not a criminal offense. Unless there is something more, you will have a hard time articulating the search.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow that cop was a total asshole.

I might have had words with him if I was the guy he spouted off to trying to leave the gas station.

This is why people hate cops with a power trip. These types need to be purged from the ranks.

Hope this girl gets a free college ride from the town PD.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By memsu:

I might have had words with him if I was the guy he spouted off to trying to leave the gas station.

This is why people hate cops with a power trip. These types need to be purged from the ranks.

View Quote

I wouldn't have, I would have just smiled and started to video and audio record him, that would have pissed him off more then anything you could say.  Evil hates the light of day more then anything else.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

if she does, it’ll be courtesy of the taxpayers, not the town’s PD.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

View Quote

SCOTUS  gives broad discretion to the trained LE professional to determine his own acceptable risk level before removing the dangerous subject from the vehicle.

Here the LEO provided written explanation of the danger he was trying to ameliorate by removing the girl from the car: The heavy traffic level making it safer for both of them to remove her from the car and place her in front of the patrol vehicle. (said heavy traffic consisting of the zero cars per minute flowing through that lane of the gas station, which the patrol vehicle effectively blocked).

In other words, if she was going to spend valuable seconds removing her ID from her lanyard, she could stand out in the rain while she did it, so he didn't have to be alone in getting wet. The fact that removing her from the car delayed the production of ID was lost on his feeble brain.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Illustration of this:

I was in the chow hall at Blackwater eating lunch with members of my class and the instructors many moons ago. The class is all military guys from a couple of different units who were doing training on their own dime prior to going back to the sandbox for another round of fun and wonder. The instructors were SEALs who were between deployments picking up money. I was probably the only dude in the class who hadn't killed people.

In another class there was this dude who had a SWAT tattoo. He was from some small hamlet up in the mid-west that obviously had lots of funding as he and the couple of guys he was with arrived in an absolutely striking RV looking thing decked out for SWAT stuff. I asked one of the other guys what their usual call outs were on and he said "We only had one call-out last year. None so far this year."

SWAT tattoo boy was there all week and the motherfucker would yell YOU'RE EITHER SWAT OR YOU'RE NOT at seemingly random intervals like some sort of autistic kid. That guy was like that Ron White joke about the bouncers who watch Road House every night and touch themselves.

He's saying that shit in a room full of Rangers, SEALs, a bunch of fed and local LE, etc. Dude was a douche and it was obvious.

Real violence comes...at least if you're not a fucking psycho...from facing malevolence on the other side. That's not a lot of fun. Some guys do legitimately itch for the fight, but it's for a fight and not whipping up on somebody who is unable to present one. The BTDT types rarely get their jollies from fucking somebody up needlessly.
View Quote

We have a BUNCH of those fucksticks on this very site.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]

It is WEAK at best. With his other actions afterwards and his lying, his PC should be even more scrutinized because of it. Being such a low speed violation, I doubt the number he provided even more.

When I paced, it was next to or much closer. You need to maintain a distance OR have that distance increased. I follow your car at 45. If I never get closer, you are doing 45. It is easier if you are pulling away because then you are doing over 45. That is a much easier one to defend in court for the gov. My speed was XX but you had to be going faster since your distance was increasing.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

She was stopped for speeding, which is legitimate,

We don't disagree. I simply pointed out that speeding satisfies RS. He could've pulled her over for going +1 over & would've been "legal", albeit bogus, & it would've been thrown out. But he couldn't have been terminated over it, since it's following the law. People have been tagged for +1 over. Face it, dicks can get away with being dicks in LE, & it happens a lot. Let's not play pretend. If corroborated by a speed cam or laser/radar, the stop would have satisfied RS.

"Pacing" is not exactly complicated, but I'm not a fan of it because absent a dash cam with speedometer display, there's no evidence; it relies hearsay testimony, of which I'm not a fan, not matter the source.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

While it is kind of dumb, the more regular cops dress like swat and the military, the more they seem to have ''issues'' with dealing with the public.

If the phrase ''the clothes make the man'' has any truth to it, maybe departments with issues need to look at the attire they want their officers to wear.
View Quote

Being militarized is the solution, not the problem. Being civil service or unionized hourly employees working for municipalities is the problem.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Being militarized is the solution, not the problem. Being civil service or unionized hourly employees working for municipalities is the problem.
View All Quotes

While it is kind of dumb, the more regular cops dress like swat and the military, the more they seem to have ''issues'' with dealing with the public.

If the phrase ''the clothes make the man'' has any truth to it, maybe departments with issues need to look at the attire they want their officers to wear.

Well, they can quit then which is 100% different and opposite then being actual Military. Plus, there are pesky little Amendments that kind of nix military power over civilians.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ClenbuterolDestroyer] [#19]
So this is the incident that got Schimmel suspended for 10 days from one of his previous jobs.

He tried to tackle a stock car driver who was arguing with another driver after a collision.

There was no reason for him to try and take the driver down, and he was totally incapable of getting him under control.

This is probably why he got such a rush out of manhandling that little girl.

https://streamable.com/fdu2ok
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ClenbuterolDestroyer:
So this is the incident that got Schimmel suspended for 10 days from one of his previous jobs.

He tried to tackle a stock car driver who was arguing with another driver after a collision.

There was no reason for him to try and take the driver down, and he was totally incapable of getting him under control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8FjGS0jIJA
View Quote

Got a version without a white guy rapping?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Well, they can quit then which is 100% different and opposite then being actual Military. Plus, there are pesky little Amendments that kind of nix military power over civilians.
View Quote

There’s absolutely nothing in the constitution from preventing a state military from being used as law enforcement.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
I agree 100% with the part in blue.

The broad brush that all cops get painted with is what raises my hackles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By IceDiver:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IceDiver:

Good things government didn't circle the equine around the unstable cop.

That might make people less trusting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Does the 2nd officer mag dumping along with acorn cop count?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ClenbuterolDestroyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8FjGS0jIJA
View Quote

Already been discussed in this thread.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#26]

There’s absolutely nothing in the constitution from preventing a state military from being used as law enforcement.
View Quote

It would be awesome!

Just one step below being federally controlled, which is what the leftists want. Federal LE only.

Your request is only reportable to the state, so you might as well only have state ran LE. I mean, they are the best at everything anyways, right?

How do I get the F-16 job? The helicopter flies to slow at times and we really need the capability to drop ordinance. And a tank.... can I drive the tank? Our old APC was fun and the Bearcat is a much easier ride, but I could see the use of a tank. Waco showed us the best ways to use them, so why not!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Does the 2nd officer mag dumping along with acorn cop count?
View Quote

Were they ex-mil too?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

Got a version without a white guy rapping?
View Quote

I guess the time stamp didn't work on embed.

My apologies.

https://streamable.com/fdu2ok
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JosephTurrisi:

I used to have a family friend that was a West Palm Beach Sheriff Deputy that I thought was a good guy. I ask him about that and he went off about how that trooper was wrong and so on and so on.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JosephTurrisi:

The best case was the one out of FL where a cop in a squad was chased almost 12 miles by a state trooper. More than justified stop as he was driving at 100 mph and just on his way to a side gig. The revenge by other departments and personnel not even involved was interesting.

Female trooper was totally in the right, the culture really showed its stripes.

Everyone wants to be part of an exclusive and powerful club where you are protected from the consequences of swinging your dick around.  It's also a blatantly unethical construct but, it is what it is.  With cops it has an illusion of legitimacy which stems from "most of the people we deal with are bad people"/"Thin Blue Line keeping society safe".
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Illustration of this:

I was in the chow hall at Blackwater eating lunch with members of my class and the instructors many moons ago. The class is all military guys from a couple of different units who were doing training on their own dime prior to going back to the sandbox for another round of fun and wonder. The instructors were SEALs who were between deployments picking up money. I was probably the only dude in the class who hadn't killed people.

In another class there was this dude who had a SWAT tattoo. He was from some small hamlet up in the mid-west that obviously had lots of funding as he and the couple of guys he was with arrived in an absolutely striking RV looking thing decked out for SWAT stuff. I asked one of the other guys what their usual call outs were on and he said "We only had one call-out last year. None so far this year."

SWAT tattoo boy was there all week and the motherfucker would yell YOU'RE EITHER SWAT OR YOU'RE NOT at seemingly random intervals like some sort of autistic kid. That guy was like that Ron White joke about the bouncers who watch Road House every night and touch themselves.

He's saying that shit in a room full of Rangers, SEALs, a bunch of fed and local LE, etc. Dude was a douche and it was obvious.

Real violence comes...at least if you're not a fucking psycho...from facing malevolence on the other side. That's not a lot of fun. Some guys do legitimately itch for the fight, but it's for a fight and not whipping up on somebody who is unable to present one. The BTDT types rarely get their jollies from fucking somebody up needlessly.

@John_Wayne777 : were they from Indiana by any chance?  

Back during the GWOT I attended an event at the east coast SEAL sniper training compound as a guest of a friend who was an instructor.  Some little SWAT dude was there with a couple others from his Indiana based team, I don't remember what Agency.  And it was pretty obvious that our Little SWAT Man was trying to out yap, out drink, out swear, and out jizz everyone there.  The way he bragged and yapped about shwacking people raised a bunch of eyebrows too, since he was domestic LE and dealing with Citizens.

SWAT tattoos - who woulda thunk it.  

I asked my buddy and his roomie about it, they both rolled their eyes and had some less than complimentary things to say.  That is putting it diplomatically.    
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Were they ex-mil too?
View Quote

I doubt she ever met the SF/.mil standard being discussed. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#32]

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

https://i.postimg.cc/02PPBPPw/image.jpg

View Quote

HOW DARE YOU!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

https://i.postimg.cc/02PPBPPw/image.jpg

View Quote

Oh, my.  Definitely LawyerUp's thumbnail, not the cops over reaction.  Yup.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kozaki:

HOW DARE YOU!!!!
View Quote

Diabolical!
Page / 19
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top