Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:28:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scratch45] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
Fenix 7
View Quote

I have a Fenix 7 Solar and love it.
Amazing

Like someone said, Apple for apps, Garmin for sports.

I got mine to support my backpacking addiction.   Best $700 (about) I ever spent
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:

It's not as big as my GPR B1000, and has way more features. My wife has pretty small wrists at 5 ft and 125 lbs
She loves it.
View Quote

Those are both hideous watches.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

That's not the best battery life. The Instinct Solar 2 has unlimited battery life, and even the original Instinct Solar was longer than 32 days.

Not that 32 is bad or anything.

OP I'd be looking at the Fenix 7. I have the 6X Pro Solar and love it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20231128_095601-3042872.jpg
View Quote

Which skin is that?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:32:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#4]
Originally Posted By mattellis2:

Which skin is that?

Thanks.
View Quote

Watch Face?

Mashakes Gearmin V3.

Best face there is if you're diabetic. The graph is my blood sugar and to the right of the time is my glucose, trend, and time since last update. Also has all the other standard fields like sunset, weather, heart rate, etc.

Can't live without it at this point. Been a huge improvement to my quality of life. Not having to look at my phone for my glucose is amazing.

Slightly better pic:

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:43:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#5]
Originally Posted By bradbradbrad:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's not as big as my GPR B1000, and has way more features. My wife has pretty small wrists at 5 ft and 125 lbs
She loves it.

They weren't made for fashion. They were made for function and toughness.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Venu 2.

It's OK, but I pretty much use it to only tell the time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife liked hers until she had to charge it every week.
Now she use a G Shock GPR-H1000. It has all the same features and is Solar and much more durable.
View Quote

Garmin makes solar.  I have beat mine up and it still runs.  They make decent watches.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a Fenix 5 (I think they're up to 7 now?) for going on 6 years.  It's a beast and I'll never use anything else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:20:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#9]
Still crunching 1 and 0s

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
I have never seen Garmin Pay available anywhere I have been, ever.
View Quote

My local hardware store has Garmin Pay. I found out accidentally when I went to pay and the watch notified me that the payment was complete.

I made sure to turn it off after that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Marq2 Adventurerer.

Mostly because I want to live vicariously through someone else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GreatWaputi:

I have my entire Spotify library on my Enduro 2. They also have Garmin pay if one was so inclined. The only advantage I see to an Apple watch is the ability to text from the watch, but no way I'd want to have to charge everyday.
View Quote

I don’t get the complaints about having to change an Apple Watch every day. Don’t you charge your phone every day?

I got an Ultra 2 a couple of months ago after having the regular Apple Watch for a few years. Longer battery life and ability to dive with it were the big attractions for the Ultra 2. Plus I like the bigger display. I got the ocean band with mine but it’s not the most comfortable for daily wear so I got a cheap knock off solo band on Amazon that’s very comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Watch Face?

Mashakes Gearmin V3.

Best face there is if you're diabetic. The graph is my blood sugar and to the right of the time is my glucose, trend, and time since last update. Also has all the other standard fields like sunset, weather, heart rate, etc.

Can't live without it at this point. Been a huge improvement to my quality of life. Not having to look at my phone for my glucose is amazing.

Slightly better pic:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000010319-3193123.jpg
View Quote

You got that monitor that goes on the upper arm connected?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking at the sizes of these watch I say skip the middle man and get garmin Foretrex 801 :)
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#15]
After having a 2 generations of Fenix and now an Apple watch ultra, there's really no comparison. AW wins in just about every category outside of battery, but I only charge it while showering each day and that's plenty. On top of all of the extra features with the AW you also get the most accurate sensors (heart, etc) on the market.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Non-solar is 28 days.  With solar is unlimited. To get unlimited, it needs an average of 3 hours a day of sunlight.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreatWaputi:

Every spec out there shows 28-days battery life for the Instinct Solar 2 in Smartwatch mode

Non-solar is 28 days.  With solar is unlimited. To get unlimited, it needs an average of 3 hours a day of sunlight.

I ditched my Apple Watch for an Instinct, mainly for the ridiculous battery life. I upgraded to the Instinct 2 solar tactical for a long back country trip and i regret nothing. With all the bells and whistles on, i get 10 days or so between charges. If i pare them down, the watch says 28 days, but runs almost forever.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I would get an Instinct / Fenix / Epix based on preferences and what you plan to use it for. I think the sapphire glass is worth it. Garming measures heart rate constantly, Apple Watch does not. Apple Watch isn’t close in regards to gps and heart rate monitoring.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Tactix 7 AMOLED a few weeks ago. Cool watch. Love the GPS tracking features and the flashlight. Big assed screen.

The Sleep tracking is not accurate. Even if I don’t wear the watch to bed it will make something up.

The stress meter thing is the same way.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:16:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kanin] [#19]
I've got the Venu 2 plus.

I can take and make phone calls on it, view my messages and notifications, dowload and play Spotify without my phone, and do all the usual tracking sports and measurements of heartbeat, steps, etc.

I can get about a week on a battery charge depending on how many activities I'm using the GPS for.

It also has a emergency feature to call 911 or whoever you want if you fall and get hurt.

Had it about 2 years now.  Love it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:26:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#20]
There is a Brit who got fit and he gives a fantastic opinion on Garmin and AU, he owns both. But, when it comes to all these sleep and fitness metrics, he kind of see's the light. Do you need a watch to tell you if you have slept well? Does a dog need a watch when it comes to exercise? Why do you? But, we are in the information age.

Originally Posted By Marie:

I don’t get the complaints about having to change an Apple Watch every day. Don’t you charge your phone every day?

I got an Ultra 2 a couple of months ago after having the regular Apple Watch for a few years. Longer battery life and ability to dive with it were the big attractions for the Ultra 2. Plus I like the bigger display. I got the ocean band with mine but it’s not the most comfortable for daily wear so I got a cheap knock off solo band on Amazon that’s very comfortable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

People want to bitch, though I will agree that the standard AW is a bit thin with battery life. You can get pretty good battery life if you don't fuck with the watch non-stop, texting, phone, etc. Literally, stick the thing on the charger while you are in the shower/etc in the morning, and a person is fine. They even make battery packs with contact charging for the AW/Ultra now. I wear analog automatic watches, I'm always having to wind one because I have set it down for a few days, or I haven't moved enough during the weekend to get it fully wound up (about 650 rotations per day for a Rolex/Tudor)... I could get a watch winder, but wow! I would have to, you know, put the watch on it, like, um, a charger.

What it comes down to, as I've said in this thread. The Apple is an urban/suburban watch, it is consumer electronics. The Garmin is what you get if you won't be able to charge for days or even weeks and don't want or need the cell/smartphone functions.

But, you have common sense and critical thinking skills... Most people go buy a Apple/Samsung smart watch, because, well, it's another gizmo.  
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
Looking at the sizes of these watch I say skip the middle man and get garmin Foretrex 801 :)

Exactly. My .mil friends were looking at me like I was an idiot when I was going on about the maps on the Garmin watch lol. BUT, I could see them being just useful AF if you hunt or go on a hike and get a little temporarily disoriented.

Apple needs to get on-watch maps, they have the memory for it, it is silly they don't have it. It's honestly stupid they don't, Garmin is their main competor in that market, to an extent.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#21]
What is AMOLED?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
What is AMOLED?
View Quote

Fancy screen tech. Its really rich and "juicy" compared to plain jane screens on watches.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I went down the rabbit hole a few months back. I knew nothing about smart watches.

Basically the garmin products have superior battery life and that tacticool look.

Apple ultra 2 is vastly superior for a lot of other shit. Wasn't sure I'd like it. Now, I wouldn't go back. Payments, not looking at phones in groups, marking where a car was, health info, all of it. It's awesome for a guy like me that has two phones to pack. So many features. Battery life is about 2.5 days. But use it a lot too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine has literally changed my life.  Seeing how drinking before bed effects my sleep has kept me from drinking as much,  tracking my training load dials in my work outs and i have adjusted my workouts more often.  It gives motivation and great insight into how my body reacts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:36:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#25]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
What is AMOLED?
View Quote

A more power efficient version of OLED. Basically, the watch looks like your smartphone. Garmin's AMOLED display is stunning and the difference in quality between it and the MIP is drastic, especially when you use the maps, but you pay for it in battery life.

Burn in can also be an issue, though it's not something to get wound up about.

This guy actually has a good, honest, normal person view of the G vs AW(U), he's also really funny and blunt in most of his videos. He brings up valid points about all the BS these watches are pushing that people believe they HAVE to have.
Apple Watch Ultra V Garmin Fenix - After SIX Months

*Not really a normal person, because he's not fat, but he used to be fat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Fancy screen tech. Its really rich and "juicy" compared to plain jane screens on watches.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I've owned and use a Garmin fenx 5 for five years. Dive, hike, travel works great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
51mm epix pro master race here…so many great features
More so if signed up for the beta test list…
Battery for me lasts about 32 days
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#29]

You got that monitor that goes on the upper arm connected?
View Quote

Correct. I use a setup known as NightScout.

Life changing. Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:
I went down the rabbit hole a few months back. I knew nothing about smart watches.

Basically the garmin products have superior battery life and that tacticool look.

Apple ultra 2 is vastly superior for a lot of other shit. Wasn't sure I'd like it. Now, I wouldn't go back. Payments, not looking at phones in groups, marking where a car was, health info, all of it. It's awesome for a guy like me that has two phones to pack. So many features. Battery life is about 2.5 days. But use it a lot too.
View Quote

“Vastly superior”? What is it better at?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#31]

View All Quotes

She loves it.

I wasn't going to comment but I decided to look them up. HOLY SHIT they are gigantic and they ARE gaudy looking. Ewwwww.

Garmin watches are still durable, feature rich, etc and they still look like a halfway decent and normal watch.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThornBooger] [#32]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
The one Apple makes.

Seriously.

I ran all the Garmin products in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. primarily for being able (at the time) to up/download waypoint files and for MGRS coords.

Still have a Garmin (Tactix C) but really wish I had the Apple Watch for its superior capabilities.
View Quote
I feel the exact opposite. I had an Apple Ultra 2 watch, sold it after 2 months and bought a Garmin Epix Pro 2 and couldn't be happier. Apple males lifestyle products with some cool features, garmin has made gps/outdoors/adventure tech forever. I had to charge my Apple watch every other day. I charge my garmin once every 3-3.5 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

View Quote

Yeah that is a suspicious comment.

I know exactly zero serious health nuts that use Apple.

Every triathlete, marathoner, cyclist, and hiker I know uses Garmin, with zero exceptions.

I'd be curious to hear how it's vastly superior as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jb31:

Garmin makes solar.  I have beat mine up and it still runs.  They make decent watches.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jb31:
My wife liked hers until she had to charge it every week.
Now she use a G Shock GPR-H1000. It has all the same features and is Solar and much more durable.

My wife wore one for two years until she had to charge it every few days. Her G Shock is getting over three weeks without a charge.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#35]
This is my most expensive and most-used flashlight.

Attachment Attached File

I use it every damn day. Usually at night when I get up to piss in a strange hotel room.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

This is my most expensive and most-used flashlight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/1000009292_jpg-3193432.JPG

I use it every damn day. Usually at night when I get up to piss in a strange hotel room.
View Quote
Yeah, I REALLY wish the Fenix 6 series had the flashlight feature.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I like mine.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NukeThemTillTheyGlow] [#38]
Originally Posted By Efl15:
I have a Fenix 5 that is still working since I got it around 2018. If it were to break, I'd get a Fenix 7.
View Quote
I'm the same, I've had a F5 since they came out, guessing 2017-2018 timeframe.  Love it.  Have the metal bracelet and went all in on Garmin bike computer, sensors, rear radar/light and front light.  I use the chest strap during every workout and have great data and love the app.  Battery life is diminishing and not ready to drop the $ at the moment, but probably look for holiday or black friday deals on a F7 Pro Solar.   I'm aware of the Tactix, but what is the diff from the F7 Pro Solar?
ETA: I'm an Android guy, love my most recent S24 Ultra so no AW for me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
The one Apple makes.

Seriously.

I ran all the Garmin products in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. primarily for being able (at the time) to up/download waypoint files and for MGRS coords.

Still have a Garmin (Tactix C) but really wish I had the Apple Watch for its superior capabilities.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Are any of these titanium by any chance?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#42]

The Fenix is titanium/plastic/silicone depending on model.

The Quatix is titanium.

Not sure of the others.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, the Garmin stuff does look better. There's no question about that.

I really wanted to like the Garmin watches. But for five bucks a month through T-Mobile my watch is a phone if I want it to be. I don't have to download anything because it streams when I go for a walk or run and I wanna listen to a podcast. It does all the health monitoring that I want. It does all the sleep data that I want. Main reason I got it was for activity monitoring.

I think for a lot of people the Garmin is probably the clear choice. For me and my use case, Ultra 2 to was the way to go.

Lots of great choices these days. Get the one that fits your needs and wants.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Every triathlete, marathoner, cyclist, and hiker I know uses Garmin, with zero exceptions.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

Well, to be honest, I'm not a triathlete. I'm not that guy. The ultra two does a lot of stuff that the Garmin won't. I'm a huge Garmin fan, I've been buying Garmin products for a long damn time.

I don't climb the highest mountains or swim oceans.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
If battery life is most important get the fenix 7 pro or tactix.  If you want it to have a bright screen but only a few weeks battery get the epix.
View Quote

Actually, if battery life is what you seek, then the Garmin Intinct Pro 2X Solar Tactical is what you seek.  It's capable of adding days onto the battery charge through exposure to the sun.  The Fenix 7 solar can add a little time w/ solar, but not close to the Instinct Pro 2X Solar.  With the Pro 2X you do lose the color touch screen, music, and more detailed GPS map (Pro 2X has GPS tracking).

I have held off pulling the trigger on a Garmin watch b/c I don't want anything that has to be charged by being plugged in.  While you can plug in the Intinct Pro 2X w/ it's solar capabilities it's not necessary.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Indict 2X Solar

Even has a built in flashlight with about a month battery life
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I love the solar instinct I’ve had for a few years.  I get points redeemable for rewards for health stuff through my company. If I wear my watch to bes for sleep tracking, I  literally get paid in gift cards. I can sleep about $300 a year.

I want a Fenix but I’m too cheap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
Mine has literally changed my life.  Seeing how drinking before bed effects my sleep has kept me from drinking as much,  tracking my training load dials in my work outs and i have adjusted my workouts more often.  It gives motivation and great insight into how my body reacts.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well around Smart watches. The data they generate for the user is pretty incredible If a person needs data or health monitoring. I wasn't sure I would like it, but after having a smart watch, I would never go back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:

Well, to be honest, I'm not a triathlete. I'm not that guy. The ultra two does a lot of stuff that the Garmin won't. I'm a huge Garmin fan, I've been buying Garmin products for a long damn time.

I don't climb the highest mountains or swim oceans.
View Quote

What does it do that makes it vastly superior for you?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#50]
That video was one of the ones that actually kind of pushed me over the edge toward my decision.

I think there are a lot of people out there that have some very good reasons for whichever way they go. The Garmin watches are dead sexy there's no question about that.
Page / 3
Garmin smart watches (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top