Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Dont BMW owners have to pay a subscription fee for the driveway low oil indicator stain?
View Quote

Fuck BMW. I put a guage in mine since there's no dipstick and the electronic indicator takes a few minutes to give you a result.
That minute or two cost me an engine.
I do know quit a bit about the N54 now and it's way faster than it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]

That problem was solved a long time ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:

Subarus have Boxer engines.

The head gaskets are a known weak spot in the engineering of certain models years.

They pull the engine, seperate the cylinder heads, and install new gaskets.

Basically it is all the work of an engien swap and rebuild.

I don't know if $4K is a good price on that or not.

That problem was solved a long time ago.

Well then I can't explain why OP spent $4K on resealing his engine, then.  Serpentine belt and water pump ought to be done at 100K miles (or 10 years).  That's a $1K+ service.  Might as well replace the seals while you are in there.  No idea where the rest of the money went.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Goodn:

Lol..  

You aren't wrong.  But 4k is pretty ridiculous.  

We have never charged that doing full on engine swaps on Subarus.

View Quote

OP is very vague on the work that was done so we may be arguing about very different things.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:

Well then I can't explain why OP spent $4K on resealing his engine, then.  Serpentine belt and water pump ought to be done at 100K miles (or 10 years).  That's a $1K+ service.  Might as well replace the seals while you are in there.  No idea where the rest of the money went.
View Quote

The engine literally splits down the middle, lots of tings that can leak.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If you think your going to put a ton of mile's on it relatively quickly and planning on a new car soon, would a cheap leased car be a dumb move? Like some Kia for $250-300 a month.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557299/s-l1600-3195086.jpg
View Quote
On a 2019 with 120k miles i think he got taken for a ride unless it was already leaking, which is pretty rare on any of the newer ones. Oil consumption can still be a thing but being extra leaky or the head gasket problems were fixed by around 2014.

There's plenty of other maintenance I would have done, if not already taken care of for that money and mileage.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Lol..  

View Quote

It’s easier to swap an engine than reseal it…

Head gaskets left and right pay 13.5 on AllData. Rear main is 0.5 on its own.

14 hours plus parts would land you pretty close to $4000 here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
Subaru uses horizontally opposed engines and the nature of H engines is they leak from every orfice. Resealing a Subaru isn't uncommon and requires removing the engine. Most of GD is incapable of understanding this because they bought their first car in 1921.
View Quote

You’ve got it exactly backwards.  We never heard of a “ReSeal” because we Didn’t buy 1921 technology.  

Now we know.   Jeep has the Wave and the Ducks, Subaru has the “Reseal”.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#9]

No it's not.  Parts and labor $4k to remove an engine reseal and reinstall is not obscene.  I've been a tech for almost 20 years
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TStick:

Dude - 4K was too much to charge him for that.

No it's not.  Parts and labor $4k to remove an engine reseal and reinstall is not obscene.  I've been a tech for almost 20 years

It was a joke.

I still don't even know what he said.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By aftac:
coolant seals were leaking and some oil was leaking.
View Quote

Your model year does not have head gasket issues at 120K unless it was abused.

Coolant on top of the intake area are $10 worth of O-Rings for the cross over pipe.

I am interested to know where the oil leaking was other than the spark tube seals or valve overs.

I can do all that work in 5 hours and less than $100 in parts, because I have,
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
On a 2019 with 120k miles i think he got taken for a ride unless it was already leaking, which is pretty rare on any of the newer ones. Oil consumption can still be a thing but being extra leaky or the head gasket problems were fixed by around 2014.

There's plenty of other maintenance I would have done, if not already taken care of for that money and mileage.

View Quote

Maybe? Probably? We have little to no details from OP.

I had one dealership wanting to replace my whole transmission for 5k, private mechanic just reattached the ground strap for 150 bucks form me and off I went.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

I'm glad I wasnt the only one.

I think I get the gist. OP, was there oil on the ground or did you just have to add oil more often than you thought you should.

At 120k, you have another 80-100k basically trouble free miles.
View Quote

On a Subaru?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557299/s-l1600-3195086.jpg

I suppose at a dealer rates depending on how much labor they quoted 4k comes pretty quickly.  And if it came to splitting the case.. that is a pita that involves basically tearing down and rebuilding the engine.  

But shit.. we had subie engine swaps down to just over three hours.  That was towing the car in.. removing old engine and removing accessories off of it and installing them on the new and stabbing it in and putting liquids and oils in it and driving it out.  

They really aren't that hard to do.  I won't say he got taken if they split the case. But damn.. 4k!  

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I have "resealed" many Subarus. They do leak oil with age. Head gaskets, valve covers, rear seal all of it.

When it's that far apart we did timing belt and pulleys, thermostat, water pump, reseal oil pump, usually mill the head, plugs, ect.

Manufacturer wants head bolts replaced but we never did and never had a comeback for it. Others may not and it adds to the cost.

Those engines can easily be out in 2 hours with experience. Expense is lots of parts. We had better luck if we got them from Subaru.

As far as 4K? Sounds like a lot but labor rates and parts are through the roof thanks to potato head.

It's been 10 years since I did one, cost back then was over $2200. So 4K, maybe what it is today. Some shops are $200 per hour now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

View All Quotes

Lol..  

It is.  I would have gotten a good junk yard motor and gone through the seals and dropped that in and went through the old at my leisure for way less than 4k.

But.. when you are at the mercy of a shop. Labor rates stack up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#19]

WTF is a reseal?
View Quote

... seriously?

Engines are mostly sealed by RTV nowadays, shit does not hold forever and leaks eventually.

I've done a few total engine reseals before, sucks ass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
What does “reseal” mean? Was your engine leaking super bad from many gaskets and engine seals and they pulled the engine out to just replace those?
View Quote

For some yeah.

The last one I did about 3 years ago was on a V8 barego that the customer still has and refuses to let die.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#21]

I suppose at a dealer rates depending on how much labor they quoted 4k comes pretty quickly.  And if it came to splitting the case.. that is a pita that involves basically tearing down and rebuilding the engine.  

But shit.. we had subie engine swaps down to just over three hours.  That was towing the car in.. removing old engine and removing accessories off of it and installing them on the new and stabbing it in and putting liquids and oils in it and driving it out.  

They really aren't that hard to do.  I won't say he got taken if they split the case. But damn.. 4k!  

View Quote

R&R crankshaft is 18.8 on AllData. Splitting cases, all the seals, engine out and back in.

That’s over $4k in labor here, probably a bit less at the Subaru dealer. Plus parts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

BUT the shop is going to charge a few grand for the install labor too.
View Quote

For a grand more he could have had a brand new engine instead of paying to rip apart the whole block and reuse 120k mi old engine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

... seriously?

Engines are mostly sealed by RTV nowadays, shit does not hold forever and leaks eventually.

I've done a few total engine reseals before, sucks ass.
View Quote

The reason I am asking this is because its a boxer. On boxer this could mean pull the entire thing apart COMPLETLEY to reseal the two halves.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:47:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#24]
You paid $4000 to replace all engine gaskets ? Or you paid $4000.00 for an engine rebuild, replacing gaskets, timing chain / belt, new rings, valves, bearings and the works?

Because the first option seems a gigantic waste of money, while the second a good / much better use of money.

However I would not have even considered number 2, unless it was at or near  200,000 miles ( as any modern engine should easily last 200,000 miles ) or was well over 200,000 or was experiencing reliability issues of some kind, burning oil badly, running badly, leaking oil / coolant badly etc. as again, it’s a waste of money to rebuild a engine that’s probably got 20,000-100,000 miles left on it, your driving to work, not racing nascar and breaking down going to cost you the big race / huge money in loss, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#25]
You said a reseal is a rebuild, well fuck that at 120,000. What a POS>
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#26]

R&R crankshaft is 18.8 on AllData. Splitting cases, all the seals, engine out and back in.

That’s over $4k in labor here, probably a bit less at the Subaru dealer. Plus parts.
View All Quotes

As I said..  I am saying depending on the depth of work there is a chance he may not have been taken to the cleaners.  

I also understand labor and labor rates are nuts and add up quickly.

I am also stating my experience with subarus. I am glad between friends and I, I have the ability to do the shit on my own.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
No offense OP, but "Reseal" sounds kind of like a BS name invented to extract maximum $ from a customer.

Specific seals and gaskets should be named in any job.
View Quote

We don't know if the engine was even pulled,  I assume not. OP using the term "reseal" sounds like that is just what he was told.  So, likely someone just replaced a few gaskets, engine in place.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#28]
OP can you show us the invoice plz?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Subaru uses horizontally opposed engines and the nature of H engines is they leak from every orfice. Resealing a Subaru isn't uncommon and requires removing the engine. Most of GD is incapable of understanding this because they bought their first car in 1921.
View Quote

Also any Porsche owner or fan should know this as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sprtpilot:

We don't know if the engine was even pulled,  I assume not. OP using the term "reseal" sounds like that is just what he was told.  So, likely someone just replaced a few gaskets, engine in place.
View Quote

You can’t change the spark plugs with the engine in place on some Subarus.

The engine came out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

You've got it exactly backwards.  We never heard of a "ReSeal" because we Didn't buy 1921 technology.  

Now we know.   Jeep has the Wave and the Ducks, Subaru has the "Reseal".
View All Quotes

You've got it exactly backwards.  We never heard of a "ReSeal" because we Didn't buy 1921 technology.  

Now we know.   Jeep has the Wave and the Ducks, Subaru has the "Reseal".
Marco hooks you up with the reseal brah!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Engine was pulled and some of the parts were replaced with the reseal of all the parts.  I think from when I was deployed for 15 months my ex added 25K miles to the car.  If the car has issues its probally that and my fault for not keeping with the dealership after the 100,000 mile warranty was expired.  I kind of wanted to go new car but my goal since starting my new non DOD job has been to pay off all my debt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Should have spent $4000 on spelling and grammar lessons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#34]
GD Ignorance never ceases to amaze as me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
View Quote

Don't cut yourself on that edge.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Dude, I have a master's in physics.  I do not know how to write anything past my published papers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#37]

You’ve got it exactly backwards.  We never heard of a “ReSeal” because we Didn’t buy 1921 technology.  

Now we know.   Jeep has the Wave and the Ducks, Subaru has the “Reseal”.
View Quote

Heck boxers are even older than 1921, Some of the first cars in existence had boxer engines.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
No offense OP, but "Reseal" sounds kind of like a BS name invented to extract maximum $ from a customer.

Specific seals and gaskets should be named in any job.
View Quote

Sounds like it to me too. Just like the Toyota guy that was charged $600 to "re-seal" his transmission when all that was done was R+R the pan gasket.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By aftac:
Dude, I have a master's in physics.  I do not know how to write anything past my published papers.
View Quote

Know that feel but with automotive tech.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By diesel1:

Sounds like it to me too. Just like the Toyota guy that was charged $600 to "re-seal" his transmission when all that was done was R+R the pan gasket.
View Quote

Trans?

I dread the day I have to reseal my c6 auto.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Lesbian problems
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Circa 1970's, my girlfriend's dad was a GM engineer and a Corvair enthusiast. He was working on the car quite often. So, things haven't changed much in 50 years?

I don't recall VW/Porsche boxer engines having those issues though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Taking an engine out for us is ~$5500 minimum, plus parts and whatever actual work you need done.

$4k is a steal, depending on what was done. You did not get a “rebuild”. Did you get headgaskets? Probably headgaskets, rear main, front crank seal, cam seals, valve cover seals, and reseal the front cover.

Probably pushing $15k at my shop, but we don’t work on Subarus.
View Quote

$5500 is a rip off, at $150 an hour in labor that's almost 37hrs just to take an engine out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Purple monkey dishwasher?

Narfle the Garthok!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557299/91g52xGyCLL__AC_UF350_350_QL80_-3195109.jpg

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:

$5500 is a rip off, at $150 an hour in labor that's almost 37hrs just to take an engine out.
View Quote

We were $150 an hour in 2008 or so.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Sounds like talking to my 82 year old dad when he talks about his boat.

"Yeah, gonna take it in and have them mist the engine"

"What, dad?  What is that"

"Weeeell, it hadn't been run in a couple years so I'll just have em take it, err, well, you know, with the oil.  So it doesn't start dry.  You know oil it up"

"Uhhh.  Dad.  I don't know what you mean.  Like put oil on the cylinders through the spark plug holes?"

"Weeeell, yeah.  I guess.  You know.  Just to make sure"

"Dad, if you want that done it would take me about 30min.  But you know they are just going to change the oil and start it right up and hand you a $1000 invoice."

"Weeeell, anyways..."

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I might have to go back to working on cars........
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

you'll need to keep $50k in fucking pushclips handy if you're working on subaru's. Holy hell they use a different fucking size/type every 4 inches on my '17 Forester. It's insane.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top