Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Today I learned this was CP. I thought this was legit the first time I read it.
View Quote

It's totally legit, we've all been there bruh.  Also, page 2.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:

I'm still amazed that there are millions of Americans that actually believe that there is an all powerful entity at the center of the universe that can read their minds from billions of light years away.
View Quote

It's not THAT amazing.

The world around you is rife with the evidence of social conditioning by various people and organizations. Religion and the worship of gods is just another result of that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
How's this for logic.

How can you say there is no god with any certainly when we can already create our own universes with direct parallels to our own?

We can step in and out of time at will, exert forces or changes in physics or the "impossible" from outside that universe, and can be completely unobservable from with that universe.

We can create worlds with thousands of years of history.  Change lifespans, flood the world, etc.

It's not logical to conclude that there is no god.  Agnostic perhaps, but certainly not the atheist viewpoint.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thoughts are neural activity.
Logic is a particular type of thought.
Logic and math are true because they can't be false.
1+2=3 has to be true given the definitions of 1,2,3,+ and =

google self evident truth

Very, very few religious people explicitly reject the truth of basic logic and math.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By thepantydropper:
If logic is merely atoms colliding inside of your brain (brain fizz), how can you trust that random collision of atoms is geared at any sort of truth?

It would seem that as an Atheist, you would be unable to trust your own thoughts.

I’ve used the google but found no good answer to this question.

What say the Atheists here?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
So you're saying any intelligent thought you have is a divine intervention from God? Scary.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:
One day when I was like 8 on the way home from baseball practice, a group of older special needs people showed up at the Burger King we were eating at. One middle aged mentally challenged guy was walking past our booth as we were eating and he stops and the foot of our table and looks at my dad dead in the eye and says "HIIIIIIII".

Now, I'm utterly at a loss for words. My dad isn't exactly the most politely spoken man in the world and isn't above making fun of people for their shortcomings. I'm half scared, half curious how my dad is going to respond to him.

My dad is literally chewing on his Whopper when this happens. He puts it down and turns to the guy and with no emotion on his face says "HI" and waves to him. The mentally challenged man was super happy about that and got a little smile and walked away.

My dad picks his Whopper back up and takes a bite, no emotion, like nothing just happened. He takes a bite and then says to me, "Son, you always have to be nice to the retards", and goes back to finish his Whopper. He was 100% serious. I don't think I said anything for the next 10 minutes.

And that lesson has stuck with me ever since. Which is why I'm not going to make a comment about your post.
View Quote
If that is oc, then..

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
One day when I was like 8 on the way home from baseball practice, a group of older special needs people showed up at the Burger King we were eating at. One middle aged mentally challenged guy was walking past our booth as we were eating and he stops and the foot of our table and looks at my dad dead in the eye and says "HIIIIIIII".

Now, I'm utterly at a loss for words. My dad isn't exactly the most politely spoken man in the world and isn't above making fun of people for their shortcomings. I'm half scared, half curious how my dad is going to respond to him.

My dad is literally chewing on his Whopper when this happens. He puts it down and turns to the guy and with no emotion on his face says "HI" and waves to him. The mentally challenged man was super happy about that and got a little smile and walked away.

My dad picks his Whopper back up and takes a bite, no emotion, like nothing just happened. He takes a bite and then says to me, "Son, you always have to be nice to the retards", and goes back to finish his Whopper. He was 100% serious. I don't think I said anything for the next 10 minutes.

And that lesson has stuck with me ever since. Which is why I'm not going to make a comment about your post.
View Quote

I'm flattered my real life story I shared has become a copypasta.

Even more hilarious is the guy who got offended by it.

The best satires are the ones the offended don't get
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jonny762:
If that is oc, then..

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif
View Quote
Damn, I'm taking my cheers back! Still the first time I saw that, and was worth the snort.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

A copypasta answered with another copypasta?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sierra-def:
Originally Posted By Inneedofhelp:

This is the kind of shitty, passive aggressive, subtle, and may cross into the territory of being verbal abuse kind of comment some people love to make.  You have to be nice to a retard, but you're a retard, all said without actually saying it out loud, bravo, with the passive aggressiveness that would make my own father proud.  He was verbally abusive, it's the worst kind of abuse there is, out of the three, physical, verbal and sexual, and I'm pretty sure his attitude rubbed off on me, judging from the verbal abuse I'm slinging in my post.

A copypasta answered with another copypasta?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]
law of identity, law of non-contradiction, and law of the excluded middle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
Atom collisions...

I'm not an atheist, but OP clearly don't have a clue how the brain works and is not doing the argument for "faith" any favors.
View Quote

OP has no clue at all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
If logic is merely atoms colliding inside of your brain ...
View Quote

A bad premise cannot kick off a valid logical argument in favor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If logic is merely atoms colliding inside of your brain (brain fizz), how can you trust that random collision of atoms is geared at any sort of truth?

It would seem that as an Atheist, you would be unable to trust your own thoughts.

View Quote
100% trolling.  Nobody says something this stupid on accident.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Those random colliding atoms have created nuclear fission, rockets that launched a man on the moon, skyscrapers and computers (among other things).  While it is not incorrect to question one's conclusions it is misguided to underestimate logical conclusions.  If OP wants to cast doubt on the conclusions of atheists he should apply his own "logic" and question his own thoughts on religion...

FYI:  I am an agnostic and question both the existence of god as well as those who deny god's existence.  I admit to not knowing...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By madcap3k:
How's this for logic.

How can you say there is no god with any certainly when we can already create our own universes with direct parallels to our own?

We can step in and out of time at will, exert forces or changes in physics or the "impossible" from outside that universe, and can be completely unobservable from with that universe.

We can create worlds with thousands of years of history.  Change lifespans, flood the world, etc.

It's not logical to conclude that there is no god.  Agnostic perhaps, but certainly not the atheist viewpoint.

View Quote
We, uh, can?
Like in Minecraft?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait..... So, the thoughts in my head are gods fault? Well that explains a lot of shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m an atheist

You guys ask the goofiest questions

Swear to God
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#20]
In my opinion, working logic is a gift and available to everyone unless impaired.

Welcome to the machine.
Have a wonderful stay.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Flawless

Absolutely flawless

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: victorgonzales] [#22]
Those who don't believe in sky dad don't need some kind of faith based truth.  The brain stores information as we interpret it and we recall information as needed.  Nothing to really ponder about that.  We come to the same truth as anyone else. What you can observe compared to what information you have stored.  

A better question is how do those with sky dad faith see religion as truth with absolutely zero physical evidence.

ETA: I see my truth as compared to my hard drive information (brain). Are you seeing truth as something coming from the heavenly cloud network or something?  Not sure what exactly you are asking
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:30:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#23]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
Those who don't believe in sky dad don't need some kind of faith based truth.  The brain stores information as we interpret it and we recall information as needed.  Nothing to really ponder about that.  We come to the same truth as anyone else. What you can observe compared to what information you have stored.  

A better question is how do those with sky dad faith see religion as truth with absolutely zero physical evidence.

ETA: I see my truth as compared to my hard drive information (brain). Are you seeing truth as something coming from the heavenly cloud network or something?  Not sure what exactly you are asking
View Quote

There is historical evidence whether real or purported.

Using the scientific community in some cases to dictate the parameters such as carbon dating for example as well.

How much evidence supports and how much doesn't is the name of the game here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#24]
As atheists who believe in science, we can't hold anything as completely 100% true, only that most of the evidence supports a conclusion, but that conclusion is subject to change pending new evidence.

We can make reasonable conclusions about our thoughts if other reasonable people come to the same conclusion.  If 90 out of 100 people come to the sane conclusion about some "thought" given the appropriate evidence, then we can lend credence to that idea.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SAE:

Using the scientific community in some cases to dictate the parameters such as carbon dating as well.

View Quote

I'm sure many biblical figures were real people or based on them.  They are stories written by men. Probably based on something. I tend to believe they are just ancient supersticions for the most part with some real named figures from the past sprinkled in.

I mean there's no physical evidence of a hands on deity that many religions are based on. I think it's easier to trust data than lack of.it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#26]

I'm sure many biblical figures were real people or based on them.  They are stories written by men. Probably based on something. I tend to believe they are just ancient supersticions for the most part with some real named figures from the past sprinkled in.

I mean there's no physical evidence of a hands on deity that many religions are based on. I think it's easier to trust data than lack of.it.
View All Quotes

Using the scientific community in some cases to dictate the parameters such as carbon dating as well.

Yet, without contention, virtually everything at one time was unknown to man until circumstances dictated a discovery.

This is science or at least in part.

Just monkeys singularly evolving in the woods? My logic says that I rather think not.

However, your assertion is possible as well and needs to be understood exactly the way that it is just like that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:

View Quote

Oh that's even better
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Yet, without contention, virtually everything at one time was unknown to man until circumstances dictated a discovery.

Just monkeys evolving in the woods? My logic says that I rather think not.

However, your assertion is possible as well and needs to be understood exactly the way that it is just like that.
View All Quotes

Is your logic a different version from actual logic?  I know in threads like this folks like to make up their own definitions to words like "theory", "hypothesis", insert any other scientific term here, and somehow think they are just as valid as the actual definitions of those words.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#30]

There is historical evidence whether real or purported....
View All Quotes

There is historical evidence whether real or purported....
If evidence is "purported", then it isn't evidence. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

...Using the scientific community in some cases to dictate the parameters such as carbon dating for example as well...
No idea what you're trying to say here, but if you can make it clear I'll respond.

Yes, that is all science does, collect qualitative and quantitative empirical evidence. That evidence either supports or counters theories. Science never "proves" anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cedjunior:

Is your logic a different version from actual logic?  I know in threads like this folks like to make up their own definitions to words like "theory", "hypothesis", insert any other scientific term here, and somehow think they are just as valid as the actual definitions of those words.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cedjunior:

Does it sound like it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh here is a microbiology question:

In multicellular organisms:  What is the mechanism that initiates development of the daughter centriole, and what prompts the two centrioles to begin moving to opposite sides of the cell?

hint: It isnt r motor proteins or endoplasmic reticulum
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Seems like just another take on the "atheists can't have morals" post
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DCPhoenix:
We're all born atheistic.

Most of the time you're the religion that you were brought up in, or the local area. Weird huh?

Being atheist isn't a religion or an even a choice. It's just not believing in a thing that there's no evidence for.

View Quote

I would argue that atheism is actually a secular religion that believes in an extremely long series of extremely unlikely random events, but in which the extremely common random catastrophic events that should co-exist within such a system are for some reason not occurring. This requires a very large leap of faith, especially considering true random doesn't even exist. Some things are just too complicated for us to accurately predict, so we call them random, even though they actually are not. I'm not arguing that any religion is correct, but merely that atheism is actually a religion, and is probably not correct either.

No matter what you believe, you can never fully trust your thoughts, or anyone else's. We have a limited view of the world, our minds are influenced by many factors, and we have limited knowledge of those influences.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I read the first sentence and knew that we had a new copypasta….
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:

View Quote

Serious?   That was an awesome story.  It's perfect.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mancat:
Seems like just another take on the "atheists can't have morals" post
View Quote

No, his main achievement is to take that a step further to "atheists can't have thought, it's all just random coincidence."
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By migradog:

How come we've never seen monkeys praying?
View Quote

Because they are smarter than us, and dont hope inanimate beings will “save” them?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GWION:
Oh here is a microbiology question:

In multicellular organisms:  What is the mechanism that initiates development of the daughter centriole, and what prompts the two centrioles to begin moving to opposite sides of the cell?

hint: It isnt r motor proteins or endoplasmic reticulum
View Quote
Jehovah, Heathen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#40]
You know that crazy guy (J.C.) that used to call up and harass Art Bell all the time?  I think that's who OP is...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By KYLiberty:

I would argue that atheism is actually a secular religion that believes in an extremely long series of extremely unlikely random events, but in which the extremely common random catastrophic events that should co-exist within such a system are for some reason not occurring. This requires a very large leap of faith, especially considering true random doesn't even exist. Some things are just too complicated for us to accurately predict, so we call them random, even though they actually are not. I'm not arguing that any religion is correct, but merely that atheism is actually a religion, and is probably not correct either.

No matter what you believe, you can never fully trust your thoughts, or anyone else's. We have a limited view of the world, our minds are influenced by many factors, and we have limited knowledge of those influences.
View Quote
Natural selection is the opposite of "random".

And atheism is the opposite of religion. It has no belief in or worship of gods or anything supernatural.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#42]
How's this for logic.

View Quote
Can you give us an example of anyone "stepping in and out of time", or changing physics, or doing anything impossible, or creating worlds?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#43]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
Can you give us an example of anyone "stepping in and out of time", or changing physics, or doing anything impossible, or creating worlds?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rodent:
How's this for logic.

The Biblical Scriptures say that God did or He is or was an absolute fraud or never had existed at all.

The Koran lies about Jesus of Nazareth as well.

They knew who He was too.

At first they laid no claim to Jerusalem because they knew what happened there and they were afraid to do any such thing.

They had no problem with it.

This would be up to you to interpret young Captain.

You have done a wonderful job up and to this point.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Pretty embarrassing for religious folks if they need to rely on undermining the validity of logic per se to maintain their faith.

That said, this is firstly a question of, can you trust any of your logically derived beliefs, religious or otherwise? Can you trust anything? Not limited to belief in a higher being.

I would say, while I generally hang my hat on logic, it's becoming less and less clear that logic is 100% infallible. Logic would say that the cat in the box is either dead or it is alive, but in a quantum world, the cat is both dead and alive until you open the box and see it. The quantum world undermines what we have come to understand to be incontrovertible truth thus far, just as Newtonian physics was undermined by Einsteinian physics.

Beyond that, consider that the logic in my dreams seems perfectly sound right up until I awaken. I am relying on that logic and its assumptions throughout the dream and believe it to be true and sound. When we wake up from this life we live now, will today's logic and its assumptions still be sound and true? Dreams within dreams, and it all seems very logical.

In the end, your mind's task throughout life is to make sense of what it perceives, and in doing this, it accumulates rules and assumptions along the way. We've built a logical outlook on the world that most would agree upon, but do "we" really exist, or is it yet just another dream? Hard to prove one way or another.

I think therefore I am. I think I can count on this. Beyond that, not sure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#45]
How do you know someone is telling the truth when they claim to be a prophet?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
How do you know someone is telling the truth when they claim to be a prophet?
View Quote

Do you think someone would ever LIE about that?!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I’ll try to articulate my thoughts more clearly.

As a theist, I believe that God created me in his image, giving me purpose and meaning in life.

The atheist believes they are a cosmic accident. Here through a random evolutionary process that never had them in mind. If anything, their mind would be geared at survival not truth.

An ample analogy might be this. Imagine walking into a room and finding a computer. It has no designer and came to exist by random chance. Would you trust its output?

Yet the atheist trusts their own brain to formulate logical
conclusions? Why?

Regarding atoms, thoughts occur as a result of interactions of molecules, which are complex arrangements of atoms.

How can an atheist claim their brain fizz is “right” and an opposing brain fizz is “wrong?”

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OscarD] [#48]
Originally Posted By Inneedofhelp:

This is the kind of shitty, passive aggressive, subtle, and may cross into the territory of being verbal abuse kind of comment some people love to make.  You have to be nice to a retard, but you're a retard, all said without actually saying it out loud, bravo, with the passive aggressiveness that would make my own father proud.  He was verbally abusive, it's the worst kind of abuse there is, out of the three, physical, verbal and sexual, and I'm pretty sure his attitude rubbed off on me, judging from the verbal abuse I'm slinging in my post.
View Quote

This pasta is fresh and delicious.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:
Fortunately for the ancient Greeks, they had many gods.
View Quote

As did the Babylonians and the much earlier Sumerians.

Their  “gods” were in fact ancient alien humanoids called the Annunaki. “Annunaki” means “those who came from heaven to earth.”
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#50]
LoL

Self-righteous thepantydropper thread.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top