Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By diesel1:

Circa 1970's, my girlfriend's dad was a GM engineer and a Corvair enthusiast. He was working on the car quite often. So, things haven't changed much in 50 years?

I don't recall VW/Porsche boxer engines having those issues though.
View Quote

Porsche is the only one in the industry that has a current reliable box arrangement i would say. But the way they had to make it reliable is expensive, they have a rather intricate cooling and oiling systems compared to Subaru's, they still leak like anything else after a while though.

Boxer and flat engines belong in the air. I do not think they belong on the ground.

Honestly, the 2 best things you could probably do to your subaru to make it last a long time is to change the coolant every 30000 miles and convert it to a dry sump oiling system.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
They haven't fixed that yet? My '81 Subaru wagon blew the front and rear oil seals (at different times) in the late 80s/early 90s. Total cost to repair was probably $900.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Marco hooks you up with the reseal brah!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
Subaru uses horizontally opposed engines and the nature of H engines is they leak from every orfice. Resealing a Subaru isn't uncommon and requires removing the engine. Most of GD is incapable of understanding this because they bought their first car in 1921.

You've got it exactly backwards.  We never heard of a "ReSeal" because we Didn't buy 1921 technology.  

Now we know.   Jeep has the Wave and the Ducks, Subaru has the "Reseal".
Marco hooks you up with the reseal brah!

Ol' Marco is still around!!! IIRC, Marco fucked a customer, customer complained, and Marco graciously fucked him again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

Trans?

I dread the day I have to reseal my c6 auto.
View All Quotes

Sounds like it to me too. Just like the Toyota guy that was charged $600 to "re-seal" his transmission when all that was done was R+R the pan gasket.

Trans?

I dread the day I have to reseal my c6 auto.

Should be "a piece of cake" for a guy that works on Kias. So, you still drive the land yacht, eh? You could fit a Kia or Subaru in the trunk of that thing.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Should be "a piece of cake" for a guy that works on Kias. So, you still drive the land yacht, eh? You could fit a Kia or Subaru in the trunk of that thing.

View Quote

It's easy enough, but everything is heavy, really heavy, I'm only 5 foot 6 and a 135 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]

It's easy enough, but everything is heavy, really heavy, I'm only 5 foot 6 and a 135 pounds.
View All Quotes

Just gotta "work smart". And rent/borrow a trans jack if you have to pull it out. Way simpler than dropping the drivetrain from a FWD car. "Not the size of the dog in the fight......"
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]
If not fully rebuilt that was a huge waste of money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 346ci:
19 with 120k and it already needed a rebuild?
View Quote
It's a scoobie. Ever take one apart?  You'd be amazed it ever worked.   Dumbest fucking engines ever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By aftac:
Basically rebuild the engine.
View Quote

First time I ever heard it called reseal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By xd341:
It's a scoobie. Ever take one apart?  You'd be amazed it ever worked.   Dumbest fucking engines ever.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 346ci:
19 with 120k and it already needed a rebuild?
I've loved/love my Subaru's but yes I'm surprised they haven't started transitioning over to a regular I-4 arrangement. I wish Mazda would do some "hot rod" shenanigans and throw the new I6 in the CX50 or CX70. I don't really need a CX90 but really love that new turbo I6 drivetrain.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
OP was bent and sent
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Correct.
View Quote
If they did head gaskets and valve seals and everything else while in there and did rigs if compression was weak it was a good move.  You'll get another 100k out of a Subaru motor with that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#13]
That guy convinced you to replace every seal and gasket on a 2019?

OP come on
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#14]
So at 120K the motor is leaking oil so bad you're willing to dump $4K into it knowing full well that it'll leak sooner next time?

I don't think you'll be doing a favor passing that thing to anyone you like.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Lone_Eagle:
A reseal is when you replace every gasket/seal in the engine.

And $4k?  Did they do the head gaskets as well?  I did my own on my ‘99 Outback EJ25D, and only had about $350 in parts and had it out and in over a day. Yes, the Subie Boxers sip a little oil. On mine, the difference between “FULL” and “ADD” on the dipstick is 14oz. The pan holds 4 qts. Mine uses about a qt every 5k. Cold starts, especially below zero, it might sip a bit more during warm up.
View Quote

Yeah the Subaru boxer engines are not that difficult to work on. Just get the tool that holds the cams in place 'cause that timing is critical for an interference engine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sprtpilot:

We don't know if the engine was even pulled,  I assume not. OP using the term "reseal" sounds like that is just what he was told.  So, likely someone just replaced a few gaskets, engine in place.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sprtpilot:
Originally Posted By Emoto:
No offense OP, but "Reseal" sounds kind of like a BS name invented to extract maximum $ from a customer.

Specific seals and gaskets should be named in any job.

We don't know if the engine was even pulled,  I assume not. OP using the term "reseal" sounds like that is just what he was told.  So, likely someone just replaced a few gaskets, engine in place.

Well, he's now posted that they did pull the engine, but he seems completely allergic to providing any actual details on what was done, instead using general descriptive terms which don't really help. Even the parts list would help.

Maybe he is one of those people who doesn't actually want any answers or help; only wants to vent and feel that he has been heard?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
No offense OP, but "Reseal" sounds kind of like a BS name invented to extract maximum $ from a customer.

Specific seals and gaskets should be named in any job.
View Quote

This.

A new crate engine probably would be a better investment if it’s that bad. Otherwise, if it’s running well, I’d just consider it a “total loss” lubrication system and keep it topped up with a filter change on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#18]
What a odd thread
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Yea. You def drank the water at camp lejuene.  I couldn’t understand half of what you wrote.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Rebuild or not?
Subaru crate engines can be had very cheap
View All Quotes
Basically rebuild the engine.

Rebuild or not?
This right here. I used to buy used (less than 20k miles on them) entire engines (not just a long block) from Japan for a few hundred dollars. K Watanabe in Torrance, CA. and they shipped anywhere continental US or you could go pick up. Japan's emission laws are so strict that they basically just replace engines when they fail emissions tests rather than rebuild them. Far cheaper and they can export the "used" engines.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#21]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
This.

A new crate engine probably would be a better investment if it’s that bad. Otherwise, if it’s running well, I’d just consider it a “total loss” lubrication system and keep it topped up with a filter change on a regular basis.
View Quote

We have not been told anything about whether it was running well or not, or what led up to the decision to spend $4k on it. Many cars use some oil in between changes; this is why we check our oil. Once upon a time, when there were "service stations" they would always check your oil for you as they gassed up your car.

I have a lot of friends and relatives who used to (or still do) own Subarus. The more recent ones don't seem to have any chronic issues as far as I can tell. I did a lot of digging not long ago to see what the current consensus was on their reliability. I was surprised to find that they seem to be much improved over the older ones. Enough so, that I bought a late model WRX. Of course, I wanted a fun to drive 4 door AWD sedan with a manual transmission that was not FWD and not faux AWD (meaning FWD until it notices slip). Those are like hen's teeth unless you want to spend big money to buy and maintain, and I am not an Arfcom Millionaire(TM) so WRX it was. I will be keeping a very close eye on oil consumption as well as the rest of the mechanicals. I have owned multiple boxer-engined motorcycles, and kind of like the feel of those engines, so we'll see how it goes with the car.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:
I read that 4 times and still dont know wtf is going on.
View Quote

I think op was having a conversation with someone about his car and Siri thought he said to create a thread on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
I haven't had to reseal my 2005 Neon at 170k.
View Quote

If it's not an SRT-4, I'm sorry.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
If that fixes your car, it was cheap as hell.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#25]
The Dealership Dildo rarely arrives lubed.

Maybe it needs a "reseal"
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Subaru uses horizontally opposed engines and the nature of H engines is they leak from every orfice. Resealing a Subaru isn't uncommon and requires removing the engine. Most of GD is incapable of understanding this because they bought their first car in 1921.
View Quote

No, we are smart enough to not buy Subarus.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Porsche is the only one in the industry that has a current reliable box arrangement i would say. But the way they had to make it reliable is expensive, they have a rather intricate cooling and oiling systems compared to Subaru's, they still leak like anything else after a while though.

Boxer and flat engines belong in the air. I do not think they belong on the ground.

Honestly, the 2 best things you could probably do to your subaru to make it last a long time is to change the coolant every 30000 miles and convert it to a dry sump oiling system.
View Quote

Almost all serous WRX and especially BRZ racers do just that. Standard oiling system on those subaru boxers goes kaboom once you start turning a lot and fast.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BoomFootShot:

No, we are smart enough to not buy Subarus.
View Quote

Can yo suggest another AWD with a 6 speed that can easily be modded to 350 HP for under 32k?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

No, most of GD wonders why the cost is about the same as a rebuild.  Or a donor/crate.  And if I'm pulling the motor, I'm absolutely doing a rebuild.  $4k for seals is crazy.  Not only that, but it absolutely is uncommon.  I raced Subys for years.  I had 3.  I have never once heard of anyone pulling a motor for a "reseal".  I had both the 2.0l and 2.5l motors and this wasn't a thing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Can yo suggest another AWD with a 6 speed that can easily be modded to 350 HP for under 32k?
View Quote
hot fucking garbage motors.  limp dick open deck blocks, leak everything, the EJs have stupid oiling systems.  Sound like they are dying even when they aren't.

Fucking guides fall the fuck out of the heads.  My father in law loves the damned things, I literally had to make a tool to install new guides because when he was doing the timing belt he noticed half of them were loose.

The EZ 6 cylinder has some potential but nobody does anything with them. They fixed a lot of the EJs issues with the EZ.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
If you think your going to put a ton of mile's on it relatively quickly and planning on a new car soon, would a cheap leased car be a dumb move? Like some Kia for $250-300 a month.
View Quote

"A ton of miles" and "lease" don't go together at all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#32]

This.  I have been a part of quite few rebuilds and replacements.  That's a lot of effort to not replace internals at over 100k miles.  I'd prefer a drop in replacement unless this was a built motor already.  No way I'd do just seals.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aftac] [#33]
Okay, Sorry I have been working.  I did talk to my parents.  My ex-fiancé was living with them for a year while I was deployed.

The car was in for its 120,000-mile service, that is where they noticed the coolant and oil mixture.  Over the winter driving back and forth from Alabama to Virginia for Reserve Duty I have smelled some stuff in my AC vents that eventually will go away or I got used to the smell.  I asked about the other services and why it had not been seen and was told they were not performed per the owner's request.  The dealership never asked about them when I took my car in.  I got to see the engine before had, I know a little about aircraft Maintenace.  I did look at the seals and the oil and it was the same smell I smelled.  My oil was more than a quart low and I had just changed my oil 3500 miles ago.

Until 2021-2022 I was deployed, moved to Huntsville, and drove a lot because I do not like to fly if it is within 7-8 hours.  

In 2021-2022 my ex-fiancé who did not have a car because her car caught on fire an Audi (should have been a hint but she is a lawyer) drove my car and I would always send money for the car to get serviced at the Subaru dealership.  My old dealership in Virginia I had free oil changes. My last big mileage replacement was not done before my 100,000 warranty but I was told it was done but when she was visiting friends in Florida.  

I always got synthetic I was told she probably did not.  

I have not had time to review cars and I have another 7000 miles to drive before I retire in November.  

My car was a mess when I got back to the US.  It has almost 3,000 miles added in a year.   I had the large 60,000 mile done right after I moved in early 2021 I got home and the car had 100,000 miles on it, I f'ed up.  

Just to let you know there are other parts that are being replaced not just the seals because they are replacing worn parts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:11:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#34]
It's pretty clear here the OP knows very little about cars. However, it's impossible to for us to know what was wrong with your car over the internet without seeing it, thus impossible to know if you got ripped off or not.

That said, there are lots of little things here that just don't add up which make me highly suspicious that they saw you coming from a mile away and sold you a bunch of work you didn't need. Their boxer engines often leak. Usually bad enough to pay $4k to have the motor pulled? No. I also highly doubt you were able to smell a blown head gasket through your ac vents. It just doesn't make sense. Not to mention the head gaskets tend to leak oil externally in my experience. Thus not mixing the oil and coolant. Her not using synthetic oil isn't going to ruin your seals either, and the fact that no other mechanic had seen it, all just smells like bs. Which is unfortunately all too common in the auto repair industry. You should have definitely gotten a second opinion.

If the oil was a quart low at 3,500 miles, that's really pretty normal for these motors. They burn oil. It's just what they do. It doesn't mean it was leaking somewhere, and I highly suspect it'll still use at least that, even after your reseal.

I understand what a reseal generally is and if the price you were charged was fair, all depends on what was done. I strongly suspect you were sold something you didn't need, or you had a minor leak which probably really wasn't urgent to fix, but like I said, that's just a guess without having seen it. If they pulled the motor and resealed everything, it's probably in line.

All of that aside, if you really did fix the issues for $4k, and get another few years out of it. Which should be easy, you're coming out significantly ahead versus buying a new car that'll lose at least that as soon as you drive it off the lot. It's pretty rare that I think replacing a car is a better option than repairing an otherwise solid car, even when you get into these repairs that are several thousand dollars. I'd quit worrying about it since you can't do anything about it now. I'm the future I'd get a second opinion. Until then, enjoy your car for a few more years, and not worry about a new one. Invest what you would have spent on a new car. Your wallet will thank you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TStick:

Dude - 4K was too much to charge him for that.
View Quote

So you're a mechanic or a tech? If you were then you'd know that you're wrong.

Pulling the engine and taking the entire thing down to put new gaskets, if that's what happened is a huge job.

Hopefully they put some new bearings and oil pump in there, you'd be nuts not to do all that other stuff with it already torn down.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#36]
Okay, Sorry I have been working.  I did talk to my parents.  My ex-fiancé was living with them for a year while I was deployed.

The car was in for its 120,000-mile service, that is where they noticed the coolant and oil mixture.  Over the winter driving back and forth from Alabama to Virginia for Reserve Duty I have smelled some stuff in my AC vents that eventually will go away or I got used to the smell.  I asked about the other services and why it had not been seen and was told they were not performed per the owner's request.  The dealership never asked about them when I took my car in.  I got to see the engine before had, I know a little about aircraft Maintenace.  I did look at the seals and the oil and it was the same smell I smelled.  My oil was more than a quart low and I had just changed my oil 3500 miles ago.

Until 2021-2022 I was deployed, moved to Huntsville, and drove a lot because I do not like to fly if it is within 7-8 hours.  

In 2021-2022 my ex-fiancé who did not have a car because her car caught on fire an Audi (should have been a hint but she is a lawyer) drove my car and I would always send money for the car to get serviced at the Subaru dealership.  My old dealership in Virginia I had free oil changes. My last big mileage replacement was not done before my 100,000 warranty but I was told it was done but when she was visiting friends in Florida.  

I always got synthetic I was told she probably did not.  

I have not had time to review cars and I have another 7000 miles to drive before I retire in November.  

My car was a mess when I got back to the US.  It has almost 3,000 miles added in a year.   I had the large 60,000 mile done right after I moved in early 2021 I got home and the car had 100,000 miles on it, I f'ed up.  

Just to let you know there are other parts that are being replaced not just the seals because they are replacing worn parts.
View Quote

Hopefully it all works out. The car should last a long time if taken care of. Make sure the dealer does a CVT fluid change too. Dont spend the money on the motor and skimp on that.

Oil/coolant mix…… not common on newer Subarus at all. Coolant smell is almost always the cross over pipe o rings and coolant pooling on top of the motor. $10 in parts and some time to fix. Not super hard.

Women and cars are expensive. You mixed them like……. Oil and water, and fucked up A-Aron.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#37]
It sounds to me like you took an out-of-warranty car in to a stealership and they fucked you, as expected.

Next time go independent for major work on non-warranty cars, or at least get a second opinion.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I was quoted 8k by a dealer to do the same (was there for routine maintenance). There was no oil on my driveway and I wasn’t losing oil so I said no. That was about 3 years 60k miles ago. Still doesn’t leak oil.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jb31:

No, most of GD wonders why the cost is about the same as a rebuild.  Or a donor/crate.  And if I'm pulling the motor, I'm absolutely doing a rebuild.  $4k for seals is crazy.  Not only that, but it absolutely is uncommon.  I raced Subys for years.  I had 3.  I have never once heard of anyone pulling a motor for a "reseal".  I had both the 2.0l and 2.5l motors and this wasn't a thing.
View Quote

It's not the same as a rebuild, a rebuild would cost even more. Just sending the heads off for resurfacing will cost you $500, thats not even getting into replacing valves and springs.

GD can't wrap their minds around the fact that things don't cost what they did 50 years ago. I don't care that you raced "subys" for years, I've worked in dealerships for years including Subaru and it most certainly is a common repair on these cars.

If you're buying Japanese the only acceptable brands are Honda and Toyota.

Nissan and Subaru are hunks of shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like the OP was taken by a shady shop
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:09:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AaronR] [#41]
car barely worth 10k; could have saved $3500 labor doing the work yourself
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:17:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#42]
Originally Posted By AaronR:
car barely worth 10k; could have saved $3500 labor doing the work yourself
View Quote

Replacing 2 head gaskets on a turbocharged car engine is worth more than $3500 of my time. That would take me weeks with jack stands and hand tools.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By bikertrash:

This
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikertrash:

WTF is a reseal?

This

He's from Alabama

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to say the OP may have screwed up depending on what is actually being done to the car.  But, even a $4k bill is still cheaper than buying a new car right now and he just needs basic transportation from it.  Drive it until the wheels fall off.

It honestly doesn't sound like anything was really wrong with it other than the standard Subaru engine problems which they all seem to have.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sherm8404:

"A ton of miles" and "lease" don't go together at all.
View Quote

I knew a guy who put 10k a month on his truck.  He leased it.  Never understood how that worked.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Nah, never messed with them turds. I’m a Honda/toyota man myself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Rebuild or not?
View Quote

I don't drive a Subaru, but any car I have that needs a $4,000 "reseal" is getting a brand new crate motor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#48]
GD Ignorance never ceases to amaze as me.
View Quote

There’s a wealth of knowledge here and a lot of good people, but; GD is powered by hate and ignorance.    

The more you know about a particular topic, the more the
DK Syndrome* bois will leap out at you.  

It’s interesting how the truly stupid, have no idea how ignorant they are.    

*Dunning Kruger.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:

I don't drive a Subaru, but any car I have that needs a $4,000 "reseal" is getting a brand new crate motor.
View Quote

Yep. Absofuckinglutley.
Crate engine is cheaper if you keep driving car, valve jobs , ti.ing belt/chain ,plugs, shitload misc parts such as PCV valve buried behind a ton of junk , water pump replacement and so on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I was recently quoted about 5K for an engine replacement for an Outback.  Not sure I'd want to spend that just on gaskets/seals.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top