Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 65
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

Yeah well it helps when your quad copter has a RPG7 or 60mm mortar round on it. Lol

I read the Switchblade's warhead is basically a 40mm HEDP round. And while I never seen one used in combat. I know others who have and they say it kinda sucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

There is a big lid on letting out videos from those for some reason.  Sometimes it is because the area could be geolocated and the Russians would know where these were launched and what units are getting hit.  Honestly compared to the Ukrainian fpv drones I think they are mild.

Yeah well it helps when your quad copter has a RPG7 or 60mm mortar round on it. Lol

I read the Switchblade's warhead is basically a 40mm HEDP round. And while I never seen one used in combat. I know others who have and they say it kinda sucks.

Yeah, the warhead focuses all the blast in a forward arc, but you are still limited by the 40mm warhead.  The Switchblade 600 has a Javelin warhead and can go 40km, so much more useful for picking off various armored vehicles and apparently state of the art Russian SAM sites.

This was in February of this year, so it is making it in the US selection process so far.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#2]
1 hr ago.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]

it's a great addition in a maneuver warfare, but it quite effective in a positional war.

And in the end it comes to our infantry to stop them. Infantry is still the last line of defense.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#7]

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

That tank seemed unstoppable, taking several hits and what looked like a mine or two (rollers). Looks like those Mad Max Kamaz truck things took a beating though. Cool vid, wish there were more/better angles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:17:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#9]
Ukrainian website today -

Attachment Attached File

2 years I’ve started harping on this issue and I’ll repeat myself again - this situation is NOT limited to Ukraine. It’s a worldwide issue for every military including our own.

Aid is inbound but there’s always a time lag from approval until receipt plus the amount contributed will mitigate the situation for Ukraine in the near term but everyone who doesn’t want missile or air strikes whether Taiwan, Japan, India, etc better bust ass on acquisition and training asap.

Some aspects of the war in Ukraine are unique to its terrain but a lot of lessons learned can be applied elsewhere and woe to anyone who isn’t paying attention.

https://kyivindependent.com/russian-strikes-overwhelm-ukraines-overstretched-air-defense/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Unsophisticated, cheap, and it works. Very russian. They are improving.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View Quote

Same haspened in A Stan with IEDs - improvement over time

Never underestimate opponents/ enemies
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Originally Posted By stone-age:

For quite a while now Peter Zaihan has been saying that it is routine for Russia to get their asses handed to them in the beginning of war and then they gear up their  war economy and they turn things around. It's made me very cautious with my optimism.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:44:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#15]
4 minutes ago.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#18]

Statement by the Yemeni Armed Forces regarding the operation to target two American destroyers and the operation to target the ship (CYCLADES) in the Red Sea and the ship (MSC ORION) in the Indian Ocean, belonging to the Zionist entity, on 4/29/2024

Pay Attention to Ship Seizures, Not Threats to Close Strait of Hormuz
1/4 In this new INSIGHT, we assess Iran's threats to shipping in the Persian Gulf and the world's most vital chokepoint. The work is in collaboration with the super
@TankerTrackers. Here's the link that takes you directly to the INSIGHT post, and below is a summary:
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/756ca769315d4b879ca7fdd6bd4a82be#ref-n-NNEWth

2/4 Using data on maritime attacks since 2019, as well as data on energy flows from the Persian Gulf, we argue that Tehran has another way to disrupt maritime traffic and global trade that does not harm its own interests and without having to close the strait of Hormuz. The latest seizure of container ship MSC Aries in the Persian Gulf is another example to show how Iran has been  seizing commercial ships related to rival countries in response to acts it considers provocative. Such low-key actions can increase regional and global concerns and give Iran greater leverage.

3/4 In light of the MSC Aries seizure ( April 13), vessels with links to Israel-born shipowners will now face greater risks, and particularly if Iran-Israel hostilities remain high. Attacks on such vessels around the Persian Gulf could be part of an evolving Iranian strategy to act against Israel beyond the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandab Strait, while also testing the Israeli and Western reaction. Read our full analysis here: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/756ca769315d4b879ca7fdd6bd4a82be#ref-n-NNEWth

4/4 INSIGHT went online last week. The first post was on a Saudi company that launched a North Red Sea shipping service amid the Red Sea crisis:
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/756ca769315d4b879ca7fdd6bd4a82be#ref-n-S0x5Te

INSIGHT is part of a growing ArcGIS StoryMap I co-founded with my colleague
@FarzinNadimi
 that tracks maritime attacks since 2019. It focuses on major incidents linked to the Yemen conflict, Iran sanctions, legal disputes, Iran-Israel tensions, and the Gaza war. Maritime, energy, and geopolitical data all in one place.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#19]
For Russia, US Aid to Taiwan Is More Concerning Than $61 Billion to Ukraine
Moscow sees the latest round of military aid to Ukraine as a tactical inconvenience but not a strategic danger. The $8 billion for the Indo-Pacific is the real gamechanger.

The United States made a major move on April 24. When U.S. President Joe Biden signed a military aid bill into law, it provided $95 billion in war aid to U.S. partners – $61 billion to Ukraine, $26 billion to Israel, and $8 billion to Taiwan and other Indo-Pacific countries. Amid clamoring for air defense and a steady Russian advance, Ukraine naturally received the largest allocation. Israel’s share is understandable too, given the ongoing conflict, but the Taiwan money is the real escalation – at least from a Russian perspective.

Western media raced to highlight Russian frustration with the Ukraine aid. The BBC covered Russian mainstream media, while Bloomberg discussed disgruntled official responses. However, for Moscow and its partners in Asia, the United States’ commitment to Taiwan meant much more. The additional weapons to Ukraine pale in comparison to the $278-billion treasure chest already handed over by the West.

The Kremlin thinks the latest round of U.S. aid will give Ukraine limited respite but will not change the larger trend. As Ukraine enacts the most draconian mobilization law in its history, the Russian army is 15 percent larger than it was before the conflict. So, Moscow sees the latest round of supplies as a sign of desperation that will be a tactical inconvenience – but not a strategic danger.

The Israel aid, too, will buttress the country but given the pressure it is under, may not be sufficient for a strategic turnaround. Rather, the extra $26 billion in the current circumstances is a maintenance cost not out of pattern with the cadence of peacetime support at $3.3 billion per year.

Taiwan is the real gamechanger. The $8 billion package – directed at Taiwan as well as other U.S. partners in the Indo-Pacific – will have major effects that will require a concerted effort from Moscow to shore up its interests. The Indo-Pacific region is Russia’s rear and a priority destination for commerce as well as diplomacy. So, it cannot be underestimated.

First, the military aid shows that the West’s full-scale shuttle diplomacy to Beijing is not changing the bottom line of fraying ties. No red carpet was rolled out for U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on his recent visit. Beijing does not have a track record of responding to threats, and despite “stern warnings” China rebuffed Blinken’s warnings not to trade with Russia.

Off-ramps with Beijing are being cut. Before the presidential election in Taiwan, China (and Russia) could hope that the Kuomintang (KMT) would emerge victorious and embark on a rapprochement with Beijing. Instead, the victory of Vice President Lai Ching-te ensured Taiwan will stay the course. Now, emboldened by direct aid, the tightening Japan-U.S. alliance and its focus on the Taiwan Strait, and encouraging statements from the U.K., Taiwan is continuing to de-Sinicze by cutting down statues of former President Chiang Kai-shek as it drifts West.

For Russia, this means Beijing is less likely to bend to Western pressure, given that its critical interests are now threatened with no short-term solution – a consequential effect indeed.

Second, the latest installment of HIMARS and F16s will be oil to the fire of the trend toward regional blocs. The provision of powerful U.S. weapons reasserts strategic commitments, invigorating local allies.  In this way, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos, for instance, feels safe to push China on the South China Sea, tearing up a Duterte era “gentlemen’s agreement.” That marks a significant shift from Marcos’ 2023 words of not wanting to be in a new Cold War.

Third, the importance of the $8 billion really crystallizes when it is considered in context. Amid the tightening of the Five Eyes, a Korea-U.S. shipbuilding entente, speculations about NATO involvement in the region, and the all-important AUKUS Pillar 2 (focusing on hypersonic technology), the latest aid really is an accelerant as it projects force onto China now – and in the hypothetical future.

Regional non-alignment is crucial for Russia. Southeast Asia is a foreign policy priority for tech supply chains and critical as an interlocutor with the West on commodities including oil. Yet, countries will find it tough to stay neutral as militarization takes hold.

The crux of the matter is that pre-April Southeast Asia was a region of competition, loose groupings, and trade. Now, Moscow sees a threat of an unpredictable escalatory spiral with alarming lucidity. An arms and tech race as well as intensifying blocification are unwanted processes for Moscow.

Unsurprisingly, Moscow will see the need to deepen the partnership with China, which is likely to be announced during President Vladimir Putin’s upcoming meeting with Xi. Preliminary statements are already being made by defense officials.

Thus, Russia will have another military theater to think about in its rear, which takes precedence over what Moscow believes to be a manageable situation in Ukraine. Contrary to popular belief, the new U.S. aid package to Ukraine is of less concern than the emerging bloc confrontation to Russia’s east.

Oleg Yanovsky
Oleg Yanovsky is a lecturer at MGIMO, Russia’s leading foreign affairs and diplomacy university, at the faculty of political theory.

https://thediplomat.com/2024/04/for-russia-us-aid-to-taiwan-is-more-concerning-than-61-billion-to-ukraine/

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I'm waiting for some moderator to pop in and demand that we ONLY talk about the larger global and political picture WITHOUT mentioning Ukraine or the war...

I guess I can see the site-staff wanting to keep that mega thread going clean and polite without the ugly domestic politics but preventing comments on the obviously connected and related politics of the world seems counterproductive. Like a thread about football where any mention of the ref's is off limits.
View Quote

I was starting to worry - the original thread is crawling along and I was putting in the user names of frequent posters to see if a MOD had banned all the content posters.  Hadn't bothered to check on this one.  Whew.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Do your updates

Hackers used an MS Office bug in a targeted operation against Ukraine
Researchers discovered the MS Office flaw seven years ago

Threat actors used a seven-year-old Microsoft Office bug to conduct a targeted operation against Ukraine. Through it, they could infect vulnerable computers with a cracked version of Cobalt Strike. The tool allows them to gain remote access to a device. Afterward, it lets hackers download ransomware and other types of malware.

According to The Hacker News, Deep Instinct Threat Lab researchers discovered the targeted operation against Ukraine at the end of 2023. Also, it started with the signal-2023-12-20-160512.ppsx, a PowerPoint slideshow (PPSX) file. In addition, because of the filename, researchers believe that people shared the malicious document through Signal, a messaging app.

However, that’s just a speculation. Yet, according to the Computer Emergency Response Team of Ukraine (CERT-UA), attackers used the messaging app as a delivery tool for two other campaigns.

How did the targeted operation against Ukraine work?

CERT-UA revealed that the UAC-0184 group targets the members of the armed forces via messaging and other platforms. One of the methods used in the targeted operation against Ukraine was to spread malware and send files containing a HijackLoader, the Remcos RAT, or XWorm. Additionally, they share open-source programs like tusc and sigtop to extract information and files from vulnerable devices.

Threat actors sent a PPSX file as an outdated US Army manual for tank mine clearing blades. The document contained a link to an OLE object (Object Linking and Embedding). This technology lets hackers link and embed files. The link to the OLE object allowed them to exploit the Microsoft Office Vulnerability CVE-2017-8570.

When cybercriminals managed to exploit a vulnerable device, the PPSX file would download a remote heavily obfuscated script from the weavesilk[.]space which belongs to a Russian VPS provider.

Afterward, it would install an HTML file containing a Javascript code that modifies the Windows Registry to ensure the malware runs after a reboot. Once the operation ends, the script downloads a next-stage payload disguised as a Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.

The payload used in the targeted operation against Ukraine contained a Cobalt Strike Beacon, a cracked and modified file. With it, attackers can execute commands, log keystrokes, drop files, and communicate with targeted systems.

Ultimately, even if the Deep Instinct Threat Lab researchers discovered the targeted operation against Ukraine, they couldn’t attribute it to any known group or organization. Fortunately, by updating the MS Office, future attacks shouldn’t work. Yet, to ensure your safety, download files only from officials and trusted sources. In addition, update your applications regularly.

What are your thoughts? Are you using the latest version of Microsoft Office apps? Let us know in the comments.

https://windowsreport.com/hackers-used-an-ms-office-bug-in-a-targeted-operation-against-ukraine/

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:16:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#22]
Looks like glide bombs and Shaheds tonight.

⚠Attention!
🛬 The activity of enemy tactical aviation is observed in the waters of the Sea of ​​Azov!
🚀 The threat of using aviation means of destruction for front-line regions!

https://t.me/kpszsu/13739

🚀Start of KA/KAB →Kherson/district
https://t.me/povitryanatrivogaaa/87597

Three more enemy Su-34s in the Sea of Azov are heading for the launch zone
https://t.me/hueviyherson/56279

⚠️Kharkiv. The army of the Russian Federation struck KABs in the Kyiv district. A high-rise building was damaged, there are injured, - the mayor of the city.
https://t.me/povitryanatrivogaaa/87571

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#23]
UAE, Ukraine complete negotiations on comprehensive economic partnership agreement

Abu Dhabi, April 29 (WAM) -- The UAE and Ukraine have completed negotiations on the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA), the latest agreement on the UAE's economic agenda aimed at increasing the volume of non-oil foreign trade to AED 4 trillion by 2031.

His Excellency Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, Minister of State for Foreign Trade, and His Excellency Yulia Sveredenko, First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine, signed at the headquarters of the Ministry of Economy in Abu Dhabi. A joint statement announcing the completion of the negotiations on the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement and reaching its final clauses in preparation for its formal signature at a later date, and then completing the procedures for its entry into force.

Following the implementation of the UAE-Ukraine Comprehensive Economic Partnership agreement, tariffs on key products will be eliminated or reduced, unnecessary barriers to trade will be removed and exporters from both sides will be enhanced market access.

The agreement will also support Ukraine's recovery and rebuild key industries as it seeks to revive its economy, and help strengthen supply chains to the MENA region for Ukraine's key exports, such as grains, machinery and metals.

"Ukraine is a bridge for our exports to Europe, and an important source of our imports related to food security, and after the entry into force of the Comprehensive Economic Partnership agreement, it will provide Ukrainian companies and entrepreneurs with a new platform that allows them to expand into growth markets in Asia and Africa through the UAE, in parallel with opening new investment paths that can reshape their vital sectors, such as logistics, manufacturing and information technology, as well as rebuild their basic infrastructure," said H.E. Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi. His Excellency stressed that the agreement will play an active role in revitalizing the Ukrainian economy, and will provide new opportunities for the business communities of the two friendly countries.

For her part, Her Excellency Yulia Sviridenko stressed that the successful conclusion of the comprehensive economic partnership talks between Ukraine and the UAE marks an important historical milestone in bilateral relations between the two countries.

Her Excellency expressed her confidence that the Ukrainian and UAE business communities will take full advantage of the opportunities offered by this promising economic partnership, which will unleash the huge potential in trade and economic cooperation between the two sides.

In 2023, the value of non-oil trade between the UAE and Ukraine reached $ 385.8 million, and direct mutual investments amounted to $ 360 million by the end of 2022, in sectors such as logistics, infrastructure, travel and tourism, and advanced technology.

The completion of the new agreement with Ukraine is the latest milestone in the UAE's efforts to expand the UAE's network of trading partners across global markets, adding to the 14 comprehensive economic partnerships that have either already entered into force, been formally signed, or successfully completed their negotiations with a variety of strategically important markets globally and regionally on the international trade map, including Africa, South America, Asia and Europe, covering more than a quarter of the world's population.

https://wam.ae/a/b2wfjou

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:46:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#24]
New assistance package announced during ministerial visit to Ukraine
GEOPOLITICS & POLICY
29 APRIL 2024

By: Robert Dougherty

The Australian federal government has announced a new $100 million assistance package for Ukraine as Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles visits the country to witness the destruction caused by the ongoing conflict with Russia.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence Richard Marles visited Ukraine and Poland from 26 to 27 April, meeting with Ukrainian leadership, including Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal and Deputy Minister of Defence of Ukraine Lieutenant General Ivan Havryliuk.

Marles also met with Polish Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz in Poland to discuss the conflict in Ukraine and the global implications of Russia’s breach of the UN Charter.

During the visit, Marles also viewed training conducted by the Armed Forces of Ukraine and toured local defence industry locations integral to Ukraine’s defence against Russia.

The funding announcement made on 27 April by the Australian government includes a $50 million package of military assistance with the support of the Australian defence industry (including $30 million worth of uncrewed aerial systems and $15 million towards other high-priority equipment, such as combat helmets, rigid hull inflatable boats, boots, fire masks and generators) as well as $50 million for short-range air defence systems and delivery of air-to-ground precision munitions.

Marles reiterated Australia’s commitment to the multinational program to train Ukrainian Armed Forces personnel in the United Kingdom, through Operation Kudu.

“Australia remains committed to supporting Ukraine to resolve the conflict on its terms,” he said.

“I am pleased to announce an additional $100 million of military assistance, including world-leading drone technology, with the support of local Australian defence industry.

“Australia is also providing critical air-to-ground precision munitions and short-range air defence systems.

“Ukraine and its people have endured more than two years of Russia’s full-scale invasion, but their spirit remains strong. This was reaffirmed during my meeting with Prime Minister Shmyhal.”

He also thanked the Polish government for its support of the recent six-month deployment of Royal Australian Air Force E-7A Wedgetail, which helped protect a vital gateway of international humanitarian and military assistance to Ukraine. “Australia is proud to be working with our partners, including Poland, to support Ukraine’s self-defence,” Marles said.

The recent announcement brings Australia’s military assistance to $880 million since the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine and brings Australia’s overall support for Ukraine to over $1 billion.

Ambassador of Ukraine to Australia, Vasyl Myroshnychenko, speaking at the National Press Club of Australia earlier this year, had previously encouraged Deputy PM Marles to visit Ukraine to see the country in person.

“We would definitely welcome a visit from the Deputy Prime Minister (Richard Marles) should he decide he wants to visit Ukraine,” he said on 28 February.

“I know that he’s interested in doing that, he’s told me that a long time ago, and we hope that there will be an opportunity to visit the country.”

Diplomatically, Australia has not retained its embassy in Ukraine after the federal government previously ordered the departure of Australian embassy staff from Ukraine in February 2022.

https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/geopolitics-and-policy/13988-new-assistance-package-announced-during-ministerial-visit-to-ukraine

Wow.

Germany supplies these weapons and military equipment to Ukraine
Germany supports Ukraine with supplies of equipment and weapons - from Bundeswehr stocks and through industrial supplies, which are financed from the Federal Government's training aid funds. An overview.

A focus of German deliveries is air defense, here the Patriot anti-aircraft missile system.

This list provides an overview of military support provided by the Federal Republic of Germany to Ukraine. These are made up of two strands: On the one hand, the funds from the federal government's strengthening initiative, which are used to finance arms deliveries and other industrial materials. And secondly, from the delivery of material from the Bundeswehr's stocks. In total, Germany has now made military aid worth around 28 billion euros available to support Ukraine or has made it available for the coming years.

The federal government's funding initiative will amount to around 7.1 billion euros for 2024 alone. This is also where German contributions to the European Peace Facility (EPF) of the European Union flow. The EPF can be used to reimburse EU member states for military support to Ukraine. Germany has so far been reimbursed around 31 million euros from the EPF. In addition, there are commitment authorizations 1  for the following years currently amounting to around 6 billion euros.

So far, around 5 billion euros (2023) and around 1.6 billion euros (2022) have already flowed into military support for Ukraine; A further 2.9 billion euros were issued in the first two years of the war as commitment authorizations for deliveries that will only be made between 2025 and 2028.

Since the Russian war of aggression began on February 24, 2022, Germany has handed over material from Bundeswehr stocks to Ukraine with an estimated replacement value of around 5.2 billion euros. In addition, over 10,000 Ukrainian soldiers have received military training in Germany. The costs for this training so far amount to around 282 million euros. Further expenses, which we do not quantify here, are for the treatment of wounded Ukrainian soldiers.

Armored combat vehicles
100MARDER armored personnel carrierwith ammunition and spare parts (from  Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*) (previously: 90)
Ammunition for LEOPARD 2 (from Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*)
10 All Terrain Tracked Carrier Warthog (lead vehicle)*
5 All Terrain Tracked Carrier Warthog (repair and recovery vehicle)*
66 Armored Personnel Carriers (APC)*
73 multi-purpose vehicles with track Bandvagn 206 (BV206)*
Ammunition for main battle tank LEOPARD 1*
30 LEOPARD 1 A5 * main battle tanks (joint project with Denmark)
138 MG3 for LEOPARD 2, MARDER and DACHS
18 LEOPARD 2 A6 main battle tanks with ammunition and spare parts (German share in the joint project with other LEOPARD 2 user states)
50 DINGO all-protection transport vehicles
54 M113 armored troop transports with 2 machine guns each and spare parts* (systems from Denmark, conversion financed by Germany)

Air defense
2 SKYNEX air defense systems with ammunition* (previously: 1)
146,000 rounds of GEPARD anti-aircraft tank ammunition (from Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*) (previously: 116,362)
Missile IRIS-T SLM*
9 TRML-4D* airspace surveillance radars (previously: 8)
Missile IRIS-T SLS
52 GEPARD anti-aircraft tanks with spare parts*
2 PATRIOT air defense systems with spare parts
PATRIOT missiles
3 air defense systems IRIS-T SLM*
1 air defense system IRIS-T SLS*
2 PATRIOT starting devices
4,000 rounds of anti-aircraft tank practice ammunition
500 STINGER anti-aircraft missiles
2,700 STRELA pilot fists

artillery
81,500 rounds of 155 mm artillery ammunition (from Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*) (previously: 74,000)
Ammunition for multiple rocket launchers MARS II
20,872 rounds of 155mm smoke/illuminating ammunition
2 wheeled howitzers Zuzana 2* (project jointly financed with Denmark and Norway)
155mm precision ammunition* (SMArt, VULCANO)
5 MARS II multiple rocket launchers with ammunition (German share in the joint project with the USA and Great Britain)
14 self-propelled howitzers 2000 with spare parts (German share in the joint project with the Netherlands)
20 rocket launchers 70mm on pick-up trucks with rockets*
Artillery detection radar COBRA *
10 laser target illuminators and portable fire control modules for VULCANO artillery ammunition *

Drones and drone defense
212 VECTOR reconnaissance drones with spare parts*
215 reconnaissance drones RQ-35 HEIDRUN*
70 bandwidth expansions for electronic drone defense devices*
84 anti-drone sensors and jammers*
180 RF 360 Fieldkits - drone detection systems*
19 drone detection systems*
93 drone sensors*
18 Primoco ONE* reconnaissance drones
7 reconnaissance drones SONGBIRD*
1 LUNA NG reconnaissance system *
20 surface drones*
10 anti-drone cannons*
12 electronic drone defense devices*

Pioneer skills
18BIBER bridge-laying tankwith spare parts* (previously: 17)
8 DACHS engineer tanks* (previously: 7)
55 mine clearing plows* (previously: 46)
34 WISENT 1 mine clearing tanks with spare parts*
20 mobile, remote-controlled and protected demining devices*
16 armored recovery vehicles 2 with spare parts*
Material for explosive ordnance disposal (from Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*)
500 tool bags with explosive material*
19 heavy and medium bridge systems and 12 special trailers
5 bridges for the BIBER bridge-laying tank
2 recovery tanks 3
12 mobile and protected mine clearing devices Ahlmann*

Protective and special equipment
5 AMPS self-protection systems for helicopters* (previously: 4)
84 outboard motors (previously: 24)
1,600 LED lights* (previously: 1,000)
400 thermal imaging devices*
3 Satcom surveillance systems*
263 border guard vehicles*
292 SatCom terminals*
IT equipment*
1 anti-sea mine system*
33,190 combat helmets
56 ground surveillance radars GO12*
50 mobile antenna carrier systems*
63 laser range finders*
2,667 crypto phones*
90,600 shooting glasses (from Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*)
1 board printer*
1 antenna lifting station*
1,288 double telescopes
5 mobile reconnaissance systems SurveilSPIRE*
10 jammers*
40 laser target illuminators*
1 radio frequency system
3,000 field telephones with 5,000 rolls of field cable and carrying equipment
500 night vision goggles*
165 binoculars*
1 frequency scanner/frequency jammer*
6 truck vehicle decontamination point HEP 70 including material for
Decontamination
10 vehicles HMMWV (8x ground radar carriers, 2x jammer/drone carriers)*
1 high-frequency device including equipment*

logistics
18 heavy-duty semi-trailers M1070 Oshkosh* (previously: 12)
30 Zetros tankers*
361 motor vehicles (trucks, minibuses, off-road vehicles) (from Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*)
250 Zetros trucks*
90 heavy-duty semi-trailers 8x8 HX81 and 90 semi-trailers*
25 MAN TGS trucks*
40 trucks 8x8 with swap loading system
34 swap loading systems 15t*
6 8x6 trucks with swap loading system with 21 roll-off platforms*
14 remote-controlled tracked vehicles THeMIS*
179 pick-up*
30 specially protected vehicles*

Perseverance
282,000 rounds of 40mm ammunition* (previously: 264,000)
13,000 anti-tank weapons RGW 90* (previously: 10,000)
120mm mortar ammunition *
6,132 camouflage nets (from Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*) (previously: 4,152)
6,000 ponchos* (previously: 4,000)
600,000 first aid kits* (previously: 500,000)
48.85 million rounds of small arms ammunition (from Bundeswehr and industrial stocks*)
985 MK 556 assault rifles*
65 HLR 338 precision rifles with 60,000 rounds of ammunition*
120 CR 308 rifles*
5,000 detonators/detonators*
100 grenade machine gun GMW *
2 emergency generators
450 snow chains
205,000 individual modules of group catering
Medical supplies
10 All Terrain Tracked Carrier Warthog (medical vehicle)
49 ambulances*
30,000 sets of winter clothing
27,477 backpacks
1,202 infusion pumps
WISENT spare parts package*
Field hospital*
100 machine guns MG5 *
8 sterilizers dentistry
103,000 tourniquet
500 pistols SFP9*
2 hangar tents*
8 forklifts*
295 power generators
168 field heaters*
36,400 wool blankets
14,000 sleeping bags
Mi-24 spare parts*
Spare parts heavy machine gun M2
200 tents
116,000 cold protection jackets
80,000 cold protection trousers
240,000 winter hats
320,000 rations in single-person packs (EPa)
67 refrigerators for medical supplies*
3,000 cartridges “ Panzerfaust 3 ” plus 900 grips
14,900 anti-tank mines (including 9,300* from the upgrade initiative)
50 bunker fists plus 15 grips
100 MG3 machine guns with 500 spare barrels and breechblocks
100,000 hand grenades
5,300 explosive charges
100,000 meters of detonating cord and 100,000 detonating caps    
350,000 detonators
100 auto injectors
15 pallets of clothing
1,200 hospital beds
18 pallets of medical supplies, 60 surgical lights
Protective clothing, surgical masks
1 field hospital (project jointly financed with Estonia)*
Fuel diesel and petrol*
10 tons of AdBlue*
500 pieces of wound dressings to stop bleeding*
MiG-29 spare parts*

Military support services in preparation/implementation:
(For security reasons, the Federal Government is refraining from providing further details, in particular regarding the modalities and times of deliveries, until the handover has taken place.)

Armored combat vehicles
40 MARDER armored personnel carriers*
105 LEOPARD 1 A5* main battle tanks (joint project with Denmark and the Netherlands)
Ammunition for main battle tanks LEOPARD 2 and LEOPARD 1*
Ammunition for armored personnel carrier MARDER*

Air defense
1 air defense systems PATRIOT
PATRIOT missiles
2 SKYNEX air defense systems with ammunition*
IRIS-T SLM/SLS missile *
15 anti-aircraft tanks CHEEPARD*
9 air defense systems IRIS-T SLM*
11 air defense systems IRIS-T SLS*
249,680 rounds of Cheetah ammunition*

artillery
36 wheeled howitzers RCH 155*
18 self-propelled howitzers 2000*
over 120,000 rounds of 122mm artillery ammunition*
over 250,000 rounds of 155 mm artillery ammunition*
14 wheeled howitzers Zuzana 2* (project jointly financed with Denmark and Norway)

Drones and drone defense
263 reconnaissance drones VECTOR*
34 reconnaissance drones RQ-35 HEIDRUN*
15 anti-drone sensors and jammers*
50 surface drones*

helicopter
6 Sea King Mk41 multi-purpose helicopters with spare parts

Pioneer skills
15 recovery tanks 2*
7 DACHS engineer tanks*
Material for explosive ordnance disposal*
1 mobile, remote-controlled and protected demining device*
8 BIBER bridge-laying tanks*
2 mobile and protected mine clearing devices Ahlmann*
8 mine clearing tanks WISENT 1*
2 heavy and medium bridge systems*

Protective and special equipment
27,510 combat helmets
400 LED lights*
725 laser range finder*
11 AMPS self-protection systems for helicopters*
10,000 shooting glasses*
10 mobile reconnaissance systems SurveilSPIRE*
237 border guard vehicles*
11 frequency scanner/frequency jammer*

logistics
40 Zetros tankers*
20 Zetros refrigerated vehicles*
41 Mercedes trucks*
2 Toyota Land Cruisers*
5 heavy-duty semi-trailers M1070 Oshkosh*
1 truck 8x6 with swap loading system with 7 roll-off platforms*
2 tractors and 4 semi-trailers*
10 protected vehicles*

Perseverance
4,015 MK 556 assault rifles*
7.75 million rounds of handgun ammunition*
8,000 PARM anti-tank mines*
385 HLR 338 precision rifles with 9.9 million rounds of ammunition*
15,000 anti-tank hand weapons*
2 sterilizers dentistry
146,000 rounds of ammunition 40mm grenade launcher*
continuous delivery of medical supplies*

* This is an industrial supply financed from funds from the training initiative.  Some of the deliveries are associated with repair work or production is still ongoing; In addition, some training services are also provided.

https://ria-m.tv/news/349046/ukraina_poluchila_novyiy_paket_pomoschi_ot_germanii_chto_tuda_voshlo_

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:56:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#25]
4 minutes ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMXdkEfW8AA7ahc?format=jpg&name=900x900

View Quote

1830ET

🔥 so-called Dzhankoy/district, Crimea - explosions
https://t.me/povitryanatrivogaaa/87593

1901ET
❗️Air defense is operating over Dzhankoy and Simferopol, the enemy is firing ATACMS ballistic missiles at the peninsula.

Informant

https://t.me/infomil_live/6153

1904ET
URGENTLY
THE REPUBLIC OF CRIMEA AND THE HERO CITY SEVASTOPOL.
04/30 02:00

⚡⚡ More than 10 downed targets over northern and central Crimea are reported.

🔵The missile attack is currently being repelled.

https://t.me/frontbird/8751

Kerch closed to bridge traffic from 1825ET to 1909ET.
https://t.me/most_official/5892

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

They just rolled in shooting the crap out of everything and hauled ass out.

I'd be puckered up if a half dozen were dusting my field of view.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Nuclear Fuel: EDF Struggles to Diversify ERU Supply Chain

EDF is in the process of trying to diversify its enriched reprocessed uranium (ERU) supply chain in a bid to reduce dependence on Russia, but the technical difficulties inherent to ERU and various logistical headwinds mean that full supply chain diversification may take more than a decade. For the moment, the French nuclear giant remains entirely reliant on Russia for the conversion and enrichment of its stockpiles of reprocessed uranium (RepU) to reach its ambitious goal of relying on ERU for 30% of its reactors’ uranium needs in the 2030s. Although the French nuclear industry continues its relationship with Rosatom unabated, and no French or EU anti-Rosatom sanctions look likely, EDF appears determined to build out a European ERU supply chain, and this represents a major opportunity for Orano and Westinghouse. But any buildout of such a fuel supply chain will likely depend on EDF’s willingness to sign new contracts at a significantly higher price point than its existing long-term contracts with Rosatom, as the Russian state-owned nuclear giant does not have to build an entirely new plant.

In part because of the size of its growing stockpiles of RepU — approximately 34,000 tons of RepU are stored at Orano's Tricastin facility, 27,130 tons of which belong to EDF — in 2018 EDF decided to restart its program to enrich that material, fabricate it and put it into its reactors. Over the following years, certain amounts of RepU were sent for conversion and enrichment in Russia, and at the end of last year, EDF loaded ERU fuel assemblies — with fuel that had been enriched and converted in Russia — into its Cruas-2 reactor for the first time in more than a decade. The four 900 megawatt reactors at Cruas, a plant in southeastern France, had variously been fueled with ERU assemblies from 1994 through 2013. Now, EDF hopes to expand the use of ERU, and by 2027 it plans to load ERU assemblies into additional 900 MW reactors and some 1,300 MW reactors. EDF estimates that using ERU would enable it to reduce its need for natural uranium by 20%-25%

If EDF follows through on an intention for ERU assemblies to reach 30% of the uranium loaded into its reactors in the 2030s, something mooted in a February LinkedIn post from Orano executive Cedric Lewandowski, it may indeed make a dent in its RepU stockpiles. But given the fact that France recently announced plans to maintain its closed nuclear fuel cycle until at least 2100, further inventories of RepU will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future. Under the system that will now be extended for many decades, EDF's spent fuel assemblies are sent to Orano's La Hague reprocessing plant in Normandy, where the assemblies that had been produced with enriched natural uranium are then separated into recovered uranium and plutonium, as well as non-reusable vitrified waste. The recovered uranium is then transported in liquid uranyl nitrate form to Orano's Tricastin complex in southeastern France, where it is converted into oxide RepU. That material can then be shipped to RepU converters, and then enrichers, before being fabricated into fuel assemblies at Framatome's Romans-sur-Isere facility and loaded into EDF's reactors, 24 of which (for the moment all 900 MW reactors) are authorized to take ERU fuel.

The Challenges of Diversification

When EDF decided to restart ERU usage in 2018, it signed RepU enrichment contracts with Rosatom subsidiary Tenex and Urenco over Orano, which has the capacity to enrich RepU at its Georges Besse II enrichment facility in Tricastin. EDF told Energy Intelligence at the time its choice was made based on “commercial attractiveness of the offer and quality of the process.” This choice to proceed with two different suppliers should have provided some diversification, with RepU converted by Rosatom subsidiary Tvel delivered to both Tenex's Seversk plant in Russia and Urenco’s Almelo enrichment facility in the Netherlands for subsequent enrichment. But Tvel “has faced a variety of issues trying to fulfill its contract with EDF to deliver RepU to Almelo,” and a first shipment initially expected last year is now expected to arrive in the fourth quarter of 2024, said one industry source. Tvel has managed to secure export permits, but “needs to still nail down transport logistics” that have proven difficult due to Russian sanctions.

At some point this logistical issue will be solved, and Urenco should provide some diversification for enrichment of RepU — even though the RepU contract with Rosatom subsidiary Tenex lasts through
2032. The bigger hurdle remains RepU conversion, which only Tvel supplies. An EDF spokesperson told Energy Intelligence, “EDF is discussing with several partners to build a reprocessed uranium conversion plant in Western Europe by 2030.”

Those prospective partners are France's state-owned Orano and Westinghouse, the US-based nuclear giant now owned by Brookfield Renewable Partners and Cameco. Westinghouse received a £13 million ($16 million) grant from the UK government in 2022 to “explore the development” of conversion, including both RepU and natural conversion, at its Springfields facility in England. That facility operated a conversion plant from 2006-14, but sources told Energy Intelligence the plant is now essentially a greenfield location, and will not have a shortened timeline to restart.

An Orano spokesperson told Energy Intelligence that Orano “has the technology and skills” to build a RepU conversion facility, and Orano's predecessor company even “operated a RepU conversion workshop in the past [decommissioned at the end of 2008].” But the spokesperson added that “from the time of decision-making, it would take approximately a decade for the construction and commissioning of a RepU conversion facility.” That would not put Orano within EDF's "by 2030" timeline. Westinghouse did not respond to Energy Intelligence questions prior to publication.

An industry source told Energy Intelligence EDF has no preference for a Westinghouse facility at Springfields or an Orano facility in France, only a preference for the most competitive offer, and that EDF hasn’t ruled out supporting both facilities. That support, however, might be pricey — one source said existing conversion facilities operate at a cost per kilogram UF6 of approximately $15-$22, but a new plant, including a RepU line, would see costs at a minimum of $30/kg, taking into account capital expenditures.

The RepU fuel cycle generally requires a few more steps than the natural uranium fuel cycle. Reactors have to be relicensed to accept ERU fuel, and fuel facilities have to be relicensed for handling of ERU fuel. While converted RepU can be fed into existing centrifuges at enrichment facilities, uranium conversion facilities require a dedicated RepU line that cannot be used for natural uranium. RepU contains radioactive constituents that are not present in fresh nuclear fuel, so “you’re working with glove boxes and using a lot of remote technology, because now you are worried about the radioactive state of the fuel,” Rod McCullum, senior director of used fuel and decommissioning at the Washington-based Nuclear Energy Institute, told Energy Intelligence.

EDF may be hoping that other nuclear operators join it in using ERU assemblies. McCullum explained that while countries that used to purchase ERU fuel from the UK and France — such as Spain, Belgium, Germany and Japan — all stopped in the past due largely to uneconomic costs of both purchasing ERU fuel and transporting that fuel, in the future "the market is wide open and there is renewed interest in many places.”

https://www.energyintel.com/0000018f-0b54-d183-abef-0f57b7540000

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#28]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMW0s4KXAAAkmtM?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Another US precision-guided weapon falls prey to Russian electronic warfare, US says
A U.S. defense official would not provide specifics, but is likely referring to Boeing’s Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb.

U.S.-provided precision-guided munitions have failed in mission after mission in Ukraine, taken down by Russian electronic warfare. On Wednesday, the Pentagon revealed the latest casualty.

A new ground-launched version of an air-to-ground weapon developed for Ukraine on a rapid timeline failed to hit targets in part because of Russian electro-magnetic warfare, Bill LaPlante, the Pentagon's acquisition chief, said at an event held by think tank CSIS.

LaPlante suggested that Ukraine may no longer be interested in the weapon. “When you send something to people in the fight of their lives that just doesn’t work, they’ll try it three times and they’ll just throw it aside,” said LaPlante.

The weapon LaPlante is referring to is very likely the Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB) based on his description, according to Bryan Clark, a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute.

A Boeing spokesperson did not confirm that LaPlante was referring to GLSDB, but said the company is “working closely with the [Defense Department] on spiral capability improvements to the ground-launch SDB system.” Spiral capability improvements refers to an iterative software development process.

The GLDSB boasts a range of 90 miles—double the range of the Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System (GMRLS) missiles Ukraine previously used to wreak havoc on Russia’s logistic centers. Funding for the weapon was approved in February 2023, and Ukraine was reportedly using the weapon by February 2024.

The weapon relies on GPS to navigate to its targets. It also has an inertial navigation system, which navigates to a target by estimating its position through the use of accelerometers and other devices.

But it is not the first GPS-guided weapon to fall afoul of Russian electronic warfare.

In congressional testimony in March, Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Daniel Patt said the targeting system for the GPS-guided Excalibur round “dropped from 70 percent effectiveness to 6 percent effectiveness over a matter of a few months as new EW mechanisms came out” in Ukraine. Patt cited the work of Jack Watling, an expert at think-tank RUSI who has traveled to Ukraine multiple times to interview Ukrainian commanders.

Russian electronic warfare attacks have also directed GMLRS missiles off course, CNN reported last spring. The missiles are similarly guided by a GPS. Russia has also successfully used electronic warfare against GPS-guided Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs), which are retrofitted aerial bombs.

Russian electronic warfare on the U.S.’s “more precise capabilities is a challenge,” the commander of the chief U.S. aid coordinating group told an audience in December.

Clark, citing a presentation by Ukrainian soldiers, said the Russians use GPS spoofers to throw off the munitions.  

GPS spoofers work by sending false location data to GPS navigation devices. Because GPS signals are weak, a stronger, false signal can be sent to override the correct inputs. Russia has used GPS spoofing in Ukraine since at least 2018. But advancements in technology mean spoofers can be created cheaply with just a software-defined radio and open-source software.

The weapons the spoofers are working against, meanwhile, are anything but cheap. A GMLRS missile costs around $160,000, while an Excalibur round can cost as much as $100,000. The GLDSB costs around $40,000.

However, the weapons were largely designed for a period before spoofers were so easy to set up, Clark said. “You didn't really see the advent of miniaturized, capable GPS spoofers until the last ten years or so, because you needed the micro-electronics to be able to do it,” Clark said.

Russia has saturated the front with electronic warfare, Clark said. Truck-mounted electronic warfare systems primarily focused on jamming drones are located every six to nine miles on Ukraine’s frontline, he said.

But Ukraine could use other U.S. munitions that are not susceptible to GPS spoofing, Clark added, citing the Harpoon missile.

The U.S. could also provide more sophisticated munitions, like the JASSM (Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile), but Clark discounted that possibility because of its range. The Biden. administration has sought to limit Ukraine’s use of longer-range weapons that could target Russia directly.  

Another solution might be to launch weapons from F-16s. Ukrainian pilots currently launch JDAMS from Soviet planes that can’t pass navigational data to the JDAMS, whereas F-16s can, Clark said. Ukrainian pilots are training on F-16s and will be ready to fly them by the end of this year.

Ukraine can also work to jam Russia’s systems, Clark added. Russia has mostly been using an analog of the JDAM, the KAB, which can also be misdirected by spoofing its guidance system.

And Ukraine is “fielding some systems now” for electronic warfare targeting of satellite navigation, Clark said. Still, since Russia is targeting civilian populations, “they may not care that much if they get spoofed.”

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2024/04/another-us-precision-guided-weapon-falls-prey-russian-electronic-warfare-us-says/396141/

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Another US precision-guided weapon falls prey to Russian electronic warfare, US says
A U.S. defense official would not provide specifics, but is likely referring to Boeing's Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb.

U.S.-provided precision-guided munitions have failed in mission after mission in Ukraine, taken down by Russian electronic warfare. On Wednesday, the Pentagon revealed the latest casualty.

A new ground-launched version of an air-to-ground weapon developed for Ukraine on a rapid timeline failed to hit targets in part because of Russian electro-magnetic warfare, Bill LaPlante, the Pentagon's acquisition chief, said at an event held by think tank CSIS.

LaPlante suggested that Ukraine may no longer be interested in the weapon. "When you send something to people in the fight of their lives that just doesn't work, they'll try it three times and they'll just throw it aside," said LaPlante.

The weapon LaPlante is referring to is very likely the Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB) based on his description, according to Bryan Clark, a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute.

A Boeing spokesperson did not confirm that LaPlante was referring to GLSDB, but said the company is "working closely with the [Defense Department] on spiral capability improvements to the ground-launch SDB system." Spiral capability improvements refers to an iterative software development process.

The GLDSB boasts a range of 90 miles double the range of the Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System (GMRLS) missiles Ukraine previously used to wreak havoc on Russia's logistic centers. Funding for the weapon was approved in February 2023, and Ukraine was reportedly using the weapon by February 2024.

The weapon relies on GPS to navigate to its targets. It also has an inertial navigation system, which navigates to a target by estimating its position through the use of accelerometers and other devices.

But it is not the first GPS-guided weapon to fall afoul of Russian electronic warfare.

In congressional testimony in March, Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Daniel Patt said the targeting system for the GPS-guided Excalibur round "dropped from 70 percent effectiveness to 6 percent effectiveness over a matter of a few months as new EW mechanisms came out" in Ukraine. Patt cited the work of Jack Watling, an expert at think-tank RUSI who has traveled to Ukraine multiple times to interview Ukrainian commanders.

Russian electronic warfare attacks have also directed GMLRS missiles off course, CNN reported last spring. The missiles are similarly guided by a GPS. Russia has also successfully used electronic warfare against GPS-guided Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs), which are retrofitted aerial bombs.

Russian electronic warfare on the U.S.'s "more precise capabilities is a challenge," the commander of the chief U.S. aid coordinating group told an audience in December.

Clark, citing a presentation by Ukrainian soldiers, said the Russians use GPS spoofers to throw off the munitions.  

GPS spoofers work by sending false location data to GPS navigation devices. Because GPS signals are weak, a stronger, false signal can be sent to override the correct inputs. Russia has used GPS spoofing in Ukraine since at least 2018. But advancements in technology mean spoofers can be created cheaply with just a software-defined radio and open-source software.

The weapons the spoofers are working against, meanwhile, are anything but cheap. A GMLRS missile costs around $160,000, while an Excalibur round can cost as much as $100,000. The GLDSB costs around $40,000.

However, the weapons were largely designed for a period before spoofers were so easy to set up, Clark said. "You didn't really see the advent of miniaturized, capable GPS spoofers until the last ten years or so, because you needed the micro-electronics to be able to do it," Clark said.

Russia has saturated the front with electronic warfare, Clark said. Truck-mounted electronic warfare systems primarily focused on jamming drones are located every six to nine miles on Ukraine's frontline, he said.

But Ukraine could use other U.S. munitions that are not susceptible to GPS spoofing, Clark added, citing the Harpoon missile.

The U.S. could also provide more sophisticated munitions, like the JASSM (Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile), but Clark discounted that possibility because of its range. The Biden. administration has sought to limit Ukraine's use of longer-range weapons that could target Russia directly.  

Another solution might be to launch weapons from F-16s. Ukrainian pilots currently launch JDAMS from Soviet planes that can't pass navigational data to the JDAMS, whereas F-16s can, Clark said. Ukrainian pilots are training on F-16s and will be ready to fly them by the end of this year.

Ukraine can also work to jam Russia's systems, Clark added. Russia has mostly been using an analog of the JDAM, the KAB, which can also be misdirected by spoofing its guidance system.

And Ukraine is "fielding some systems now" for electronic warfare targeting of satellite navigation, Clark said. Still, since Russia is targeting civilian populations, "they may not care that much if they get spoofed."

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2024/04/another-us-precision-guided-weapon-falls-prey-russian-electronic-warfare-us-says/396141/

View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMW0s4KXAAAkmtM?format=jpg&name=900x900

A U.S. defense official would not provide specifics, but is likely referring to Boeing's Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb.

LaPlante suggested that Ukraine may no longer be interested in the weapon. "When you send something to people in the fight of their lives that just doesn't work, they'll try it three times and they'll just throw it aside," said LaPlante.

A Boeing spokesperson did not confirm that LaPlante was referring to GLSDB, but said the company is "working closely with the [Defense Department] on spiral capability improvements to the ground-launch SDB system." Spiral capability improvements refers to an iterative software development process.

The GLDSB boasts a range of 90 miles double the range of the Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System (GMRLS) missiles Ukraine previously used to wreak havoc on Russia's logistic centers. Funding for the weapon was approved in February 2023, and Ukraine was reportedly using the weapon by February 2024.

In congressional testimony in March, Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Daniel Patt said the targeting system for the GPS-guided Excalibur round "dropped from 70 percent effectiveness to 6 percent effectiveness over a matter of a few months as new EW mechanisms came out" in Ukraine. Patt cited the work of Jack Watling, an expert at think-tank RUSI who has traveled to Ukraine multiple times to interview Ukrainian commanders.

Russian electronic warfare on the U.S.'s "more precise capabilities is a challenge," the commander of the chief U.S. aid coordinating group told an audience in December.

However, the weapons were largely designed for a period before spoofers were so easy to set up, Clark said. "You didn't really see the advent of miniaturized, capable GPS spoofers until the last ten years or so, because you needed the micro-electronics to be able to do it," Clark said.

Russia has saturated the front with electronic warfare, Clark said. Truck-mounted electronic warfare systems primarily focused on jamming drones are located every six to nine miles on Ukraine's frontline, he said.

The U.S. could also provide more sophisticated munitions, like the JASSM (Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile), but Clark discounted that possibility because of its range. The Biden. administration has sought to limit Ukraine's use of longer-range weapons that could target Russia directly.  

Another solution might be to launch weapons from F-16s. Ukrainian pilots currently launch JDAMS from Soviet planes that can't pass navigational data to the JDAMS, whereas F-16s can, Clark said. Ukrainian pilots are training on F-16s and will be ready to fly them by the end of this year.

Ukraine can also work to jam Russia's systems, Clark added. Russia has mostly been using an analog of the JDAM, the KAB, which can also be misdirected by spoofing its guidance system.

And Ukraine is "fielding some systems now" for electronic warfare targeting of satellite navigation, Clark said. Still, since Russia is targeting civilian populations, "they may not care that much if they get spoofed."

The lack of OPSEC with this administration is about as absurd as its lack of strategy over managing this conflict.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:19:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Patriot, IRIS-T, and Nasams have proven themselves in this conflict pretty well. So has the Avenger.

Buy some
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#34]
As always, thanks for the updates for those of us that silently follow along each day.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

That's a former Ukrainian T64BV reused by the Russians.

Notice the camo pattern on the sides.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:49:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:
As always, thanks for the updates for those of us that silently follow along each day.
View Quote

Capta, AT, and Prime are what makes it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:51:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#37]
What we have.
Western countries continue to trade with the Russian Federation despite the sanctions. They buy oil products and various raw materials. Instead, they sell goods for the Russian defense industry. Russian weapons are stuffed with Western components.

Aid to Ukraine is always accompanied by enormous difficulties, while the Russians have dispersed their military-industrial complex and have no problems with quick decision-making and adaptation. In this situation, if Ukraine simply linearly destroys the Russians and their equipment on its territory, it will not be able to win.
1/

For us, this war is a matter of survival. In order to have a chance for this survival, we must destroy the launchers from which the Russians launch strikes on Ukraine, the enterprises that produce weapons and equipment, facilities that produce fuel, etc.

Otherwise it will just be a drag on the obvious end. And any weapons that will come to us as help will be a postponement of the inevitable. Inevitable if everything remains as it was. Unless we deprive them of the means of waging war. A sufficient amount of money, production facilities, equipment, etc.

We have a situation where technologically the Ukrainian and Russian armies are mostly on the same level. Even the superiority of the invaders in missile weapons is still largely based on the Soviet legacy. As in the case of air-based launchers.

In this situation, as soon as Ukraine finds some effective technological solutions, the Russians adopt them and do more. And when no one has a decisive technological advantage, then the one who has the most will ultimately win.

The same applies to improving tactics. If you have similar technologies, they dictate the same or similar tactical decisions. True, the enemy can adapt faster and better. This is the kind of opponent we are dealing with. They adapt.

There is simply a gap in our mass consciousness that does not allow us to follow this process for a longer period. Before the invasion of 2022, the Russians had learned many lessons from 2008 in Georgia, then the invasion of Ukraine in 2014, then Syria. And in this war, they rapidly adapt. We will slip in this plan - there will be grief. 2/

In addition to urgent tasks related to the development of our own military industry, mobilization, closing technological gaps, etc., we must finally start waging a systemic semantic war. How the enemy does it. We must fight to shape thinking and reactions in the west.

Of course, this requires resources, which the enemy throws into this matter disproportionately. But you need to look for ways and opportunities. Changing the perception of this war, changing the reaction to our actions and the actions of the Russians. When the Russians are allowed everything in this war, and we are restricted, for example, with regard to strikes on their territory, this is a loss in the semantic war. Changing this paradigm in our favor is, accordingly, a victory.

We are not the only ones who will lose in it. The West is also lagging behind. Although he sometimes takes the necessary steps, it is not enough. Did you notice that those who were running around with the mantra about the "strategic defeat of Russia" suddenly fell silent? We have to ask ourselves questions, but I can't help but say that this speaks volumes for the level of planning and understanding of the situation on the part of decision-makers in the West. 3/

The enemy does not just have resources and use them. It quickly adapts to tactics, technological changes and new conditions that constantly arise on the battlefield. This is something that we did not want to notice for a long time in our country and in the West. We should have the most flexible and fast AAR system, the systematization of combat experience with real implementation in the combat training system.

Such adaptability, combined with the constant search for technological and tactical solutions and the scaling of their implementation and production of technical means, always leaves us and the West in the role of those who catch up. Both we and the West have made mistakes that the Russians are sure to use against us. 4/

Pretty interesting report.

https://assets-global.website-files.com/65ca33870401867f9de42990/662fd9e5babab80d3ba16fe1_Rhodus%20OSINT%20Sample_Votkinsk%20_.pdf

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:54:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

View All Quotes

Nah, you guys do.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#39]

View All Quotes

Thanks man, I appreciate it.  I think there are a lot more reading this thread than we’ll ever know, and I hope we’re getting them good info in one place.
Also just a side note.  It’s usually worth checking my link drop posts a while after you first see them.  Typically I post in chunks, because I’ve had it happen where a post I’m building somehow gets nuked before posting, and I have to do it allllll over again.  That’s taught me to post links in groups then edit as I add more links.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:00:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#40]
Man, I don't know.
This might all be fiction.

Background
View Quote

Vladimir Valeryevich Osechkin (Russian: Владимир Валерьевич Осечкин; born 14 June 1981, Samara) is a Russian-born human rights activist who operates the anti-corruption website Gulagu.net from Paris, propagandist, the city to which he fled in 2015.[1][2][3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Osechkin
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:06:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Man, I don't know.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUFKcSbYAATYu8?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUFPkNagAAqVky?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUFTHEbMAA9fAq?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUFWvZaYAA_xey?format=jpg&name=large

Background

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUG176asAAE0NE?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUG3Y1a0AA0h7y?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUHqGgagAAO1Qj?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUIEIiakAADbaK?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUJArgboAA-kRE?format=png&name=medium

View All Quotes
Man, I don't know.

Background

Totally believe he and Shoigu were utterly corrupt.  Still don’t believe at all they had anything to do with the decision to invade Ukraine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:11:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#42]

China's New Aircraft Carrier Pulls Away From Its Pier Ahead Of Sea Trials

China's latest aircraft carrier, the Fujian, appears poised to leave port to begin initial sea trials. The development comes soon after five aircraft mockups appeared on the deck of the flattop, as you can read about here, and a little over three months since we got our best view of the warship in its completed form. Once the Fujian goes to sea, it will mark a hugely important step in the development of the country's naval aviation, with the carrier being the first of its kind to be fully locally designed and also China's first to launch aircraft via catapults rather than by a 'ski jump' takeoff ramp.
View Quote
The Fujian, in contrast, lacks a bow ramp and instead is equipped for catapult-assisted takeoff but arrested recovery, or CATOBAR, operations. While recovery is the same, CATOBAR carriers employ catapults to launch fixed-wing aircraft, allowing them to take off with much heavier fuel and weapons loads.

The advantages of CATOBAR are further enhanced in the Type 003 design, which also employs advanced electromagnetic aircraft launch system (EMALS) type catapults   three in total   rather than the traditional steam-powered ones. Currently, the U.S. Navy's Gerald R. Ford class is the only other type of in-production carrier with EMALS and the introduction of this technology by the United States has been far from straightforward.
View Quote
Meanwhile, the PLAN is also heavily engaged in modernizing its rotary-wing fleet, with different versions of the H-60 Seahawk-like Z-20 at the forefront of these plans. In particular, this type will be tasked with providing a defensive anti-submarine warfare screen around the carrier strike group.

So far, mockups of the J-15, J-35, and KJ-600 have all already appeared on the Fujian, together with the JL-10J, a carrier-compatible version of the JL-10J advanced jet trainer.
View Quote

So the PLAN has essentially copy-modeled itself after the USN from aircraft carrier to aircraft types.
J-15 = F-18 E/F/G
J-35 = F-35C
KJ-600 = E-2 Hawkeye
Z-20 = H-60 Seahawk
JL-10J = T-45 Goshawk

Truly no shame which is odd for a culture sensitive to "saving face".
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:14:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Man, I don't know.

Background

Vladimir Valeryevich Osechkin (Russian: Владимир Валерьевич Осечкин; born 14 June 1981, Samara) is a Russian-born human rights activist who operates the anti-corruption website Gulagu.net from Paris, propagandist, the city to which he fled in 2015.[1][2][3]
View All Quotes
Man, I don't know.

Background

Shoigu? The 2nd in command of the entire Russian military? Corrupt?

No way. That's only for Ukraine
Originally Posted By Capta:

Thanks man, I appreciate it.  I think there are a lot more reading this thread than we’ll ever know, and I hope we’re getting them good info in one place.
Also just a side note.  It’s usually worth checking my link drop posts a while after you first see them.  Typically I post in chunks, because I’ve had it happen where a post I’m building somehow gets nuked before posting, and I have to do it allllll over again.  That’s taught me to post links in groups then edit as I add more links.

You're awfully slacking as of late..is the world still turning or nah

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Here we go again. The 1930s repeat. The same wacko deniers, enablers, and fools are going to get millions killed again too. The only thing we are missing so far is the jackass waving a piece of paper and giggling we have peace in our time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:39:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Chisum:
Here we go again. The 1930s repeat. The same wacko deniers, enablers, and fools are going to get millions killed again too. The only thing we are missing so far is the jackass waving a piece of paper and giggling we have peace in our time.
View Quote

In the 1930s we had people saying "Germany didn't declare war on the USA. Why antagonize them with support for the UK and French?".

"Ukrainians are mag dumping Patriots at 20k shaheds!"

Ukraine Uses a Yak-52 Trainer to Hunt Drones
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:53:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#47]
🤬 Odessa residents continue to find fragments of the 🚀 Iskander-M rocket in their private homes after yesterday’s attack
https://t.me/odessa_infonews/53611

Russia hit students' palace in Odessa with an "Iskander" missile
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#48]
More about Canada than it is about Ukraine.

Ukraine Needs Another 1,000 Armored Personnel Carriers. It’s Taking Canada A Year To Deliver 50.
A shortage of APCs limits Ukrainian troops’ mobility—and exposes them to Russian fire.

More than anything, Ukraine needs artillery, air defenses and fresh infantry for its battered combat brigades.

In fourth place: armored personnel carriers. These nimble, easy-to-maintain vehicles can speed troops between fighting positions while protecting them from gunfire and artillery fragments.

The desperate need for APCs—as well as infantry fighting vehicles, which are more heavily armed—helps to explain the frustration over Canada’s glacially slow transfer of Bison APCs to Ukraine.

Any APCs are better than no APCs. But a few hundred APCs would be much better than the 89 Bisons—also known as “Armored Combat Support Vehicles,” or ASCVs—that Ukraine has been getting from Canada for more than two years.

The government in Ottawa announced the donation of 89 Bisons starting in June 2022. First, the Canadians offered 39 used Bisons from Canadian army surplus stocks. Then, in September 2023, they pledged an additional (50) newly-built Bisons fresh off General Dynamics’ assembly line. Together, the 89 vehicles—plus spare parts and crew training—are worth around $900 million.

The 39 used Bisons arrived quickly and likely equipped no more than one battalion in one brigade in a military with a hundred brigades overseeing several hundred battalions. The Ukrainians lost one of the 14-ton, 10-person Bisons in action in southern Ukraine last year.

The 50 new Bisons—enough for another battalion—are taking a very long time to reach the front line. “The first 10 of 50 Armored Combat Support Vehicles that Canada will donate to Ukraine will be delivered to Europe this summer,” Canadian Defense Minister Bill Blair announced Friday. “Ukrainians will be trained on the vehicles in the summer, and the vehicles will move to Ukraine in the fall.”

From pledge to delivery, it will have taken Canada a year to supply 50 APCs. In that same span of time, the Ukrainians will have lost—at the average rate—around 500 APCs and IFVs, according to data from the analysts at Oryx.

Canada isn’t the only country supplying Ukraine with armored vehicles, of course. The United States, Germany and Poland in particular have donated hundreds of APCs and IFVs.

Since Russia widened its war on Ukraine 26 months ago, Ukraine’s allies have delivered around 2,000 personnel carriers and fighting vehicles. Subtracting the 1,000 or so APCs and IFVs the Ukrainians have lost, it might seem that Kyiv’s forces have a thousand more personnel carriers and fighting vehicles than they need.

The problem is that, since 2022, Ukraine’s armed forces have roughly doubled in size. The 2,000 Soviet-made APCs and IFVs the Ukrainians had before the wider war may have been enough for 50 brigades, but they weren’t nearly enough for 100 brigades. Add 2,000 donated vehicles and subtract a thousand lost vehicles and you get a 1,000-vehicle shortfall.

Ukrainian commanders knew this would be a problem. “We need everything, but IFVs are probably the most urgent need we have,” an unnamed officer in a Ukrainian mechanized brigade told Foreign Policy early last year.

It’s not unreasonable for Canadian industry to take a year to produce and ship 50 brand-new APCs. What might seem unreasonable, to friends of a free Ukraine, is that the Canadian government didn’t have to wait for workers to finish those 50 new Bisons. Ottawa had—and still has—options for sending APCs to Ukraine immediately.

The Canadian army is replacing its older armored vehicles with newer models. The modernization drive has freed up more than 400 older vehicles, including variants of the M-113 APC along with Bisons and similar Coyotes.

There was an uproar last fall when the Canadian government announced plans to scrap all 400 vehicles instead of donating them to Ukraine. The Canadian defense ministry stressed that many of the vehicles are “in very poor condition” after decades of hard use.

At least one Ukrainian official said she didn’t mind. “Ukrainians are ready to take even junk, tear it apart and make one out of three machines,” Oleksandra Ustinova, the head of a parliamentary commission on munitions, told CBC News.

Moreover, Ontario company Armatec Survivability submitted an unsolicited bid to refurbish and update the aged vehicles, reportedly at a rate of eight per month. Neither Ustinova’s plea nor Armatec’s proposal compelled the government in Ottawa to offer the old vehicles to Ukraine, however.

Instead, the Ukrainians are waiting a year for 50 new Bisons in order to meet approximately five percent of their demand for APCs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/04/29/ukraine-needs-another-1000-armored-personnel-carriers-its-taking-canada-a-year-to-deliver-50/

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#49]
In Dzhankoy, 5 servicemen of the Russian Armed Forces were wounded after a missile attack on a military airfield this night, ASTRA sources

Tonight, April 30, ballistic missiles (presumably MGM-140 ATACMS) again attacked the Dzhankoy military airfield, the location of the helicopter regiment of the 4th Air Force and Air Defense Command of the Southern Military District, ASTRA sources in the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the annexed region report. As a result of the attack, 5 soldiers were wounded.

At night, ASTRA readers also reported about a fire at the military airfield in Dzhankoy. Residents also wrote about numerous explosions on social networks. The “authorities” of the annexed region did not comment on this in any way, and the representative of the occupation movement Rogov stated that the air defense completely repelled the missile attack.

The airfield had already been attacked by missiles on April 17, when local residents caught fire.

https://t.me/astrapress/54326

Crimea, Ukraine ...

firmly and clearly .. 11-15 ATACAMS missiles ... preparations are underway ...

There are sixty-one days left (61) before the massive strike on the General Secretary Putin bridge, by a high-ranking official of the Main Intelligence Directorate and The Guardian.

https://t.me/supernova_plus/30905

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 65
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top