[#1]
Construction begins on high-speed rail to Las Vegas
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bobbitybobbity:
Another bullshit boondoggle.
View Quote

FPNI will never be finished but the mansions are going to pop up everywhere from this windfall!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Sharkman74:
certainly Pelosis Husbands company will be involved and make BILLIONS from this boondoggle
View Quote

feinstein's too!...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
$12 billion??????  Damn, the Union Pacific line was built for $109 million back in the day, adjusted to current dollars, that would only be $2.5 billion.
View Quote
They had slightly fewer environmental studies.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Do local politicians get bribes and kickbacks right from the start or do they have to wait a bit?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bssrf4:
They had slightly fewer environmental studies.
View Quote
It's high speed rail too, to be fair, and not even the fastest possible. If they opted for maglev tech, it would have been significantly more expensive than that (over 100 billion for sure). It's a shame it's not economically viable, because I'd like to see it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Click click click and I found round trip for $180.

Why the fuck would I take a train?!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161250/6B66DE35-79A0-45D7-8793-E9511A23FF22-3195162.png
View Quote

Not having to set foot in LAX is a start…

Is this the deal that hired an engineer from SNECMA (the French have been operating high speed trains for 50 years pretty successfully—safely and well run, no comment on profitability) who finally threw up his hands and walked because California was beyond fucked up? Pretty damning statement coming from a Frenchman.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:

MILLIONS of travelers.  MILLIONS!

Absolutely a bullshit boondoggle, but an awesome opportunity for graft.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

We can't exactly import Chinamen that are cheap and disposable anymore.
View Quote

What are you talking about? There are hundreds of young, fit, camera-shy Chinese men coming across the border every day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
I'm guessing years behind schedule and several billion over budget and no one held accountable.

Years later the audit will reveal missing money and payoffs to corrupt officials.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BSmith79:
You can often fly to Vegas with a little planning for like $100 odd bucks. $400 for a train? Lol.
View Quote

I drove to Vegas the other day to pick up SirSqueeboo from the airport there and it took me 2 hrs and 49 minutes to reach the city limits.  3 hours and 7 minutes to get to the airport.  Gas expenses were under $100.  I drove from a bit farther away (maybe 15-20 minutes in light to moderate traffic) from Rancho Cucamonga.  While I think the concept of a fast train to Vegas from the area is nice, the execution is not making much sense to me.  It only saves me significant time if there is heavy traffic compared to driving.  With planning, peak traffic can be avoided.  Flying out of Ontario airport is also less expensive and with precheck and, with some airlines, priority check-in (if I am checking bags), I can get to the airport and through to my gate in under an hour, typically, and then the flight itself is short.  Driving, though, gives me a means to get around without having to rent a car or get Ubers, cabs, etc. if I need to travel farther than is reasonable to walk and I won't be drinking.

The duration of the travel plus the proposed cost simply does not make sense under most circumstances.  Having a high speed train on this route does, and I've been saying this for years, but not like this.  I can't imagine I'd use it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Paul:

You're kidding right?

The state counts on California tourist.

View Quote

True…
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BluDragon:
$400 a head seems steep, but it'll keep the poors away.  For most SoCal residents, it's about a 4-hour drive to Vegas.  A flight from any of the major airports is about an hour, but you have to factor in the pre-boarding, TSA ball-groping and baggage claim, which equates to about four hours altogether.  The train travel time plus any TSA-style shenanigans would also equal about 4+ hours.  Factor in car rental / Uber and you've got more $$ and more time.

I used to enjoy going to Vegas, but it has become another Kommiefornia with bums everywhere, the whole strip smells like weed, and pretty much everywhere charges for parking now.  No thanks, I can stay here and get the same experience without having to board a bullet-train boondoggle.
View Quote

If they have anything even remotely close to airport style screening then this option loses whatever bit of attraction it may still have for me.  If I'm going to have to deal with that bullshit I might as well fly, and I can avoid it altogether by driving.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#16]

The Japanese already tried and said ‘fuck this’.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

If they have anything even remotely close to airport style screening then this option loses whatever bit of attraction it may still have for me.  If I'm going to have to deal with that bullshit I might as well fly, and I can avoid it altogether by driving.
View Quote
No guns. You put your luggage through a metal detector, and then step through yourself, but that's it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Genin:
I'm predicting 20%over-runs beyond original cost bid.
View Quote

Government projects typically run 800% over.
Doesn't Calf already have a high speed train system they are working on that they haven't even broken ground on and they have already burnt through the money?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:
We call it the murder train here in S fla..I think we just about to hit an 100 dead bums so far
View Quote

These guys should be in every major city.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
No guns. You put your luggage through a metal detector, and then step through yourself, but that's it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Fuck that.
View Quote
It's a pretty big caveat and my biggest hang up with using the service here. Again, I'd be alright with them following TSA guidelines on checked luggage, but they don't even allow that. Only active duty police can have a gun anywhere in the facility, with prior authorization from security.  DeSantis could probably strong arm them into changing it here (but he won't), but the California line certainly would have no chance of ever allowing it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#22]
It's a pretty big caveat and my biggest hang up with using the service here. Again, I'd be alright with them following TSA guidelines on checked luggage, but they don't even allow that. Only active duty police can have a gun anywhere in the facility, with prior authorization from security.  DeSantis could probably strong arm them into changing it here (but he won't), but the California line certainly would have no chance of ever allowing it.
View All Quotes

Fuck that.

No chance I would ride it in either State under those conditions, and this has always been my fear for high speed rail here, public or private.  If I have to go through the TSA bullshit it would still be better to fly or drive.

This sort of thing totally kills it for me.  Can't bring guns, have to deal with security BS, costs more than the alternatives, does not save a significant amount of time in most cases compared to my alternatives, costs too much in general, etc.  I can't think of any reason why I would bother.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
It's a stretch to call Rancho Cucamonga "Los-Angeles."

But if the trip Actually takes 2 hours and 10 minutes then total travel time won't be far off of flying when you include the airport fuckery.
View Quote

I mean, it could take an hour or two less depending on where you are coming from. Lots of time with LAX you need to add 2-3 hours to the front end of a trip, just to account for traffic.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

I mean, it could take an hour or two less depending on where you are coming from. Lots of time with LAX you need to add 2-3 hours to the front end of a trip, just to account for traffic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
It's a stretch to call Rancho Cucamonga "Los-Angeles."

But if the trip Actually takes 2 hours and 10 minutes then total travel time won't be far off of flying when you include the airport fuckery.

Why fly into LAX to go to Vegas when you can fly directly into Vegas?  Probably would cost less, too.  You would still need to add this to the front of the trip during peak traffic as you would have to go all the way to I-15.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Genin:
I'm predicting 20%over-runs beyond original cost bid.
View Quote

You are a fucking optimist, I was thinking at least 50% over in addition to what ever inflation is over the many years of construction. If it ever gets finished.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Please let this fail!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:
Nevadans should be fighting this. They’ll be destroyed.
View Quote

Our GoP is a gaggle of idiots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By RHR_12:
This Vegas train thing seems to be almost exactly what the Simpsons monorail episode predicted
View Quote

The Simpsons - I Call The Big One Bitey
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:12:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Calling it now.

Way behind schedule.

Way over budget.

Won't get half of what they are estimating as far as people using it.

Will quickly turn into a bum haven and ensure no one actually uses it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Brightline Florida prohibits firearms on all their property, including trains, garages, facilities, and stations.  Brightline West will no doubt do the same.

At least Amtrak allows firearms in checked luggage, not carry-on luggage, and requires 24-hour notice.  I guess that's better than no guns at all.  If California, Nevada, and Brightline West are all taking federal money for this project they should be required to allow firearms in checked luggage.

Ask young people about driving that route or, heck, driving in general.  An entire generation has been steered into hating driving and cars and to prefer public transportation and live in cities.  Everything about cars is more expensive today than in 1956, and the highway system designed in the 1950s with half of today's population doesn't seem to scale up very well.

The only reason I would, and have, ridden a passenger train was for the scenic view, not speed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Yep. I doubt it'll ever be finished.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Where is it said the government is doing the construction?  From what I can tell the government is providing construction funding via tax exempt bonds however Brightline West is doing the actual construction.

This LA Times article is a pretty good write up. Maybe overly optimistic:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-23/la-to-vegas-high-speed-train-breaks-ground

BW says ticket pricing would likely be seasonal and competitive with airlines.

It’s going to be all electric as well. Magic electricity just appears out of thin air. Sure. LOL
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#33]
From LA times article:

About four miles north of Ontario International Airport, the Rancho Cucamonga station will sit on a five-acre property at the northwest corner of Milliken Avenue and Azusa Court in San Bernardo County. This station will be co-located with California Metrolink trains to and from downtown Los Angeles and other locations in Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

Location of the Rancho Cucamonga terminal

Google Map

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Let's get real.  That rendering is missing homeless tents, graffiti, needles, broken beer bottles, vandalized toilets, overflowing trash cans, broken boarded up windows, beggars and drug addicts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Big Dig 2.0
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Wait til those stations are full of illegals selling loose candy and crazed homeless meth heads laying in puddles of piss.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

What are you talking about? There are hundreds of young, fit, camera-shy Chinese men coming across the border every day.
View Quote

They already have jobs .
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
I'm guessing years behind schedule and several billion over budget and no one held accountable.

Years later the audit will reveal missing money and payoffs to corrupt officials.
View Quote

What audit?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#40]
This guy made a pretty good render of what it might look like when it's up and running.

The Brightline West HSR Route Rendered With Unreal Engine 5
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GiveMeBackMyBullets:
Brightline will deliver their 218 mile project from concept to completion far before the state of California finishes their 119 mile project that's been in the works for 15 years.

The private model is how high speed rail should be built in the US. Private companies actually build where there's a legitimate business case that justifies the upfront capital expenditure, whereas the government just throws money at the issue with no consideration of fare box recovery or efficiency & the service ends up being subsidized by taxpayers in perpetuity (see Amtrak).
View Quote
Except for the fact that the feds gave $3.5B in grants for this line (so far). It's a project that the potato in chief likes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:55:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#42]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Except for the fact that the feds gave $3.5B in grants for this line (so far). It's a project that the potato in chief likes.
View Quote

There’s substantial private money as well. The LA Times mentions it, the DOT press release mentions it too. How much exactly isn’t clear. Private companies profit, the taxpayers pick up the tab. Hmm, maybe I need to buy some Brightline stock. Heh

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-approves-25-billion-private-activity-bonds-allocation
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#43]
It’s like $87 to fly round trip.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]
This was proposed about 25 years ago.
The builder back then was Mercedes Benz.
Nothing ever happened.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
A Billionaire’s Blueprint For Building Bullet Trains

Wes Edens has broken ground on Brightline West, his $12 billion Las Vegas-to-SoCal railway, aided by billions from the Biden Administration. But building more high-speed lines like this one won’t be easy.

Under a blazing morning Las Vegas sun, billionaire Wes Edens and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg threw a party this week to mark the start of construction of Brightline West, the first private high-speed railway in the U.S., driving yellow spikes into a section of track.

Now comes the hard part. The $12 billion project is three years behind his original schedule — delayed by the pandemic and final environmental approvals — but if construction goes as fast as the billionaire cofounder of Fortress Investment Group promises, it'll open in time to speed travelers across the desert at 200 miles per hour from Sin City to Southern California in time for the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

“The timeline is both realistic and achievable,” Edens told Forbes. “The impact of this is going to be long-lasting and prodigious. And I want it to be successful because I want the next one and the next one and the next one to happen.”

Breaking down funding for $12B Brightline West high-speed rail between So-Cal, Las Vegas

Breaking down funding for $12B Brightline West high-speed rail between So-Cal, Las Vegas
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:16:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#46]
Originally Posted By realwar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOoekV6Cy8Q

Wes Edens has broken ground on Brightline West, his $12 billion Las Vegas-to-SoCal railway, aided by billions from the Biden Administration. But building more high-speed lines like this one won’t be easy.

Under a blazing morning Las Vegas sun, billionaire Wes Edens and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg threw a party this week to mark the start of construction of Brightline West, the first private high-speed railway in the U.S., driving yellow spikes into a section of track.

Now comes the hard part. The $12 billion project is three years behind his original schedule — delayed by the pandemic and final environmental approvals — but if construction goes as fast as the billionaire cofounder of Fortress Investment Group promises, it'll open in time to speed travelers across the desert at 200 miles per hour from Sin City to Southern California in time for the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

“The timeline is both realistic and achievable,” Edens told Forbes. “The impact of this is going to be long-lasting and prodigious. And I want it to be successful because I want the next one and the next one and the next one to happen.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEpTDkyknBw
View Quote

That spike pounding ceremony in the second video was fucking pathetic. I would be ashamed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:

Let's get real.  That rendering is missing homeless tents, graffiti, needles, broken beer bottles, vandalized toilets, overflowing trash cans, broken boarded up windows, beggars and drug addicts.
View All Quotes

It's not bad out there. Not perfect by any means, but that perception of the areas show that you don't know it at all. It's not LA.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#48]

It's not bad out there. Not perfect by any means, but that perception of the areas show that you don't know it at all. It's not LA.
View All Quotes

I was thinking what it'll look like after a few years.  I hope it stays decent.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Paul:

You're kidding right?

The state counts on California tourist.

View Quote

And labor from those who have two strikes and leave CA for Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Blackbeard28:
Brightline trains seem to hit a lot of people/cars in this state.
View Quote

My agency has worked a couple of brightline train v ped cases on the treasure coast.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top