Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Struggles to use the alarm on an iOS device.

Thinks switching to an Android device where the biggest claimed benefit is the ability to reprogram half the shit in the OS will somehow make life easier.

Seems well thought out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Struggles to use the alarm on an iOS device.

Thinks switching to an Android device where the biggest claimed benefit is the ability to reprogram half the shit in the OS will somehow make life easier.

Seems well thought out.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
May as well DE-transition while you are at it.
View Quote

FIFY.

My (almost ex) wife always bitched about her android phones, so I got her an iphone a couple phones ago.  Guess, what?  The phone wasn't the problem.  Turns out women using it 24/7 for social media is rough on phones (and marriages).

I just got a new Galaxy S24 Ultra on Friday, and it makes the Note 20 that it replaced look like a dinosaur.  The flagship Samsung phones are just as good if not better in terms of hardware compared to the iphones.  They're also ip68 waterproof, and I've tested that feature extensively as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
I've gone back and forth over the years. I am
an appliance operator when it comes to
phones. The features and benefits of android are lost on me.
View Quote
I've used both but decided Android suits my needs better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:44:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#5]
I don't like Apple's ecosystem.

I switched to Android in about 2015. At the time, Samsung phones had lots of features Apple didn't. The next phone, an S9, had even more.

I considered an iPhone Mini before I got my S23, but lack of USB C killed that idea.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
I don't like Apple's ecosystem.

I switched to Android in about 2015. At the time, Samsung phones had lots of features Apple didn't. The next phone, an S9, had even more.

I considered an iPhone Mini before I got my S23, but lack of USB C killed that idea.
View Quote

My wife's iPhone 15 Pro uses USB-C.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I run away from anything Google.  

America would be better if everyone else did too.

That said Apple could do a better job... but they still suck less.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By R_S:
I run away from anything Google.  

America would be better if everyone else did too.

That said Apple could do a better job... but they still suck less.
View Quote

android phones are capable of not using google services...can you use an iphone without appleOS?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:59:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#9]
For work phones I've had them all at one time or another.

Apple, Android and even a Windows phone for a short while

I personally own an Android and would not switch to the others I've used. There's a business app that 99.99% of the people in my line of work use (and the other 0.01% use the same thing on their speciality calculator) and it doesn't work on Apple.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#10]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:

So is Apple.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BombCrater:
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Google is evil.  Keep that in mind.

So is Apple.

Apple continues its plunge into the hellish world of subscription-only services.

Last week my wife bought a new iPhone 15 Pro, because she was locked out of her iPhone 8 (which is bordering on obsolete anyway).  She was unable to do any software updates on the 8 because she doesn't have the password for her late (previous) husband's Apple ID account.  She doesn't have a receipt for the purchase of the phone, and Apple wouldn't accept a death certificate as proof of ownership.

Consultant told us it was possible only to ground zero the phone and start over from scratch.  So she bought a new one.  Also a new MacBook Pro because the battery in her old one is swelling up.

She's still convinced that Apple stuff is superior to everything else because it's so user-friendly.  I've dropped back to saying "Yes, dear" when she goes on about how much better Apple products are than anything else.

I use everything - Microsoft, Android, Apple, Linux, and much more.  They all have good and bad points.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had both.

Both do phone shit.

It doesn't matter much.

Do what works for you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had both and the apple is better IMHO
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been using motos. My last one was over 5 years old and was fine until I dropped the fuck out of it. I've dropped it a lot, but there's always a last time.  Now I have a moto edge.

It seems like all my friends with iPhones can't do the things I do with android, or maybe they just don't bother learning how.  My battery life is amazing. The newer models don't have a card slot, that's the feature that drove me to moto to begin with. Kind of a bummer but oh well
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gilly:
I've had iPhones since 2010.  Currently carrying an iPhone 13 (personal) and a Samsung Galaxy S23 (work) and the Galaxy is janky as hell.  Text message autocorrect sucks, OS updates push games and shit I don't want that I have to delete, almost every notification uses the same sound so I can't tell if I got a text message or a weather advisory (I might be able to fix that if I dig into it enough), the list goes on and on...  I'm tempted to break or lose this thing and ask for an iPhone as a replacement like everyone else has.

Maybe I'm not enough of a super user to appreciate the flexibility of the Android OS, but using it is like wearing my shoes on the wrong feet compared to iOS.
View Quote

That's a you nor knowing how to use a phone, not an android or even a s23 issue.. This is the problem with Apple users is they don't understand how to actually use technology and customize things. They expect everything to be done for them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HemiPowrd:
IT guy here. Deal with computers, networks, users, problems all day. I hate Apple and Macs. For my phone I just want something that works and is easy to use. That happens to be an iPhone. No hassles, it just works. My wife uses an Android phone and complains about it all the time. I get dragged into supporting it and it's a pain in the ass.
View Quote

I worked in IT for almost 30 years. We used iPhones because they were easy to support. I have zero desire to wast my time supporting an android phone. iPhones simply work. Sure you do updates but they are easy to do. If you want to spend a lot of time and effort to do unique things in your phone, get an android phone. If you use your phone to search the web, check your email, check the weather, take pictures, send texts, use popular apps and possibly make phone calls, get an iPhone.

I have an iPhone 7 that still works great on the original battery. I will get a new phone just because maybe I am due for one. To be honest, the battery is starting to get weak. Still healthy but I am thinking of getting a 14 or 15 this summer or maybe in September when the new models come out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used both. I prefer android. About the only benefits of the iPhone are the FaceTime and imessage. Everything else sucks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:

The only time I experience this is when I have the phone switched to silent mode or the volume turned all the way down.

This is starting to sound like an ID10T error...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
Originally Posted By WhenWolf:

dude i can't begin to explain how many times i've woken up to the screen ON with the alarm flashing, but no noise coming out of the phone.

The only time I experience this is when I have the phone switched to silent mode or the volume turned all the way down.

This is starting to sound like an ID10T error...

Nice to see you use familiar IT terms.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bat15:

I worked in IT for almost 30 years. We used iPhones because they were easy to support. I have zero desire to wast my time supporting an android phone. iPhones simply work. Sure you do updates but they are easy to do....
View Quote

It's all fun and games until you get locked out of doing updates on your iPhone, like what happened to my wife (see reply #10 on this page.)
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
I abandoned Apple phones a very long time ago as they were basically made entirely of glass and to delicate / expensive to serve as a reliable critical device that often saw rugged, or careless handling. I lost count of the I phones Iv seen with broken / shattered glass blacks, screens, etc. seriously, who the fuck makes a fucking phone entirely out of glass ? I want a cell phone manufactured out of the 1980s plastic they made dial phones out of that was unbreakable, or old Nokia built cell phones. I’m paying $500 - $1000 for a pocket telephone / computer, I want the damn thing to last forever , survive being dropped on concrete, brick, dirt, getting rained on, splashed, puked on, shaken, rattled, etc. because $500-$1000 is a lot of fucking money to me, and to 99% of the planet and very difficult to replace a $500-$1000 critical device , so I want it to look decent, and be TOUGH.  Who the fuck makes such a device intended for average people out of Fucking glass.

I love android phones, my favorites are the tough versions that are already ruggidized / water / shock resistant to begin with, then add a case which makes them even tougher. I can honestly say Iv never broken one,or had one fail and I abuse the shit out of them, hauling them in wet, dusty, hot, cold, rattling around on utv dash / tractor tool basket, etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I own both, having picked up a Straight-Talk Wireless iPhone to use in places around here that only have Verizon service.  My main phone is a Galaxy S21 in T-Mobile.  Of the two, the S21 has much more utility for me because I prefer Android/Google/Amazon ecosystem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Might as well mail your wallet to Google.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Who do you trust more, Apple or Google...?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WhenWolf:
After unfortunately being an IPhone user for over 10 years now, I've realized that half the features that are Apple exclusive are pretty meaningless and serve ultimately zero purpose. I woke up this morning 2 hours late because my IPhone refused to trigger the same alarm it's been doing every morning for years now... I'm just tired of constantly looking at this piece of crap, and I think I'm ready for something new. The new galaxy phones are pretty interesting, wondering if any previous IPhone user here made the switch, and did or didn't regret it?
View Quote

How old is your phone and have you bothered to update the iOS?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

That's a you nor knowing how to use a phone, not an android or even a s23 issue.. This is the problem with Apple users is they don't understand how to actually use technology and customize things. They expect everything to be done for them.
View Quote

Or, and I’m just spitballing here, they don’t give a shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
I've been using motos. My last one was over 5 years old and was fine until I dropped the fuck out of it. I've dropped it a lot, but there's always a last time.  Now I have a moto edge.

It seems like all my friends with iPhones can't do the things I do with android, or maybe they just don't bother learning how.  My battery life is amazing. The newer models don't have a card slot, that's the feature that drove me to moto to begin with. Kind of a bummer but oh well
View Quote

A lot of people are fucking clueless when it comes to what their devices can do. I’m continually teaching people. Lately I’ve been blowing people’s minds with the ability to scan documents with their iPhone/iPad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The galaxy is certainly preferred by ladies with 3” nails and outrageous weaves.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:

i don't understand why people say this crap

what are y'all doing to get freaking viruses and malware on your phones??
holy shit, y'all really do click every link you see on the web don't you?!
View Quote

I was visiting my Dad one weekend and his iphone was going nuts.  Notification after notification.  After a while I told him it sounded like a teenage girl.  He couldnt figure out what the alerts were or how to turn it off.  After some digging, I found out the problem.  Turns out he had clicked some link somewhere that gave some asshole access to edit his calendar and he was getting alerts every few minutes from several websites.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Long time Android user recently switched to IPhone.  There are a ton of benifits when using it with other Iphone users, like I message, being able to natively send large videos without another app, etc.

The notifications do kind of suck.

I have had the alarm go off but didn't make any sound.  As far as I could tell, I had my volumes set correctly, I may have goofed something up.  I always make sure that all the volumes and notifications are set full blast before going to bed.  I can't  seem to set just an volume like I could wth Android as android has 4 different volume sliders (system, audio, etc)
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:03:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#31]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
Long time Android user recently switched to IPhone.  There are a ton of benifits when using it with other Iphone users, like I message, being able to natively send large videos without another app, etc.

The notifications do kind of suck.

I have had the alarm go off but didn't make any sound.  As far as I could tell, I had my volumes set correctly, I may have goofed something up.  I always make sure that all the volumes and notifications are set full blast before going to bed.  I can't  seem to set just an volume like I could wth Android as android has 4 different volume sliders (system, audio, etc)
View Quote

Settings then sounds and haptics. There is a slider for alerts that includes alarms.

I’m not sure what you mean about notifications sucking. Too many? Don’t like how they show?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I use whatever phone the company gives me.

Currently, the CEO is on an Android kick, so we all get the Galaxy 24 ultra. Been a good phone so far...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#33]

I worked in IT for almost 30 years. We used iPhones because they were easy to support. I have zero desire to wast my time supporting an android phone. iPhones simply work. Sure you do updates but they are easy to do. If you want to spend a lot of time and effort to do unique things in your phone, get an android phone. If you use your phone to search the web, check your email, check the weather, take pictures, send texts, use popular apps and possibly make phone calls, get an iPhone.

I have an iPhone 7 that still works great on the original battery. I will get a new phone just because maybe I am due for one. To be honest, the battery is starting to get weak. Still healthy but I am thinking of getting a 14 or 15 this summer or maybe in September when the new models come out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HemiPowrd:
IT guy here. Deal with computers, networks, users, problems all day. I hate Apple and Macs. For my phone I just want something that works and is easy to use. That happens to be an iPhone. No hassles, it just works. My wife uses an Android phone and complains about it all the time. I get dragged into supporting it and it's a pain in the ass.

Opposite experience here.

The OS update for my iPhone 14 totally sucks... I'll have to kick it off at least a half dozen times before anything actually happens.  Then I have to constantly monitor it since they're too fucking stupid to not let the screen sleep interrupt the update half the time even when it's plugged in (mandated screen sleep can't change it).

Usually my Galaxy wants to update at annoying times, but it has always worked until now... I know I cursed myself with that statement.

TL/DR: Both platforms are complex tech devices not free from issues.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Droids are janky
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
The galaxy is certainly preferred by ladies with 3” nails and outrageous weaves.
View Quote

Around here they use iphones, as do all the liberals.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gilly:
I've had iPhones since 2010.  Currently carrying an iPhone 13 (personal) and a Samsung Galaxy S23 (work) and the Galaxy is janky as hell.  Text message autocorrect sucks, OS updates push games and shit I don't want that I have to delete, almost every notification uses the same sound so I can't tell if I got a text message or a weather advisory (I might be able to fix that if I dig into it enough), the list goes on and on...  I'm tempted to break or lose this thing and ask for an iPhone as a replacement like everyone else has.

Maybe I'm not enough of a super user to appreciate the flexibility of the Android OS, but using it is like wearing my shoes on the wrong feet compared to iOS.

Strange, I use Apple devices and I know how to customize things and use technology...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't trust alarms from any device or OS. In the rare situation where I need to wake up super early (to catch a flight or whatever), I'll set one alarm on the watch, plus another on the phone.   Seems like at least one device (or computer) is always deciding to reboot itself in the wee hours of the morning...

"Oh I see that my primary user has to get up in 15 minutes..... I think I'll download the latest OS version now...."
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Fullautoguy:
Droids are janky
View Quote

Maybe those weren't the droids you were looking for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m tried to switch from iPhone on the last go-round and made it about 2-3 days of using android before I said screw it and went back to iPhone.  Everything on iPhone is intuitive while the android seemed unnecessarily cumbersome and awkward.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

It's all fun and games until you get locked out of doing updates on your iPhone, like what happened to my wife (see reply #10 on this page.)
View All Quotes

I worked in IT for almost 30 years. We used iPhones because they were easy to support. I have zero desire to wast my time supporting an android phone. iPhones simply work. Sure you do updates but they are easy to do....

Apple has a feature for that.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102631
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PewPewPew1212:
I’m tried to switch from iPhone on the last go-round and made it about 2-3 days of using android before I said screw it and went back to iPhone.  Everything on iPhone is intuitive while the android seemed unnecessarily cumbersome and awkward.
View Quote

Probably more that you're used to the iPhone.  The lack of a "back" button really bothers me on the iPhone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I've had both, currently on my second iPhone right now.

I find Android to be more intuitive, alerts are better, and voice commands are leaps and bounds better.

The cheapskate in me likes the Apple phone because they last a long time and have good resale value. It's basically the same reason why I drive a Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
I don't trust alarms from any device or OS. In the rare situation where I need to wake up super early (to catch a flight or whatever), I'll set one alarm on the watch, plus another on the phone.   Seems like at least one device (or computer) is always deciding to reboot itself in the wee hours of the morning...

"Oh I see that my primary user has to get up in 15 minutes..... I think I'll download the latest OS version now...."
View Quote

That’s why I always manually trigger the update and don’t let it go automatically at night.

I always have 2-3 staggered alarm. In pre-phone days, I had multiple alarm clocks scattered about the room!  Now with an Apple Watch, I get the buzzing on my wrist and audible alarm on phone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Global_Cooling:
Google Pixel or OnePlus

Galaxy phones are garbage. Samsung One UI is straight trash.
View Quote

I have the Google Pixel 8 Pro.  The camera is simply fucking amazing.

The rest of my family has Iphones but I'll never switch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:14:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#46]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

View All Quotes

My wife's previous husband died years before that feature was available.  But thanks for the information.

ETA we had no problem getting data off of the old phone.  The issue was that whenever we tried to do anything that required elevated privileges, like updating apps or the OS, the phone kept prompting for the deceased man's password for his Apple ID.  Neither Apple nor our pricey consultant could get around that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:15:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jalcon9] [#47]
I had androids for the last 15 years. Last year I went to an iphone. Iphone 14 pro.

I can't wait to go back to an android. Iphones do everything a little worse. An iphone is like a very cheap android that you would get free back in the day.

I will say this. If you are THAT used to iphones for so long, going to an android will probably overwhelm you and make you not like it as much.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#48]

My wife's previous husband died years before that feature was available.
View Quote

Was she using a phone on dead husband’s Apple ID and never got her own?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I understand.  I’m saying the issue is addressed by the current feature set, and people can now take steps to avoid it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#50]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Was she using a phone on dead husband's Apple ID and never got her own?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

Was she using a phone on dead husband's Apple ID and never got her own?

The phone was owned by the deceased man's Apple ID.  Her own MacBook was owned by her Apple ID.  She could use the phone as a phone, but it was a boat anchor when it came to updating the software, installing apps from the Apple Store, etc.

The last straw was the Ring Always Home app.  That was getting janky on the phone and some features weren't working.  Apple recommended uninstalling it and reinstalling it.  When I had originally installed it, I downloaded it from ring.com.  But now you can only get the app from the Apple Store, or give your credit card information to one of several really shady-looking third party sites that claim they will let you download it for "free."

I understand.  I'm saying the issue is addressed by the current feature set, and people can now take steps to avoid it.

The best way to avoid it is to make sure your significant other has all of your passwords.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top