BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

Medieval peasants worked only about 150 days out of the year. The Church believed it was important to keep them happy with frequent, mandatory holidays. You have less free time than a Medieval peasant.
View Quote

The people that had starvation-level lives and zero disposable income?  Yeah... okay.  So stipulated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Grunteled:

The people that had starvation-level lives and zero disposable income?  Yeah... okay.  So stipulated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Medieval peasants worked only about 150 days out of the year. The Church believed it was important to keep them happy with frequent, mandatory holidays. You have less free time than a Medieval peasant.

So same situation as millenials now?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]
im at a 3 day 30 week. I make over 100k
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Lazy fucks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By midcap:
So same situation as millenials now?
View Quote

A bit early yet.  Lets talk in 20 years at the pace we are on.  Maybe everyone producing 1/5 less goods and services will really help out.

FWIW: I'm done caring.  Wanna pay me 40hrs for 32hrs to signal progress?  Shit, sign me up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Millennials wanting to make 70% of what boomers make ?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe that’s why HK imports so few USPs these days, if those nazi assholes are only working a few hours a week. That’s a huge amount of off days.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I just started working 4 10 hour days last month. It's amazing. I almost feel like I have too much free time now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to work a lot of non paper pushing jobs. Things often had to be completed right at the moment, no way a four day week would work all the time.

I worked at a place that tried 4 10s for a while. Friday came and we often still got scheduled to come in anyway, got to keep the orders filled.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
TLDR
25+ years here as a 3 day a week RN.
I worked 5 days for a year or so on a project in 2013...fuck all that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not a millennial and Insure wouldn’t mind a 4-day work week

That’s been tossed out there for thirty years, probably more and yet were are still five days.  And I’ve done six day work weeks in the past.  

I still have 6-8 years for a zero day work week, I hope.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Actually it depends on what time period in the medieval era.  By the 1300s and 1400s most medieval peasants were not near starvation and were doing fairly well considering compared to their ancestors.  It is myth that peasants were always living near starvation
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
What’s wrong with 4/32?

I suppose it would depend on the industry? In most major corporate offices, how many cubicle-cells are actually working diligently for a full 40 hours as is?

Not many.
View Quote

That's not going to change if you just lop a day off the work week.  They'll just slack off for four days instead of five.

I don't see many employers being on board with what amounts to a mandated 20% salary increase for every employee.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Medieval peasants worked only about 150 days out of the year.* The Church believed it was important to keep them happy with frequent, mandatory holidays. You have less free time than a Medieval peasant.
View Quote

*For their Lord.

The rest of the year was spent subsistence farming and making nearly everything needed for the home by hand resulting in much less free time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I manage industrial construction projects from concept through start-up.

The engineering and procurement phase of as project is usually a 4/10 schedule with the management team working Fridays to either catch up or stay ahead.

Construction is scheduled as 5/10's with Saturday available to make up for a rain out.  If we have any problems it usually turns into a 13 days on and one off, and likely a night shift as well.  

I'm currently working 11 to 12 hour days, 4 days per week, with  a 2,000 mile flight on Sunday afternoons and Friday mornings.  I am looking forward to this one finishing up so I can start home and work 9/80's or 4/10's for a while.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been doing 4/10's at my day job for 20 years. It's the only way to go. Then I have Friday's and the weekends for my side business and hunting trips.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:20:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#17]
A fomer employer tried the 4-10s as an option when OT was taken away. It didn't work. Their billable time per person per week went down. Gents were fucking off to get to 40 by Thursday. They were pissed off about OT being taken out of the mix. I was a supervisor at my previous job, and was hired to supposedly be a project manager (same job description) after 90 days at this new job. I had never seen so much theft of time anywhere I had ever worked. These were field techs. The powers that be didn't like my take on their operation. The field techs hated me for accurately recording time in and out, lunch, and drive time. I would discreetly follow vans to breakfast, lunch, and travel time to and from. I am surprised I wasn't tarred and feathered. I was let go at 90 days. Oh well. They went tits up (~4 years later) during covid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ll keep my 4 days on/4 days off, 12 hour work days
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
4 day work week. LoL! Can’t get anything done doing that. Back in the 90’s I worked 7-12’s for years. Now I’m down to 6-8’s.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Millennial here. Grew up in a trades family and on a small farm -had to work young. I’ve had enough of giving away 40+ hours to work, usually worked 60+. I’m going part time and don’t care one bit. I am telling customers they have to wait to for me at my convenience. 3-4 days a week is all. No more late nights.

Also cannot find good help, these young guys don’t want to learn. Calling in and playing on the phone all day. So I’m keeping my skills to myself. Been spending more time with my family and doing more projects at home. Much happier these days.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]
4/10 would be incredible.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
The government should lead from the front on this if it’s such a great idea.
View Quote

Called Compressed Work Schedule.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:41:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#23]
I see further increases in morbid obesity, dia-betus, brain rot, and crime as a result of an extra day of zero adulthood.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I am hoping that I get 5 day work weeks before I retire from having 6-7 day work weeks my whole life
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
Most people only do 4-6 hours of actual work in an 8 hour day anyway.  
View Quote
Which is why I don't really care when someone complains about having to work too much. Many are overpaid for the value they produce already, at the expense of their counterparts who are underpaid to pick up their slack.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:
I see further increases in morbid obesity, dia-betus, brain rot, and crime as a result of an extra day of zero adulthood.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#27]
4/10 is vastly superior to 5/8
Granted 4/8 while making the same as 5/8 would obviously be the best answer
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Prae:
I just moved my group to 4/10s here and love it.   Granted we still pick up the phone one weekends if need be, but every Fri off is nice.

But that's 40 not 32.   :shrug:
View Quote

4/10’s are way more efficient than 5/8’s and people are happier and better rested. It’s superior.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:57:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: silane] [#29]
I do 4x9 with an hour lunch, so effectively a 32 hour work week. It's weird.

ETA that doesn't count time I work on the train while commuting to the office, about 45 min each way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#30]
How will people still brag about working 60-70 hours a week for a company that doesn't give a shit about them?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Four ten hour days, or 32-hour weeks, makes sense for many jobs, especially trades and salaried positions. It’s scalable. However, it doesn’t work for many professional jobs like accounting, medicine and law which require more. Obviously, there’s a trade off when working a professional job like those, including higher salaries, but I couldn’t do my job and earn as much with a truncated schedule.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#32]
The only thing I don’t like about my job is 4 10s would never work
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
4 day work week. LoL! Can’t get anything done doing that. Back in the 90’s I worked 7-12’s for years. Now I’m down to 6-8’s.
View Quote

I don't get why people brag about how much they have worked.  Congratulations,  you worked your ass off and wasted your life away working.  On your deathbed, will you be looking back wishing you would have worked more or spent time doing stuff you enjoyed and time with your family?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Stop repeating this University Freshman Level Retardation, please.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:

I don't get why people brag about how much they have worked.  Congratulations,  you worked your ass off and wasted your life away working.  On your deathbed, will you be looking back wishing you would have worked more or spent time doing stuff you enjoyed and time with your family?
View Quote

To me, success means balance.

In my 20s/30s especially there were times I was caught in the machine and it was said the path to catch up to the Big Guys was to sacrifice your youth/prime and then live like a king for ~5-10 yrs in retirement until your health goes and then leave your family a bunch of money when you croak, consumed before your time.

I don't subscribe to this philosophy. My goal has always been to have the option to retire early via working hard AND smart, and then do whatever strikes me. But you do have to invest the hours at some point to fully develop your skills and demonstrate you can operate at the next level and lead others. I don't think many people will do this if they become locked into the idea of working only 4 x 8, which is exactly what 4 x 10 would morph into. I rarely work more than 5 x 10 these days, but they are very effective hours compared to young me as I am more efficient now and can delegate some tasks to others so I can tackle the more complex ones. I could make 4 x 10 work well now, but I wouldn't be who I am today if I had done that from the beginning.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#37]

In my 20s/30s especially there were times I was caught in the machine and it was said the path to catch up to the Big Guys was to sacrifice your youth/prime and then live like a king for ~5-10 yrs in retirement until your health goes and then leave your family a bunch of money when you croak, consumed before your time.

I don't subscribe to this philosophy. My goal has always been to have the option to retire early via working hard AND smart, and then do whatever strikes me. But you do have to invest the hours at some point to fully develop your skills and demonstrate you can operate at the next level and lead others. I don't think many people will do this if they become locked into the idea of working only 4 x 8, which is exactly what 4 x 10 would morph into. I rarely work more than 5 x 10 these days, but they are very effective hours compared to young me as I am more efficient now and can delegate some tasks to others so I can tackle the more complex ones. I could make 4 x 10 work well now, but I wouldn't be who I am today if I had done that from the beginning.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#38]
4x10 - fine.

4x8 AND complete the same amount of work...LOL. Never gonna work out that way.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

*For their Lord.

The rest of the year was spent subsistence farming and making nearly everything needed for the home by hand resulting in much less free time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

Medieval peasants worked only about 150 days out of the year.* The Church believed it was important to keep them happy with frequent, mandatory holidays. You have less free time than a Medieval peasant.

*For their Lord.

I wish I had half the year to work on my garden and home repairs. I have to try to squeeze that stuff into the 2 days I get off.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#40]
My mother used to work for a German company and did 4 10's.  I'd do hat in a heartbeat since i'm currently doing 5 10's.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I would love 4/10's.
We had brought it up to management, but they said we need M-F coverage for customers.
So, we suggested having half work M-Th and the other half work T-F.
That way we were covered. Crickets.
Then they said what about the guys on roadwork?
I said if they are on the road, they can work what ever the customer wants them to do.
Most time those guys are working 10+ days anyway.
They do the roadwork for the money, don't care how many hrs they work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RTOinIraq:
How will people still brag about working 60-70 hours a week for a company that doesn't give a shit about them?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

i started gearing down a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago, big shoots.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RTOinIraq:
View Quote

Simple. They'll still brag about doing it as if not getting paid for it is some sort of Eagle Scout badge of honor.

When the economy tanks, that same "Can't go on without me" company will lay them off first without a moments hesitation.

Not that I have any first hand experience with that or anything. Just guessing.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top