BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ske714:

Is your avatar a picture of one of your landings?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Hold a 15 degree angle of attack, regardless of rate of descent or power level required. Eject if needed.

That's what Falcon 3.0 and 4.0 taught me.

Kharn

Is your avatar a picture of one of your landings?

That was my first attempt, how did you know?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Get one of those ballistic recovery parachutes and never worry about landing again!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

Great point -- another task pilots of all skill levels are challenged by.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
One thing with peripheral vision is recognizing the runway you are landing at.  Where I flew out of our runway was 200' wide but we did pattern work out of has a 75' runway.  When I put it down back at the home patch the first time I flared rather high and punished the runway.  

Great point -- another task pilots of all skill levels are challenged by.

I remember my first landing at Manfield, Ohio airport. C-130 base and just long enough for the shuttle to land. I though I would be better off landing across he runway in my 172 it was so long
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Hold a 15 degree angle of attack, regardless of rate of descent or power level required. Eject if needed.

Kharn
View Quote

AOA on-speed is the standard methodology of flying final in a 4th gen fighter, so you're only capturing half of what's required. In the T-38 and Eagle we also manually computed backup speeds based on fuel and external stores weight.

The "power for glidepath, pitch for airspeed" mantra is only for lightweight non-swept-wing aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By memory_leak:
my favorite landing video AF vs Navy

maybe try the navy method
View Quote

In fairness to the Navy guys, the runway isn't moving at 35knots, heaving up and down, and tilting side-to-side for the Air Force guys.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:
In fairness to the Navy guys, the runway isn't moving at 35knots, heaving up and down, and tilting side-to-side for the Air Force guys.
View Quote

How cute when they have to turn the airfield into the wind for you.

When the winner of a war is determined by who can land on a boat the best, the USN is really going to kick ass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]

When the winner of a war is determined by who can land on a boat the best, the USN is really going to kick ass.
View All Quotes

Lol!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogsplat] [#8]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:

Landing a 172 with a variable and strong crosswind is more bowel movement and “holy shit I’m so glad to be on the ground right now.”

At least it was for me the first time I dealt with it
View Quote

I put a 172 in a cornfield back in the early 90s.

Soloing doing touch n goes right before I got my loicense.

Pro tip- as the nose wheel hots the ground, you need to straighten that badboy out.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Pro tip- as the before the nose wheel hots the ground, you need to straighten that badboy out.

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Pro tip- as the nose wheel hots the ground, you need to straighten that badboy out.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By billytehbob:

Landing a 172 with a variable and strong crosswind is more bowel movement and “holy shit I’m so glad to be on the ground right now.”

At least it was for me the first time I dealt with it

Reason #87 why tail wheels are better.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

You know this is a good point. Company I retired from hired a former navy E-2 pilot and I recall flying with him early on. He struggled with landing during high crosswinds.

One day I just asked him and he said much the same thing. It’s real easy when they turn the airport into the wind for you.

I had a good laugh.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ranxerox911] [#12]

View All Quotes

Lol.  You're questioning the practicality of it, when you should be questioning the sanity.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Like docking a boat after you calm your nerves.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

I think it’s the Only way.    Not so much a suggestion, but a rule.  

Practice slow flight until you’re comfortable in that regime.  Do side slips while doing MCA.  Both directions. Get comfortable with it.  Remember what it sounds like and looks like.  It’ll be the same in landing.
If you have a home sim with rudders, it might even help to do this at home.  

Also, have your airspeed on short final precisely the same each time, and give it that last shot of trim so the yoke is neutral.  

The long runway “hover taxi” exercise is useful if you have a long runway available.   The judicious use of power can make all your landings good, but that’s kinda advanced, and relying on it as a crutch might be negative transfer of learning in the long term.   It’s impossible to give you solid advice without seeing what you’re actually doing.  

In landing, Pitch controls airspeed, Power controls altitude. Thats how you have to think about it.  Repeat it to yourself on final.
View Quote

I've never flown a tricycle/nose wheel before, so almost all the planes I've flown require you to look out the side. I think flying landing attitude down a runway at landing speed 1' off the ground would probably help get the point across.

Regarding the OP's problem, it would be helpful to know what kind of issue he is having?

Seems like a lot of time to be struggling with landings, I wonder if the instruction you are receiving is a bit lacking. I was solo in under 10hrs in a tail dragger, no doubt due to my instructor being on the ball to criticize my bad inputs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Been a while for me, but my goal was always a power off landing with the goal of keeping the plane 6" off the runway and right at a stall for as long as possible.  This and look long.  Although I learned in a high wing (152 or 172), I think time in the 152 is what really got me to be consistently good at landings.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Bounce that fucker. I did.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Iamhere:
Bounce that fucker. I did.
View Quote

You don't get to count each bounce as a landing in your logbook.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#18]
He put the gear up instead of flaps!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:57:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#19]
Originally Posted By TimeOnTarget:
I just let the autopilot do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db3fsL870aI
View Quote

Exactly this.. I don’t get paid extra to pull back on the yolk.

Work smarter, not harder..
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]

AOA on-speed is the standard methodology of flying final in a 4th gen fighter, so you're only capturing half of what's required. In the T-38 and Eagle we also manually computed backup speeds based on fuel and external stores weight.

The "power for glidepath, pitch for airspeed" mantra is only for lightweight non-swept-wing aircraft.
View All Quotes

Kharn

I was flying with unlimited ammo, unlimited fuel, unlimited countermeasures, no landing damage, and 25 years ago. I might've forgotten some details.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Uwohali_Agadoli:

I've never flown a tricycle/nose wheel before, so almost all the planes I've flown require you to look out the side. I think flying landing attitude down a runway at landing speed 1' off the ground would probably help get the point across.

Regarding the OP's problem, it would be helpful to know what kind of issue he is having?

Seems like a lot of time to be struggling with landings, I wonder if the instruction you are receiving is a bit lacking. I was solo in under 10hrs in a tail dragger, no doubt due to my instructor being on the ball to criticize my bad inputs.
View All Quotes

Practice slow flight until you’re comfortable in that regime.  Do side slips while doing MCA.  Both directions. Get comfortable with it.  Remember what it sounds like and looks like.  It’ll be the same in landing.

Also, have your airspeed on short final precisely the same each time, and give it that last shot of trim so the yoke is neutral.  

The long runway “hover taxi” exercise is useful if you have a long runway available.   The judicious use of power can make all your landings good, but that’s kinda advanced, and relying on it as a crutch might be negative transfer of learning in the long term.   It’s impossible to give you solid advice without seeing what you’re actually doing.  

In landing, Pitch controls airspeed, Power controls altitude. Thats how you have to think about it.  Repeat it to yourself on final.

I’ve flown some tw but it was a long time ago.   Do most tail draggers require you to use a different technique where you look out the side?  
That was nothing I ever heard, read or taught.  

Maybe some big radial engines and the Spirit of SaintLois.    

It’s a topic for a different thread.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I could land any plane ever made, once.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#23]

I’ve flown some tw but it was a long time ago.   Do most tail draggers require you to use a different technique where you look out the side?  

View All Quotes

Flying my Champ from the back seat, I lose the view down the runway, which made me realize I don't really use that view anyway.  I think looking down the runway, rather than at it, is just a way to make you use your peripheral vision.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Started with the old taildraggers where the pilot sat in the back and the passenger sat up front (where the difference between having a passenger, or an empty seat, would have less impact on the CG).  Since the pilot sat so far back, coming in at anything close to a three-point pitch angle meant that the nose blocked your view down the runway if you kept the fuselage lined up with the runway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

That’s a great clip, love it!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Different from what, tricycle? Some taildraggers I imagine you could look over the top and down the runway. I think I probably could have in the Stinson, at least right before all 3 wheels touched down, but I never tried. Flying the Fleet from the backseat there is absolutely no option to look forward, radial and front seat/fuselage block that option.

Rereading the OP, it sounds like he is much too nose down. You should be in your landing AOA before you hit ground effect. The other poster mentioning this and using power to control descent is correct.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By markmars:
https://i.imgflip.com/ihjt4.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#28]

View Quote

I am not going to say the Navy way is better in that video and that it was a good landing......but I am looking for the videos of the AF landing on a carrier on a regular bases in flight school......so far I have not found them.....

Carrier landings are unforgiving if you miss the tail hook aspect of it.  Some of the training they get is a bit different.

ETA....beat
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Different from what, tricycle? Some taildraggers I imagine you could look over the top and down the runway. I think I probably could have in the Stinson, at least right before all 3 wheels touched down, but I never tried. Flying the Fleet from the backseat there is absolutely no option to look forward, radial and front seat/fuselage block that option.

Rereading the OP, it sounds like he is much too nose down. You should be in your landing AOA before you hit ground effect. The other poster mentioning this and using power to control descent is correct.
View All Quotes

Landing AOA is at or near stall.  You probably don't want to be there at 15 or 20 feet above the ground.

As someone else said, hold it just off the runway until it quits flying.  That's what puts you at the correct AOA at touchdown.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I like this thread!  Once you get the 'concept', it will apply to many different makes and models. Spring steel gear acts a little different from oleos. ;)   DO get a tailwheel endorsement, it will be intimidating at first but gratifying.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Landing AOA is at or near stall.  You probably don't want to be there at 15 or 20 feet above the ground.

As someone else said, hold it just off the runway until it quits flying.  That's what puts you at the correct AOA at touchdown.
View Quote

That would depend if you have power on or off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:14:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitulu] [#32]

View Quote

No.

Not only no, but FUCK no!

Replacing the packings on a blown out NLG strut on a 172 is a PITA.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m going to be the jerk here.
Some people have it, others don’t.
I soloed at 8 hours. I never had an issue. It was just easy to me. I had friends in pilot training that just couldn’t do the three dimensional movements.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

No.

Not only no, but [i][FUCK/i] no!

View Quote

Not to mention bent firewalls.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

I am not going to say the Navy way is better in that video and that it was a good landing......but I am looking for the videos of the AF landing on a carrier on a regular bases in flight school......so far I have not found them.....

Carrier landings are unforgiving if you miss the tail hook aspect of it.  Some of the training they get is a bit different.

ETA....beat
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

ETA....beat

I forget where I read about it, but back when Navy planes were all taildraggers with radial engines, one of the forms of entertainment at Navy airfields was to watch a squadron land after returning from a carrier tour at sea.  With it being their first time landing on something other than a carrier in quite a while, there apparently was high odds that at least one individual in the squadron would screw things up in a spectacular way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Taildragger:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Taildragger:
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

No.

Not only no, but [i][FUCK/i] no!

I have seen that on twins.  Slam it on the runway hard enough, and the weight of those engines is going to cause something to give.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:33:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#37]

So pilot guys. How the heck did WW2 pilots safely taxi, not run into anything; when the nose was pointed way up in the air?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

What would?  Stall AOA doesn't care whether or not you have power on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
https://cdn.britannica.com/24/48324-050-FE5B13DD/P-47-Thunderbolt-World-War-II.jpg

So pilot guys. How the heck did WW2 pilots safely taxi, not run into anything; when the nose was pointed way up in the air?
View Quote

Zigzag
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Zigzag
View All Quotes
https://cdn.britannica.com/24/48324-050-FE5B13DD/P-47-Thunderbolt-World-War-II.jpg

Zigzag

That's what I thought, or was told before. But wasn't sure if it was true.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Wait until night landings. Lol. Your depth perception gets totally fucked then.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#42]
If AI is so great, lets put it in the cockpit for smoother landings. You should still know how to do it though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Zigzag

I've seen a video of them taxiing with a ground crew member sitting on each wing, out near the wingtip.  The two guys on the wings were apparently giving the pilot hand signals while keeping an eye on what was in front of the plane.  I don't know how common that method was, though.  Other than that video, I've always heard (and seen, a few times) that the zigzag method of taxiing is used.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here. You can absolutely fly a higher angle of attack with power on, than off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

By weaving back and forth with the rudder, so they could look out along the side of the nose.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#46]
The assault strip at Little Rock AFB is like 3000x60.  Landing a C-130 on that thing at night on NVGs was sporty.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jetpig] [#47]
When I use to instruct I made my students fly as absolutely slow as they could get the plane 1-2 feet off the runway all the way down the runway terminating with a go-around.  Lots of times they would touch down multiple times.  
Couple flights later. Now if you do touch down close the throttle.  Boom.  Buddy you just landed.
Trick to a good landing is to not let the plane land until it wants to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Landing is a poor way to describe what you are actually trying to accomplish.  It means nothing other than the airplane has touched the ground.

Lets go with something you can actually aim for and when you get it right it creates a " landing " that is about as good as it could possibly be.   Forget about the touch down itself,  you don't care,  it doesn't matter.  Your goal is the keep the airplane from hitting the ground at about two to three feet off, now that you are there make sure the throttle is at idle and don't let it hit the ground,  perfect nose up main gear landing nearly all the time.   You have an actual goal now,  keep the airplane from hitting the ground at idle power.

This is your mantra,  don't let it hit the ground.  

If you get a little balloon because you pulled on the yoke too quickly ease it off a bit and add some throttle to reset your glide speed.  Just pull the throttle back to idle when you are happy.

If my students really had a problem we'd go over to McClellan and practice flying 2 feet off the ground just above stall for the whole 10k foot runway.  One hour long session of that was all anybody ever needed with me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#49]

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here. You can absolutely fly a higher angle of attack with power on, than off.
View All Quotes

AOA is what determines when a wing stalls.  Power has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Plane is one of 2 Archer or Warrior, mostly the Warrior.

Landings aren't consistent one time you can't tell it is on the ground next one hammers the gear. Usually, first one of the day is near perfect the rest are hit and miss.

He wants the RPM at around 1400 after turning base but I can vairy it a little if I need to. He has never suggested dropping to idle.

Like the idea of holding it just off the runway as practice it's long enough at 6k feet. Might suggest that and see if the CFI will allow it.  

Do wear progressive but had a set of bifocals made with the line higher. Haven't used them yet, will next week.

Just started looking down the runway a couple lessons ago when CFI suggested it. Not sure why he didn't sooner if that's the best way.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top