Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Been on 4/10 for years. One of the main reasons i chose this company.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: victorgonzales] [#2]
They could have pushed for 4-10 and had 3 day weekends but Instead they demanded a 20 percent raise and an extra day off every week.  So we'll get nothing lol

ETA -  I work a 4-10 /5-10 alternating schedule.  I could work 4-10 only but I need the overtime right now due to inflation so I can keep my retirement plan growing.   The three day weekends are great.    I'd work 4-12 every week but I have to take my kid to school and the place isn't open late enough to stay that late
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked 9/80 better than 4/10.

Shit, I like 5/40 more than 4/10.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prae:
I just moved my group to 4/10s here and love it.   Granted we still pick up the phone one weekends if need be, but every Fri off is nice.

But that's 40 not 32.   :shrug:
View Quote

This is the way.

I work 10s pretty much non stop all year so 4x10s would be 8-14 hrs less a week.

The OT can be nice but I value my time more.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You're lazy, you just stay in bed
You're lazy, just stay in bed
You don't want no money, you don't want no bread
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a terrible idea as long as everyone is on board.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
You're lazy, you just stay in bed
You're lazy, just stay in bed
You don't want no money, you don't want no bread
View Quote

But Uncle Sam's dumb
And keeps you fed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
This will not help the millenials shake off that "lazy" reputation..
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
We're on 8/5s but they shove an hour in for lunch so its really 9/5s.

Is that the same for other people working 40 hours 5 days a week? 8 am - 5 pm.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
I'd work 4 12's to get three days off...
View Quote
That's what I do
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-15Fan] [#11]
Why is 40 hrs somehow virtuous, and 32 hrs lazy?  What robber baron decided 5 days out of seven was the magic number in 1800 or whenever?  Hell probably people had to die striking to even get that.

You slackers shouldn't even get weekends off!  Want to eat? Then get back in the factory, peasant!

Fuck all that - I'm sick of lip service to "work-life balance".  5 on 2 off is not balance.  4 on and 3 off is quite a bit better.  

I want 4 days/32 hrs as a Gen X'er and as a salaried worker (IT) I'd like take a pay cut myself.  Though I'd argue with improved morale and productivity it shouldn't be 20%...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#12]
40 hrs/week would be a part time job for me. I have been a chef 30 years and even when I was a line cook, I averaged 45-50 hrs week(yes, I racked up OT).

As an Exec chef, 55+ hours a week is about standard.

32 a week is a joke.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Soooooo business will screw this up by saying its four 12 hour days?
Mon/Tues and Thurs/Fri?

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Soft mofos
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#15]
Originally Posted By AR-15Fan:
Why is 40 hrs somehow virtuous, and 32 hrs lazy?  What robber baron decided 5 days out of seven was the magic number in 1800 or whenever?  Hell probably people had to die striking to even get that.

You slackers shouldn't even get weekends off!  Want to eat? Then get back in the factory, peasant!

Fuck all that - I'm sick of lip service to "work-life balance".  5 on 2 off is not balance.  4 on and 3 off is quite a bit better.  

I want 4 days/32 hrs as a Gen X'er and as a salaried worker (IT) I'd like take a pay cut myself.  Though I'd argue with improved morale and productivity it shouldn't be 20%...
View Quote

Didn’t ya know this is GD where we’re proud of never getting to see our kids and miss out on all their important life events? All so we can come on the internet and talk shit about how 40 hours isn’t enough and you’re lazy if you don’t work at least 60 a week?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck em:
6x12 and if you are a great employee you get Sunday off, if not you work on Sunday scrubbing the toilets.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Sure, why not? 40 hours a week doesn’t get you enough money to live comfortably in the current system anyway, might as well get an extra day off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#18]
You know you done fucked up right? You said you worked four days into a five day work week? You done fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:
I was working for a contractor at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.  The contractor was from Pennsylvania.

We would do 4, 10’s, straight time.  That way every other weekend was a 4 day weekend.  The other weekends were just your normal Saturday and Sunday off.
 That way on the 4 day weekends, the guys from Pennsylvania could drive back home.  Then they had time to drive back to Missouri.

It was an awesome  schedule.  I loved it!  

View Quote

That is the way my wife's nursing schedule is now.  It's pretty cool, especially since the kids have every Friday off.  I get a whole Monday with her to myself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Not gonna lie. 4 and 3 10s were fucking awesome. I'd have no issue working that schedule again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Was 9/80 and happy with it. We changed to 4/10 a few years ago a love it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesJones] [#22]
2 day weekends do suck.

Fortunately I'm self employed so when works done for the week so am I.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I would love to do a 4 day, 32 hour work week that qualifies my family for health insurance and do a side hustle on the side.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I was on 4-10s for most of my career until about a year ago.

Now I'm doing everything I can to get 4-10s for my guys but the office doesn't like it because....well they can't actually articulate why.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#25]
5-8's, 4-10's, 9-80..... All for slaves.

Wanna improve America? Unite to stop paying Federal and property taxes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#26]
What’s wrong with 4/32?

I suppose it would depend on the industry? In most major corporate offices, how many cubicle-cells are actually working diligently for a full 40 hours as is?

Not many.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I’d happily work four 11 hour days for three day weekends
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Wanting to do less work for same money is lazy BS of younger people.

I would be very happy to work same number of hours I work now but over a 4 work week instead of 5. Two day weekends go by way too fast
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

lol,  they do
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
The government should lead from the front on this if it’s such a great idea.

lol,  they do

Yep. Read the stories about empty offices in DC. Local restaurants out of business because nobody comes into work anymore (and while this is approved WFH, the drones don't do shit -- some congressman found out that during covid, only 25% of employees at HHS actually logged onto their work systems during the whole WFH debacle. Do we think that has changed?)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Yeah, fuck people for wanting to make more money in less time, or wanting to have more time for their actual life outside of work
View Quote

If you don’t work 4-10’s then you lose at least 4 days pay a month. Now you don’t have the money to make the payments on your motorcycle or other hobby. You can do that now. It’s called a”part time” job.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#32]
10 hour days, yeah fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Since we’re subsidizing most of those countries militaries, maybe we should stop that and lower our taxes so we don’t have to work so hard?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:14:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pro_Patria_431] [#34]
I had a supervisor ask about 4/10. I told him to fuck right off with that shit unless he was going to do split shifts. I already came in on the weekends because he wouldn't get people to answer the phone. I wasn't going to work an additional day by myself cause he wouldn't unfuck his dock.

I wouldn't mind it now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
A 9/80 schedule is the best compromise (ie 9 hours Mon-Thurs, 8 hours one Fri, off second Fri) you get one weekday off to do your personal stuff or just recharge and dick around without your wife and kids bothering you before the weekend.

4/10s (10hr Mon-Thru, off every Fri) sucks fucking ass by the end of the day and forget trying to go to any activities with the kids.

Kharn
View Quote

I loved the 4/10 schedule. Would have never went back to five days a week after working that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#36]
The big advantage is a 20% reduction in commuting, lowering costs.  Of course that impacts business, tolls, etc so lobbyists will deny this.  When is FOR THEVPEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE coming back?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AR-15Fan:

View Quote

It's a weird mentality that would oppose the 32 hour week being the new "full time".  Maybe they project the benefit of that going only to people they hate or something.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Most people only do 4-6 hours of actual work in an 8 hour day anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I work a 3-2-2-3 schedule. One week you get 36 hours, the next 48.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Get out there and work, ya wimps! Back when I was young, we worked seven days a week for 12 hours a day on the farm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:29:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWellGuy] [#41]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

you'll have the "proud to work myself to death" types along soon enough

View Quote

I have enough to confidently say I don't have to work another day in my life I have for years. I could make more money investing what I have then working. If you are bad enough off I don't bill at all.

I live my life @ work.

24/7/365 on call, I have worked more than anyone. More than half my life if you started a timer when I was born and stopped it now at 39 years. I don't stop, and I'm never done. Family works with me on Sunday to spend time with me.  I have destroyed my body. Sometimes I park my truck and take a nap so I don't fall asleep at the wheel. Didn't take off a week after my hernia surgery and was lifting fifty pounds within two weeks. Knees ankle wrist back everything is shot. I have never been next to someone who can outwork me. I wouldn't have it any other way. 12 hour days and 5 or six day weeks would make me feel lazy and worthless. Good night busy day tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I could do it.  Cut out all but the most productive meetings, and boom, I'm there.

Hell I could probably take two more days off.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm 34 and have been doing 4x10s + a bit on friday morning for almost ten years now. Call me lazy if you want, but I would not want to go back to 5x8s.

Technically I dont have to put in any time on Fridays, but I usually put in a few hours from home on Friday mornings to catch up on the things that I didn't get done over the rest of the week. 90+% of the time I'm logged off before 11am.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#44]
It’s called four 10s.  It existed before Covid.  Quit blaming millennials for ruining everything.  Even Gen X used 10s to earn a 3 day weekend.  

Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
The coronavirus pandemic upended office traditions around the world, making working from home the new normal and Zoom meetings the favored way to catch up with colleagues and clients. But millennials, often bashed by their elders as being workshy, are keen for more reforms to the work-life balance, with new polling showing the generation is considerably in favor of adopting a four-day working week.

The concept of the four-day working week is simple: employees work a day less than the standard five, which works out as 32 work hours instead of 40. Workers still have to complete the same amount of work in 80 percent of the time, while in many cases still taking home their full compensation package. Numerous major companies have introduced a reduced week either every week or just some weeks, including Kickstarter, Bolt and Dolby.

The idea is certainly gaining momentum. Bernie Sanders, chair of the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, has pushed for four-day weeks in Congress. "The sad reality is, Americans now work more hours than the people of most other wealthy nations. And we're going to talk about what that means to the lives of ordinary people," he told lawmakers at a health committee hearing in March.

"In 2022, employees in the U.S., and I hope people hear this, logged 204 more hours a year than employees in Japan, and they're hardworking people in Japan. 279 more hours than workers in the United Kingdom, and 470 more hours than workers in Germany." Newsweek has contacted Sanders via email for comment and clarification on these figures.

Outside of the Capitol, numerous companies and non-profits dedicated to revolutionizing the way we work are becoming more and more notable. Several trials have been run in the U.S., U.K. and Europe to explore the potential benefits of relaxing more and working less. And it seems the younger generations are keen to capitalize on this growing trend.

why wood millennials do this?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:21:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grunteled] [#45]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
It’s called four 10s.  It existed before Covid.  Quit blaming millennials for ruining everything.  Even Gen X used 10s to earn a 3 day weekend.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
The coronavirus pandemic upended office traditions around the world, making working from home the new normal and Zoom meetings the favored way to catch up with colleagues and clients. But millennials, often bashed by their elders as being workshy, are keen for more reforms to the work-life balance, with new polling showing the generation is considerably in favor of adopting a four-day working week.

The concept of the four-day working week is simple: employees work a day less than the standard five, which works out as 32 work hours instead of 40. Workers still have to complete the same amount of work in 80 percent of the time, while in many cases still taking home their full compensation package. Numerous major companies have introduced a reduced week either every week or just some weeks, including Kickstarter, Bolt and Dolby.

The idea is certainly gaining momentum. Bernie Sanders, chair of the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, has pushed for four-day weeks in Congress. "The sad reality is, Americans now work more hours than the people of most other wealthy nations. And we're going to talk about what that means to the lives of ordinary people," he told lawmakers at a health committee hearing in March.

"In 2022, employees in the U.S., and I hope people hear this, logged 204 more hours a year than employees in Japan, and they're hardworking people in Japan. 279 more hours than workers in the United Kingdom, and 470 more hours than workers in Germany." Newsweek has contacted Sanders via email for comment and clarification on these figures.

Outside of the Capitol, numerous companies and non-profits dedicated to revolutionizing the way we work are becoming more and more notable. Several trials have been run in the U.S., U.K. and Europe to explore the potential benefits of relaxing more and working less. And it seems the younger generations are keen to capitalize on this growing trend.

why wood millennials do this?

You might try reading the things you quote:

The concept of the four-day working week is simple: employees work a day less than the standard five, which works out as 32 work hours instead of 40. Workers still have to complete the same amount of work in 80 percent of the time, while in many cases still taking home their full compensation package.

So it isn't called 4-10's.

Nobody who isn't functionally retarded thinks you will complete the same amount of work in 32hrs that you did in 40, much less the reduced number of days to schedule and meet thus making me even less productive as more meetings are crammed into fewer open hours.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I work 4/10s.  3 day weekends are awesome!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#47]
If everyone can get the same work done in 32 hours instead of 40, then I can fire 20% of the workforce.  I am in full support of 4/10s though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Four 10’s is the best balance IME.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Mike_Anthony:
If millennials are so lazy that they can't even handle a simple 9-5 schedule, then they definitely couldn't handle working as a first responder or in the medical field.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MetalChef:
40 hrs/week would be a part time job for me. I have been a chef 30 years and even when I was a line cook, I averaged 45-50 hrs week(yes, I racked up OT).

As an Exec chef, 55+ hours a week is about standard.

32 a week is a joke.
View Quote

Medieval peasants worked only about 150 days out of the year. The Church believed it was important to keep them happy with frequent, mandatory holidays. You have less free time than a Medieval peasant.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top