[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

Meat packing plants are paying fairly well
View Quote
Meat packing plants also seem to give preferential hiring to "guest labor". I'm not saying it isn't doable and I actually commend those that do make that lifestyle work, and there are many people that do. However, it's fundamentally not a tenable idea to just tell everyone to do that. Those places are cheap due to low demand. If everybody started moving out to dying towns in the northeast, for example, they wouldn't be dying anymore and land values would skyrocket. The sad part is that the land values really shouldn't be that low to begin with in an area like rural New York for instance. It's purely the result of government policy decisions resulting in depressed market conditions, or in other words, nobody wants to live in that shithole state.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

The American dream isn’t good enough for you?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Meat packing plants also seem to give preferential hiring to "guest labor". I'm not saying it isn't doable and I actually commend those that do make that lifestyle work, and there are many people that do. However, it's fundamentally not a tenable idea to just tell everyone to do that. Those places are cheap due to low demand. If everybody started moving out to dying towns in the northeast, for example, they wouldn't be dying anymore and land values would skyrocket. The sad part is that the land values really shouldn't be that low to begin with in an area like rural New York for instance. It's purely the result of government policy decisions resulting in depressed market conditions, or in other words, nobody wants to live in that shithole state.
View Quote

I know a lot of people that work at the mill or the packing plant. It’s good pay, insurance, they even give 2 weeks of vacation a year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Imagine raising a family on less than $250k
View Quote

The horror.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
linky to said houses?
View Quote

There are _hundreds_ of small towns across the Midwest where skilled labor makes $100k plus and decent homes in safe neighborhoods are <$300k.  Literally search realtor.com in any town under 10k people in sw WI as one example.

It certainly isn't as easy as it once was. You do have to look in places with shitty weather, bad scenery where Culvers is a "nice" restaurant.  It's not like people didn't move to places they didn't want to go for economic opportunities in the past.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nah, I'm speaking as an arfcom billionare.

That house is nicer than mine.
But my house is also paid for, and I've been living in it for 26 years.. So I got that going for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
Doesn't matter how much you make, dumb poor people make dumb fucking decisions.  Poor people make the world go round much more than rich people.
View Quote
I don't disagree, but some things are geared against them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Mostly communist talking points.

Rich white folks talking about how hard it is for the folks that pay them inflated education costs for degrees in basket weaving. They covered all of the Democrat party talking points:

Taylor Swift
College Loan Debt
Costs of Housing
Low Pay
Inflation

All of these things are caused by reckless government spending and intervention. The solution is limited government.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 58Eldorado:
ME AND MY WIFE MAKE 4 TIMES THAT AMOUNT
View Quote

And you still can't afford a keyboard with lowercase capabilities.  See, the video is right!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By makintrax73:

There are _hundreds_ of small towns across the Midwest where skilled labor makes $100k plus and decent homes in safe neighborhoods are <$300k.  Literally search realtor.com in any town under 10k people in sw WI as one example.

It certainly isn't as easy as it once was. You do have to look in places with shitty weather, bad scenery where Culvers is a "nice" restaurant.  It's not like people didn't move to places they didn't want to go for economic opportunities in the past.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By makintrax73:
linky to said houses?

Sir. Is your use of quotes supposed to refute the fact that Culver's fine dinning is anything but?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah no shit, it's called inflation. It comes from printing money.

People need to realize that the banks and large corporations don't benefit from the middle class becoming wealthier and wealthier. So it doesn't happen. They need the middle class to live perpetually paycheck to paycheck, and be deeply in debt. When we die, there is no generational wealth transferred, whatever is left of our estate goes back to the debtors. Their long term plan for us is that we will eventually own nothing and become the ultimate servants.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HRoark87:

Sir. Is your use of quotes supposed to refute the fact that Culver's fine dinning is anything but?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By paul463:

But my house is also paid for, and I've been living in it for 26 years.. So I got that going for me.
View Quote

My house isn’t up to arfcom standards, but I’ve got a river, 20 acre pond, 40 acres of crop land I cash rent + 50 acres of woods and grassland. I like it here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BroomSlayer:
Yeah no shit, it's called inflation. It comes from printing money.

People need to realize that the banks and large corporations don't benefit from the middle class becoming wealthier and wealthier. So it doesn't happen. They need the middle class to live perpetually paycheck to paycheck, and be deeply in debt. When we die, there is no generational wealth transferred, whatever is left of our estate goes back to the debtors. Their long term plan for us is that we will eventually own nothing and become the ultimate servants.
View Quote
what if i told you that you've been a tax and/or wage slave your entire life?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Doomed!!!

Liberals forget people have legs, and cars, and know how to use them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I only made it a few minutes in when I noticed how dumb/clickbait the article was.

The caption of the video say $100,000 salary.  But the video is based on $100,000 household income.  

HUGE difference between a dual household income where two people make $100,000 vs a total income of $100,000.  

Yes, in a few places (NY, SF) it would still suck, but for the most part, I think a 200,000 household income is living the American dream, assuming you are not stupid with your money, and the dream is "realistic".
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]
what if i told you that you've been a tax and/or wage slave your entire life?
View Quote

Yup, pretty much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep giving the jobs to Pajeet and Pedro and this is the result.
View Quote

Yep, we're on our way to what Canada has.  Los angles cost of living with west Virginia salaries..
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]

My house isn’t up to arfcom standards, but I’ve got a river, 20 acre pond, 40 acres of crop land I cash rent + 50 acres of woods and grassland. I like it here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By paul463:

I cruise Zillow from time to time..  I'm so fucking glad I'm not in the market for a house.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

Do they come with an unfinished basement?
View All Quotes
You can’t get a 900sf house in a small town, a single decent used car, a 17” tv and a phone in the kitchen for 100k?

Do they come with an unfinished basement?

Sounds like the home I was born in - 925 sq.ft., three beds, 1.25 baths.

Homes like that in town are going for $65,000. There's also bigger homes like a 1600 sq.ft. home 3 bed, 2 bath is $85,000. With just $8,500 (10%) down the principal and interest is $600 a month. Rule-of-thumb 33% means you need $1800 of take home or a job that pays about $12 an hour. McDonald's is hiring at +$14 an hour.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:

Yep, we're on our way to what Canada has.  Los angles cost of living with west Virginia salaries..
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Big Daddy the movie prepared me for this moment. I'm now confident in my ability to drop canned food to elicit a market's defective item discount.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Big Daddy the movie prepared me for this moment. I'm now confident in my ability to drop canned food to elicit a market's defective item discount.
View Quote
you can afford dented cans?

lucky.gif
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

We got one!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Learn to Code
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By spidey07:
Record breaking Democrat inflation, how do it work?
View Quote

It sucked.

Bank rates at for homes was the shit back in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

We're getting close to bank rates that have just flirting one third those days record.

No squish-wishy income either, if you were a self employed or worked for a small company it was difficult to even get a loan at the stupid +10% to 16% rates I graduated high school with. Student loans were about 12% IIRC.

The best bank rates during high school were 8%. Then the they went to 10%, then 12%, then 15% while I was looking to get married and buy a house. The prices of the loans were changing by the month going up and up. By the time I joined the Navy home loans were at 16%.

Buying a $65,000 home meant an $800 a month payment which didn't work out on my Navy pay of less than $580 a month before taxes as an E-3. Even an E-9 making $1800 after 30-years of service would struggle back then.

It was murder.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Say, $80k after taxes, I could pay off a nice home in 6 years.
View Quote

$80k after fed, state, local, health care, HSA and retirement is almost $150k before.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 58Eldorado:
ME AND MY WIFE MAKE 4 TIMES THAT AMOUNT
View Quote

THAT'S ALL? LOL THOSE ARE ROOKIE NUMBERS TO TEH AVERAGE GD'ER CHIEF.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

How many $100k+ jobs have you applied for that were given to an Indian (or Mexican ) that needed a H1-B visa?
View All Quotes

How many $100k+ jobs have you applied for that were given to an Indian (or Mexican ) that needed a H1-B visa?

All of them. And it’s 140k.  They only hire other Indians.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#34]

I know a lot of people that work at the mill or the packing plant. It’s good pay, insurance, they even give 2 weeks of vacation a year.
View All Quotes

I work in the “trades” for a global manufacturer, and yes the benefits can be huge.  Our lowest paid workers are topped out at $30 and change per hour plus benefits.  They do a small 401k match, max is 3% of your wages is you are putting in at least 6%. And while I don’t know about newer employee percentages they are paying close to 90% of my health insurance. (Was slightly over don’t know currently but still dam close.  )

While my pay is better because of “skilled trades” the benefits are the same, some healthcare plans determined by when enrolled.  

So in reality if an employee had worked for my employer for about 5-6 years with nothing more than a high school diploma and a clean hiring drug screen they will be making more than the average household income for my zip code.

Then again you have to put up with factory bullshit but for the area you can live alright, especially with a working spouse. No you ain’t living the movie star life but can live a good life.  All about priorities.  

On another note don’t think the woke shit ain’t in our schools either.  It’s pervasive, thank you great interweb.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
pfft. That's what I pay my personal ball washer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:22:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamuelAdams1776] [#36]

View All Quotes

We couldn't apply.   Tech companies openly said that they don't want "Americans with passports" to represent their companies.

ETA,

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, as amended, protects employees and job applicants from employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#37]
American dream isn't real. We had a post war boom and made it last, but the men that made it are long dead and we are just lesser copies.

Someone blew up the Georgia guidestones, but They were right all along. Humanity doesn't need 8 billion of which maybe 900 million are actually productive
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
Fucking Bullshit......quit buying your fucking starbucks and eating out every fucking day. Buy yourself a $30 or $40 vehicle instead of your $80,000 trucks when you can't fucking afford it. People hate the word "conservative".
View Quote

Preach it brother!

If I stated how much I made 20 years ago, and how many kids I was raising at the time, some of Arf would probably rip me left and right - three days till payday and it's rice and fried eggs for dinner! :)

Today I make 8.4 times what I made then, and while I have nicer stuff / more of it, I live well within my means.

I'm going to go outside and yell at a cloud now
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Fucking Bullshit......quit buying your fucking starbucks and eating out every fucking day. Buy yourself a $30 or $40 vehicle instead of your $80,000 trucks when you can't fucking afford it. People hate the word "conservative".
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Lol
View Quote

I chuckled at the $40 vehicle too!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Plenty of us do all that shit and more and still can’t make it right now. We just got handed a shit sandwich due to no fault of our own.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Plenty of us do all that shit and more and still can’t make it right now. We just got handed a shit sandwich due to no fault of our own.
View Quote

Who the fuck handed you a shit sandwich, and exactly why did you accept it?

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Precious87:

Who the fuck handed you a shit sandwich, and exactly why did you accept it?

View Quote

The government just left it on my doorstep
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

The government just left it on my doorstep
View Quote

Well, there's that

I even raised my blood pressure preparing for an internet fight
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#45]
It fucking cost me $50+ for 2 matinée tickets to Dune 2 (non-IMAX), small popcorn, and a small drink.

Draft dodging boomers would've enlisted if they felt that burn in 1965-1972
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll say it starting out now would suck. Everything's fucking expensive. Money isn't worth anything. Everyone's getting laid off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Money Printer Go Brrr for 10 hours
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#48]
OP: i got my 1987 toyota van down by the river, a messican blanket, a couple rip its from the dollar tree, a brand new pair of realtree camo crocs, a titanium spork, and a case of the chef boyardee raviolis.

i p***s in a bucket and i move every couple days to avoid being harassed by five oh.

https://res.cloudinary.com/outdoorsy/image/upload/c_limit,w_2880,h_2160/t_odw,a_exif,q_auto,f_auto,h_1080,w_1440,c_fit/v1608052594/p/rentals/145215/images/vd4xmkcouijpeow4qhod.jpg

https://res.cloudinary.com/outdoorsy/image/upload/c_limit,w_2880,h_2160/t_odw,a_exif,q_auto,f_auto,h_1080,w_1440,c_fit/v1608052408/p/rentals/145215/images/kn7ndpaa4zoea2hx7rb3.jpg

i'm good to go, slick.

View Quote

You had me at titanium spork….
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Mainstream propaganda.

not that I disagree but they don't even begin to approach the root cause of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#50]
View Quote
I raised three kids on $40-60k and raising a 16yr old on $93k a year.

Can even afford $1200 a month flight lessons for my 16yr old son.

I live in a small 3000sq Ft home on 50 acres. My 32yr old son has two homes, (small 3 br two bath)
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top