BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

I do too. I'm actually a pretty positive guy all things considered.

I only come in threads like this to gangster party hotline post at boomers, because its kinda funny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

I literally just chose to.

I had hard work from a young age (farm kid) but many people had gloomy attitudes about the way the world was headed (think GD in real life).

I found out that you could choose what to think so I started choosing to think the way I wanted to think. I'm no billionaire like the rest of GD, but I'm definitely doing ok.

It is a fascinating subject, one that I've spent too much study on.

I do too. I'm actually a pretty positive guy all things considered.

I only come in threads like this to gangster party hotline post at boomers, because its kinda funny.

I don’t believe you.    

You do sound more intelligent and thoughtful, than your initial trolling comment indicated, and you Do make some good points.  

However, you’re waaaay more demoralized than you realize.  Focusing and dwelling on negativity, doesn’t hurt the boomers.  Their cake is already baked, for better or for worse.

It only hurts You and the younger generations.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw

gonna play this whilst watching president AOC sieze the b**mas' houses and 401ks to redistribute amongst the poors, the border jumpers, and/or the poor border jumpers.

way she fuckin' goes there, eh bois?

@eagarminuteman
View Quote

Scooter army rolling down Main Street is gonna be funny to watch on the news. Also gonna be great when they get stopped by the stairs up to the capitol building.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Scooter army rolling down Main Street is gonna be funny to watch on the news. Also gonna be great when they get stopped by the stairs up to the capitol building.
View Quote
*jazzy sooters running out of battery as the fedboi snipers take aim on da b**mas storming the capitol on their obesity slash handicapable scooters*

WHY WOOD MILLENNIALS DO THIS?

GODDAMN
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone remember 30 to 40 years ago when we were looking at what our government was doing and
bitching that they were selling our kids and grandkids down the river? I do.

Well, that future is now. And our response is "too bad, so sad"?
And it's only gotten magnitudes worse, and we look at the uncontrolled bureaucracies and spending today and say, "they're selling
out our kids and grandkids", just like last time.
The generation 30 - 40 years from right now are royally fucked.

And the only people to blame are We The People.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
I don’t believe you.    

You do sound more intelligent and thoughtful, than your initial trolling comment indicated, and you Do make some good points.  

However, you’re waaaay more demoralized than you realize.  Focusing and dwelling on negativity, doesn’t hurt the boomers.  Their cake is already baked, for better or for worse.

View Quote

They wouldn't do any of the condescending bullshit if they were really that secure in significance of their accomplishments.

Their cake might already be baked but that doesn't make Falling Down golf course scene energy any less amusing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KillerDyller:
Buying your first house would suck big time ass right now/thread
View Quote

I bought my first house at 26 in 1992 it was 10 years old and I paid 54k for it. Yeah they're more expensive now but you don't start off at the top. Somewhat decent area and a used house that may need a little work. Sold it for double that amount 14 years later in 06. Had enough equity to upgrade. Now I have enough equity to upgrade again.
It just takes time to build up.
I think a lot of younger people want it "all" right now!

Heck I never bought a new truck until I was 24. Then I kept it 10 years. No fancy wheels , not all jacked up, hell it was 2WD . Nowadays they want the biggest baddest , fastest , blinged out ride they can get on credit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mancat:
I bought my house at 28 in 2012 when the real estate market was in the dump. I bought it for half of what the original owner paid to have it built. It's now worth at least twice that (and four times what I paid) and interest rates are a joke now.

The average 28 year old today can't even afford a "starter" house.

I feel for them. Shit sucks.
View Quote

By average you mean those with no motivation and flip burgers all day and ask if you want the meal or just the sandwich?

I know a lot of guys mid 20's in the trades making journeyman wages.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

By average you mean those with no motivation and flip burgers all day and ask if you want the meal or just the sandwich?

View All Quotes
I bought my house at 28 in 2012 when the real estate market was in the dump. I bought it for half of what the original owner paid to have it built. It's now worth at least twice that (and four times what I paid) and interest rates are a joke now.

McDonald’s pays more than being a new teacher these days.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

In what trade(s)? Where? Be specific.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#10]

I bought my first house at 26 in 1992 it was 10 years old and I paid 54k for it. Yeah they're more expensive now but you don't start off at the top. Somewhat decent area and a used house that may need a little work. Sold it for double that amount 14 years later in 06. Had enough equity to upgrade. Now I have enough equity to upgrade again.

Heck I never bought a new truck until I was 24. Then I kept it 10 years. No fancy wheels , not all jacked up, hell it was 2WD . Nowadays they want the biggest baddest , fastest , blinged out ride they can get on credit.

View Quote
There is absolutely a lot of truth to this. I fall victim to it, too, at times, especially with vehicles.

For example, all I truly need is a Ford Maverick, but I'm man enough to admit that I'd feel a little faggy driving around in one, so F-150 it is. It's my own insecurity but I can face it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

How much does said 54k house go for now? Cause if it’s like my area, it goes for 300-350k. The mortgage payment alone would increase my housing budget by 100%. My wife and I have made peace with the fact that a home likely isn’t in the cards for at least 10 years unless I get lucky with my career or the housing market dips.

Also you say 24 like that’s so old, I’m 24 currently and couldn’t fathom paying 30-40k for a base model new truck. So I drive 14-15 year old Japanese shitboxes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

View All Quotes

Doubtful. Maybe your area , I have no clue.
My daughter put herself through school (we helped some) and is now a kindergarten teacher at a public school in her 4th year making 65k. The next district over which is where she is trying to get is 85k a year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#13]

How much does said 54k house go for now? Cause if it’s like my area, it goes for 300-350k. The mortgage payment alone would increase my housing budget by 100%. My wife and I have made peace with the fact that a home likely isn’t in the cards for at least 10 years unless I get lucky with my career or the housing market dips.

Also you say 24 like that’s so old, I’m 24 currently and couldn’t fathom paying 30-40k for a base model new truck. So I drive 14-15 year old Japanese shitboxes.
View Quote

If you can't afford a $350k house on $23/hr, its because you don't work enough overtime and eat too much avocado toast.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

The problem with making money in the trades is that you have to WORK. You can't wait for some other guy to do your job because it isn't getting done. You can't be on the phone 1/2 the day and expect to move up. Money is in the OT. Time and a half and DT after hours and weekend brings in the coin.

What you have to learn though is just how  hard to push yourself, push to hard, work to much and to long constantly and you end up screwing your body up, not enough and you'll struggle to get ahead. Find that sweet spot and you'll have a decent life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#15]

If you can't afford a $350k house on $23/hr, its because you don't work enough overtime and eat too much avocado toast.
View Quote

Avocado toast? Never heard of it. Boomers love to talk about it though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Lineman to be specific.

JY wage here is $46.85 Almost 98k a year for base pay. But they don't work for just base pay 40 hours a week. These guys are working at the least 50 hours or more. They are probably around no less than 130k to  140k a year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#17]

My daughter put herself through school (we helped some) and is now a kindergarten teacher at a public school in her 4th year making 65k. The next district over which is where she is trying to get is 85k a year.
View Quote

Teacher pay varies a lot geographically as well as by public vs. private. I don't know what the numbers look like from 2023 because I haven't looked, but it probably hasn't changed much as far as proportions and variance since the 2000's when I was considering teaching. It's likely there is a significant population of teachers making less than whats on the now hiring sign at my nearest MacDonalds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:22:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lokifox] [#18]

Lineman to be specific.

JY wage here is $46.85 Almost 98k a year for base pay. But they don't work for just base pay 40 hours a week. These guys are working at the least 50 hours or more. They are probably around no less than 130k to  140k a year.
View All Quotes

Lineman to be specific.

Specific trades are fantastic.

Lineman, Subs, HVAC (owner-operator), industrial electrician, comms, almost forgot automation... Automation guys are doing great right now.

I'm guilty of using "trades" as a catch all but anyone with half a brain should know that trying to compete with Mexican roofing crews and framers is a waste of time.

If you're too stupid to understand that, you probably shouldn't be in the trades.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Lineman to be specific.

View Quote

Lineman make good money, but they pay for it in other ways. My dad has been doing it for 20 something years. I can remember all the times he left early from important events because OT was calling. Showed me good work ethic, but he always said go to school so you don’t have to do this shit for a living. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

The problem with making money in the trades is that you have to WORK. You can't wait for some other guy to do your job because it isn't getting done. You can't be on the phone 1/2 the day and expect to move up. Money is in the OT. Time and a half and DT after hours and weekend brings in the coin.

What you have to learn though is just how  hard to push yourself, push to hard, work to much and to long constantly and you end up screwing your body up, not enough and you'll struggle to get ahead. Find that sweet spot and you'll have a decent life.
View Quote

You also have to pick a trade that actually pays good and in which wages track at least evenly with inflation. At some point you simply cannot just keep taking more and more overtime just to make up for inflation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

What district in TX is paying 4yr teachers 85K?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

So she makes double the minimum required. That isn’t typical…

Attachment Attached File

And yes, McDonald’s in my area have been paying around $20/hr to start.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

Specific trades are fantastic.

Lineman, Subs, HVAC (owner-operator), industrial electrician, comms, almost forgot automation... Automation guys are doing great right now.

I'm guilty of using "trades" as a catch all but anyone with half a brain should know that trying to compete with Mexican roofing crews and framers is a waste of time.

If you're too stupid to understand that, you probably shouldn't be in the trades.
View Quote

We already established that industrial electrician doesn't belong on this list.

Its not one of the worst, but its not among the best either.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

225k is the appraised value right now on a house I paid 54k for. It doubled for me and then doubled again for the new owners.

Still affordable with a half decent job.

I drove a 1978 chevy truck from high school until I was 24. So yeah it was time. I could barely afford it at the time making 1st year apprentice wages. It was just a plain 2WD 1990 Silverado.
Actually strike that. I was 22 and bought a 88 dually. That was dumb. Sold it and then bought the 1990.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Agilt:

View Quote
65k for 10mo of work is pretty sick, thats equiv to 78k. 85 = 102.

I remember when I was in school a lot of teachers had summer gigs (part time) to make some extra coin, did tutoring, etc. but the ones with a working husb/wife just took the time off.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:38:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#26]

They wouldn't do any of the condescending bullshit if they were really that secure in significance of their accomplishments.

Their cake might already be baked but that doesn't make Falling Down golf course scene energy any less amusing.
View All Quotes
I don’t believe you.    

Sure.  Old people have always been ridiculous and amusing, but in reality, you’re actually closer to them, than you are to the teeny bopper internet personae that you project.   I’ve seen this happen to lots of members, and I’m sure you’ve seen it too.   You were a young man in 2007, but you aren’t anymore.    It’s as if your character got locked in and never grew up.   It’s fun to lapse into Peter Pan mode and commiserate with likeminded people, but most of them aren’t playing.   They really Are demoralized, downtrodden and nearly suicidal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

I don't see that as a PROBLEM. That's just called work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Lineman make good money, but they pay for it in other ways. My dad has been doing it for 20 something years. I can remember all the times he left early from important events because OT was calling. Showed me good work ethic, but he always said go to school so you don’t have to do this shit for a living. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze in my experience.
View All Quotes

Lineman to be specific.

I did it for 37 years. Retired at 55. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

@codyboy

What district in TX is paying 85K for standard schedule 4yr teacher?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Sure.  Old people have always been ridiculous and amusing, but in reality, you’re actually closer to them, than you are to the teeny bopper internet personae that you project.   I’ve seen this happen to lots of members, and I’m sure you’ve seen it too.   You were a young man in 2007, but you aren’t anymore.    It’s as if your character got locked in and never grew up.   It’s fun to lapse into Peter Pan mode and commiserate with likeminded people, but most of them aren’t playing.   They really Are demoralized, downtrodden and nearly suicidal.
View Quote

I'm about the same distance age wise, not much better off than the kids on money. Probably a skill issue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#31]

I did it for 37 years. Retired at 55. YMMV.
View Quote

Props to you. I told myself years ago I wasn’t putting my family through it. The song “Cat’s in the Cradle” is a terrible way to raise kids.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#32]

I'm about the same distance age wise, not much better off than the kids on money. Probably a skill issue.
View Quote

How many career changes?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I was a little off on the salary. But its way better than flipping burgers.
Barbers Hill
Salary Structure: (Based on 2023-2024 Compensation Plan)

0  Years  = $65,000

15 Years = $80,262

30 Years = $87,222

Add $1,200 for Master's Stipend

Add $3,000 for Bilingual Stipend

Add $5,000 for National Board Teacher Certification

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Scooter army rolling down Main Street is gonna be funny to
watch on the news. Also gonna be great when they get stopped by the stairs up to the capitol building.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw

gonna play this whilst watching president AOC sieze the b**mas' houses and 401ks to redistribute amongst the poors, the border jumpers, and/or the poor border jumpers.

way she fuckin' goes there, eh bois?

@eagarminuteman

Scooter army rolling down Main Street is gonna be funny to
watch on the news. Also gonna be great when they get stopped by the stairs up to the capitol building.

There is a classic Dr Who scene where Tom Baker mocks the "superior beings" from the top of a flight of stairs
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By slow3v:

I remember when I was in school a lot of teachers had summer gigs (part time) to make some extra coin, did tutoring, etc. but the ones with a working husb/wife just took the time off.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slow3v:

She has her pay structured to pay throughout the year. And she also teaches summer school for that extra coin.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Barbers Hill

0  Years  = $65,000

15 Years = $80,262

30 Years = $87,222

View All Quotes

Barbers Hill

0  Years  = $65,000

15 Years = $80,262

30 Years = $87,222

Thanks, I know of that district and exactly where it is. It is a great one if you can get in. It is likely THE highest compensation in the state.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Thanks, I know of that district and exactly where it is. It is a great one if you can get in. It is likely THE highest compensation in the state.
View All Quotes

Barbers Hill

0  Years  = $65,000

15 Years = $80,262

30 Years = $87,222

But every teacher is the state can do the same. Right. Just pull those bootstraps up and have a good firm handshake.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Barbers Hill

0  Years  = $65,000

15 Years = $80,262

30 Years = $87,222

She has applied but no guarantees she will get in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#39]
The only way liberalism is successful is for you to blame someone other than yourself for your actions or inactions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I’m lucky that I got my career started before the Internet became the all encompassing time waster that it is today.  

It’s easy to say “quit wasting time / time is your most valuable commodity / put each minute to good use”

But I’m not sure it’s even possible.    I don’t think I could quit cold turkey.

There really are two classes of people on Arf.   The poorer class thinks the richer class brags too much (and yeah, the Porsche and Rolex threads are obnoxious).    But the main inequality that we have, is in Time.  
A lot of the regulars, have good paying jobs where they just sit around on call, or monitoring networks, etc.   Essentially, we are paid to shitpost.
And then you have the Government agents and Retired workers who Literally get paid to while away the time.  

This place is a deadly Trap for those still trying to build a future.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

How many career changes?
View Quote

Depending on what counts as a "career change", 3-7.

Deciding to bail and try something else wasn't a bad decision for any of them. Flip side is all of the new selections were bad decisions, except the most recent one. The most recent one was simply getting back into what I had gone to school for before the previous 2 changes.

So far at my first real job in the field I went to school for, its going relatively well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#42]

But every teacher is the state can do the same. Right. Just pull those bootstraps up and have a good firm handshake.
View Quote

BOOTSTRAPS! Indeed, it is totally reasonable for someone living outside of Dumas, TX to commute to Mont Belvieu just down the road a piece for some more money.
She has applied but no guarantees she will get in.
View Quote

Due to the location, compensation, and makeup, it's a pretty competitive district to get into; hopefully she does. If we lived on that side of town I know my wife would be trying to get in there as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Young people have concerns about their future.

One side pretends to listen and gives them all kinds of "help" which really doesn't improve their situation at all based on their lunatic ideology

The other side tells them that they're lazy worthless pieces of shit and that their worries are irrelevant based on their experiences decades ago in a very different America

Guess which side is going to get their votes and loyalty?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Many have been sold a certain level of comfort, luxury and status is owed by their very existence.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#45]

I’m lucky that I got my career started before the Internet became the all encompassing time waster that it is today.  

It’s easy to say “quit wasting time / time is your most valuable commodity / put each minute to good use”

But I’m not sure it’s even possible.    I don’t think I could quit cold turkey.

There really are two classes of people on Arf.   The poorer class thinks the richer class brags too much (and yeah, the Porsche and Rolex threads are obnoxious).    But the main inequality that we have, is in Time.  
A lot of the regulars, have good paying jobs where they just sit around on call, or monitoring networks, etc.   Essentially, we are paid to shitpost.
And then you have the Government agents and Retired workers who Literally get paid to while away the time.  

This place is a deadly Trap for those still trying to build a future.
View Quote

Some days I'm very, very busy. Wont post on arf. no reading, no streaming anime, barely have time to microwave a meal. When 12 hours is over I take a shower and go straight to sleep. I've had rig hands tell me I'm an idiot for agreeing to work like that for what we get paid per hour.

Today...I'm looking out my lab window at a rig that is not going to do anything that requires new action from me for at least another 12 hours. I have some paperwork to do, but not enough that I can't...take a break here and there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MagnusAugustus:

One side pretends to listen and gives them all kinds of "help" which really doesn't improve their situation at all based on their lunatic ideology

The other side tells them that they're lazy worthless pieces of shit and that their worries are irrelevant based on their experiences decades ago in a very different America

View Quote

But it’s more fun to call them lazy and worthless.

/s
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:37:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#47]
Originally Posted By MagnusAugustus:

View Quote

The side that promises MORE FREE SHIT.  

We, the People, Love Free Shit.

I wish the Republicans would promise Free Abortions, Free Weed, Free Stimmy Checks, Free Porn, Free UBI, Free Immigration, Free Housing Free Education and Free Cars.   Take control of every branch, and then simply renege and fire every anti-Constitution bureaucrat in Government service.   Investigate the Media and every other anti American institution.  Clean house.    

Beat the Democrats at their own game.   They have to do something, because playing by the Queens rules is a losing game.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

That dog of yours in your avitar............well, it's almost the spittin image of my old gal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#49]
A people that are happy and content will not overthrow a successful 248 year old method of governing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MagnusAugustus:Guess which side is going to get their votes and loyalty?
View Quote

The one that buys their college debts for me to pay off?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top