Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 700 dollar a month house payment, there is no way I could afford my house if I bought it today.  If I were to sell tomorrow it would go for a little under 500K.  I live in a double wide BTW. . The houses in town are going for much more and people are still buying them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank goodness my wife tugged on my bootstraps towards buying a house in 2016.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
@JLPettimoreIII

I swear you got a story about this
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Boomers?  Hell this is probably true of anyone that’s owned their house now for 10+ years.  
View Quote

The thread has nothing to do with housing prices.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BeRzErKaS:
Dumb article. Clickbait title. Meaningless statistics.

Boomers are almost 80 years old.

So an 80yo couldn't afford to buy their current home, at the current price, on a retiree's income? No shit.

Did they compare the Boomer's historical income and original purchase price to to inflation adjusted figures representing modern dollars?  Nope.
View Quote

Right.  But also it’s like saying “boomer invested $20k  in an IRA in the 80s and now it’s worth $1m.  Theres no way a boomer could afford to invest $1m today”.  
I mean it’s kind of the whole point of owning assets the appreciate over decades as inflation reduces the value of the dollar.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]
supply and demand

there is only so much land in the  cool hip parts of town that millennials and zillenials want to love in.   Also housing demand was REDUCED after the Great Recession so inventory was lower in 2020 when all MILLENIALS SUDDENLY Wanted to buy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By phungus:
https://fortune.com/2024/04/23/housing-market-baby-boomers-home-prices-mortgage-rates-redfin/

Home prices have doubled over the past decade, rising almost 50% in the past five years alone. And the cost of owning a home is the highest on record. This means a lot of people wouldn’t be able to afford their current home if they had to buy it today, according to a Redfin-commissioned survey.

Homeowners were asked, “If you were looking to purchase a home, do you think you could afford a home like yours in your neighborhood today?” And almost 40% of respondents said they “probably” or “definitely” couldn’t. Most homeowners who responded to the survey (roughly 80%) have lived in their home for at least five to 10 years. “That means the majority of respondents have seen housing prices in their neighborhood skyrocket since they purchased their home,” the analysis said
View Quote

This goes beyond boomers, we’re talking the vast majority of every generation pre-gen Z would struggle to buy a home right now. Especially in the metropolitan areas where the higher paying jobs tend to be. As far as the solution? Nobody really knows what to do so we just screech about how young folk buy too much Starbucks, avocado toast, and iPhones as an effort to justify their situation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:50:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#8]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ScopeScar:

F the government that caused this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dano556x45mm:
F the boomers.

F both
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#10]
F the boomers.
View Quote

Should have been born earlier.  Should have bought when rates were lower.  Should have bought when houses were cheaper.  Should have bought boots with straps.  Should have married better.  Should have.....

But you got dealt the same cards I did so......  Play the hand the best you can.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

I’m pretty sure the baby boomers made it through a stock market collapse, gas shortages, another economic depression, and still found a way to keep their dream alive. Millennials can toughen up, and Generation Z can be the ones crying about home prices.   Maybe Gen X could learn the difference between Z and Millennial.
View Quote

There it is.

"We had it hard too, toughen up"

How about acknowledge that the government is absolutely fucking up everything in astronomical ways for Millennials right now? There is less net freedom today than 50 years ago. Even with all those things going on back then, there was widespread opportunity. Now there is limited opportunity, limited jobs, stagnant wage growth, and record inflation.

Also, let Gen Z worry about housing prices? That's the attitude I'm talking about. Boomers have this generational disdain for anyone younger than them. It's incredible. "It's their problem". Wow. Way to be a team player, stud. I actually care about what I'm doing for my kids.

Almost every single politician that has fucked this situation up is a boomer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

It's not hate. It's a statement of fact.

Housing prices have skyrocketed. If you secured a mortgage for a home 15-25 years ago (when most millennials were still in high school), your home would be double, triple, or quadruple the value today (depending on area).

Boomers are lucky they were in the market before this. Boomers I know will say "yeah the house was only 40k, but my interest rate was 12%! I got rejected for 2 mortgages before I finally got a house!". Yeah that's unfortunate and all, but at least there were houses for sale that you could actually afford with your current pay. That is not the case today. Also, if you did have to rent, it wasn't costing 40% of your fucking monthly income.

I don't hate boomers. I hate the attitude that seems to come with them. "bootstraps, wasting money on cell phones and Netflix, get a better job, etc. etc.". Man, I DID ALL THAT. I lived poor as fuck from 18-28. I'm still not in a wealthy state. I have a little spending money now and then but man, shit is tight. I went to college, I believed all the lies. School grades -> college -> high paying job -> house, car, family. Bullshit.

I'm not blaming boomers for the current situation, I'm blaming them for sitting smug and telling millennials that it's not that bad and to toughen up. It's BAD right now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Ah, boomer hate Wednesdays.

It's not hate. It's a statement of fact.

Housing prices have skyrocketed. If you secured a mortgage for a home 15-25 years ago (when most millennials were still in high school), your home would be double, triple, or quadruple the value today (depending on area).

Boomers are lucky they were in the market before this. Boomers I know will say "yeah the house was only 40k, but my interest rate was 12%! I got rejected for 2 mortgages before I finally got a house!". Yeah that's unfortunate and all, but at least there were houses for sale that you could actually afford with your current pay. That is not the case today. Also, if you did have to rent, it wasn't costing 40% of your fucking monthly income.

I don't hate boomers. I hate the attitude that seems to come with them. "bootstraps, wasting money on cell phones and Netflix, get a better job, etc. etc.". Man, I DID ALL THAT. I lived poor as fuck from 18-28. I'm still not in a wealthy state. I have a little spending money now and then but man, shit is tight. I went to college, I believed all the lies. School grades -> college -> high paying job -> house, car, family. Bullshit.

I'm not blaming boomers for the current situation, I'm blaming them for sitting smug and telling millennials that it's not that bad and to toughen up. It's BAD right now.

I agree with you that it is horribly bad right now.  I try to help my daughter as much as I can via grandpa school pickup and activities, handyman services at her house, and investing for generational wealth.  My house is paid for, and she will inherit it, along with whatever I can invest before I shed this mortal coil.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
WTF is wrong with you people? Real estate almost always goes up. My parents would pay $20,000 for a house in 1963, and I paid $125,000 for my house 30 years ago - its now at 3x that much. Its inflation and its a fact of life.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#14]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
WTF is wrong with you people? Real estate almost always goes up. My parents would pay $20,000 for a house in 1963, and I paid $125,000 for my house 30 years ago - its now at 3x that much. Its inflation and its a fact of life.
View Quote

Whats wrong is that while investments and value has gone up, income has not.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

I agree with you that it is horribly bad right now.  I try to help my daughter as much as I can via grandpa school pickup and activities, handyman services at her house, and investing for generational wealth.  My house is paid for, and she will inherit it, along with whatever I can invest before I shed this mortal coil.
View Quote

God bless you
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Firearmsenthusiast:
It's not just boomers.  We bought a project house in 2018, and moved in.  We are only half way done with it, and we could not afford to buy it today.  Well we could, but there is no way I would. Our payment would be double.  When we are done with renovations, we will be living in house we could not otherwise have afforded.

Yeah ok, it great for us, but it is no way a sustainable market.
View Quote

Pretty much this.   I could probably afford it but I wouldn’t spend that money.  I’d scale back to a small retirement sized house with less tax implications.  They’re raping the shit out of us on property and school taxes.  My house is likely a median cost house in the county, they upped my assessment $120 k in the short ten years I’ve owned it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#17]
F the boomers.
View Quote

I am assuming you are saying this for comedic effect.

The truth is: FUCK all Liberals from all generations.  FUCK them in every orifice with a rusty barb wire coated cactus. Fuck them to death and may they rot in hell for eternity for their ignorance and evil.  

The reason all the bad things are accelerating is because the latest generations are far more Liberal than Boomer and Xers ever were.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
I would swap my house for anyone's youth. We bought our house for 127k in 1994. Our combined income was about 45500. Our house is now worth 400000 and our combined income is around 155000. I wouldn't finance my house currently.
View Quote

Anyone’s youth?   As in anyone?

Originally Posted By Waldo:

How many thousands of times have you heard "your home is not an investment?
View Quote

Literally never heard that.  Not even once.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By redfish86:

The government caused homes to increase in value?

Hasn’t real estate historically done that all on its own?
View Quote

Yes.  I can think of several ways:

-interest rates which increase monthly mortgages and of course the ultimate total paid.

-interest rates causing less flux in the market which increases price due to scarcity.

-various real estate transaction taxes which deter people from right-sizing their homes. Or, say, moving from job rich areas to retirement areas.

-building permit fees.  Many localities require exorbitant "buy-in" fees for routine connections to utilities, school districts, and even transit related fees.

-zoning restrictions which cause scarcity.

-high taxes in general.

-excessive building code requirements such as energy consumption mandates or surface water management.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Bought my home in 2014 at age 31 for $250k.

I’m now 41 and it’s worth over $500k easily.

Probably couldn’t buy it today.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#21]
$325k 11 years ago, $775k now

Nope
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Hell no I couldn’t.  7.5%?  Huge property tax increase.
My payment would be 2x or more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Sharkman74:
supply and demand

there is only so much land in the  cool hip parts of town that millennials and zillenials want to love in.   Also housing demand was REDUCED after the Great Recession so inventory was lower in 2020 when all MILLENIALS SUDDENLY Wanted to buy.
View Quote

There's still rural property but most people don't want to live rural . There was a thread a few days ago about wanting rural but still close to jobs .

Sometimes that's just not possible because a lot of those places have high home prices . Long commutes do suck though

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#24]
F the boomers.
View Quote

lol...f the renters.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Whats wrong is that while investments and value has gone up, income has not.

https://imgs.search.brave.com/PS0nw6YL-fxbP50qnpfMq7VVwPob-2aUX-J88Xsb2Yk/rs:fit:860:0:0/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly93b2xm/c3RyZWV0LmNvbS93/cC1jb250ZW50L3Vw/bG9hZHMvMjAxOS8w/Ny9VUy1pbmNvbWUt/di1ob3VzaW5nLTIt/d2VzdC0ucG5n

https://posts.voronoiapp.com/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.voronoiapp.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fa7cf7d8e-3864-4f51-8b39-f4c8b2d478e1.jpeg&w=1920&q=75

GOTDAM MILLENNIALS
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ulster:

lol...f the renters.

https://i.postimg.cc/bvRhJCVn/fixed-income.jpg
View Quote

F the hippy generation (boomers) that sent this country into a tailspin and has effectively ruined it, stealing wealth and opportunity from younger generations and consistently holding the attitude of "tug your bootstraps, toughen up".

60 years ago, almost to the day, was the beginning of the downward slide in America. Only one generation to blame for that, eh? I wasn't there, I can't do anything about the past, but because I'm reaping the rewards for that generations poor behavior, I should just "toughen up", huh?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

GOTDAM MILLENNIALS
View Quote

YEH ITS THEIR FAULT

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dan1918A2:
Bought my home in 2014 at age 31 for $250k.

I’m now 41 and it’s worth over $500k easily.

Probably couldn’t buy it today.
View Quote

Bought mine at 26 with 11.125% interest for $59,950 (I think).  Now worth about the average King County house, $800k.  My parents bought theirs for $23,500 and sold last year for $925,000.

It's obscene. Are we going to say F the greatest,  F the silent?

Open the zoning, eliminate the new development fees, cut the building codes, cut taxes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#29]
If your home is not paid off or you missed 2% interest it will much harder to purchase a home.

My home is paid for and has almost doubled in value.

It would be much harder to purchase it back with today’s interest rates and prices.

Happy boomer here. Lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

$125,000 30 years ago(1994) adjusted for inflation is $263,000    Not $375,000.

My wife and I bought a house 25 years ago.  We were just able to afford it with 5% down and had to pay PMI for several years.  Our local realestate price went thru the roof a few years after we bought(like almost double) and have remained high.   If we had waited until we could swing 20% we would have been fucked.   Paid the house off early and have poured the money into investments.  We are in our late fifties and don't need to work.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Respect your elders, work harder, and make sure you pay your SS.

Stop being so lazy.

And pickup that can.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#32]

F the hippy generation (boomers) that sent this country into a tailspin and has effectively ruined it, stealing wealth and opportunity from younger generations and consistently holding the attitude of "tug your bootstraps, toughen up".

60 years ago, almost to the day, was the beginning of the downward slide in America. Only one generation to blame for that, eh? I wasn't there, I can't do anything about the past, but because I'm reaping the rewards for that generations poor behavior, I should just "toughen up", huh?
View Quote

yes....it's not going to get easier.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:

I am assuming you are saying this for comedic effect.

The truth is: FUCK all Liberals from all generations.  FUCK them in every orifice with a rusty barb wire coated cactus. Fuck them to death and may they rot in hell for eternity for their ignorance and evil.  

The reason all the bad things are accelerating is because the latest generations are far more Liberal than Boomer and Xers ever were.
View Quote

In my opinion, it’s fuck the progressives.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I don’t throw it all on the boomers, though I think their generation plays a bigger role than many of them are willing to admit. March 4, 1913 is when this country started to slide. May Woodrow Wilson rot in hell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#35]
F the boomers.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Hasn't real estate historically done that all on its own?
View Quote
COVID stimulus and continued low interest rates caused a lot of people to get while the gettin' was good, driving up home prices. And inflation. Then the Fed spiking interest rates to deal with the inflation caused mortgage rates to spoke as well, causing a double whammy - the combined higher home values plus increased interest costs have put payments on mortgages out of reach.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#37]
House prices go up, my grandma paid $1500 for her house in 1955, my mom paid $15000 in 1972, can you see the pattern?

I could not afford a house in 1998 so I bought 2 acres cleared and septic and well and  sold it, then bought a clearcut
20 acres and lived in my truck for two years while I built my cabin.
I have since bought and sold one house and bought another.
If you can't get their directly, go around.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#38]

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnMbzn3Y/gamer-life.jpg
View Quote

No shit. I'm fine, like I said earlier. But the boomer generalized attitude of "f the younger generations" is beyond obnoxious.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#39]

No shit. I'm fine, like I said earlier. But the boomer generalized attitude of "f the younger generations" is beyond obnoxious.
View All Quotes

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnMbzn3Y/gamer-life.jpg

guess you missed my first quote huh?  Not surprising, people see what they want to see.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Ok. What a brilliant article.

That's why you buy what you can afford when you can afford it. Buying a house when you have an income planned for an extended time versus after you've been spending down your retirement savings for an extended amount of time...might be a little difference what you'd afford.

Also, most people own more than one home during their working life, using the equity they've gained in their current house, plus increased income levels, to step up in their house value. That's part of the equation that resulted in a large percentage of old people being in valuable newer houses now. Others buy once and maintain and add on and pay it off over a few decades and let the gains of time do their thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
F the boomers.

The government created and continues to create inflation which is the root cause of all things "costing more money".

That house doesn't "cost" appreciably more now than it did then, you're money is worth a tiny fraction of what it was and that is 100% the sole product of the government. They print and distribute he money, nobody else.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Brutus_15:
What if they stopped going to Starbucks and eating avocado toast?
View Quote

This. They have more adult toys than ever before and on credit no less. Remember when some people owned new Cadillacs but lived in trashed-out homes? It is all about misplaced values.

Lucky me, I hate avocados. Looks like green baby shit and tastes like it looks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#43]
If they increased the social security withholding tax  just on young workers   that could raise   boomers social security checks
so they could afford to buy the same home at todays prices .

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#44]

guess you missed my first quote huh?  Not surprising, people see what they want to see.
View Quote

I saw that one, and I disagree with its sentiment. I also disagree with the f the renter sentiment. See how I can believe what I see with my own eyes, and disagree with generational hatred at the same time?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:26:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#45]
Originally Posted By piciphant:
House prices go up, my grandma paid $1500 for her house in 1955, my mom paid $15000 in 1972, can you see the pattern?

I could not afford a house in 1998 so I bought 2 acres cleared and septic and well and  sold it, then bought a clearcut
20 acres and lived in my truck for two years while I built my cabin.
I have since bought and sold one house and bought another.
If you can't get their directly, go around.
View Quote

Going from clearcut 20 acres to a cabin, with a guy and a truck, is way way more difficult to navigate now than in 1972 or 1955 when if you needed any permit at all it was basically a declaration on a map with a square on it along with some estimated values.

Starting in the ~70s anywhere experiencing booms the county development office got captured by developers and their consumers who lobbied for zoning and code ordinances that made guy and his truck weak competition and/or locked in their properties as cheaper to build than anyone that comes after them.  It's gotten to the point where the guy and his truck is pushed to extreme fringes or a couple of fairly libertarian hold out counties -- a very small fraction of the country.  And even in rural areas I've found a large portion of properties have been poisoned by essentially irrevocable CC&Rs boomers injected into the titles which in many case ban starter homes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DDalton:
Ok. What a brilliant article.

That's why you buy what you can afford when you can afford it. Buying a house when you have an income planned for an extended time versus after you've been spending down your retirement savings for an extended amount of time...might be a little difference what you'd afford.

Also, most people own more than one home during their working life, using the equity they've gained in their current house, plus increased income levels, to step up in their house value. That's part of the equation that resulted in a large percentage of old people being in valuable newer houses now. Others buy once and maintain and add on and pay it off over a few decades and let the gains of time do their thing.
View Quote

Bingo.

Stupid article and just creating class warfare and more "woe is me" for the younger generations to generate unrest, to embrace the concept of a great reset.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I bought my house at the very start of 2020.  I got it just in time before prices exploded.  Then I locked in a 30yr mortgage below 3%.  No way in hell I could buy it now at current prices and rates.  Not even close.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#48]
The news is always talking about the need for more housing in Seattle, if it wasn't for all the illegals maybe there would be enough.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#49]

I saw that one, and I disagree with its sentiment. I also disagree with the f the renter sentiment. See how I can believe what I see with my own eyes, and disagree with generational hatred at the same time?
View All Quotes

Really?  Not seeing it...

F the hippy generation (boomers)

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#50]

60 years ago, almost to the day, was the beginning of the downward slide in America.
View Quote

The oldest boomer was 18.
The youngest wasn't born yet.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top