Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LowBeta] [#1]
Not entirely facetious here.

W93 will be tested, it will be taken into space on a DSP launch and by circuitous methods be placed in an extralunar orbit whence it will be tested for effect while in eclipse with the moon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JamPo:
Dec. 1942 formation of Manhattan Project. Aug. 1945 drop bomb on Hiroshima. Has nuclear bomb development become that much more difficult in 80 years?
View Quote

While complying with the EPA, dealing with the shuttering/mothballing of a lot of the fabrication sites, and dealing with the rest of the FAR follies?  Yeah, probably a lot more difficult to actually build something.  Where are they going to fab the pits, since Rocky Flats is no more?  Savannah River is drastically reduced, etc...

Oh, and can we not sell the fucking thing to China this time, Clintons? Why haven't him and his evil, demonic shuggoth of a spouse been thrown under the prison at this point?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LowBeta:

W93 will be tested, it will be taken into space on a DSP launch and by circuitous methods be placed in an extralunar orbit whence it will be tested for effect while in eclipse with the moon.
View Quote

Interesting. There are solar observatories that probably would still catch the signal, but orbits are known, and there probably is a solution where they're all watching the magician's wand instead of his sleeves.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

While complying with the EPA, dealing with the shuttering/mothballing of a lot of the fabrication sites, and dealing with the rest of the FAR follies?  Yeah, probably a lot more difficult to actually build something.  Where are they going to fab the pits, since Rocky Flats is no more?  Savannah River is drastically reduced, etc...

Oh, and can we not sell the fucking thing to China this time, Clintons? Why haven't him and his evil, demonic shuggoth of a spouse been thrown under the prison at this point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They have been quietly dumping a fuck ton into SRS's pu capabilities. Meanwhile, they remain terrified of seismic activities at the lanl facility. At least that's top cover. (shrugs)

I still occasionally read the unclass safety stuff at the plants. They shut pantex down, or at least several production cells, because they found a clamp that holds a wire pipe onto the wall may or may not meet nuclear surety standards. Let that sink in.

Now you want to actually BUILD pits??

lol the problem is that they need to stick to the 50's for now. They want to do it near net with microwave casting and all that. Ambitious and the right direction if they could do the whole spectrum of testing. But they can't, they are relying on old code decks they think they have sharpened with fractional crit underground tests, and... they don't know what they don't know.

Oh, fucking glorious! First test is to destroy the hidden chyna moonbase. I am down.

Seriously though, I only wrote President Trump one time. I told him the best thing he could ever do was do a new test. Have them make a new one to make sure it fucking worked, but... test one.

It would be the biggest money maker in USG history. Just the ppv rights alone. Everyone would be happy. The anti's would be ROLLING in the dough again, because they would have something real to be pissed about for once.

I just asked for a ringside seat. I want to see it. For real. One time.

Back to the thread, tell me I am wrong on any of the points. Especially reference computer modeling of systems. I about half believe 3/4th of fusion research money is honestly top cover to do fundamentals testing to refine the code decks. If you are too worried to type, just generally nod your head. (I hate recipes)
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I welcome it - my grandfather was intimately involved with the creation of the 'Manhattan Project'.

God Bless America  

https://i.postimg.cc/fLvf5bPH/manhattan.jpg
View Quote

My grandpa was part of Operation Crossroads. Found that out a year or two ago. He never once talked about it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
Gun type uranium fission warheads, - about 15 KTs
Implosion type plutonium warheads - about 22 KTs
Boosted fission warheads - about 120 to 400 KTs
Staged nuclear weapons - first proof of design went 10 MT, but with a mass to large to move. Later engineered to small MIRV sizes after alot of designing and testing
TZAR Bomba went 50 MT, could have been 100 MT. 1961 design so big that it required the Tupolev bombers fuselage to be cut away.

No testing meant that most of the Polaris A1 missiles that went to sea on the George Washington subs were DUDS.

It's not that straightforward to get the various physics demons to play together. The NORKs can testify to that.

Los Alamos actually had the fewest fizzles.
View Quote

Operation Castle was a notable success.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MudEagle] [#7]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
Back to the thread, tell me I am wrong on any of the points. Especially reference computer modeling of systems. I about half believe 3/4th of fusion research money is honestly top cover to do fundamentals testing to refine the code decks. If you are too worried to type, just generally nod your head. (I hate recipes)
View Quote

I have to wonder how large the pool is of people who are even qualified to participate the discussion. Digital modeling? Not me, I'm out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
You might seem smug and snarky now, but you try to develop a green, biodegradable, carbon neutral, ethically sourced, organic, farm to table, not tested on animals, 100% from recycled materials, thermonuclear weapon.
View Quote

Thread winner.  Shut it down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
ALL the old white guys who used to work on this stuff are either retired or have been fired and the severely handicapped, and now mentally ill diversity hires that have replaced them can't be trusted to change a light bulb. Much less assemble a strategic weapons system.

Mfers mfing
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Dec. 1942 formation of Manhattan Project. Aug. 1945 drop bomb on Hiroshima. Has nuclear bomb development become that much more difficult in 80 years?
View Quote

Cutting checks for everyone’s 10% kickback takes time…
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#11]

BRB Getting a can of beans and hot sauce. Shouldn't be long now.

ETA: Don't know if it will be ethically tested. I will test weapon on my cats that like to sit under  my chair when I eat. If they run away I will consider it a success.
View All Quotes
You might seem smug and snarky now, but you try to develop a green, biodegradable, carbon neutral, ethically sourced, organic, farm to table, not tested on animals, 100% from recycled materials, thermonuclear weapon.

BRB Getting a can of beans and hot sauce. Shouldn't be long now.

ETA: Don't know if it will be ethically tested. I will test weapon on my cats that like to sit under  my chair when I eat. If they run away I will consider it a success.
Blank check is in the mail. As long as you are a female owned BIPOC executive board defense firm with an up to date ESG action plan filed with our office.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

It wouldn't be tested on animals. Its not 1953 anymore.

Nuclear tech is very carbon neutral. Depending on what scientist you talk to.

Also it seems likely that these will be built from the enduring stockpile. So they would be recycled from old bombs.

Its not going to be organic though.
View All Quotes

It wouldn't be tested on animals. Its not 1953 anymore.

Nuclear tech is very carbon neutral. Depending on what scientist you talk to.

Also it seems likely that these will be built from the enduring stockpile. So they would be recycled from old bombs.

Its not going to be organic though.
Joke is on you, we have corned the world's organic banana market to deliver the world's first Potassium-40 physics package
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By VaniB:

Thats exactly what I was wondering. If we have a couple of hundred old-school hydrogen style nukes (more powerful than Hioshima) on their way to an adversary, so that 2, 3  or 10 get thru their defense, that doesn't kill them good enough?

Look at thr havoc just 2 collapsing buildings in NYC did to  our society!
View Quote

The Titan II delivered a 9 megaton nuke that weighed about 8,000 lbs. It was ~4  feet in diameter.

I don't think you're gonna MIRV that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

Compare deliver methods from 1945 and 2024, as well as bomb yield and physical size.

View All Quotes

Compare deliver methods from 1945 and 2024, as well as bomb yield and physical size.

Most now a variable yield. But probably the largest timeline expanding factor is bureaucracy and funding. Not to mention we aren't trying to end a world war and demonstrate nuclear capability before the nazis...
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:

It doesn't take that long to design a weapon.  

We had a 150 lb (give or take) atomic demolition charge in the late 40's only a few years after the gadget was tested.

View Quote

Did it survive being launched by a missile and the vibration shock and heat of re-entry?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

I have to wonder how large the pool is of people who are even qualified to participate the discussion. Digital modeling? Not me, I'm out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

Suprisingly, there are several on here, some with uncomfortably close ties to... things. I am just a loud mouth long-time speculator.

Originally Posted By dorobuta:

Did it survive being launched by a missile and the vibration shock and heat of re-entry?

It was designed to survive parachuting and scuba insertion, along with being a missile warhead (see AIM-26 (GAR-11??) FALCON, AGM-62 WALLEYE, and ... nope, the GENIE was a W25). I think it would have been way underkill, but would have been able to put several in most of Avco's offerings of the day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
[...]
It would be the biggest money maker in USG history. Just the ppv rights alone. Everyone would be happy. The anti's would be ROLLING in the dough again, because they would have something real to be pissed about for once.

[...]
View All Quotes
[...]

[...]

This guy, who writes about military and telecomms tech esp. in New Mexico, took the tour of the Nevada National Security Site (Nuclear Testing complex north of Las Vegas.)  He agrees with you.  He thought the wooden bleachers for observers were the most emotional part of the tour:

This is one of those things about nuclear weapons that is difficult to capture in language without resorting to poetry. As much as we might hope for disarmament, and as much as we might celebrate the end of atmospheric testing and the end of all testing some decades later, I am quite sure that we all want to see it, just once. Lot's wife, as we usually understand it, turned back to see the cities. I have always thought, though, that it is a better explanation that she turned back to see the destruction. Who wouldn't be curious about the physical manifestation of God's power? A surprising number of people, sitting on those benches and equipped with protective eyewear, saw just that. They looked down on Frenchman Flat, toward all the land of the plain, and saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace (Gen. 19:28 NIV). Lucky that Oppenheimer had developed a fascination with Hinduism; had he been a Christian, he, too, might have been turned to salt. Then again, he might not have been labeled a Communist and stripped of his clearance. Oppenheimer had a difficult time with more than one higher power.

(All his stuff is fascinating if you have any interest in hardware and infrastructure, or ever wondered, "What are those abandoned huts/towers/poles out in NM/CA/NV all about?")

https://computer.rip/2022-09-13-the-nevada-national-security-site-pt-2.html

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
ALL the old white guys who used to work on this stuff are either retired or have been fired and the severely handicapped, and now mentally ill diversity hires that have replaced them can't be trusted to change a light bulb. Much less assemble a strategic weapons system.

Mfers mfing
View Quote
Don't forget that additionally, the focus has been pushed away from Doing Science, and instead trumpeting First (insert minority du jour) to Do A Thing. Weaponeering was doomed when the communists prodded the mentally ill liberals dressed as environmentalists to take out production work, and instead they got tossed the Work For Others program.

I honestly don't know (and I am a huge fan/supporter) how they will ever get the 93 to final phase. The sheer volume of paperwork and tangential studies required will take a fucking football field to house. And it will be a living document.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Interesting. There are solar observatories that probably would still catch the signal, but orbits are known, and there probably is a solution where they're all watching the magician's wand instead of his sleeves.
View All Quotes

forgot about those pesky satellites.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:
2030s?

WW3 will be over by then.

View Quote

But they'll be just in time for WW4.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I imagine the issues with development isn't the bang but how to get it on target, evade counter measures, etc...
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Whole host of issues. Top 3 are the guys that did it did a terrible job of passing on the knowledge. The regulations around doing it make it so much harder now. The facilities to do it no longer exist.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:
I imagine the issues with development isn't the bang but how to get it on target, evade counter measures, etc...
View Quote
nope.

that is other people's problems.

Unless they decide to break wind, they are constrained as to what they can do and the guy still sign the yearly certification with a straight face.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]

I do not believe NK has fired a legit nuke yet. Tired of arguing it though.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#25]
what size carbon footprint does this new nuclear weapon have

we are all dead from the climate crisis  in 2 years so why are we waisting the money?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Probably designed to fail, commies making sure America is defenseless.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mach:

we are all dead from the climate crisis  in 2 years so why are we waisting the money?
View Quote

For every nuke det, the MIC has promised to plant one (1) tree.

It evens out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

Someone will be along shortly to repeatedly and aggressively inform you that all the old white guys who used to work on this stuff are either retired or have been fired and the severely handicapped, mentally ill diversity hires that replaced them can't be trusted to change a light bulb. Much less assemble a strategic weapons system.

I have seen the memo but 10+ years from development to production?
That sounds like a description Douglas Adams would come up with
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By swede1986:

lol
View All Quotes

lol
indeed. You guys didn't fire one, either
Originally Posted By Mach:

it's internally being positioned as the climate buster
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Actiondiver:
The journalist that wrote this must have a macabre sense of humor.

In 1941, the US imposed an oil embargo on Japan, which was heavily dependent on imports for its energy needs. This, along with Japan's aggression in Asia, including the occupation of French Indochina (now Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia), led to the infamous attack on Pearl Harbor.

Fast forward to today, and US Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm is in Japan, now a strong ally, exploring clean energy solutions like liquefied hydrogen carriers that we can supply.

Meanwhile, the Washington Times reports that the US is working on a new nuclear warhead for the first time in 40 years. It's a stark reminder of the past, when the US dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The irony is not lost here. We've gone from being adversaries to allies with Japan, but the challenges remain elsewhere.
Nuclear weapons have played a significant role in diplomacy, serving to preserve the supremacy of the US dollar and American standard of living.
View Quote
Wars have always been another way to further killing technology and thin the human race at the same time.

I believe the powers that be are trying to figure out a nuke war that will thin the population and not destroy the planet.  Right now they are deciding what cities can be destroyed and what steps can be made to make it happen.

Each century has human population reduction milestones.

Covid and Ukraine have met the WW1 and flu pandemic part, yet the WW2 equivalent is a harder nut to crack because of nukes.

problems are humans are getting tougher to kill, medical advances help people live longer etc.

Conventional wars just don't kill enough humans to be very effective in the 21st century.

Could be setting the stage for a terrorist nuke event, problem is getting a nuke in a city or ten large enough to really do damage.

I have always predicted the world org will let countries conduct a mutual nuke exchange and come to an immediate ceasefire a few days later.

Then world leaders will meet and decide such a technology should ever be used again. A one Earth type gov will be created to lead the nations across the planet.

The least educated and higher risk areas would be destroyed in the global nukelaunch.

Saudi Arabia and Europe would be spared, Muslim leaders will agree since Europe is populated with them and their ideology will survive.

The rest of the Middle East will be destroyed. (Syria,Iraq, Iran and parts of Egypt).

A airburst nuke will replace the older nukes that surface detonate and create more fallout.

At that point the globe will be focused on survival and rebuilding vs revenge on the people who started it.

Things that will also come out of this:

End of vapes and tobacco, that industry will be wiped out and or banned

Drugs etc will be scarce or gone. Mentally ILL have a low chance of survival.

Reductions of firearms across the globe, ammo plants destroyed and once rebuilt will be military only. People will have guns, but no new ammo other than what they have.

personaly owned transportation: the remaining vehicle factories will be building shipping trucks etc. Fuel will be scarce and expensive. Survivors will be moved into newly built liberal utopias with state controlled internet and transportation.

Gender reassignment surgeries: medical care will be limited

Obesity/elderly population:  much of the global supply of insulin will take years to replace, those folks will probably not survive.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TexasSheepdog:
That sounds like a description Douglas Adams would come up with
View Quote

Huh, you're right.

I miss that guy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#32]
What ever happened to the user friendly neutron bomb so you could take over their undamaged shit in short order?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By j3_:
What ever happened to the user friendly neutron bomb so you could take over their undamaged shit in short order?
View Quote

It was a myth. At least what you describe as. From an engineering perspective I believe it was simply a thermonuclear weapon with a part missing. The idea was proposed for neutralizing eastern bloc tank battalions, it still goes off with the not insignificant force of a nuclear weapon. It never would have left infrastructure undamaged.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

The Manhattan Project didn't have to file environmental impact statements, verify minority owned subcontractors, weekly Sexual Harassment And Rape Prevention training, attend Government, Department Of Defense, AND U.S. Navy I.T. security training, certify they have the right mix of women, lesbians, peter-puffers, trans, bi, poly,  physically handicapped, mentally handicapped, blacks, latinos, and Native Americans to meet D.E.I. goals, fill out justifications why all the computer code ISN'T coded in ADA, and contract Microsoft to provide security updates adn maintenance patches to WIndows XP so they can keep using their old computers after End Of Life support.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#35]

lol
View All Quotes

lol

Pretty sure they have, my question is, do they actually possess a deployable weapon? Our first weapons had to be dropped from B29s, I don't think they have anything like that. Are their weapons miniaturized enough to fit on missiles?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By colklink:

Pretty sure they have, my question is, do they actually possess a deployable weapon? Our first weapons had to be dropped from B29s, I don't think they have anything like that. Are their weapons miniaturized enough to fit on missiles?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By colklink:

lol

That’s the million dollar question.

Their testing is public knowledge, and was confirmed by multiple other countries (GD ”experts” may disagree). Whether they can deploy a functional 2-stage weapon is still unkown. It can’t be ruled out though as the pictures they did release match what is publically known about this kind of weapon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#37]

We had a 150 lb (give or take) atomic demolition charge in the late 40's only a few years after the gadget was tested.

View All Quotes

It doesn't take long to develop a weapon system on paper.  There was a lot less red tape and paper work 80 years ago.

When the Cold war ended and the nuclear arms race ended with Russia the federal government had to do something with all the people employed making nuclear bomb components.  Uncle Sam's first task was to create lots of paper work do record, document, and certify every feed stock material, chemical processing, manufacturing step, machine tool, fixture and cutting tool.  Then do it all again on physical inspection, assembly, shipping, storage of each warhead and component.  Then as they aged out document and specify every chemical, process, tool, fixture, drum...for disassembly and ultimately destruction of classified status.  

Every war head has at least an 8 drawer file cabinet of documentation with it.  Every building and process has an equally sized pile of paper.   Uncle Sam needed to keep the bomb makers employed to keep some of them from working with countries wanting to develop nuclear weapons.  He also needed to document absolutely everything because some people in charge realized there would be a big brain drain and loss of historical knowledge as people died or left for new jobs.  There was about 20 years where relatively no one was hired at any nuclear weapon production facility except for decommissioning, clean-up, and closure of facilities.  

Many of the materials and chemicals used in the past are banned and no longer produced since the advent of the EPA and supporting clean acts.   A new modern warhead will require new materials, and processes to be developed and tested for accelerated aging compatibility before the first warhead is assembled.  

Machining and assembly of all the components doesn't take that much time in the grand scheme of a weapon production.  It's the testing, documentation and certification at multiple steps where each step has to be authorized by the design agency and DOE before the next step can proceed.

The bureaucracy takes 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:19:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#38]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:20:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#39]

It was a myth. At least what you describe as. From an engineering perspective I believe it was simply a thermonuclear weapon with a part missing. The idea was proposed for neutralizing eastern bloc tank battalions, it still goes off with the not insignificant force of a nuclear weapon. It never would have left infrastructure undamaged.
View Quote

Fooled again. Still waiting on that charged particle beam thing too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#40]

You live in LA but show yourself as being in NY?

Way to shit on this thread.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I honestly don't know (and I am a huge fan/supporter) how they will ever get the 93 to final phase. The sheer volume of paperwork and tangential studies required will take a fucking football field to house. And it will be a living document.
View Quote

It may be just a thought exercise, like the RRW. Go through the motions just to see if it's still possible to go through the motions.

Although, there are real issues with maintenance and refurbishing on the SLBM warhead types... that "wispy" stuff seems to be a big problem to deal with - it's apparently both complex and "touchy" to process, and extremely toxic - and apparently the design is such that it has to be removed and then regenerated to refurbish a warhead. It might be enough of a pain that it's easier to design a replacement warhead before they reach their next refurbishment interval, a design that doesn't use that wispy stuff.

What was described in the article is using existing, tested primary and secondary, probably just repackaged to fit some physical size requirements. It is a leap since it would be the first warhead that hadn't ever been tested.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Element94] [#42]
Thank God for the Military Industrial Complex.
No sarcasm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Have AI build it, manage it, and deploy it. They will know better then us. I am positive AI can build functional nuclear weaponry without testing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Cobalt Bomb
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Element94] [#45]
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:
Have AI build it, manage it, and deploy it. They will know better then us. I am positive AI can build functional nuclear weaponry without testing.
View Quote

What could go wrong?

Username checks out also.

I asked Gemini --

can ai build a working atomic bomb ?

No, AI currently cannot design and build a working atomic bomb on its own. Here's why:

Complex Physical Manipulation: Building a bomb requires handling dangerous fissile materials and precisely assembling complex components. AI doesn't have the physical capabilities to do this.

Rare Knowledge and Materials: Nuclear bomb design knowledge is classified and tightly controlled. AI would need access to this restricted information and exotic materials.

Unforeseen Challenges: The bomb-building process is fraught with unpredictable dangers. AI's decision-making isn't yet robust enough to handle these situations.

However, AI could potentially be used in some aspects of nuclear weapons programs, raising concerns about:

Vulnerability to cyberattacks: AI systems in weapons control could be hacked.

Decision-making bias: AI algorithms could influence human decisions towards using nuclear weapons.

Overall, the complete design and construction of a nuclear bomb by AI is unlikely in the foreseeable future. There are significant technical and security challenges to overcome.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Joke is on you, we have corned the world's organic banana market to deliver the world's first Potassium-40 physics package
View Quote

Now that is some funny shit…
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#47]
View Quote

It never existed, and the only people who claimed that were anti-nuclear activists who claimed their existence would make it too easy to use them.

Even the smallest "ER" (enhanced radiation) bomb has a yield about like the Hiroshima bomb with that level of destructive power.

Why the Soviets activated the activist groups to protest them so much was because ER warheads would be significantly more effective against large-scale armored/mechnized military units than would standard nukes.

ER weapons would have made it possible to completely destroy a very large armored/mechanized unit in the field with a relatively small number of weapons, and with less (but not no) collateral damage.

The US had and deployed ER warheads in some anti-aircraft and ABM systems.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#48]
IIRC under Bush II the U.S. started a program to rebuild the nuclear bombs. Due to the radiation the electronics need to be replaced every so often and some of the radioactive material in the bombs needs to be re-processed and re-purified. And the NRC had forgotten how to do a couple of the steps in building nuclear weapons that had to be re-discovered and redeveloped. Looked for news stories about this, and didn't find much but did find the link below.

https://www.acq.osd.mil/ncbdp/nm/NMHB2020rev/chapters/chapter4.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#49]
A real problem in bomb maintenance was a classified material used as some kind of filler in the bomb, code named "Fogbank". It was a strange substance that had somewhat bizarre properties. All the workers and engineers that designed it had either died or retired. It literally had to be reinvented. A fusion bomb will not work properly without it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Element94:
A real problem in bomb maintenance was a classified material used as some kind of filler in the bomb, code named "Fogbank". It was a strange substance that had somewhat bizarre properties. All the workers and engineers that designed it had either died or retired. It literally had to be reinvented. A fusion bomb will not work properly without it.
View Quote

A thermonuclear can certainly work without it, just not one that was designed for it.

Hence the new design.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19726464-700-trident-missiles-delayed-by-mystery-ingredient/

https://www.twz.com/32867/fogbank-is-mysterious-material-used-in-nukes-thats-so-secret-nobody-can-say-what-it-is
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top