Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy you're over a hot L.Z. bail out,/ break away!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By delemorte:
Drug's. Lots and lots of drugs
View Quote

More modern Dead.
I like the jam band stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fike:

They are whimsical to the Dead’s soul, though I would argue that JGB was Jerry’s true soul project.
View Quote

You don't have to argue.  He said all he really wanted to do with his life was do JGB shows and play with Merle Sanders and his other pals in SF area clubs.  Grateful Dead killed the poor guy.  He was a trooper and fed the machine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

The phrase "friends don't let friends listen to Phish" was often seen in places frequented by deadheads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BM1455:
Basically the Grateful Dead 2.0 .
Phish was a big thing in Maine back in the late 1990's-early 2000's. I never liked them but a lot of kids here then did. Probably a good thing they came along when they did because a lot of Grateful Dead followers transformed into Phish followers and when Jerry Garcia died I was expecting a lot of lost followers to off themselves because their follow around the country lifestyle thing died with him. Phish took that same crowd and gave them a new place to go.

The phrase "friends don't let friends listen to Phish" was often seen in places frequented by deadheads.

I remember those, along with “Lesh is More”

What I remember about that time was that when Jerry died there was a big shift of Deadheads to Phish tour, but for a lot of them it was short-lived. There were a lot of similarities but the scenes weren’t the same. I was into both bands but hung out with a lot more kids from Dead tour than Phish tour. After maybe two seasons a lot of Deadheads dropped off Phish tour and went back to more Dead type jam bands. You can’t even mention Phish on most GD or Dead & Co. pages on FB without triggering nationwide seizures even though there’s still a huge crossover of fans.

And these bastards were at every show. IYKYK.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SnowboundinNH:

What I remember about that time was that when Jerry died there was a big shift of Deadheads to Phish tour, but for a lot of them it was short-lived. There were a lot of similarities but the scenes weren’t the same. I was into both bands but hung out with a lot more kids from Dead tour than Phish tour. After maybe two seasons a lot of Deadheads dropped off Phish tour and went back to more Dead type jam bands. You can’t even mention Phish on most GD or Dead & Co. pages on FB without triggering nationwide seizures even though there’s still a huge crossover of fans.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_2668_jpeg-3198045.JPG

That's fucking crazy.  The whole god dam scene lies on the foundation of mindfulness, compassion, and who gives a fuck.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

That was such a cool looking bus, but those 12 Tribes cultists were some weird fuckers. I was told about them by a friend when I wanted to take pics of the bus.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BBFCM] [#7]

Attachment Attached File

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BM1455:
Basically the Grateful Dead 2.0 .
Phish was a big thing in Maine back in the late 1990's-early 2000's. I never liked them but a lot of kids here then did. Probably a good thing they came along when they did because a lot of Grateful Dead followers transformed into Phish followers and when Jerry Garcia died I was expecting a lot of lost followers to off themselves because their follow around the country lifestyle thing died with him. Phish took that same crowd and gave them a new place to go.

Attachment Attached File

Hah! Ventura ‘98. Somehow I couldn’t find a grilled cheese after the show. Ended up buying a plate of spaghetti off them weirdos. Good times.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:11:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowboundinNH] [#8]
Originally Posted By Backscatter:

That was such a cool looking bus, but those 12 Tribes cultists were some weird fuckers. I was told about them by a friend when I wanted to take pics of the bus.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Backscatter:

The inside of the bus is amazing. I already knew who they were from other shows but wanted to check it out (the bus, not the cult), so asked for a band-aid at Lemonwheel. They gave me a tour….and cookies

It’s an incredibly strict cult that preys on lost and impressionable kids. They’ve been under investigation multiple times for child abuse in NH, and ironically their members are banned from listening to music.

I didn’t see them at any Dead & Co shows last summer.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BBFCM:

Hah! Ventura ‘98. Somehow I couldn’t find a grilled cheese after the show. Ended up buying a plate of spaghetti off them weirdos. Good times.
View Quote

I was at that show too! My starter took a crap on my old Bronco and we ended up hitching a ride back to Thousand Oaks from some other fans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By delemorte:
Drug's. Lots and lots of drugs
View Quote

This, but only after first doing drugs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
its all noise until you break the code.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:41:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zen_grasshopper] [#12]
https://youtube.com/shorts/ELXfFPGMkrw?si=s7qqH-96gld8Argj

Drew Carey really liked the show apparently. Don’t know how to embed a short.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BoiseG:
Give Billy Strings a try, his live shows are amazing. Not all of his songs are long jams, but he has some that last 30 minutes or more. I don’t care for the singing from Phish music but I do like their instrumental jams.
View Quote

Billy Strings is a talented dude.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:27:11 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was in Grad school and the dinosaurs walked the earth, I knew people who I might have previously called friends who became Dead Heads.  But the Dead died, so they joined the hippy group that migrated with Phish.  I know they brought back cheap acid when they came back after the summer.  DAMN cheap acid - $100/sheet (I am not a drug user, but I think a sheet was like 100 hits).

Honestly, I knew a handful of people who brought back the acid - I just got depressed because I saw a good kid (who was almost a friend) fry his mind and migrate with the band.  Over the next few years he came by occasionally for food - he was "urban camping" before it was generally cool (Y2K).  Austin always had homeless, but he was one of the first of the new wave that is occupying Austin now).  His sister still lived with us at the time, so he always had a free meal if he stopped by - but it was fucking sad.  She was one of those girls that men just think of as their little sister  - someone precious that needed to be protected.  Hotter than Fuck, but still young and innocent.  If you are 30 or older, you might understand what I am saying.  She was the little sister of someone we used to consider a friend - he had tapped out, but we would still protect her as family.

Sorry, just reminiscing of a long time ago, 2 lifetimes ago it seems (but a VERY similar thing is timely with another friend - but with more complications).

Anyway, I also understand.  I did go see them in concert once.  I really could not understand what the fuss was about.  Just not my thing.  It was a 4th of July Concert - they were there, with Toby Keith and Willie Nelson (who really was not all there..., but that is Willie I guess).  FWIW, my first concert was Willies 1976 4th of July Concert.  It was "unique".  Kind of like a Willie Woodstock.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:29:10 AM EDT
[#15]
You should have started this thread on 4/20.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top