Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smash47:
The prosecutor should have to serve all that time combined and pay all those fines and court costs seized from his personal assets.

That's how you stop law abuse.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:
https://i.imgflip.com/kxs8m.jpg
View Quote

Cant throw one until you know how to read one
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:

A car can smell like alcohol and the person not be drunk. Don’t be so quick to feel for all the poor souls in the article. I know acab and apples or whatever nonsense you’re programmed to say but DUID is a thing. So are people who smell like alcohol and an arrest will take so long they’re under the legal limit by the time they hit booking and finish a test. A DUI can last hours.  Especially if it’s an accident (and many are) and the suspect needs to go to the hospital first. Or it’s too much to write a warrant. A DUI investigation can be manpower intensive for a simple misdemeanor. And an arrest simply solves the problem without prosecution. It’s not ideal but staffing is what it is these days. Lawyers have made DUIs some of the most complicated trials. An aggravated assault or robbery is an easier case.

I’m sure these simple reasonable explanations will now be completely dismissed. Carry on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
They’re called drugs.

Body camera video shows the officer told Fepuleai, “I do detect the odor of alcohol.” Fepuleai told the officer that he does not drink at all, and agreed to do the field sobriety tests, including the breath test. Fepuleai blew 0.00 at the scene.

The officer used the smell of alcohol as probable cause to get Fepuleai out of the car.

They are called liars.

A car can smell like alcohol and the person not be drunk. Don’t be so quick to feel for all the poor souls in the article. I know acab and apples or whatever nonsense you’re programmed to say but DUID is a thing. So are people who smell like alcohol and an arrest will take so long they’re under the legal limit by the time they hit booking and finish a test. A DUI can last hours.  Especially if it’s an accident (and many are) and the suspect needs to go to the hospital first. Or it’s too much to write a warrant. A DUI investigation can be manpower intensive for a simple misdemeanor. And an arrest simply solves the problem without prosecution. It’s not ideal but staffing is what it is these days. Lawyers have made DUIs some of the most complicated trials. An aggravated assault or robbery is an easier case.

I’m sure these simple reasonable explanations will now be completely dismissed. Carry on.

Holy SHIT!!!!

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
Fuck Hawaii
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Boy, Hawaii in the 90’s and 2000’s it was seatbelt use as the excuse to pull you over and see if driving under the influence.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol. I’ll take OWVI for $500.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

This is one of the reasons we articulate the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from the breath of the driver  during trial.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

A car can smell like alcohol and the person not be drunk.

This is one of the reasons we articulate the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from the breath of the driver  during trial.
News flash...alcohol is colorless, tasteless, and ODORLESS. It can't be detected by smell. ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, on the other hand, can be detected by their odor.  Beer, whiskey, gin, rum, all have distinct odors which are easily identifiable. Many arresting officers have been caught in this trap on the witness stand...including a good friend (RIP Randy) who tried his best to educate them on the minute details after the fact.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Haloes?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
They’re called drugs.
View Quote

Found the cop
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
They fail field sobriety?

Opiates, benzodiazepines, thc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

There's TONS of cops that don't do shit like this.  In fact, with something like 700k police officers across the US and only a couple incidents of police abuse reported a day... >99% of cops out there aren't abusing people rights.

The problem is that other 99% either look the other way whenever it happens, sweep it under the rug, or circle the wagons around the offending officer to protect them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Originally Posted By gotigers:
Are there any good cops any more?

There's TONS of cops that don't do shit like this.  In fact, with something like 700k police officers across the US and only a couple incidents of police abuse reported a day... >99% of cops out there aren't abusing people rights.

The problem is that other 99% either look the other way whenever it happens, sweep it under the rug, or circle the wagons around the offending officer to protect them.

A good cop that looks the other way is not a good cop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
That one cop must have been busy as hell, cause it was just one right?

There couldn’t have been that many police officers doing that kind of thing, right?

Isolated incidents and all that.  Cause [deleted]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully they sue the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#14]

That’s because you know fuck all about DUI enforcement and being a cop, have your own preconceived notions based on erroneous information and are too close minded to believe anything that doesn’t conform to the beliefs that have been given to you.
View All Quotes

When I read this story I thought to myself “There’s no way someone can try to defend this.”  Way to simultaneously exceed and completely miss expectations.

That’s because you know fuck all about DUI enforcement and being a cop, have your own preconceived notions based on erroneous information and are too close minded to believe anything that doesn’t conform to the beliefs that have been given to you.

What's funny is that you don't attack the post of another cop in the thread that said "This is one of the reasons we articulate the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from the breath of the driver  during trial." to your post.

An odor of alcohol as the justification then coming up with zero fucking alcohol on the guy seems like a problem for most people.  You can't articulate how that's not, but instead blame drugs as an absurd knee jerk reaction to defend your tribe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MHowski:
Isn’t there enough crime that they don’t need to go making it up?  My fave was the drug whisperer cop in Georgia.  The people he arrested for driving under the influence of drugs kept coming up with clean post arrest drug tests and they actually said it was the lab tests were wrong and their drug recognition expert was right as he was so highly trained.  
View Quote

That was Cobb county Georgia
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Isn’t there enough crime that they don’t need to go making it up?  My fave was the drug whisperer cop in Georgia.  The people he arrested for driving under the influence of drugs kept coming up with clean post arrest drug tests and they actually said it was the lab tests were wrong and their drug recognition expert was right as he was so highly trained.  

That guy went through a 40 hour class to become an expert.  Who are you going to believe?  Him and his subjective observations or some nerds with objective data?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

Ugh, how many times has it happened to you?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Originally Posted By Heuristic:

That is the move of CSP and local sheriff deputys.

You roll down your window - 'I smell marijuana/alchohol/drugs'....out of the car.

Ugh, how many times has it happened to you?

More than a few times.

Back before the state legalized weed that was SOP in mountain towns.
I never burned the jazz cabbage, but it was an excuse for them to expand the search of your truck.
If you refused they'd make you sit 45 minutes until the dog unit got there.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Cops.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#19]

The DA is declining to press charges in 80% of cases that are brought to them. Someone needs to see what the fuck is going on with that dept.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Smash47:
The prosecutor should have to serve all that time combined and pay all those fines and court costs seized from his personal assets.

That's how you stop law abuse.

The DA is declining to press charges in 80% of cases that are brought to them. Someone needs to see what the fuck is going on with that dept.

data from the Honolulu Prosecutor’s Office that showed most cases that HPD refers to them are declined. Last year, HPD sent 1,283 cases for prosecution but 1,038 were rejected — that means 80% were declined.

That's pretty normal. Our county attorneys office will not prosecute a criminal trespass case and will reject every one. A homeless guy comes on your property and does homeless people things. You call us and we issue a written criminal trespass warning and tell him not to come back.

He shows up back on the property later, so you call us and off to jail he goes. The county attorneys office will reject the case and decline prosecution, so homeless guy gets sent back out to do homeless people things all over again.

This is in a red county and a red state, with a republican county and district attorney.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Clicked to see arfcops defending the indefensible.

Wasn’t disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
If you blow snake eyes, they don’t unarrest you. lol.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By FJB247:
I'm not a cop but I've seen plenty of people driving under the influence of intoxicants other than alcohol.

When the pill epidemic was in full swing you'd see guys nodding out while driving,  doing 20 under the limit, swerving within the lane, and driving the wrong direction.  They'd fail the field sobriety test but pass the breath test.  They'd take them to jail and do a blood test where they'd test positive for something intoxicating.
View Quote

Do you really think if an officer can get an arrest they will stop at alcohol?

If the person blows zeros and the officer can articulate that perhaps it was drugs not alcohol, you don't think they would pursue it? Not that they would win that fight either because a drug blood draw would also show negative and the crooked cop knows it. So they drop the whole thing or let it get crushed by the DA office.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Your TBL sticker in the back window of your vehicle is starting to fade. You need a fresh one sir.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Crime ? That'll get their asses shot off . Just go fuck with motorists and make us money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]
They were possibly high on weed. Breathalyzer will not show that, but they could still be under influence.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phungus] [#26]
The only time I've ever served on a jury it was for a DUI.

We had testimony from two cops, one arresting officer the other his backup. We saw video from two different body cameras and a car camera.

The arresting cops testified to several things like the person slurring speech, unsteady while standing, unable to perform the sobriety testing correctly. He even said the guy dropped his license when handing it to him. None of any of that was in the videos, in fact the guy didn't drop the license the cop did, twice. The cop kind of got agitated with the guy who asked a question about one of the tests he took.

The guy remained calm through the whole thing even after they arrested him, and he kept telling them both he didn't drink.

Breath test was negative a zero.

The defense did a good job of pointing out everything the state failed to prove, and it took us about 15 minutes and a single vote to find him not guilty.

Thing that I remember the most was the look on the prosecutor's face when the verdict was ready. He was surprised. After the case was over, I saw a short story in our local fish wrapper about it and I learned the guy who was arrested had obtained a blood test after he got out of jail that showed no drugs or alcohol in his system, but it wasn't allowed into trial.

So, I felt good about my vote, but I do remember us jurors talking, and we were beginning to doubt ourselves because we couldn't line up the cop's testimony with the video we saw. Finally, one of the others just said maybe the cops either didn't know what they were doing or they just made up a narrative to fit their case. We all agreed something wasn't right and voted not guilty.

Anyway...

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
There will likely be some cops here that will try to justify it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#28]

(Snip)….I also generally find people with low opinions of cops are usually on the wrong side of the law more often than not……

(/snip) .
View Quote

Which came first….the chicken or the egg?  It’s not necessarily cause and effect.

I know this is going to blow your mind, but you are subject to a thing called “sampling bias”.

There are lots of people out there on the “right side of the law” ….whatever that is…who have a low opinion of cops.

I guess I’ll need to draw you a Venn diagram.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Heuristic:

More than a few times.

Back before the state legalized weed that was SOP in mountain towns.
I never burned the jazz cabbage, but it was an excuse for them to expand the search of your truck.
If you refused they'd make you sit 45 minutes until the dog unit got there.

View Quote

Rodriguez v. United States now says a 45 minute wait for the ouija dog is too long:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodriguez_v._United_States

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:18:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvilApplesauce] [#30]
I believe it.

I looked /
Eta -

never mind, I was wrong
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
Are there any good cops any more?
View Quote

Not many left in PA. Local or State.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Eh, I got charged with OVI and wasn't even allowed to do a PBT (I offered). Passed the field sobriety, but the guy was so conviced I was "on something" he eventually had me piss and charged me on the spot. Years (almost two years) and a couple thousand dollars later the results came in flat zeros on EVERYTHING, and I was "let off" with a lane change violation. It's still my opinion you should be offered a chemical test straight away and go from there, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

I found working with them, that many cops have pretty low intelligence. You are a good example of this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Never. There’s enough people doing stupid shit you don’t have to make things up. I also generally find people with low opinions of cops are usually on the wrong side of the law more often than not. You’re a good example of that for instance.

I found working with them, that many cops have pretty low intelligence. You are a good example of this.

Are you on the wrong side of the law or is he just casting aspersions on your character?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#34]
You don't need alcohol to be DUI.

Pain pills

Drugs-Legal and otherwise

Can all contribute to intoxication.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Pain pills

View Quote

Do you need any objective evidence to prove it or just an officer's opinion?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:01:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#36]
-----------------------------------------TBL
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
The hits just keep rolling in.  

Oh sure, it's only a few bad apples here and there, certainly it couldn't just be the WHOLE FUCKING INDUSTRY is corrupt!
View Quote

They love that $$$$$$$ rolling in.  What a few lawsuits from the ones that can afford it when they can hem up 100’s of other.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Never. There’s enough people doing stupid shit you don’t have to make things up. I also generally find people with low opinions of cops are usually on the wrong side of the law more often than not. You’re a good example of that for instance.
View Quote

I generally find people with high opinions of cops being cops themselves.  Or others that don’t want to be on “the list”.YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:08:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#39]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy91K:

That's pretty normal. Our county attorneys office will not prosecute a criminal trespass case and will reject every one. A homeless guy comes on your property and does homeless people things. You call us and we issue a written criminal trespass warning and tell him not to come back.

He shows up back on the property later, so you call us and off to jail he goes. The county attorneys office will reject the case and decline prosecution, so homeless guy gets sent back out to do homeless people things all over again.

This is in a red county and a red state, with a republican county and district attorney.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThatGuy91K:

That's the trend.

Originally Posted By batjka104:
They were possibly high on weed. Breathalyzer will not show that, but they could still be under influence.

Sounds like solid evidence to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:11:17 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Pain pills

You know the drill.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:14:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Minority report and pre crime was supposed to be just a movie.

Not this low rent shit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:35:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#42]

View Quote

Intoxication can be proven through the presence of marijuana or other intoxicants in an individual's system at the time of arrest along with observations and SFSTs.

Blood test is needed unless some fancy method of proving has come out I'm not aware of.

Blood doesn't lie.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:09:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Of all the places I've lived in the last 20 years, Hawaii is the worst. Biggest nanny police state whose priorities are non existent. So you can get arrested for DUI even though you're not drunk meanwhile the hobo bum screaming like a lunatic and high out of his mind across the street from your arrest.. not a problem.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#44]
So if a person is driving like shit, showing other indicators and refuses tests what are the cops supposed to do?

Also- zeros doesn’t mean sober.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Just another isolated incident.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#46]
back da blue!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I see the thin blue line apologists have arrived. I swear, some of yall just come up with everything you can to justify and outright defend corruption.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Pro-bowl left Hawaii because of HPD.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I've made plenty of .000 g/210l arrests.   I plan on making a hell of alot more if cannabis is legalized for recreation this year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:47:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Heuristic] [#50]
Originally Posted By H8train375:
I've made plenty of .000 g/210l arrests.   I plan on making a hell of alot more if cannabis is legalized for recreation this year.
View Quote

*well there it is* gif
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top