Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I hauled lots of freight out of Florida when I pulled refrigerated trailers. It was mostly produce, which sucked big time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
He might need to move around.

My company is hiring OTR but we're based out of WI.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I know he tried Schneider and swift but have him call back and tell them he’s willing to do OTR.
I have a few buddies that got their CDL and no one local would hire them til they had some time on their license with no incidents.
They did OTR for 2 years and saved all their money since they were still staying at home and never there.
They then got hired hauling for the refinery running localwith great pay and benefits.
They all said it sucked at first but they wouldn’t change a thing.
They were young, had a blast, saved a ton of money and then had enough to buy their first house.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
He should hit up every construction trucking company in the area tri axle dump drivers usually get paid well and you're home every night. Many of them have dump trailers too.

Plus he will gain actual experience in a truck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
See if he can get on with the DOT there.  I know in NC they are exempt from the truck driving school to get a CDL. They still have to document the training. But do it inhouse. I specifically asked about it. If he likes it just stay somewhat active. Even part time.

The reason I say stay active, is many places won't hire a person without one of recent experience. Even though I have had my CDL for 30 years, they still complain about that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:46:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OKnativeson] [#6]
Wal-Mart

Concrete and dirt haulers

Oil/Gas

UPS

find out who has the local USPS distributor trucking contract for your area.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By liber45:
The reason he is not getting offers is he is an unknown. No experience, no miles. Insurance is through the roof and employers are cautious. Any tri-axle (dump truck, cement truck) jobs, or day cab jobs so he can get his foot in the door? Good luck.
View Quote

I've always heard those type of local jobs are harder to get then OTR jobs...

I had a CDL once drove local hazmat for two years but its likely different out here, vs Florida.

A lot more local jobs due to all the energy and oil jobs in Wyoming.

I doubt I'd have got my job in Florida.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

I had a CDL once drove local hazmat for two years but its likely different out here, vs Florida.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
Originally Posted By liber45:
The reason he is not getting offers is he is an unknown. No experience, no miles. Insurance is through the roof and employers are cautious. Any tri-axle (dump truck, cement truck) jobs, or day cab jobs so he can get his foot in the door? Good luck.

OTR used to be the easiest to get but lots of foreign people are getting into it flooding the market. Then you have CDL schools that offer free tuition and training but you have to work for them for 2 years minimum.

Local companies will hire a 21 year old with a CDL pretty quickly nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
How hard is it to get your CDL now and how long does it take?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ar154all:
My kid went and got his CDL.  During class, the recruiting folks all but assured him a job the day he passes his testing.  He passed his testing.  Swift, Werner, and Schneider all had folks that shook hand and told him to call after completing the course and they would set him up.  When he called, they 'were not hiring new drivers in this area'.

I know jack diddly about driving and the culture.

Does anyone have an idea where I can send this kid too get behind the wheel for a couple of years?

21 years old, Marion County, FL. HS Grad.  Won't Quit.

Sincerely
Me.

View Quote
PM sent.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I see signs in the back of Walmart trucks that they're hiring. He might check trash truck companies, anything that's delivered locally (think milk, 3rd produce companies), maybe Tyson foods, Sysco, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:
Jesus all the hate here.

All OP is asking for is some basic advice on a subject he knows nothing about and would like to see what his kid can do to improve his odds. Isn’t OTR trucking seeing a shortage problem? GD assured me that it’s impossible to find good sober drivers. Now they dog pile on the OP whose son is trying to WORK in a field, that GD said needed help? Damn. I applaud OPs son for getting off his ass getting his CDL and trying to work a thankless job.

Sorry OP can’t help you, not in that field. Hopefully someone will come along and take you seriously.
View Quote

No shortage of drivers. Just a shortage of quality employers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Swift?

S tevie
W onders
I nstitute
F or
T rucking
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 1975:
View Quote

They made it a little harder a few years ago with mandatory ELD training. Most places around here it takes 4 weeks for school
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 210grum:
Why's a 21 year old man's father trying to find him a job? Seems that's the first issue at hand
View Quote

Edgy, dude.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo0506] [#16]
I met a guy at a job site once, said his kid needed a job, asked me to hire him.  I told him to send him to the office Monday, I’d look in to it.

Kid got a job. Made $48,000 his first year at his first job. He drives a forklift 7a-4p.

I don’t care how he got here. I do care that he always shows up.

Good on you for helping to find your son a job OP.

ETA: Son moved out, got a car and his own place. I’m their hero, but it’s the kid that showed up and works hard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Marion County Florida? Start knocking on loggers doors, there’s got to be several crews around that area. Loggers are always hunting drivers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By st0newall:
whatever you do have him stay away from hauling sheet metal spools.
View Quote

"I like the way you roll... ----------(no-homo)..."
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Does he have tanker endorsement?

Oakley or Indian River run up and down the eastern seaboard.
Juice going north, milk  cream, chocolate. Veggie oils going south

No touch freight
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Oilfield jobs are still paying ok money.  Have him apply at liberty oilfield services.  They work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.  Only problem is he would have to figure out how to get to either texas, north Dakota or Colorado for his shif then get home again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Look local dump truck or mixer.  Here in Utah they will hire new guys and train them.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:34:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notarandomname] [#22]
My uncle works for Best Buy. Drives dallas to Houston
Home every night

Look at them

He has been there forever

It’s the only job he has ever had.    

Loves it
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, I can’t really help you a lot. School bus driver has been mentioned. Coal truck drivers seem to be in demand around here at certain times if they can find one that’ll pass a drug test.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Most larger companies require 2 years experience. Find a small one and gain experience. After that he can expect recruitment bonuses and to make 80-100k with ease and still have a work/life balance
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Check with the companies around the ports.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Sent this to him.

I appreciate all helpful input.  

I don't understand this 'turn 18 and GTFO' attitude some of you have.  I won't let my kids out of the house until they can stand on their two feet. I don't want them to have to struggle the way I did.  I want better for them than what I had/have.

Anyway, please keep helpful comments coming.

Thanks again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
OP go poke around on truckers report forum. I can't remember his name, but there's a guy on it that will be able to help.

Sent this to him.

I don't understand this 'turn 18 and GTFO' attitude some of you have.  I won't let my kids out of the house until they can stand on their two feet. I don't want them to have to struggle the way I did.  I want better for them than what I had/have.

Thanks again.

I can't remember the companies name but, I was bs'ing with a fuel delivery guy north of Tampa last road trip. He was training a new guy.

He said they normally have openings but I have no idea if your son would need any experience to get hired.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Look into STAR trucking. They work almost exclusively for my company hauling commercial HVAC equipment from Lakeland to sites around FL.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Sent this to him.

Thanks again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
OP go poke around on truckers report forum. I can't remember his name, but there's a guy on it that will be able to help.

Sent this to him.

Thanks again.
OP, you're a good dad. Don't even pay attention to the haters.

I have nothing to offer except that I hope your son finds a job that he likes and pays well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#29]
At 21, with no experience, he’s difficult to insure for the vast majority of companies. I managed a 30 truck reefer OTR fleet 10+years ago and at that time we couldn’t hire anyone with less than 2 years experience per insurance policy. Usually saw people catch on with the mega fleets, get the experience, and then jump for better gigs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#30]
All those companies suck.   Make sure he does not do anything that uses a handcart as stated earlier.
Haul trucks for the mines if he moves to Nevada.  Great pay and lots of work for lots of other companies that support the mines.  It is also a stepping stone for other mine driving jobs that pay way better.   Best of luck to him.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I think some people have father issues, or maybe they're just raving assholes.

Listen up autists: good parents help their children.  It only becomes an issue when he insists on riding shotgun and delivering a constant stream of driving tips

Search for truck driver recruitment fair gave some links, including

https://schneiderjobs.com/truck-driving-jobs/recruiting-events/state-details/FL

https://www.hiringdriversnow.com/driver-jobs-in-florida
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Pointmic:
All those companies suck.   Make sure he does not do anything that uses a handcart as stated earlier.
Haul trucks for the mines if he moves to Nevada.  Great pay and lots of work for lots of other companies that support the mines.  It is also a stepping stone for other mine driving jobs that pay way better.   Best of luck to him.
View Quote

I know guys who work 32-40 hours a week making 100k a year pushing groceries.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merkel1] [#33]
I run a handful of trucks and the industry is crap right now.  Find a smaller company who will most likely care about the drivers more than the larger ones.  The larger ones use and abuse and companies like Swift are a laughing stock to the pro drivers which is not a resume builder in my opinion.  Most will not take a new driver due to insurance rates and they just plain damage stuff.  I hired a driver right out of school knowing something would be damaged but had a hunch he would pay off and he has.  I run OTR / Regional and Local drivers but most of my drivers get home every night to see the family but the money is in OTR.  From what I see is typically drivers always follow the same life cycle……OTR, Regional, Local and Shuttles.  OTR … don’t expect to have a family as it’s miserable but some like it,  To most…it’s a means to the end.  All in all if your son can’t do what’s asked, be safe, be detail oriented, and realize trucking is a life, not a job he will not succeed.  One last thing, stick with 53’ dry vans or 53’ refers to start.  I have plenty of people looking for driver positions that were in a dump truck, gas trucks ect but the 53 is another animal.  If you can drive a 53 you can tug anything especially when it comes to backing in.  I don’t even look at anything other that 53’ drivers.  Don’t really care about the type of trailer….it’s all about backing in and size of the truck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Something not mentioned but worth looking into are utility companies, they are willing to train linemen and linemen typically need a CDL.  He'd have a  huge leg up over the guys who are starting as helpers, not all guys end up working line crews either.  Most have local transport as well.

Even local beverage/grocery as much as it sucks pushing a hand truck he can gain a ton of driving experience especially in tight area in cities which pays off when you start driving for bigger companies.  Those companies will hire new straight off the street especially since he has his CDL.  He needs to be careful with his back with any of those companies, lift with the legs not the back and don't get in a hurry because they don't care if you're hurt and laid up at home.

Experience is what he needs and many local companies to include concrete, dump, and lumber can get him a lot of it in a short time.  Nothing small pays all that well but it gets you in a position to be able to move up with experience.  Also being able to manage his route helps with the better big companies so there's that to be said for anything local.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn’t see this mentioned but he could look at being a bull hauler.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#36]
You’re a good dad trying to help- forget the losers on this thread.

Steer clear from the big names and OTR unless he wants to spend 24 hrs a day with Somali that doesn’t shower

Local jobs with big names like FEDEX/UPS pay well, that's where I’d look
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By phungus:
I guess we find out who all don’t have kids or step kids in this thread?

View Quote

No kidding I cannot believe the bottom feeders that this site attracts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Merkel1:
I run a handful of trucks and the industry is crap right now.  Find a smaller company who will most likely care about the drivers more than the larger ones.  The larger ones use and abuse and companies like Swift are a laughing stock to the pro drivers which is not a resume builder in my opinion.  Most will not take a new driver due to insurance rates and they just plain damage stuff.  I hired a driver right out of school knowing something would be damaged but had a hunch he would pay off and he has.  I run OTR / Regional and Local drivers but most of my drivers get home every night to see the family but the money is in OTR.  From what I see is typically drivers always follow the same life cycle……OTR, Regional, Local and Shuttles.  OTR … don’t expect to have a family as it’s miserable but some like it,  To most…it’s a means to the end.  All in all if your son can’t do what’s asked, be safe, be detail oriented, and realize trucking is a life, not a job he will not succeed.  One last thing, stick with 53’ dry vans or 53’ refers to start.  I have plenty of people looking for driver positions that were in a dump truck, gas trucks ect but the 53 is another animal.  If you can drive a 53 you can tug anything especially when it comes to backing in.  I don’t even look at anything other that 53’ drivers.  Don’t really care about the type of trailer….it’s all about backing in and size of the truck.
View Quote

I’ve seen multiple 20 year drivers who only pulled 53’ and tankers fail a backing portion on a driving test with a pup trailer. Kinda funny to watch honestly when you know they have that much experience. Those pups will get away from you fast.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Haven’t read the whole thread, but have a friend who drives for Walmart.
Not OTR, home every night, great income and benefits.

He’s a fan. Just saying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:59:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#40]
The problem is a paradox: you need "x years" OTR experience to get hired but you can't get any experience because they won't hire you. Usually want 5+ years OTR. And 25+yo.

Be valuable get licensed for:
doubles.
Triples.
Tankers.
Hazmat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:02:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Midyew5959] [#41]
My kid went and got his CDL.  During class, the recruiting folks all but assured him a job the day he passes his testing.  He passed his testing.  Swift, Werner, and Schneider all had folks that shook hand and told him to call after completing the course and they would set him up.  When he called, they 'were not hiring new drivers in this area'.

I know jack diddly about driving and the culture.

Does anyone have an idea where I can send this kid too get behind the wheel for a couple of years?

21 years old, Marion County, FL. HS Grad.  Won't Quit.

Sincerely
Me.

View Quote

You sure you phrased that right?  Because according to that wording, they never assured him a job.  They did all, EXCEPT assure him a job.  Along those lines, a hand shake means fuck all.  If it was not put into writing, it was not guaranteed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#42]
In this thread we find out who grew up “fatherless”.

Sounds like you did a good job with your son OP
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Huskercoop:

I’ve seen multiple 20 year drivers who only pulled 53’ and tankers fail a backing portion on a driving test with a pup trailer. Kinda funny to watch honestly when you know they have that much experience. Those pups will get away from you fast.
View Quote

It is crazy too say the least.  The odds are with the 53’ drivers on backing than the smaller trailers.  All in all every driver will tell you that they will not damage your equipment, can back up like a pro but like anything else proof is in the pudding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#44]
PM inbound in the next 24 if interested busy at the moment

I can recommend a straight up best as it gets training company that will give him good safety oriented training and put him in a walk away anytime lease after 80k miles where he may gross
270k on a 1099 with 85k net taxable first year solo

Net was 110 to 128 before the tariffs feel out 30 percent in late ‘23.

This is ‘53 reefer service with a national carriers sister company. Tough schedules and all over the lower 48, which a crucible of sorts.

message sent.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd want to help my son find a job when he is 61.

My wife and I own an auto shipping brokerage. We can't find good drivers at all anymore. I'm sure insurance would be steep for a new owner operator but if he can start his own gig hauling cars, there's money to be made.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#46]
UPS would be great,  region dependant they are slowing and cutting back

FedEx is a sub contractor. Avoid

Dump trucks, concrete trucks (Craigslist).

Trash trucks

Tow trucks (most didn't need CDL)

Say what you want about unions, the teamsters provided me top pay, medical, and now a pension with job stability. Call the local hall

Notice none of my list above is over the road. Shitty life eating garbage and dodging list of scumbags versus sleeping in your own bed. And bagging better money

Pay will be lighter as he has no experience, but that comes in time.

Good luck

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
OP. Send him to the oilfield. Halliburton or Slumberger will hire him. They get an extra few bucks an hour for having a CDL.
View Quote

OP,
I’m surrounded by 19 year old kids who make 6 figures. I’m not kidding. Send your son to the oilfield.

@JLPettimoreIII

Help me out with the OP.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ibn_Huq:
PM inbound in the next 24 if interested busy at the moment

I can recommend a straight up best as it gets training company that will give him good safety oriented training and put him in a walk away anytime lease after 80k miles where he may gross
270k on a 1099 with 85k net taxable first year solo

Net was 110 to 128 before the tariffs feel out 30 percent in late ‘23.

This is ‘53 reefer service with a national carriers sister company. Tough schedules and all over the lower 48, which a crucible of sorts.

message sent.
View Quote

Sounds like a rough gig.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
Garbage company? Concrete? Commercial development? Dump trucks?
View Quote

Construction companies with big jobs nearby, heavy equipment operators unions?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 1975:
View Quote

Two months, a written and a practical test
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top