Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:30:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piciphant] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By miseses:

Going from clearcut 20 acres to a cabin, with a guy and a truck, is way way more difficult to navigate now than in 1972 or 1955 when if you needed any permit at all it was basically a declaration on a map with a square on it along with some estimated values.

Starting in the ~70s anywhere experiencing booms the county development office got captured by developers and their consumers who lobbied for zoning and code ordinances that made guy and his truck weak competition and/or locked in their properties as cheaper to build than anyone that comes after them.  It's gotten to the point where the guy and his truck is pushed to extreme fringes or a couple of fairly libertarian hold out counties -- a very small fraction of the country.  And even in rural areas I've found a large portion of properties have been poisoned by essentially irrevocable CC&Rs boomers injected into the titles which in many case ban starter homes.
View Quote

Yes that's true I had to move way out to the sticks.

eta, And I'm glad I did, but the city is moving in, I plan on selling soon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been a home owner for 45 years, I would never been able to buy a house if not for being able to use the GI bill to get started.  I think the boomers were busy earning a living while millenniums have been  spending their time going to school and earning degrees for jobs that don't exist anymore or pay less than tech school grads.
But if the tax payers will pay their student loans for them we might well pay their mortgages too.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Going from clearcut 20 acres to a cabin, with a guy and a truck, is way way more difficult to navigate now than in 1972 or 1955.

Starting in the ~70s anywhere experiencing booms the county development office got captured by developers and their consumers who lobbied for zoning and code ordinances that made guy and his truck weak competition and/or locked in their properties as cheaper to build than anyone that comes after them.  It's gotten to the point where the guy and his truck is pushed to extreme fringes or a couple of fairly libertarian hold out counties -- a very small fraction of the country.
View Quote

If I needed to drill a new well on my property, built in the 90's, my permit application would be denied, zero chance of getting a permit now.

When my septic system failed in 2020, I was told I would have to replace it with new stuff that is up to code. And pull a new permit for the install because it would change the tank design and field design. The price was staggering, and the contractor told me a new permit in this area would be 50/50 approve/deny, at best. So I crawled into the tank and replaced the pump myself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:32:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TriggerM] [#4]
Not a boomer. But we definitely could not afford our house on our current income. I love when boomers get blamed. Obama destroyed the housing industry, not boomers. Just prior to him taking office the housing industry was wide open. Houses, and building materials were affordable.  So bklame Obama. I will say this. When Mrs Trigger and myself bought our 1st house in 1990, for 46k, our budget was tight. Never ate out. We spent virtually nothing that wasn't 100% necessary for probably 3 or 4 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:33:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: south303] [#5]
Age 60

Got  divorced and bought a home in 2013 .

Paid 106 thousand ( was a dump with some property)

Now worth 300 thousand.

No way I could afford to live here now.

My Morgage is around 650 a month.

Girl friend pays the electric and water.

Happy with the set up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By piciphant:
The news is always talking about the need for more housing in Seattle, if it wasn't for all the illegals maybe there would be enough.
View Quote

Dude a developer  built a new condo complex in a nice town in Maine and the residents there thought it was being built
for purchase . The town board made the decision with no vote or anything on it  assisted  by government money  put up illegals in the entire complex and  told them they could live there
rent free for 2 years  . These are  Brand new buildings  ...not kidding and the residents are fucking outraged in the town .
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:37:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#7]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

YEH ITS THEIR FAULT

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

GOTDAM MILLENNIALS

YEH ITS THEIR FAULT

I just appreciate that on the bottom chart, it explicitly calls out millennials wanting to own homes as being part of the problem. THE AUDACITY OF THEM.

Silly kids, homes are for boomers!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:37:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Drsalee] [#8]
I own a bunch of shit, all purchased 20-30 years ago………..no way could I afford it now.  However, I sweated out the payments EVERY month, it was no picnic.  I thought things were expensive, but I paid the fee, hunkered down and made the payments.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]

If I needed to drill a new well on my property, built in the 90's, my permit application would be denied, zero chance of getting a permit now.

When my septic system failed in 2020, I was told I would have to replace it with new stuff that is up to code. And pull a new permit for the install because it would change the tank design and field design. The price was staggering, and the contractor told me a new permit in this area would be 50/50 approve/deny, at best. So I crawled into the tank and replaced the pump myself.
View Quote

In the last 25 years sewer and city water has developed, there are also several housing developments with $1m houses on postage stamp lots, when I sell they will put many house in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Current estimate for my parent's house is $375,000.  Adjust what they paid for it years ago for inflation, it would cost $160,000.

It's a three bedroom, unfinished basement in a comfortable suburb, good schools, solid middle class.

It's now over twice what they paid for it when adjusted for inflation.  I could get to the 3X mark with some simple modern updates.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 8nbait:

$125,000 30 years ago(1994) adjusted for inflation is $263,000    Not $375,000.

My wife and I bought a house 25 years ago.  We were just able to afford it with 5% down and had to pay PMI for several years.  Our local realestate price went thru the roof a few years after we bought(like almost double) and have remained high.   If we had waited until we could swing 20% we would have been fucked.   Paid the house off early and have poured the money into investments.  We are in our late fifties and don't need to work.

View Quote

I would question who's inflation numbers you are using?  One based on a realistic purchasing power of the US dollar, or the one announced by the government which happens to exclude several important categories of expenses.  The number you gave (while it may the official number) is nowhere near reality, and for you to claim otherwise is simply dishonest.  What other falsehoods do you choose to believe simply because of the government entity that uttered them?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]
So much stupidity and envy.

Most people are too stupid to realize that if you had to finance your home through a lender, you couldn't afford it.  Even boomers didn't buy their homes with cash, they financed them through a lender.  Easy credit is why housing prices run up like they do.  That's why location, location, location, is a thing.  Houses don't cost more to build in affluent areas, it's just that people will pay more for them.  They pay the extra because a lender will loan them the additional money.

Milli's and Gen Xers grew up getting participation trophies, so they think they are entitled to something they didn't earn.  They certainly aren't going to wait until they can afford a house to buy one.  At least those who aren't living in their parents basement.  Lenders know they can run the rates up and those idiots will pay it.  But you can always buy points:  slaps knee

When nobody is buying, prices go down.  If credit isn't available, nobody is buying.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By towgunner11H:
If you can't see that the "Great Reset" globalist push is behind this, and that it's all deliberate, you are a moron. Just keep hollering " boomers did this" or "millenials did this" while these fucking globohomos sit back and laugh. Some day a real rain will come....
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#14]
In the old days, one built or bought a home and most likely lived in it for life. When they planted their roots they planted deep, not shallow. My family has lived in the same small town since 1800. Try that today. Yes, the homes cost less but they also earned less. They were more likely to add on to their home than build a new one. only after WWII did Americans become more mobile.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

I often wonder if we continue on the path we are on if we will see Generational Mortgages become a thing in the US.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Originally Posted By Brutus_15:
What if they stopped going to Starbucks and eating avocado toast?
My daughter is 28 and lives a very frugal life. She doesn't make a lot for the Northern VA area, yet she's still managed to save up almost 40k. But housing prices around here are simply out of reach. As it is she splits an apartment with a roommate and still spends 40% of her take-home on housing. Yes, she's looking for another job, but she could bump her salary by 50% and still be priced out of the market.

I often wonder if we continue on the path we are on if we will see Generational Mortgages become a thing in the US.

No, those homes will ultimately go overseas.  It's the last remaining wealth from the middle class to go overseas, so that's here it will go one way or another.

I suspect it will be a foreign owned reverse mortgage bank type situation.

Millennial can't afford to buy a boomer home, and boomers will refuse to let the prices drop, so it will simply go to the rest of the world.

The goal of destroying the middle class will be complete at that point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

I just appreciate that on the bottom chart, it explicitly calls out millennials wanting to own homes as being part of the problem. THE AUDACITY OF THEM.

Silly kids, homes are for boomers!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
Half of baby boomers or more are retired. Maybe I am crazy but isn’t it typically accepted that you buy a home when you have the most income?
View Quote

Yes, but a lot of people on here don't realize that they are going to get old one day. Plus most are millionaires and always make sound finacial decision.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By madwis15:
No way could I afford to buy my house for what it's worth today. It's quadrupled in value in the 30 years I've owned it. My pay has not kept up.

I feel bad for the new generation of renters. They will end up with the government and situation they voted for.
View Quote

More like they will vote for government handouts because of the situation they were put in.

This has been 40 years in the making, supported by boomers on both sides of the isle at every turning point.

This is a serious issue that is affecting near middle aged people, we are not talking about 18 year olds here. We are talking about 30-40 year olds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:47:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#19]
Originally Posted By Dano556x45mm:
F the boomers.
View Quote

Look!  A special one!  A real tenderfoot!  Who only communicates in 3 word sentences and one of the words has to have only one letter!  How special!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#20]

I’m in a very similar boat, and so are a lot of my peers. It’s a little demoralizing, did everything right, saved, and now I’ve pretty much given up and will play the wait and see game over the next few years.
View All Quotes
My daughter is 28 and lives a very frugal life. She doesn't make a lot for the Northern VA area, yet she's still managed to save up almost 40k. But housing prices around here are simply out of reach. As it is she splits an apartment with a roommate and still spends 40% of her take-home on housing. Yes, she's looking for another job, but she could bump her salary by 50% and still be priced out of the market.

I’m in a very similar boat, and so are a lot of my peers. It’s a little demoralizing, did everything right, saved, and now I’ve pretty much given up and will play the wait and see game over the next few years.

same boat for me.

for single people its impossible, the break through is if you are able to find someone to marry that is also financially responsible and has a good job. Then you can get a starter home.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:50:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JeepersCreepers] [#21]
View All Quotes
What if they stopped going to Starbucks and eating avocado toast?

Problem is people in their 20s don't want a true "starter house" anymore

They want the McMansions they've grown up seeing on Pinterest and Instagram

I guarantee she could buy a house today, it just wouldn't be the one she wants

They cry about boomers "pricing them out of the market" because they can't have this RIGHT NOW

They ignore the fact that most boomers worked 50 years to afford this, and lived in some shitboxes along the way

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Tim Dillon on Economic Migration and the Real Estate Market

Skip to 11min
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#23]
My mortgage would go up by $2800/month based on current value and interest rates.  I'd have to relocate to a lower COL county for sure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PDP_Main:
So much stupidity and envy.

Most people are too stupid to realize that if you had to finance your home through a lender, you couldn't afford it.  Even boomers didn't buy their homes with cash, they financed them through a lender.  Easy credit is why housing prices run up like they do.  That's why location, location, location, is a thing.  Houses don't cost more to build in affluent areas, it's just that people will pay more for them.  They pay the extra because a lender will loan them the additional money.

Milli's and Gen Xers grew up getting participation trophies, so they think they are entitled to something they didn't earn.  They certainly aren't going to wait until they can afford a house to buy one.  At least those who aren't living in their parents basement.  Lenders know they can run the rates up and those idiots will pay it.  But you can always buy points:  slaps knee

When nobody is buying, prices go down.  If credit isn't available, nobody is buying.
View Quote

Which generation started the idea of “participation trophies”?

Hint: It wasn’t Xers and Millennials.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#25]
F the boomers.
View Quote

Go be poor some where else
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ScopeScar:

Yes.  I can think of several ways:

-interest rates which increase monthly mortgages and of course the ultimate total paid.

-interest rates causing less flux in the market which increases price due to scarcity.

-various real estate transaction taxes which deter people from right-sizing their homes. Or, say, moving from job rich areas to retirement areas.

-building permit fees.  Many localities require exorbitant "buy-in" fees for routine connections to utilities, school districts, and even transit related fees.

-zoning restrictions which cause scarcity.

-high taxes in general.

-excessive building code requirements such as energy consumption mandates or surface water management.

View Quote

Lol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
Half of baby boomers or more are retired. Maybe I am crazy but isn't it typically accepted that you buy a home when you have the most income?
View Quote
Truth.   But sensational clickbait makes the smoothbrains think this is somehow relevant.  

As long as boomers can afford food and healthcare, they will be OK.  They aren't shopping for real estate, unless it is a condo in Florida at this point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Blaming a generation for just living our lives  because another generation can't afford housing is just what the leftist in this country are salivating over.

They started with Black vs. White. Then gay vs straight. Old vs young. Etc etc etc.

I can't help but think this is a deliberate attempt by leftists on ARFCOM are doing it purposely to bring this board down.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#29]
F the boomers.
View Quote

Pfft.
Renter.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#30]

No shit. I'm fine, like I said earlier. But the boomer generalized attitude of "f the younger generations" is beyond obnoxious.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ulster:

yes....it's not going to get easier.  

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnMbzn3Y/gamer-life.jpg

No shit. I'm fine, like I said earlier. But the boomer generalized attitude of "f the younger generations" is beyond obnoxious.
Omgoodness what a crock of shit. We are way way more compassionate than previous generations. The reason why you're a whiny bitch is because we were too compassionate. My parents told us from an early age that they expected us out of the house at 18. Your marriage has trouble? Don't become a burden on me and your mother. I remember an article back in the late 80's in the newspaper that talked about how the current generation wanted what their parents had now. Things are no different. If you want something bad enough you find a way-if you don't-you find excuses.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

The government created and continues to create inflation which is the root cause of all things "costing more money".

That house doesn't "cost" appreciably more now than it did then, you're money is worth a tiny fraction of what it was and that is 100% the sole product of the government. They print and distribute he money, nobody else.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
Originally Posted By redfish86:
F the boomers.

F the government that caused this.

The government caused homes to increase in value?

Hasn’t real estate historically done that all on its own?

The government created and continues to create inflation which is the root cause of all things "costing more money".

That house doesn't "cost" appreciably more now than it did then, you're money is worth a tiny fraction of what it was and that is 100% the sole product of the government. They print and distribute he money, nobody else.

Lol

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/historical-inflation-rates/
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ab/53/4a/ab534ae6fe085f1b3ad29e30c650022e.jpg
View Quote

Bullshit, there’s no starter home in my area that wouldn’t increase my housing costs 50% before utilities. One of my friends just bought a home, 347k for a manufactured home. Costs him ~$2500 a month for the mortgage alone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Yes.  Interest rates pinned near 0 lowered the cost of borrowing.  This created an arms race to secure these mortgages at 0%, with ever increasing bids.  Then 30 year mortgages locked in these rates.  

Then the fed reverse, creating a sort of ratcheting effect.  No one wants to give up the negative real rate mortgage, asr opportunity cost of selling is high.  You would have to compensate them for their loss -- only now you must compensate verse a high interest rate.  At the same time, no one wants to buy because interest rates and cost of borrowing are now high.  The result -- low home sales and a bifurcation of the market.  The housing supply is gone, and will be for a decade+.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redfish86:
F the boomers.

F the government that caused this.

The government caused homes to increase in value?

Hasn’t real estate historically done that all on its own?

Yes.  Interest rates pinned near 0 lowered the cost of borrowing.  This created an arms race to secure these mortgages at 0%, with ever increasing bids.  Then 30 year mortgages locked in these rates.  

Then the fed reverse, creating a sort of ratcheting effect.  No one wants to give up the negative real rate mortgage, asr opportunity cost of selling is high.  You would have to compensate them for their loss -- only now you must compensate verse a high interest rate.  At the same time, no one wants to buy because interest rates and cost of borrowing are now high.  The result -- low home sales and a bifurcation of the market.  The housing supply is gone, and will be for a decade+.

Not to mention unchecked immigration further leveraging against existing housing (rental and sales)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ab/53/4a/ab534ae6fe085f1b3ad29e30c650022e.jpg
View Quote

That is true not too many kids want starter homes now.

You go on Zillow and there's tons of starter homes in Northern Virginia for under 200 K

Many nice ones but small in the 160 to 170 K range

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

If she has a portable skill set, or remote job. Northern Maine is CHEAP, good people, lots of hunting and fishing. very few liberals. For 120k and you can have a livable place. Plus if she is cute, she can have me around to show here where to eat on Friday nights.

Seriously, hell at 80K a mortgage is VERY affordable even at 6%.

Here is one now.  $114k for hardwood floors, 5 bedroom, 2 bath, on half acre .

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/63-Franklin-Ave-Houlton-ME-04730/122995006_zpid/?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:
I bought my home in 2020 and wouldn't be able to afford it today because rates have doubled
View Quote

I retired in 2016 and bought a 240-acre ranch for $485,000. My son and I put down $100,000. A week later we were offered $150,000 more. We turned it down. Now 8 years later, it has doubled in value. Still not selling. The couple who bought our 5-acre home in MI owned it for a year and sold it for $100,000 more. They never even moved in.

Buying and selling a home is not magic. I  bought my first home when I was 27. It was hard work and lots of sacrifice to save up for it. I was making $21,000 at the time. I retired making 3X that. You need to be patient and do your homework. Set your priorities and goals then work them. We spent two years looking for the ranch we ultimately bought. We waited for the right time too and got 2.75% interest. I remember when interest was 14%. It will come down in time. Will you be ready?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#37]
GenX, and couldn't afford mine either.

Bought for $364K, current market value around $750-800K

Is it somehow bad that someone bought something that appreciated so much they could no longer afford to buy it at its current value?

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

How many thousands of times have you heard "your home is not an investment"?

Turns out, maybe it was.
View Quote

Yep, an investment you get to live in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

Is it somehow bad that someone bought something that appreciated so much they could no longer afford to buy it at its current value?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/christian-bale-confused-face-x8olip1hb9h-966.gif
View Quote

WE MUST BE OUTRAGED ABOUT SOMETHING!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Prices have not gone up.  Our home cost 6 Honda Accords when we bought it.  Today it is valued at 6 Honda Accords.

The Dollar US has been devalued.  It takes far more Biden dollars to buy our home than it did Reagan dollars.  Biden dollars are worth far less than Reagan dollars.

Devaluation of the dollar was done with criminal intent.  It was done for the profit of those few who paid for it to happen.  Those few who are able to bribe the political industry to get what they want.

Again: prices have not gone up, the dollar has gone down.  Currency does not have constant value, it is easily manipulated for the profit of those who pay to manipulate the currency.  

"When Big John drinks, everybody drinks.  When Big John pays, everybody pays."

When the US devalues the dollar, almost all currencies in the world are devalued.  Devaluation earns bribe profit for politicians worldwide.  

Remember the goal of the political Left: redistribution of wealth from the many to the few.  That is how Communism, Fascism, Socialism, Green, ect. work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Klaatu_barada_nikto:
I've been a home owner for 45 years, I would never been able to buy a house if not for being able to use the GI bill to get started.  I think the boomers were busy earning a living while millenniums have been  spending their time going to school and earning degrees for jobs that don't exist anymore or pay less than tech school grads.
But if the tax payers will pay their student loans for them we might well pay their mortgages too.

View Quote

Right here. The whiners will always whine. For some reason, they think buying high and selling low is a winning formula. Since when? Can't buy now? So what? Now is the time to save up a nest egg, not spend like there is no tomorrow. Opportunities pass you by because you were not ready. Who's fault is that? Keep debt low to zero, save, save, save. Fuck the toys.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

If she has a portable skill set, or remote job. Northern Maine is CHEAP, good people, lots of hunting and fishing. very few liberals. For 120k and you can have a livable place. Plus if she is cute, she can have me around to show here where to eat on Friday nights.

Seriously, hell at 80K a mortgage is VERY affordable even at 6%.

Here is one now.  $114k for hardwood floors, 5 bedroom, 2 bath, on half acre .

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/63-Franklin-Ave-Houlton-ME-04730/122995006_zpid/?
View Quote

The Northwoods is one of the last hold outs on crazy prices but that's about it really   . Lower Maine has caught up to the crazy home prices
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/christian-bale-confused-face-x8olip1hb9h-966.gif
View Quote

No. But it’s a slap in the face to the people like me when we get told the reason we can’t buy a home is because we’re lazy or because we buy “avocado toast, iPhones, and Starbucks”. Couldn’t tell ya the last time I bought any of that shit, but boomers maintain that I buy it all the time.

Point I’m hitting at is plenty of us work hard and due to factors we can’t control, we’re priced out of homeownership currently.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm a millennial and I would struggle to afford my house if I bought now.

$3k a month for 30 years compared to $1800 a month for 15 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

So who says you must drill in Colorado?  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm 65 and I remember my parents buying a house when I was 10yrs old (parents were in their mid 30s) and they paid $9000 for it and to them it was a lot money.
When I 32yrs old I bought my first house for $35000, to me it was a lot of money and to my parents it would have been unreachable when they were my age. Same with the second house I bought for $77000 when I was 40.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Omgoodness what a crock of shit. We are way way more compassionate than previous generations. The reason why you're a whiny bitch is because we were too compassionate. My parents told us from an early age that they expected us out of the house at 18. Your marriage has trouble? Don't become a burden on me and your mother. I remember an article back in the late 80's in the newspaper that talked about how the current generation wanted what their parents had now. Things are no different. If you want something bad enough you find a way-if you don't-you find excuses.
View Quote

Oh is that same compassion why my entire paycheck is taxed at 12.4% for Social Security, as opposed to only $8000 worth of a paycheck taxed at 8% in the 70's?

I was kicked out at 18. I have received no financial help from my parents, nor do I want any. I have made my way my whole entire life and I am grateful for what I have, and I am proud of my family and love my kids.

The government fucking me out of half my earnings is what I am a "whiny bitch" about.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TriggerM:
Not a boomer. But we definitely could not afford our house on our current income. I love when boomers get blamed. Obama destroyed the housing industry, not boomers. Just prior to him taking office the housing industry was wide open. Houses, and building materials were affordable.  So bklame Obama. I will say this. When Mrs Trigger and myself bought our 1st house in 1990, for 46k, our budget was tight. Never ate out. We spent virtually nothing that wasn't 100% necessary for probably 3 or 4 years.
View Quote

And you achieved your dream. Congratulations. That is how it's done.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#49]
No way we could sell our home for what it is TRULY worth. We paid cash for it as it was being built in 2009-10. Moved in the day we sold our company and retired literally that day. We don't WANT to sell but we know the day is coming. I can't imagine having a payment at 9% on this deal. We'll need a very special and well monied buyer for sure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 73RR:
I can't help but think this is a deliberate attempt by leftists on ARFCOM are doing it purposely to bring this board down.
View Quote

Standard marxist divide-n-conquer. A lot of the phraseology is direct from the race-hustling industry blaming boomers instead of white  people. "just admit your crimes", "you set us up to fail", "you stacked the deck against us", etc.

There's also a shit-ton of crowd followers and just plain screeching retards.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top