Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HDLS:

Mine was like 14 accords and now it’s about 27 accords.

View Quote

My house has increased 1 Honda accord since I bought it last fall….
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]
As I have noted many times, I am an X-er born in the 60s.

My first apartment was 800 bucks in today’s dollars.  They are now $1800-$2400 apartments.
My first home was about 350K in today’s dollars.  It’s now an 800K home.
My nice home was about 480K in today’s dollars.  It’s also now an 800K home.
My last home was about 1M in today’s dollars.  And would sell for 1.5 to 2M based on some unsolicited offers.

At any stage of my life now, I could not currently have the same type of housing and other concurrent benefits of life that I was able to have then.

I would not have had a nice, safe, no crime apartment with a great location.
I would not have had a starter home in a no crime area with fantastic schools, parks, natural/recreational access, and a reasonable commute.
My kids would not have grown up in a nice, safe area with huge yard and lake and decent public schools also reasonable from work.
I would not have my little gentleman’s farm and set up, etc.

Many people refuse to be cognizant of this.
And belittle people for not achieving/having what they did at their age.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cmikul:
Its not so much i couldn't afford it as i would just never pay the current market value for my home. Its insane how much the value has increased.  

if i was going to spend that much i would move elsewhere and not buy this one.
View Quote

Yes, and exactly what I would do (move elsewhere) if I did not have family to consider.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Dollars are devalued / less buying power.

Borrowing money taxpayers have to pay or printing money and giving it away has consequences.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

My first apartment was 800 bucks in today’s dollars.  They are now $1800-$2400 apartments.
My first home was about 350K in today’s dollars.  It’s now an 800K home.
My nice home was about 480K in today’s dollars.  It’s also now an 800K home.
My last home was about 1M in today’s dollars.  And would sell for 1.5 to 2M based on some unsolicited offers.

At any stage of my life now, I could not currently have the same type of housing and other concurrent benefits of life that I was able to have then.

I would not have had a starter home in a no crime area with fantastic schools, parks, natural/recreational access, and a reasonable commute.
My kids would not have grown up in a nice, safe area with huge yard and lake and decent public schools also reasonable from work.
I would not have my little gentleman’s farm and set up, etc.

View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, we have a SEVERE housing shortage which drives prices up.  Exacerbated by government policies and subsidies on many levels ..one is mortgage interest write-off.

it's not a GOOD thing to have your wealth tied up in a home but it's better than having no wealth or worse, a home DECLINING in value due to general decay.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

I often wonder if we continue on the path we are on if we will see Generational Mortgages become a thing in the US.
View Quote

I guess if parents put their home in a trust the trust as owner whould make the payments and own the house after being paid off. Kids , grandkids all beneficiaries.  Of course who gets to live in house
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Boomers are also mostly retired.  As a whole they pretty much already paid for their expensive stuff.

There is no reason why they should arbitrarily have to rebuy their most expensive belonging just because some younger person wants to stroke their generational angst.  They probably couldn't afford to pay for their 2.5 kids worth of college a second time either.  

In this thread we find out who hates people older than them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Before Covid I bought a house in 2019 for 570k. In August of last year I sold that same house in the city for enough to pay off the mortgage and pay cash for a slightly bigger, nicer and newer 450k house out in the suburbs. I couldn’t imagine having buy a home right now and have no plans of moving anytime soon as I enjoy not having a mortgage payment. I really feel bad for people that have to buy right now, especially young couples that are first time home buyers that have no equity to use from a different house.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DubyaB:

I guess if parents put their home in a trust the trust as owner whould make the payments and own the house after being paid off. Kids , grandkids all beneficiaries.  Of course who gets to live in house
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DubyaB:
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

I often wonder if we continue on the path we are on if we will see Generational Mortgages become a thing in the US.

Japan now has 100 year mortgages.  Give it a while, we’ll get there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 73RR:
Oh look another boomer hate thread.

How about hate the politicians who engineered this shitstorm. Who engineered the whole COVID bullshit who spend all our money. And allow us to be invaded.

But lets blame your fellow citizen and take the spotlight off the politicians who are happy to see us fight each other.

View Quote
I cannot figure how anyone moves forward in life by blaming others period.  Blaming policies or government corruption or mis-management is only a start.  Reform is difficult work
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
We are lucky enough we could with no issues. I bought my house when just dating the now wife.

My pay has gone up 65% in 5 years. Hers has gone up as well.

When I bought my house I did it with the price being what I could afford if she left. As we where only dating for a few months I did not want to depend on her income.  At current value and interest rate we would need her income
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

My first apartment was 800 bucks in today's dollars.  They are now $1800-$2400 apartments.
My first home was about 350K in today's dollars.  It's now an 800K home.
My nice home was about 480K in today's dollars.  It's also now an 800K home.
My last home was about 1M in today's dollars.  And would sell for 1.5 to 2M based on some unsolicited offers.

I would not have my little gentleman's farm and set up, etc.

View Quote

I'm just a bit younger than you, and none of what you said is representative my area.  It's a geographical/regional issue.  Some places have exploded like crazy.  Other places just haven't.

The upside of this is that my kids can afford to live nearby.  The downside is that my house hasn't quadrupled in value in the last 20 years.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The future probably looks something like those hunger game movies with their different districts.

Might not be the worst option. Just need more infrastructure. People working low wage jobs could live  way out in some low cost communities and high speed rail into the metro areas where there is actually work. Idk. The current path of home prices are unsustainable and will result in a permanent rental/serf class or .gov intervention and more projects being built with our tax dollars. There won’t be a bubble like 2008.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
More like 2-3 hours for the NVA area. She's been looking in West Virginia, Western MD, and Southern PA.
View Quote
Yeah it's tough to find anything within an hour of DC at this point. My buddy settled for renting up in Arlington (for now, I think he's considering moving back down to Norfolk), and it's not like him and his wife don't make good money, but good money is relative up there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

That sucks.  Sounds like locations like Front Royal and Leesburg are too expensive at this point.
View Quote
Leesburg is *serious* coin these days - all the NVA refugees wanting to escape the density and increasing crime of the close-in suburbs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ranging-by-zipcode] [#19]
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20229-Fishinfun-Rd-Willow-AK-99688/345092292_zpid/

10X16 cabin in the woods.   Will owner finance to qualified buyer.  No well or septic, property is unfinished.
$7,500

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:36:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#20]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20229-Fishinfun-Rd-Willow-AK-99688/345092292_zpid/

10X16 cabin in the woods.   Will owner finance to qualified buyer.  No well or septic, property is unfinished.
$7,500

View Quote

Me omw to convince my wife to move into a 169 sqft studio in AK with no running water cause it’s all we can afford.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:38:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#21]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Me omw to convince my wife to move into a 169 sqft studio in AK with no running water cause it’s all we can afford.
View All Quotes

$7,500

Some boomer will be along soon to tell you that their first home was worse, and you’re soft for complaining.

ETA: sarcasm
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Just tell her think of the adventure she will have

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

At least I’d finally have a reason to invest in some 44 magnum firearms. Something tells me 5.56 ain’t great against grizzly bears and moose.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
More bitching about how it’s SO HARD for young people today.

My parents’ home isn’t their first house. Or even their second. There was a long line of houses that were bought/sold before it, as their careers progressed.
View Quote

In other words they used the equity and what not to keep getting bigger homes

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#25]

View All Quotes

Which brings us to the other half of the problem.  "Family" (aka women's social justice) courts have been set up so that if you give up on the overpriced house and want to buy a place in alaska, the wife can just claim the children and 20% of your 'imputed' estimated income (the kind you can only really earn in some high-rent city, meaning it's functionally illegal to move to anywhere rural) 'for the good of the child' plus alimony, and some fucking asshole will come yank you out of your 160 sq ft cabin which is the only thing you could afford and instead toss you in a cage.  Of course these social justice courts also came to prominence at the election of the boomers.

Then she'll take ~30% of your pretax income, find a boyfriend, then use both your incomes and might be able to buy out a boomer's house.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#26]

I bet you're right
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ScopeScar:

F the government that caused this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dano556x45mm:
F the boomers.

F the government that caused this.
Who ran the government that caused this?
Who elected that government?

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#28]
Originally Posted By madwis15:
No way could I afford to buy my house for what it's worth today. It's quadrupled in value in the 30 years I've owned it. My pay has not kept up.

I feel bad for the new generation of renters. ...
View Quote

This.

Young married me could not afford the home we purchased 30 years ago - even with increases in wages.

The low low interest rates post 2008 were huge for institutional investors scooping up property left & right to turn to rentals. Which increases rents, it gets ever harder to save toward a purchase.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Kill the capital gains tax on home sales for 5-10 years.  That will get shit moving. I am not planning on selling until I move out of thee country.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Update: Wife said no because of bears. Guess we’ll rent forever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#31]

At least I’d finally have a reason to invest in some 44 magnum firearms. Something tells me 5.56 ain’t great against grizzly bears and moose.
View All Quotes

Just get yourself a .50 beo barrel and some mags.  It will probably be cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: von_landstuhl] [#33]
Gen-Xer here.  I bought my home in 1995 and wouldn't be able to afford it today because rates have doubled and the value of the home has tripled.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#34]

STOP being so goddamn MEDIAN

RISE above it all and make some money so this DOES NOT APPLY to you!!!

Whats STOPPING you?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
lol

Bless your heart.  

View Quote

Ok, now, I got banned from the covid forum for saying that...
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By miseses:
Before covid I was almost able to buy a house with cash.  Kept waiting thinking prices would drop.

After covid prices exploded so much I had to just buy raw land and build a tiny house myself for cost of materials, because literally everything was gone and what little wasn't was 3x the price it was before.

The fed really damned people with young expanding families by pinning interest rates near 0, guaranteeing an arms race to lock in all the housing for 30 years.  You simply can't compete with somebody who has a mortgage with negative real interest rates, they'll never sell for less than a kings ransom.  In effect they bifurcated the populace -- those who secured housing before or at the beginning of covid, and those who hadn't.  It will take at least a decade before the bifurcation starts to wane.
View Quote

Yep. I have to rent what I could have bought 5 years prior.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Sharkman74:

Whats STOPPING you?
View Quote

NFA stuff, mostly
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I bet housing wpuld be more affordable if there weren't 30 million extra people living in them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know if it is really couldn't, or wouldn't.
If I am paying $3,000 a month for a house payment
and you asked me if I would be willing to pay $5,000
a month for the same house of course I would say no.
Has very little to do with my ability to pay an extra $2,000
a month for a house. If I am paying more, I expect more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Dano556x45mm:
F the boomers.
View Quote
Shouldn't you be at work?

Jealousy is a terrible sin to bear.

Odd my 32yr old son with two homes doesn't hate Gen X or Boomers. He just served his country for five years, married a tall pretty blond, had two amazing kids and is working and happy.

Now hating Trump for printing that extra 2-3 trillion and giving it all away, yea I understand.

Does your life suck? And if so what have you done to change it? Other than blaming boomers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:14:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#41]

Whats STOPPING you?
View All Quotes

Whats STOPPING you?

Check out the big brain on Sharkman74. An entire thread discussing how the middle class is being priced out of home ownership, which is a big chuck of the foundation of the American dream, but he’s figured it out.  Everyone should just stop being middle class.  Be upper class instead.  See that was easy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By madwis15:
No way could I afford to buy my house for what it's worth today. It's quadrupled in value in the 30 years I've owned it. My pay has not kept up.

I feel bad for the new generation of renters. They will end up with the government and situation they voted for.
View Quote

What's really fucked is that your property taxes continue to rise.  People that could barely afford their home before likely can't now.  And because the gov says it's worth more, somehow I owe them more money???
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

Check out the big brain on Sharkman74. An entire thread discussing how the middle class is being priced out of home ownership, which is a big chuck of the foundation of the American dream, but he’s figured it out.  Everyone should just stop being middle class.  Be upper class instead.  See that was easy.
View Quote

Genius right there just solved the whole issue, how come we never thought of that?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
My daughter is 28 and lives a very frugal life. She doesn't make a lot for the Northern VA area, yet she's still managed to save up almost 40k. But housing prices around here are simply out of reach. As it is she splits an apartment with a roommate and still spends 40% of her take-home on housing. Yes, she's looking for another job, but she could bump her salary by 50% and still be priced out of the market.
View Quote

Yep. Daughter in PHX is in the same boat.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#45]

https://i.postimg.cc/jqwj2RCv/b9df423df76c24dedb9c3a9a3d1cb118-cc-ft-768.webp

$7,500

View Quote

That is tempting, but I am pretty sure I'm not hard enough to make it happen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I couldn’t afford the house I bought 8 years ago today.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mikepiet:

I saw an add on TV last night about assuming the mortgage of the home you want to buy. I think it might have been a realator.com ad but made me think, that would be something.
View Quote

What about the equity portion?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Why the lol?
View All Quotes

Why the lol?

Because interest rates have been higher than they are now, much higher.  And it was when “boomers” were buying their first houses.

Saying interest rates are why people can’t afford stuff now is laughable.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
There's no way I'd find another house for $77K like we did in 2005.  It's small, 1100sqft 1957 ranch, full basement, 2+ car garage on 1/2 acre, but it's enough for the 2 of us if we had about 12 yard sales.  
View Quote
My neighbor bought the house beside us for $65k two years ago.

He spent another year and $100k fixing it up and has no mortgage. So like my son he is 32, wife and two kids with one paid off home.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:

In other words they used the equity and what not to keep getting bigger homes

View Quote
Equity, time, workplace experience  you know.  Mostly things kids don't have much of.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top