Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I do many times that in a year without that useless degree or the debt that came with it .
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Lolz.    I had vivid dreams at first.  5 mg is plenty, or maybe try half that. Give it another shot, without alcohol.    It’s actually good for you.   The gummies work best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

Try just Melatonin.  No booze.  5 or 10 mg.

Thx!
I did, and had absolutely horrific nightmares - woke up screaming.
I’m using the $10.00 bottle Amazon Sleep Aid. I take half a pill every night with a glass of whiskey - it does the trick with no side effects.

Lolz.    I had vivid dreams at first.  5 mg is plenty, or maybe try half that. Give it another shot, without alcohol.    It’s actually good for you.   The gummies work best.

Nightmares,  vivid dreams? Go to bed with Grizzly Snuff in your mouth.

Off the wall stuff you've never imagined in your life.  It's pretty cool sometimes.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
South Park is a documentary that touches on the ups and downs of the field of Geology.
View Quote

Sometimes when things are slow, you have to release your own album under a pseudonym.

Lorde's New Hit - SOUTH PARK
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By gmtech:

Oh.... what are " useless" degrees paying these days ?

Most of those guys far exceed 150k and they do it a lot faster than most college kids do , without the debt .

I don't know where ur getting 40k . No professional I know is anywhere near that low in any of the trades I mentioned .

As a mechanic I did 180k the first six months of last year and in 22 my W4 was 306k .
I've been in the trades for 40 fucking years , so ur snarky fucking opinion doesn't mean shit .

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

For every 1 of those trades guys making $130k-$200k, there's 10 making $40k.

It's also funny that you think everyone with a "useless degree" tops out at $80k.

Most of those guys far exceed 150k and they do it a lot faster than most college kids do , without the debt .

I don't know where ur getting 40k . No professional I know is anywhere near that low in any of the trades I mentioned .

As a mechanic I did 180k the first six months of last year and in 22 my W4 was 306k .
I've been in the trades for 40 fucking years , so ur snarky fucking opinion doesn't mean shit .

Okay, boomer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I made my own successful future with hard work and determination.

No sitting around feeling sorry for myself and not expecting society to reward me for bad decisions.

I laugh at those getting worthless college degrees today and then complain that their degree in wokeness does not earn them enough money to payoff their student loans.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]

I do many times that in a year without that useless degree or the debt that came with it .
View All Quotes

You asked about the difference in pay between those with degrees and those without.

The data is conclusive and that set doesn't even address the earning potential delta between studies of fluffy subjects or hard sciences.

Despite the fact that GD thinks all college is woke waste of time, many kids find great success there. As many do in the trades as well. There was some confusion in another thread a while back where folks believe that intelligence is correlated with earnings and that just isn't true.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't put it out as a job lead. I put it out as a job example.

Trying to be contrary to make a point is not becoming.

And yes the OT adds up for that kid but  he's a worker, not a whiner .
View Quote

Not becoming of what? Sir, this is GD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
I do find myself worrying about my children's future.  The two older ones are moving along but I feel like things are going to be harder to the two younger ones.
View Quote

Every generation worries about their children's future. In the end, they figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Its_Raining_Lead:

Geology is feast or famine, and highly cyclical on top of that. It's a really tough field in the down years, and even when times are decent - if industry is consolidating, like it is now, forget about it. There are the 1% of geologists that can make some serious money through a obscure combination of skill, luck, connections and opportunity.
View Quote

IDK man, if you take some of the wild assumptions made about me in this thread (which are pretty funny) for granted, geoology must be straight gravy.

Here's the secret: it actually is kinda gravy. The starter jobs dont pay great, but they are also kinda like a form of hazing. Compared to being a private in the Infantry, a rookie on a college rugby team, or a fraternity pledge, or even a new guy on a shop floor full of tradies, its not that bad. For someone who has done all of those things, the guys and girls that cant hang for a year would be absolutely befuddling if I hadn't known people who are the exact same character tropes in college. Literally the hardest thing they have ever had to overcome in their life was minerology.

There's parts of the cycle where its very difficult to get hired on for your first job (which is why I have experience as a tradie), or if you aren't very much on top of your shit you're probably getting laid off. On the flip side, I think the time I spent turning a wrench made my current job a lot easier than it is for guys that come straight out of school and have never been in anything resembling this environment before.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
It’s delicious, just don’t get hooked on it.  Personally, I have them hold the avocado but it’s still good.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_5204-3095881.jpg
View Quote

Sir, this post is NSFW. I'm over an hour of driving both ways from the nearest place to get avocados, and I'm also trying to slim down my winter weight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

You asked about the difference in pay between those with degrees and those without.

The data is conclusive and that set doesn't even address the earning potential delta between studies of fluffy subjects or hard sciences.

Despite the fact that GD thinks all college is woke waste of time, many kids find great success there. As many do in the trades as well. There was some confusion in another thread a while back where folks believe that intelligence is correlated with earnings and that just isn't true.
View Quote

IQ does correlate to earnings. Its not one for one, because you have some medium brains out there with business aptitude and also guys that are big brained enough to get a STEM degree but too impulsive and high time preference to sit through upper level engineering classes. And in the trades, wagie or not, people with low enough IQs are just NGMI.

There's stats on this. I don't feel like looking them up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

View Quote

I think the key is having a viable plan to achieve a goal. I'm mid 40s and spent 25 years doing various construction jobs and eventually owning my own business. I was pushing 40 before I really figured out what I want. I'm now trying to figure out how to make it happen. I've always worked but it was never with a purpose till I had matured.
College trade school or a job is just marking time if you don't have a goal.

The old I wish I knew then what I know now story really rings true for me. I've always been timid in life and a saver or even a miser with money.  Assuming my plan for the next couple of years work out. I'm going to have to be really aggressive and take on debt in hopes of having what I want before I'm too old.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]

It's also funny that you think everyone with a "useless degree" tops out at $80k.
View Quote

Not to defend that guy too rigorously, because I do believe he is pulling shit out of his ass (about things I know more about than he does)...

There probably aren't many roughnecks only making $40k. $150k sounds high but there's a lot making close enough to that I could see incentive pay for anyone derrick hand and up to go to certain kinds of locations getting you there pretty easily. Also like every industry, some companies are nicer to work for than others. The only way I see roughnecks only making $40k is if they get laid of and say "whatever, I'm going fishing until the next boom, idgaf." I doubt many guys with that attitude make it past floor hand in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

I can agree with that, but it’s definitely not how successful folks become successful which is what his post intended.
View Quote

Sure. Its kind of like I was telling my best friend the other day. He has been doing way too much doom scrolling lately. The other day the low pressure sensor went off on my truck while I was driving back to the rig from the grocery store. I didn't keep driving around until the tire was flat, but I also didn't listen to a six hour podcast about the globalist tire repair industrial complex conspiracy to have random sheet metal screws on the highway either.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

How else do you establish a culture of entitlement? Fifty-five % of our budget covers entitlements and it is growing as well as our debt. How do you think it can be changed without pain and sacrifice?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Underaid702:
fuck em...

its probably cause they expect everything to be handed to them..

How else do you establish a culture of entitlement? Fifty-five % of our budget covers entitlements and it is growing as well as our debt. How do you think it can be changed without pain and sacrifice?

Aren’t you 72 years old?  Medicare and Social Security = Entitlements.  Your grandchildren are and will pay for that.  YOU are the problem.

Pain and sacrifice would be YOU going to get medical care and being asked for your credit card.  You should still get your monthly SS check and it should say $0.00.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Aren’t you 72 years old?  Medicare and Social Security = Entitlements.  Your grandchildren are and will pay for that.  YOU are the problem.

Pain and sacrifice would be YOU going to get medical care and being asked for your credit card.  You should still get your monthly SS check and it should say $0.00.
View Quote

Well, technically, they are Ponzi schemes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
Okay, boomer.
View All Quotes

Okay, boomer.

+1

Amen.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

View All Quotes

And all Ponzi schemes don’t have a great future.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

The QALY is coming.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Ugh. I just had to do actual work for 2 minutes. Had to put my hard hat on and everything. I've only got a couple hours to watch anime before there's a cement truck outside my office making a bunch of noise so I can't hear the TV.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#22]

IQ does correlate to earnings. Its not one for one, because you have some medium brains out there with business aptitude and also guys that are big brained enough to get a STEM degree but too impulsive and high time preference to sit through upper level engineering classes. And in the trades, wagie or not, people with low enough IQs are just NGMI.

There's stats on this. I don't feel like looking them up.
View Quote

The low IQ can always trade low skilled manual labor for room and board.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#23]

The QALY is coming.
View Quote

Good. It’s about time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

ROFL Your reasoning is really flawed. I could go to the VA but I don't have to and don't want substandard care. Those who do use VA, get an extra boost because I don't. I also pay for supplemental Ins. I planned my retirement and paid for it.  You can call it whatever you want, just remember you will get the same benefit because you paid into it too. Both Medicare and SS existed long before I ever had a job or could vote. You will have the same investment return and it won't say $0.00. Your ignorance is showing. Instead of whining, go earn and/or buy your coverage. How is Obamacare working for you?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Regardless, you don't have a choice about it, do you? If you ever meet up with FDR take it up with him. He has a forwarding address in hell. There is still a ton of entitlements that can be cut realistically.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Just ask the young un's that bitch about SS that you were FORCED to pay into if their college loans should be paid for by ''the government.'' They WILL say yes. Then tell them to shut the F up because while they had a voluntary choice to go to college and likely take some dumb ass classes for a degree that doesn't pay for shit, those who paid into SS for 40+ years didn't have that same choice.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Just ask the young un's that bitch about SS that you were FORCED to pay into if their college loans should be paid for by ''the government.'' They WILL say yes. Then tell them to shut the F up because while they had a voluntary choice to go to college and likely take some dumb ass classes for a degree that doesn't pay for shit, those who paid into SS for 40+ years didn't have that same choice.

View Quote

Every student loan forgiveness advocate I know is actually a fan of SS. Something about poor grandma.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#28]

ROFL Your reasoning is really flawed. I could go to the VA but I don't have to and don't want substandard care. Those who do use VA, get an extra boost because I don't. I also pay for supplemental Ins. I planned my retirement and paid for it.  You can call it whatever you want, just remember you will get the same benefit because you paid into it too. Both Medicare and SS existed long before I ever had a job or could vote. You will have the same investment return and it won't say $0.00. Your ignorance is showing. Instead of whining, go earn and/or buy your coverage. How is Obamacare working for you?
View Quote

I won't because the fund will be empty by the time I'm of the age to suckle at the government ponzi scheme teat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Regardless, you don't have a choice about it, do you? If you ever meet up with FDR take it up with him. He has a forwarding address in hell. There is still a ton of entitlements that can be cut realistically.
View All Quotes

Including all entitlements. Even the democrat ones republicans now support.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Good. It’s about time.
View All Quotes
The QALY is coming.

Good. It’s about time.

The screeching is going to be epic.  Nobody works for free.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#31]

The screeching is going to be epic.  Nobody works for free.
View Quote

Some will work for food scraps tho. Low skilled men and single women without a protector.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#32]
comparing kids to their parents is an unreasonable and unrealistic measure

when I was 20 I didnt earn shit.  my parents were in their 40's and earning well

guess what - when i was in my 40's i was also earning well  

kids need to grow the fuck up and stop expecting to have the means of well established old people and start working on having skills so they can become well established old people when they grow up.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

what in tardation?

entitlements come from others - if you are 72, and paid in all those years, its a negative return on investment not an entitlement
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Every student loan forgiveness advocate I know is actually a fan of SS. Something about poor grandma.
View Quote

I'm not in favor of student loan forgiveness.

I'm in favor of it being cancelled.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bionicmonkey:

what in tardation?

entitlements come from others - if you are 72, and paid in all those years, its a negative return on investment not an entitlement
View Quote

Hate to break it ya but your money went to someone else, current SS checks are coming from people working right now. SS and Medicare is absolutely entitlement spending on the government budget.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Hate to break it ya but your money went to someone else, current SS checks are coming from people working right now. SS and Medicare is absolutely entitlement spending on the government budget.
View All Quotes

what in tardation?

Yeah, you also leave out [deliberately as all of you do] that the money WOULD be there if the government hadn't slushed it all away and spent it on NON SS handouts and spending.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Yeah, you also leave out [deliberately as all of you do] that the money WOULD be there if the government hadn't slushed it all away and spent it on NON SS handouts and spending.
View Quote

Oh no the government program got abused by the government, who ever could have seen this coming?

Still didn’t disprove anything I said, SS is still entitlement spending.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
Yet they continue to vote Democrat.
View Quote

And what do we get for voting Republican besides the same out of control spending and the gradual reduction of personal privacy and freedom?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Even hypothetically, no it wouldn't, because your generation didn't have enough kids and not enough of the replacements are paying any taxes at all.

But no, I've never left that out. I've already covered this in this very thread. If you missed that, sounds like a skill issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#40]
comparing kids to their parents is an unreasonable and unrealistic measure

when I was 20 I didnt earn shit.  my parents were in their 40's and earning well

guess what - when i was in my 40's i was also earning well  

kids need to grow the fuck up and stop expecting to have the means of well established old people and start working on having skills so they can become well established old people when they grow up.  

View Quote

Technically, the equitable example would have been if your parents had been renting up until their 40s because your grandparents bought up all the houses, saw their values skyrocket and then rented out to their children as their passive income.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By hooligan223:

And what do we get for voting Republican besides the same out of control spending and the gradual reduction of personal privacy and freedom?
View Quote

It just happens at a slower rate. That’s the only difference.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Even hypothetically, no it wouldn't, because your generation didn't have enough kids and not enough of the replacements are paying any taxes at all.

But no, I've never left that out. I've already covered this in this very thread. If you missed that, sounds like a skill issue.
View All Quotes

My generation did, after that, not so much and each succeeding one is even more ''sterile.''
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#43]

It just happens at a slower rate. That’s the only difference.
View Quote

My favorite Joe Biden related posts are clips of him that are more than 30 years old. He used to be to the right of a lot of current Republicans. Kinda based, actually.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#44]

My generation did, after that, not so much and each succeeding one is even more ''sterile.''
View Quote

Well sorry for lumping you in with my favorite arf nemesis I didn't realize you were that old.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
Yet they continue to vote Democrat.
View Quote

America's decline is not written in stone. But yeah it's very hard to vote better and do better when the Communists have controlled education and indoctrinated our youth since the 1960s.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Well sorry for lumping you in with my favorite arf nemesis I didn't realize you were that old.
View All Quotes

Eh? speak up sonny!

Yeah, I'm up there a bit. Just never lost my smart ass attitude.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#47]

what in tardation?

View All Quotes

what in tardation?

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:
There would be more if a future if they stopped supporting goat fuckers and welcoming half retarded border jumping criminals.
View Quote

He's blunt, but he makes a good point.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

what in tardation?

No, it wouldn't.  It never has been an investment vehicle, it has always been social insurance.  And it has always been the retiree portion that causes the pain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#50]

No, it wouldn't.  It never has been an investment vehicle, it has always been social insurance.  And it has always been the retiree portion that causes the pain.
View All Quotes

what in tardation?

it's the portion they CLAIM causes the pain. Dump ALL other welfare spending [including ALL monies spent on illegals and legal aliens to include ALL medical, housing, transportation and 1000 other things] that wasn't taxed from peoples paychecks and magic would happen.

The people in government would also lose massive amounts of power, hence, never going to happen.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top