Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've hated IPhones since the first time I handled one. I don't understand the hype aside from marketing to the lowest common denominator.

For a while now, I've had to carry 2 phones. My personal Note 20 Ultra and an IPhone 13 Pro for on-call purposes. My opinion hasn't changed. I can't identify any utility or benefit from the IPhone that is better, easier or more useful than my Samsung.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You can have my Samsung Galaxy when you pry it from my chubby little fingers.

I have tried to switch to Apple multiple times over the last decade, cause I use the MacbookPro for work and the ecosystem is good.

I never made it more than 3 days.

The android is more reliable, I have more choice of apps, it's very easy to customize. It seems...Smarter. Like on this website, it loads zoomed in.  ON apple find page 1, it's small, pinch zoom in, read thread, great, go to next thread, zoomed out again. Pinch zoom in to read,  find, next thread, small again.

Stuff like that.

The good news is:

- if you use a macbook, your USB-C charger will charge your macbook AND your android galaxy. which is amazing.  it pisses the apple folks off cause they need a separate cable. hahahahaha
- galaxy works great with my airpod pro gII, they are great
- battery life is great
- intuitive

the bad parts
- apply fanbois raise nose at you

no other downside.

WARNING: You will HATE it for a few days. Give it 3 days, and you'll settle in. The controls are a little different but once you get used to it,  it's great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

The phone was owned by the deceased man's Apple ID.  Her own MacBook was owned by her Apple ID.  She could use the phone as a phone, but it was a boat anchor when it came to updating the software, installing apps from the Apple Store, etc.

The last straw was the Ring Always Home app.  That was getting janky on the phone and some features weren't working.  Apple recommended uninstalling it and reinstalling it.  When I had originally installed it, I downloaded it from ring.com.  But now you can only get the app from the Apple Store, or give your credit card information to one of several really shady-looking third party sites that claim they will let you download it for "free."

The best way to avoid it is to make sure your significant other has all of your passwords.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

My wife's previous husband died years before that feature was available.

Was she using a phone on dead husband's Apple ID and never got her own?

The phone was owned by the deceased man's Apple ID.  Her own MacBook was owned by her Apple ID.  She could use the phone as a phone, but it was a boat anchor when it came to updating the software, installing apps from the Apple Store, etc.

The last straw was the Ring Always Home app.  That was getting janky on the phone and some features weren't working.  Apple recommended uninstalling it and reinstalling it.  When I had originally installed it, I downloaded it from ring.com.  But now you can only get the app from the Apple Store, or give your credit card information to one of several really shady-looking third party sites that claim they will let you download it for "free."

Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

I understand.  I'm saying the issue is addressed by the current feature set, and people can now take steps to avoid it.

The best way to avoid it is to make sure your significant other has all of your passwords.

True, but there are dudes on here that won’t give their wives the combo to their gun safe.  They’re not going to give their wives all the keys to their accounts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -daddy] [#4]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
 ON apple find page 1, it's small, pinch zoom in, read thread, great, go to next thread, zoomed out again. Pinch zoom in to read,  find, next thread, small again.

it pisses the apple folks off cause they need a separate cable. hahahahaha
View Quote

Part 1, I call bullshit.

Part 2, I've never been "pissed" at having a different cable.

Where do people come up with this stupid shit?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Global_Cooling:
Google Pixel or OnePlus

Galaxy phones are garbage. Samsung One UI is straight trash.
View Quote

Naw, they work fine.  Maybe it's you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#6]
Originally Posted By -daddy:

Part 1, I call bullshit.

View All Quotes
 ON apple find page 1, it's small, pinch zoom in, read thread, great, go to next thread, zoomed out again. Pinch zoom in to read,  find, next thread, small again.

Part 1, I call bullshit.

Projection.  They’re pissed about something, so other people must be pissed about something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I had to switch to an Iphone for work, they're both fine. If you only use your phone for basic stuff like calls, text, photos, internet, I doubt you'll see any benefits to either other than whichever feels more familiar - at least I didn't. The Iphone actually feels more intuitive now that I've gotten used to it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]

It's all fun and games until you get locked out of doing updates on your iPhone, like what happened to my wife (see reply #10 on this page.)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bat15:

I worked in IT for almost 30 years. We used iPhones because they were easy to support. I have zero desire to wast my time supporting an android phone. iPhones simply work. Sure you do updates but they are easy to do....

It's all fun and games until you get locked out of doing updates on your iPhone, like what happened to my wife (see reply #10 on this page.)

I keep a paper log of passwords. You can recover your phone from another connected device. I need to look into the details.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gator:

Opposite experience here.

The OS update for my iPhone 14 totally sucks... I'll have to kick it off at least a half dozen times before anything actually happens.  Then I have to constantly monitor it since they're too fucking stupid to not let the screen sleep interrupt the update half the time even when it's plugged in (mandated screen sleep can't change it).

Usually my Galaxy wants to update at annoying times, but it has always worked until now... I know I cursed myself with that statement.

TL/DR: Both platforms are complex tech devices not free from issues.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gator:
Originally Posted By HemiPowrd:
IT guy here. Deal with computers, networks, users, problems all day. I hate Apple and Macs. For my phone I just want something that works and is easy to use. That happens to be an iPhone. No hassles, it just works. My wife uses an Android phone and complains about it all the time. I get dragged into supporting it and it's a pain in the ass.

I worked in IT for almost 30 years. We used iPhones because they were easy to support. I have zero desire to wast my time supporting an android phone. iPhones simply work. Sure you do updates but they are easy to do. If you want to spend a lot of time and effort to do unique things in your phone, get an android phone. If you use your phone to search the web, check your email, check the weather, take pictures, send texts, use popular apps and possibly make phone calls, get an iPhone.

I have an iPhone 7 that still works great on the original battery. I will get a new phone just because maybe I am due for one. To be honest, the battery is starting to get weak. Still healthy but I am thinking of getting a 14 or 15 this summer or maybe in September when the new models come out.

Opposite experience here.

The OS update for my iPhone 14 totally sucks... I'll have to kick it off at least a half dozen times before anything actually happens.  Then I have to constantly monitor it since they're too fucking stupid to not let the screen sleep interrupt the update half the time even when it's plugged in (mandated screen sleep can't change it).

Usually my Galaxy wants to update at annoying times, but it has always worked until now... I know I cursed myself with that statement.

TL/DR: Both platforms are complex tech devices not free from issues.

I don’t have an iPhone 14 or run the same OS so I can’t speak to that. All I can say is I have never seen a problem like that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
I don't trust alarms from any device or OS. In the rare situation where I need to wake up super early (to catch a flight or whatever), I'll set one alarm on the watch, plus another on the phone.   Seems like at least one device (or computer) is always deciding to reboot itself in the wee hours of the morning...

"Oh I see that my primary user has to get up in 15 minutes..... I think I'll download the latest OS version now...."
View Quote

I have used my iPhone or iPad without problems. Did you know they make these dedicated devices that only play broadcast music/news/sports/discussions, the current time and sound an alarm or play the radio at a given time? I have used several different models over the last 60-70 years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#11]

I keep a paper log of passwords. You can recover your phone from another connected device. I need to look into the details.
View All Quotes

I worked in IT for almost 30 years. We used iPhones because they were easy to support. I have zero desire to wast my time supporting an android phone. iPhones simply work. Sure you do updates but they are easy to do....

Yes, from another connected device that is owned by the same Apple ID, which we don't have.  My wife keeps important information on paper too.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]

My wife keeps important information on paper too.

https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-warehouse.jpg
View All Quotes

My wife keeps important information on paper too.

https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-warehouse.jpg

She must be a very important person!

I only use a small notebook. I guess I am not very important.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Don’t buy Chinese, buy American

Oh wait thought this was a Holosun vs trijicon thread
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I can do anything with my android any computer can do..my wife's iPhone has trouble with alarms, and other stuff that should be easy in 2024. My wife sometimes turns audio off on her phone and then forgets, and misses alarms, on my android the alarm is never silenced unless I want it to be, so it always goes off..I can cancel an alarm I use daily, for today and it will automatically be back on for tomorrow...for those like me , I have been in tech all my life, I am a power user, android is the only way to go..iphone is great as long as it is in its own ecosystem
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Spl1nter_c311:
My wife has an iphone, basic things like delete app cache, to free up space or sorting files by size are apparently not something people do on iPhones.

The camera is great, everything else blows.
View Quote

I concur
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kent:
From your opening statement, it is clear you just want to jump into the iPhone haters club, so just do it already.  No need for all your drama.

If you want to actually use a phone, use iPhone.
If you like to hack your phone in every way imaginable, use android.
If you just want the cheapest phone there is, use android.
View Quote

you don't need to hack android anymore to do things, it does most things natively now
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WhenWolf:
After unfortunately being an IPhone user for over 10 years now, I've realized that half the features that are Apple exclusive are pretty meaningless and serve ultimately zero purpose. I woke up this morning 2 hours late because my IPhone refused to trigger the same alarm it's been doing every morning for years now... I'm just tired of constantly looking at this piece of crap, and I think I'm ready for something new. The new galaxy phones are pretty interesting, wondering if any previous IPhone user here made the switch, and did or didn't regret it?
View Quote
I think the alarms on any device can fail at some point.  I have an alarm on my phone and the echo in my bedroom as a backup.  If you want to change because you're tired of it that's great, but if it's because an alarm didn't go off you'll be disappointed at some point with anything in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#18]
The thing about iPhones that bugs the hell out of me is how proprietary everything is.  With my Galaxy S23, I can hook it up to my PC via a USB cable and it gets recognized as an external HD.  I can drag and drop videos, photos, MP3 files, etc...from my computer HD into my phone easily.  Can't do that with the iPhone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
The thing about iPhones that bugs the hell out of me is how proprietary everything is.  With my Galaxy S23, I can hook it up to my PC via a USB cable and it gets recognized as an external HD.  I can drag and drop videos, photos, MP3 files, etc...from my computer HD into my phone easily.  Can't do that with the iPhone.
View Quote

Yeah, but you can use iMazing or something similar.  That's how I backed up my wife's stuff when she was in the hospital.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Yeah, but you can use iMazing or something similar.  That's how I backed up my wife's stuff when she was in the hospital.
View All Quotes

I'm sure there is software that'll let you do that, but I don't like HAVING to find the right software when with the Galaxy, it's just already there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

iCloud or Google Photos/Drive work fine. I use both for redundancy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends what your usage case is, mostly.

For me, I was all about Android until I met my now wife, and popped out a couple kids. Now I need the full quality picture/video messaging and video calls to be integrated, and therefore I'm stuck being on iPhone, because her entire family is all on iPhone.

If it wasn't for that, I'd likely be on Android for a bit more choice, but even then there's less choice than there used to be.

If Apple ever allows messaging/facetime to be completely cross-platform, then I'll probably switch back. But until then, I'm not dealing with sub-par image/video quality when sending pics/vids back and forth to the family across country. I know 3rd party apps like WhatsApp can bridge that gap, but I'm not about to try and get the entire family on that train; some of them are only able to use these features because Apple has them so easily integrated, so forget adding a whole separate app into the mix.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:20:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Raider14] [#23]
Flip a coin?

I swapped to IPhone after like 13 years of Android back in October just because none of the Androids that Verizon had in stock interested me (dropped my old Moto Z4). So far, the only things I genuinely like is that apps are far superior and all the other non-phone stuff. AirTags, AirPods, Apple Watch, the ability to get high quality cases vs alibaba type shit, etc are all pretty kewl. In actual use tho? Meh, I don’t see the big deal.

ETA: the picture thing mentioned above is pretty nice too. Whenever I needed something hi res I’d just send it over messenger but it’s nice not having to.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

apple id and password are the keys to the kingdom.  

lose track of that for a device you're currently using, you're on borrowed time.  it will bite you in the ass sooner or later.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]
@OP:

awesome, I hope you enjoy your new phone.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

The problem isn't getting stuff OFF the phone, it's loading stuff ONTO the phone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Don’t buy a Pixel. I had the best one and it took a shit while charging the first time on the day I picked it up. The thing got super hot to the touch. Like you couldn’t hold it. I unplugged it and took it outside using wood stove mitts to set in the gravel till it cooled off. I tried to turn it on a couple hours later and it made a funny sound and went to some odd reboot screen. That was it. Took it back and bought my first iPhone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Google is evil.  Keep that in mind.
View Quote

So is Apple...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#29]

The problem isn't getting stuff OFF the phone, it's loading stuff ONTO the phone.
View All Quotes

What stuff are you trying to load onto the phone?  You can connect a iOS device to a MacOS device and manually manage music, tv shows, books, pod casts, and files for installed apps.  You just can’t directly access the iPhone’s file system to make changes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#30]

What stuff are you trying to load onto the phone?  You can connect a iOS device to a MacOS device and manually manage music, tv shows, books, pod casts, and files for installed apps.  You just can’t directly access the iPhone’s file system to make changes.
View All Quotes

Photos, videos, documents, etc...  And I don't HAVE MacOS devices.  As I said, I have PCs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#31]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:
The only time my alarm hasn’t worked has been my fault.

I only want to turn my phone on and use it with the least amount of steps possible.

iPhone and Apple does that better than anyone.

Plus I can move from my phone to iPad to Mac work computer to Mac home computer to Mac book completely seamlessly. Plus can text from computer on airplane.

No amount of features would ever make me lose all of that.

Plus I can walk into an Apple store and tell them to fix whatever the issue is and walk out with it fixed.
View Quote

You could do all of that with Android....10 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Photos, videos, documents, etc...  And I don't HAVE MacOS devices.  As I said, I have PCs.
View All Quotes

Use Google Photos/ Google Drive. Add the photos/docs to those from your PC and then sign into those apps on the phone with same Google account. Or use MS OneDrive. Same thing. Both work fine. You’re making this more difficult than it has to be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Use Google Photos/ Google Drive. Add the photos/docs to those from your PC and then sign into those apps on the phone with same Google account. Or use MS OneDrive. Same thing. Both work fine. You’re making this more difficult than it has to be.
View All Quotes

IMHO, having to upload shit to Google Drive or the iCloud and then download it again one file at a time is making things more difficult than they have to be when I can, with the Galaxy, drag and drop hundreds or even thousands of files at a time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#35]

IMHO, having to upload shit to Google Drive or the iCloud and then download it again one file at a time is making things more difficult than they have to be when I can, with the Galaxy, drag and drop hundreds or even thousands of files at a time.
View Quote

If it’s an iPhone 15 with USB-C port, you can plug a USB-C cable in, and should be able to do it that way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
Skeptical
View Quote

Yep.

User error.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I use an ipad pro for work when i travel, so it would be a no for me.  Very convenient to have all my stuff shared across all my devices instantly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#38]

If it’s an iPhone 15 with USB-C port, you can plug a USB-C cable in, and should be able to do it that way.
View All Quotes

Not with a PC you can't.  Maybe with a Mac.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Yep.

User error.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
Originally Posted By HDLS:
Skeptical

Yep.

User error.

PEBKAC
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Well it was a thought.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Well it was a thought.

View All Quotes

Well it was a thought.

I think you can do the same with a Windows PC, but it requires iTunes on Windows, which isn’t what Rik wants.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Part 1, I call bullshit.

View All Quotes

Part 1, I call bullshit.

uh, by living it.

I've been in meetings several times where people expressed irritation cause nobody had a lightning cable and I could just power my phone off my laptop charger. IPhone's coming around though, newest models are USB-C.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#43]

I think you can do the same with a Windows PC, but it requires iTunes on Windows, which isn’t what Rik wants.
View All Quotes

Well it was a thought.

I've never transferred files to my phone but when getting new phones I've always plugged my iphone into my windows computer, navigated to the folder or folders with the photos and copied them over. It's not as simple as it should be but I also didn't use itunes.

The cloud has been seemless and never failed me but I prefer to back up first as a belt and suspenders approach.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#44]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

I've never transferred files to my phone but when getting new phones I've always plugged my iphone into my windows computer, navigated to the folder or folders with the photos and copied them over. It's not as simple as it should be but I also didn't use itunes.

The cloud has been seemless and never failed me but I prefer to back up first as a belt and suspenders approach.
View All Quotes

Well it was a thought.

Full disclosure, I’ve haven’t used Windows on my personal laptop since 7.  My work laptop is Windows 11, but I don’t sync my personal phone to it.

Honestly, I use iCloud Drive and One Drive to sync everything nowadays, but Rik specifically said he wanted to use a cable for transferring.  In these threads, I try solve the problem as presented rather than resorting to, “change your workflow to accommodate the technology.”
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

Or, and I’m just spitballing here, they don’t give a shit.
View Quote

You're right.  I don't.

With the exception of the notification sounds (which I admitted I could probably correct if I dug into it) everything else I griped about is NOT user error.

It's a work phone, so there aren't many apps that I use on it.  I really only need it for email, calls, and text messages that are company business.  I'll leave the rest to my iPhone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Well it was a thought.

You have to DL iTunes for your PC?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuco22] [#47]
Been android my whole life, no opinion on Apple cuz I never used it. I might be missing out for all I know but I don't have problems with Android so I never cared to switch. :shrug:

Only thing I'll add is I do enjoy being able to charge my phone off any usbc cable I find laying around but I think Apple finally came to their senses and made the switch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Well it was a thought.

I think I have old info.  APPARITION says he’s syncing photos on Windows without iTunes.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a personal Windows machine to try it out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:37:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APPARITION] [#49]

Full disclosure, I’ve haven’t used Windows on my personal laptop since 7.  My work laptop is Windows 11, but I don’t sync my personal phone to it.

Honestly, I use iCloud Drive and One Drive to sync everything nowadays, but Rik specifically said he wanted to use a cable for transferring.  In these threads, I try solve the problem as presented rather than resorting to, “change your workflow to accommodate the technology.”
View All Quotes

Well it was a thought.

I have no idea if the transfer can go both ways, I've not tried it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/import-photos-and-videos-from-an-iphone-to-pc-2e4e4db4-4c3d-041c-b88f-3ee4358dd95e

Import photos and videos from an iPhone to PC
Windows 10
Transfer photos from an iPhone to your PC.

First, connect your iPhone to a PC with a USB cable that can transfer files.

Turn your phone on and unlock it. Your PC can’t find the device if the device is locked.

On your PC, select the Start  button and then select Photos to open the Photos app.

Select Import > From a USB device, then follow the instructions. You can pick the items you want to import and select where to save them. Allow a few moments for detection and transfer.

Make sure the photos you want to import are actually on the device rather than in the cloud. Then, follow the steps for your type of device.

For more info, see Import photos and videos from phone to PC
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

I have a few Sandisk iXpand drives that I can use for that.  I've never had much success plugging an iPhone into a computer like you described, so I use them as a way around that.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top