Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By junker46:
I don't see how anyone, like Buffalo Airways, don't switch to feeder airline turboprops that have been/or can be converted to freight use. And not that shit show old Electra, more modern aircraft like ATRs and Dash 8s. Fucking old ass tail dragging DC-3 and Commandos: hard to load, limited parts, AVGAS sucking, difficult to start in cold, etc.
View Quote

A used ATR or Dash 8 with enough usable airframe hours is still going to be a couple million a pop plus cargo conversion cost . Buffalo I think paid less than a mil ea for the Electra's plus a shit load of spare parts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#2]
These airframes do have greatly reduced max takeoff weights and other limitations by the FAA these days. They take into account the age and they are still profitable. Turbo prop planes just aren’t feasible for the prices of used ones. The air tractors however are a great stop-gap for the fuel runs, as a C-46 is limited to 2,000 gallons anymore but an Air Tractor can haul 1000 gallons with just one pilot and one engine burning. Everts has a few now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tangeant:

A used ATR or Dash 8 with enough usable airframe hours is still going to be a couple million a pop plus cargo conversion cost . Buffalo I think paid less than a mil ea for the Electra's plus a shit load of spare parts.
View Quote

Having worked on DASH 8's back in the 2000 time period those planes had 30-40k airframe hours and the airline flew them for several more years.
They up graded to RJ's and those planes got scattered to the winds.

I'm sure they won't be flying them for 80 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:21:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#4]

Goddamn. That was big. I would venture that big an explosion damaged the controls an wing to cause and uncommanded bank.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By alaskan_9974:

That was quick. Something was happening prior since they already declared before this happened, engine must’ve taken out control cables when it went.
View Quote

It did seem to have more than typical exhaust flames just prior to explosion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:23:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#6]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
... The air tractors however are a great stop-gap for the fuel runs, as a C-46 is limited to 2,000 gallons anymore but an Air Tractor can haul 1000 gallons with just one pilot and one engine burning. Everts has a few now.
View Quote
I thought the largest AirTractor was 800 gallons.  I dealt with AT frequently from the financing side, but that was a few years ago.

And they should have gone with the military version of the AirTractor for foreign military sales for drug interdiction. Greater load carrying capacity, more rugged. But they didn't want a tail dragger.

Cropdust this!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, that is horrible.  RIP to the crew.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
I thought the largest AirTractor was 800 gallons.  I dealt with AT frequently from the financing side, but that was a few years ago.

And they should have gone with the military version of the AirTractor for foreign military sales for drug interdiction. Greater load carrying capacity, more rugged. But they didn't want a tail dragger.

Cropdust this!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
... The air tractors however are a great stop-gap for the fuel runs, as a C-46 is limited to 2,000 gallons anymore but an Air Tractor can haul 1000 gallons with just one pilot and one engine burning. Everts has a few now.

Cropdust this!
Five hundred to eight hundred gals by the info I can find.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:04:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#9]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
View Quote

Fuel being lighter than water, maybe that gets closer to the thousand mark unless it’s by volume only. Either way, 800 gallons in a single seater turbine is no joke. The Everts dispatcher who was bragging on them at the bar was likely embelishing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
Solid first post
View Quote

Fuck it, I got a cool new background out of it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Fuel being lighter than water, maybe that gets closer to the thousand mark unless it's by volume only. Either way, 800 gallons in a single seater turbine is no joke. The Everts dispatcher who was bragging on them at the bar was likely embelishing.
View Quote
It's measured by volume. The tank sits in front of the cockpit close to the center of gravity. The capacity measurement is the volume of the tank, not the payload weight.

Maybe the guy at the bar was including the operating fuel tanks in that number.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#12]
That sucks for the loss of the historic aircraft. It sucks even more for the loss of the pilots. RIP airmen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Fuel being lighter than water, maybe that gets closer to the thousand mark unless it's by volume only. Either way, 800 gallons in a single seater turbine is no joke. The Everts dispatcher who was bragging on them at the bar was likely embelishing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

Most of the time they are hauling diesel/heating oil.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Okay, so there are no commercially viable rough/short field tubroprop freighters in the world, and the WW2 reciprocals will forever fly those routes.  Let me make a note of that.
View Quote

Correct.  Same reason we still have a10, b52, blackhawks, and all manner of antique GA airplanes.  
Replacements with vastly superior flight capabilities could easily be designed, but it is economically infeasible given the red tape, bureaucracy, cost, and risk aversion of modern engineering.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]
N3054V DC-4 Alaska Crash 23 April, 2024
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:19:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#16]
N3054V ATC and ARFF Audio

Douglas DC-4 Down In Fairbanks Alaska | N3054V ATC and ARFF Audio

Piston Pounders Alaska! Flying the Brooks Fuel Douglas DC-4

Fairbanks Alaska based Brooks Fuel operated fabulous DC-4 piston pounders on Alaska cargo re supply flights. Videographer Chris Mak filmed a typical re supply flight between Fairbanks and Tanana Ralph M Calhoun Memorial Airport with fuel and empty back to Fairbanks in 2007.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Oh that is awful to watch! RIP crew
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#19]
That was a huge explosion. For scale the flame was as tall as the rear vertical stabilizer and extended out the entire wing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#20]
This shows a google earth overlay for a better visual of the flight path.

Douglas DC-4 Plane CRASHES into river near Fairbanks, AK (2 DEAD)

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/386882
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:52:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#21]
Sure it's a DC-4? According to Wikipedia there are only a few still flying, none of which are in Alaska.

Whatever the bird, I hope the crew is ok.

ETA: I stand corrected.
View Quote

Looks like a -4 to me. The -4 and -6 are virtually indistinguishable except for the length of the fuselage behind the wrong root. This looks like a shorter -4 fuselage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

Correct.  Same reason we still have a10, b52, blackhawks, and all manner of antique GA airplanes.  
Replacements with vastly superior flight capabilities could easily be designed, but it is economically infeasible given the red tape, bureaucracy, cost, and risk aversion of modern engineering.  

View Quote

That's almost laughable. Aircraft operated on a shoe string - "hey, Jim-Bob, go over yonder and see if'n you can find some old o-rings on the wingless plane yonder"- is quite remotely different than sourcing new or FAA approved used/overhauled parts when the insurance premiums are higher. I'm willing to bet that material/maintenance failure far exceeds pilot/operator error when accidents happen.

Also willing to bet that if the certs for these junkheaps started getting pulled, like when the firebombers were, you'd see an adaption of economics: better facilities being built, market of older turboprops opens up, or maybe that community of 20 people really doesn't warrant $25 a gallon of government-sponsored fuel to continue to live 'the old ways'.  I can see some of these aircraft uniquely suited to fly some of those missions, but they won't last forever, then what?

And for the USAF aircraft you listed: enormous amounts of money is spent to keep them flying. Of course something better could have been developed, but the mil likes the new shiny toys and push to keep crap in service just to bolster that point, until it's unfeasible to build any replacements. The BUFF would have been retired in the 70's or 80's had a suitable replacement come along.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Also willing to bet that if the certs for these junkheaps started getting pulled
View Quote

And why would that occur?

Because of a single incident that has an as-yet undetermined cause?

Big pistons have been flying this stuff for *decades*, and they're not falling out of the sky regularly...or even often.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
From the way it went over immediately my guess is they already had a problem with the other engine on that side, and were pushing the left outboard hard.  It grenaded and they were screwed.
View Quote

That's not how you operate 4-engine big radials with a single engine failure on takeoff or departure.

Takeoff power and climb power are perfectly capable of providing an airspeed sufficient for maintaining directional control, and they can be maintained for quite a long period of time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:40:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MudEagle] [#25]
deleted
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

Big pistons have been flying this stuff for *decades*, and they're not falling out of the sky regularly...or even often.
View All Quotes
Also willing to bet that if the certs for these junkheaps started getting pulled

@mudeagle

Don't forget to mention there are standards, specifications, ADs, signoffs, etc.

Outside of ferry permits, true airborne "junkheaps" are exceptionally rare and usually the result of rampant and intentional rule breaking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#27]
Imagine the horror with an engine catching on fire while carrying a full load of fuel bladders in that old plane.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I have a soft spot for radials too. I'd like to have the bucks to own (and operate) something like a T-28, or with a bigger budget, a C-119 like my father flew, or the worlds only flying Globemaster. But not to acknowledge that modern turboprops make a more reliable and long-term profitable solution is ludicrous. When was the last P&W radial built?  Late 1950s? The mass termination of contracts that flew firefighting WW2 aircraft because of reliability.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#29]

That's almost laughable. Aircraft operated on a shoe string - "hey, Jim-Bob, go over yonder and see if'n you can find some old o-rings on the wingless plane yonder"- is quite remotely different than sourcing new or FAA approved used/overhauled parts when the insurance premiums are higher. I'm willing to bet that material/maintenance failure far exceeds pilot/operator error when accidents happen.

Also willing to bet that if the certs for these junkheaps started getting pulled, like when the firebombers were, you'd see an adaption of economics: better facilities being built, market of older turboprops opens up, or maybe that community of 20 people really doesn't warrant $25 a gallon of government-sponsored fuel to continue to live 'the old ways'.  I can see some of these aircraft uniquely suited to fly some of those missions, but they won't last forever, then what?

And for the USAF aircraft you listed: enormous amounts of money is spent to keep them flying. Of course something better could have been developed, but the mil likes the new shiny toys and push to keep crap in service just to bolster that point, until it's unfeasible to build any replacements. The BUFF would have been retired in the 70's or 80's had a suitable replacement come along.
View Quote
All the turbine engines and newer gas engines flying Bush Alaska have a lot of mechanical problems.

Hell Alaska cancels flights often to the Bush for mechanical problems
Their freighters are always breaking down.

Not all turbine engine planes can land at the Bush airports.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#30]
News said a fire was reported right after take-off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#32]

That's not how you operate 4-engine big radials with a single engine failure on takeoff or departure.

Takeoff power and climb power are perfectly capable of providing an airspeed sufficient for maintaining directional control, and they can be maintained for quite a long period of time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:
From the way it went over immediately my guess is they already had a problem with the other engine on that side, and were pushing the left outboard hard.  It grenaded and they were screwed.

Thanks for that information.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#33]
His last transmission was "Tell them I love them ma'am, tell them I love them."
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By realwar:
View Quote

Yeah, I heard that too. Once you hear it it’s plain as day…

RIP to the crew, we’re all out here just trying to do a job
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

OK, I'm pretty sure that's a DC-4
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Greymuzzle:

Yeah, I heard that too. Once you hear it it’s plain as day…

RIP to the crew, we’re all out here just trying to do a job
View Quote

Ugh...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a soft spot for radials too. I'd like to have the bucks to own (and operate) something like a T-28, or with a bigger budget, a C-119 like my father flew, or the worlds only flying Globemaster. But not to acknowledge that modern turboprops make a more reliable and long-term profitable solution is ludicrous. When was the last P&W radial built?  Late 1950s? The mass termination of contracts that flew firefighting WW2 aircraft because of reliability.
View Quote

It has nothing to do with a "soft spot", and your statements have had nothing to do with the airplanes being a "long-term profitable solution."

They're machines, and they're operating as designed for a business whose purpose is to generate a profit.

When they stop doing that, the businesses will stop using them. Again, we're not planting big radials into the dirt on a basis that is mathematically any different than "modern turboprops".
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Bushleaguepilot:

OK, I'm pretty sure that's a DC-4
View Quote

Yea, that's the plane that went down. Was trying to find a good actual pic of it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

That's fucking crazy. I'm glad he was able to pass on his last message.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:06:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#41]

That's fucking crazy. I'm glad he was able to pass on his last message.
View Quote

You can hear him say it at (1:11)

Alaska DC-4 CRASH | ATC recording (2 FATALITIES)
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By alaskan_9974:

Not many four engine piston airliners left in flying condition. This may have been one of the last of its types still airworthy.
View Quote

Well you do have a point there.  AK always has an eclectic collection of aircraft considering the population.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:13:00 AM EDT
[#43]
RIP

1 engine going bad did not bring that bird down.

I reserve comment until an official report is released.

Again RIP Pilots and I pray for your families.

Alaskan residents that relied on your steadfast service will not forget.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:15:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Fuk

Left turn / left engine/s,.  Lord knows what else came unglued at the explosion.

If I hear a loud bang:throttles to idle....got nothin.  Maybe if they had a flight engineer monitoring ?

Glad there was a lasting message.  (Sent by right seat?)

Very sad.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
goddamn.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By K30MuleLAR15:

RIP

1 engine going bad did not bring that bird down.

I reserve comment until an official report is released.

Again RIP Pilots and I pray for your families.

Alaskan residents that relied on your steadfast service will not forget.
View Quote

They were good guys.

They were heading to my area to deliver fuel.

I stopped in one time while they were there and they decided to sump their fuel tanks, and gave it to me so they wouldn’t pollute
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:53:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#48]
plane had an emergency shortly after take off
View Quote

The plane traveled approximately 10 miles from the Fairbanks airport
View Quote

From news reports. It looks like they had a problem before the crash video begins.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#49]
DC-4 Fairbanks Alaska Crash & eerie similar accidents & incidents

DC-4 Fairbanks Alaska Crash & eerie similar accidents & incidents.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Can't speak for the control failure portion, but the "engine on fire and fell off the airplane" is not at all unusual.

Who knows if that was an actual design feature, but I've spoken to several pilots to whom it has happened (it happened to a friend of mine while flying freight on a DC-3 in the 90s) and they said it saved the airplane when it happened since the fire didn't continue into the fuel tanks behind the engine nacelle.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top