User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:
My rule #1 when weird intermittent stuff is happening- check the neutral/grounding connections.
View Quote

This. Neutral is often the source of gremlins, so don't just look at the receptacle and the breaker hot connection, trace the associated neutral wire in the panel to the neutral bus and check that connection.

Get rid of those Ideal style push-in wire connectors. Real wire nuts put over a properly twisted set of wires are much more reliable and offer less resistance. That's unlikely to be your problem, but it's worth addressing while you're in the box.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:
High resistance fault/loose wire somewhere is my guess.  You'll have good voltage with no power usage, but zero or low voltage under power.
View Quote

My guess as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
Did they even make the Wago connectors 10 years ago?

I'd remove them completely and wire up the switch direct.  Then pop the cover on the main panel and eye ball the connections.
View Quote

They don't look like Wago, they look like Ideal push-in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'd remove them completely and wire up the switch direct.  Then pop the cover on the main panel and eye ball the connections.

They’re already gone. I just have to get the neutral cleaned up and reinstall/ensure it’s tight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

WAGO Lever-Nuts are great, those push in Ideal ones suck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd change the breaker out to a GFCI, not the outlet.  You don't want to crawl down and reach  to it to reset it.  

Good catch on loose neutral.  I maybe a bit obsessive compulsive but I tend to check the tightness in the main panel when I first get a house and anytime I'm inside it while updating or repairing the house electrical.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bajagringo:
I’m assuming that you have a switch for the garbage disposal. That is where your problem is. Not the switch itself but the connections in that box.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

Looks like 17 and 14 are heating up too.

ETA

In pic in the OP why are those wagos even there? The wire is plenty long enough to contact the outlet directly.
View Quote

I don’t know but they’re gone now. We’ll check the tightness of all the neutrals when we clean up this one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Pretty sure. The dishwasher plug has its own breaker and it wouldn’t make sense to put that on a switch somewhere. The guy who built the house had his father, who is an electrician, pull all the wiring. He did mostly commercial stuff so I’m thinking the use of the red Wiring was just what he had on hand.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Originally Posted By Torf:
You positive there is no 3-way switch anywhere on that same run?  Anywhere in that same room?

Pretty sure. The dishwasher plug has its own breaker and it wouldn’t make sense to put that on a switch somewhere. The guy who built the house had his father, who is an electrician, pull all the wiring. He did mostly commercial stuff so I’m thinking the use of the red Wiring was just what he had on hand.

I was wondering about the red wire.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top