BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ShortyAK:
I always back in, it's much safer. The fact that it triggers some people is just a bonus.
View Quote

Try that in any Houston parking lot and you will find a car in that space, the guy behind you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Its hard to back out of a parking spot when you’re drunk, so we back in when we get there.  
View Quote

Drive through daiquiri places exist in LA for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The local police love writing parking tickets for back in parking.

Back-in Parking Prohibited, So I Made a Car with Two Fronts
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
That's because those Cajuns are always ready to get it on!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Tons of plant workers in my area. Most plants require backing in to a parking spot. It allows for faster egress during an emergency. I've worked in plants that one could not park if there were not sufficient space to back in or pull through.

There is a chemical facility here that has parking designed only to pull in. It is odd since they have a history of incidents.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]
As a former fireman, I support this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I always back in as well, my truck or the old ladys 4Runner.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
"Civilians"

LOL
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:

And I have argued for years it’s safer to back out of a space than to back in. We did that stupid shit working for Exxon and others for years and I never could see a reason why.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Its_Raining_Lead:
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Than any other state in the US. Without a doubt.

Lots of oil industry. Many service oriented companies hammer this in to folks as a safety thing if you drive a company vehicle. Least the civilians aren't putting an orange cone on their front bumper as well.

And I have argued for years it’s safer to back out of a space than to back in. We did that stupid shit working for Exxon and others for years and I never could see a reason why.

It’s safer for already parked vehicles.  Supposedly worse for pedestrians and approaching traffic.  IDK.  I have mirrors, a backup camera, and a functional neck.  It’s a wash to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I like to set myself for a hasty getaway if needed.  My NG buddies jokingly refer to it as combat parking.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Lots of oil industry. Many service oriented companies hammer this in to folks as a safety thing if you drive a company vehicle. Least the civilians aren't putting an orange cone on their front bumper as well.

Your argument is wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I usually back in, but I’m not military. Sorry for the stolen parking valor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
Does midcap back in when he takes his voluptuous lady to dairy-queen?
View Quote
Nah.  Got to center that parking line.  That way the doors will open wide enough, AmIright? @midcap
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Oil and gas manufacturers require it in case of emergency so everyone can get tf outta Dodge if needed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I always back in, it's much safer. The fact that it triggers some people is just a bonus.
View Quote

How is it safer?

If backing in between two vehicles, you're backing into a narrow space, instead of a more open area when backing out of a parking space.

Back in or pull in...some idiot pedestrian can still walk behind you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Safer to back into a spot than to back out of one.
At least that's what they told me many years ago. Of course the license plate reader thing makes sense. Florida is rear plates only so yeah. Here too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

My first thought.  LA has a large number of the two demographic groups that back in park.  From LA. Still visit a lot. Used to work tangential to oil and gas.  I pull through when I can but don’t make a point to back in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#19]
SC disagrees...its almost a disease that they feel they have to back in....
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
Does midcap back in when he takes his voluptuous lady to dairy-queen?
View Quote

Girl you look good won’t you back dat ass up.
Yous a big fine woman won’t you back dat ass up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

An attempt to beat the tag readers that repo services use.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kychas:
I pull through or back in almost every time
It is much safer to do so when you know what is around you
View Quote

FPNI. We are required to do “behind the wheel” training every few years for my company. Just finished my 6th course last month. This is one of the biggest lessons they preach. 60% of vehicle accidents occur in parking lots. I always try to pull thru or back into a parking spot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Except for angled spots at the grocery store, etc., I always back my truck in.  Parking lots aren’t what they used to be so it’s difficult to get a crew can pickup in a spot correctly without backing in. I’m just a wee bit anal about being exactly centered in a spot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By justsayin:
The big one most people ignore is roughly 3/4 of your vehicle is in the traffic path before you can see what's coming,  when backing.

Add people who will gleefully hit you on purpose,  to make a point.....
View Quote

This for sure. In a busy parking lot, it becomes a game of "chicken" in that the backer has to intimidate on-coming traffic into stopping, hopefully far enough back to allow the backer to get out. Way too easy for something to go wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:38:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Palm] [#25]
Its hard to back out of a parking spot when you’re drunk, so we back in when we get there.  
View Quote

That is the only explanation that makes sense. In Texas we simply crash land with a goal to stay mostly within the lines.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I only do it when I'm parking in a very limited size lot where someone else also parking may make my departure more difficult.  

Like a dirt parking lot for a hike where there are only a few spaces at most, and someone late for the party may create a new spot that makes my leaving much harder.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Its hard to back out of a parking spot when you're drunk, so we back in when we get there.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Ok. That makes sense. Lots of "industry" people in the area.
View All Quotes

Ok. That makes sense. Lots of "industry" people in the area.

Wait - so oil industry people are actually military?  

Or people just being assholes and saying that they work in the oil industry so others are "civilians".  Talk about arrogant asses.  It's like cops and firefighters puffing out their chests and calling the general population civilians.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#30]
It is fun going forward into the only parking space left when some back in guy is driving past that space to back in.

Some people get upset when you do this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Then I call AAA to take me and my truck home.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#32]
The Army got me doing that. "Combat parking" so you can didi mao in a hurry.

Now I do it as a safety measure. Parking lot car accidents are almost always rated 50/50 by insurance companies, so I don't want to have to pay my deductible because somebody else isn't paying attention. I really dislike parking lots with angled parking spaces that force you to pull in head-first (i.e. all of California and H-E-B here in Texas).
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:

You don’t take yours when you park?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256621/IMG_5021_jpeg-3195608.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
No front plates?

Roaming plate reader drivers:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243302/Angry_feels_wojak_jpg-3195551.JPG

You don’t take yours when you park?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256621/IMG_5021_jpeg-3195608.JPG

Hell yeah, I put those in all my cars back in the 80's.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I back in 90% of the time when driving my truck, but only rarely when driving my wife's Telluride.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowboundinNH] [#35]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

How is it safer?

If backing in between two vehicles, you're backing into a narrow space, instead of a more open area when backing out of a parking space.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VACaver:

How is it safer?

It's safer when you leave because you can see everybody and all the cars around you as you pull out. As I mentioned in my last post, you'll get screwed on an insurance claim otherwise (they'll rate it 50/50 as a "he said, she said". BTDT).
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Assuming you're driving one of the 99.9% of vehicles with steering wheels in the front, it's a simple geometry issue and is the same reason you pull past a space in order to parallel park. Also, if you have a back up camera, you can see the whole space as you back in. If you're backing out of a space, the camera doesn't help to see any cross traffic.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#37]
The big one most people ignore is roughly 3/4 of your vehicle is in the traffic path before you can see what's coming,  when backing.

Add people who will gleefully hit you on purpose,  to make a point.....
View Quote

Does your vehicle not have radar and optical sensors?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#38]
The big one most people ignore is roughly 3/4 of your vehicle is in the traffic path before you can see what's coming,  when backing. ....
View Quote

With my van I actually have better visibility backing out with the wide angle backup cam.

It really doesn't matter.  Either you back in when you arrive or back out when you leave.  Flip a coin.

Kind of regret backing in sometimes at a store when you go to load your goods and can’t access your tailgate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Airborne11B:
"Civilians"

LOL
View Quote
Civilians has been redefined to; anyone that's not in "my group"
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
It is fun going forward into the only parking space left when some back in guy is driving past that space to back in.

Some people get upset when you do this.
View Quote

“Hey asshole, I was here first!”

“Oh really?  Then why is my car parked there and yours isn’t?”

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I wonder if there is a correlation between states that only require rear plates and police having an issue with backing in? Sure is more difficult to scan everyone’s plates when people are backed in with no front plate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Addenum; Backing in is good for most situations but when you have a lot of crap to load into the bed of your truck or van pull in nose first. Lot more room in the aisle to work in than trying to wedge yourself between your back bumper and the asshole who parked a foot away from your bumper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:06:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#44]
I looking at head end in vs back end in parking sort of like the shopping cart theory.

But rather than a litmus test of sorts for whether a person is capable of self-governance and possesses good moral character, parking direction theory suggests that parking in a manner that does not require backing out when leaving indicates a person’s ability to delay gratification, to plan ahead, to orchestrate and to strategize, all of which somewhat correlate to IQ.

Angled parking spots in directional aisles would be an obvious exception.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:13:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#45]
For me it depends on the car being driven, what I'm doing, and the backup technology installed.

If I'm shopping and want trunk access, I pull in. Even if you park the furthest from the store, someone always parks next to you or behind you.

If I'm driving a sports car, the front end is low, so backing in is better, especially if that car has a nice rear camera and no front camera. I've become so used to cameras, I don't like backing in older vehicles and tend not to do it. If I'm parking in a lot that's a bitch to get out of on a street or noway to see, I back in.

Because of Tesla's design, they have also taught drivers to back in more frequently (the Tesla charging stations require you to back in)
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By intercooler:
SC disagrees...its almost a disease that they feel they have to back in....
View Quote

Same here in the Atlanta area. Even the angled parking spaces, they either go down the aisle or street the wrong way or do a 10 point maneuver to back in. Then when they leave they have the same issues.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

More long-bed pickups and big SUVs (Suburban, Armada, etc.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:47:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#48]
Originally Posted By RobertL:
So, I have a choice of backing into an empty parking space or backing out into traffic.  How will I ever choose?

I’ve never understood how this is even a question.
View Quote

+1

ETA: Most people that I know that do not back into parking spots, can't do it efficiently. It takes them 9 tries.
As a field tech, I put hundreds of thousands of miles on Ford E150 vans. Those vans need to be backed into parking spaces. You could spot a noob a mile off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#49]
It was a very cute southern belle who told me "you might want to back in, in case we have to leave in a hurry.  
That was somewhere in Fulton county, I can't recall exactly where.  
I took her words to heart and haven't pulled forward into a parking space since.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Do you know how many unpaid camera tickets I have? Damn plate reader vans patrol constantly (mostly in the affluent areas) and booting your vehicle is the only way they can collect the fines.

There's 2 things I always do when parking in Orleans Parish.

#1 Always back in parking lot spaces.
#2 Never stay parked on the street for more than 30 minutes.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top