Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been detailing cars for 50 damn years.  Last year someone told me about Gyeon.

It's amazing.  I'll never go back to wax or sealant.  I used to think Klasse SG was incredible when it came out in the 80s.  Ceramic is many times better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HBPredhunter:
I've been detailing cars for 50 damn years.  Last year someone told me about Gyeon.

It's amazing.  I'll never go back to wax or sealant.  I used to think Klasse SG was incredible when it came out in the 80s.  Ceramic is many times better.
View Quote

Which gyeon product? I use wetcoat over top of my ceramic. It's pretty good
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:

Investment?  You sure about that?  Sure, of course you want it to last longer but to call a modern automobile an investment is like saying democrats handle money well.

View Quote

The 992 GT3’s I want are all $100K over MSRP new. 991 GT3’s are selling for more now than they did new 5-6 years ago with 30K miles on them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
It's a fucking car.  It will get dirty/dinged/scratched no matter what you do.
View Quote

Nooooo!  It’s your identity, your sense of self worth.   It the only measure of success that truly matters.  No one will respect you if it doesn’t look like it just came off the showroom floor.  

Just kidding, it’s just a fucking car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cash50:

Which gyeon product? I use wetcoat over top of my ceramic. It's pretty good
View Quote

Curious as well. The front half/hips of my 911 is PPF, on my IS500 it’s only the hood….curious if I can apply something like this over the PPF and non-PPF paint.

https://gyeonusa.com/collections/ceramic-coatings/products/cancoat-kit-test
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By drw1006:

Disagree.
It is an investment now. With the price of vehicles being so high with associated interest rates, anything to make your vehicle last longer is a positive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It's a fucking car.  It will get dirty/dinged/scratched no matter whT you do.

Disagree.
It is an investment now. With the price of vehicles being so high with associated interest rates, anything to make your vehicle last longer is a positive.

They have never been an investment unless it’s a collector car.  It’s a depreciating asset.   Agree to squeeze as much use as you can out of it, but no one is going to give a shit if you trade it in every 3-5 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

Curious as well. The front half/hips of my 911 is PPF, on my IS500 it’s only the hood….curious if I can apply something like this over the PPF and non-PPF paint.

https://gyeonusa.com/collections/ceramic-coatings/products/cancoat-kit-test
View Quote

You can.

Most modern PPF comes with some sort of top-coat but it is always a good idea to put something else on it.

I have personally not used Cancoat but it has an excellent reputation among detailers who do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

You can.

Most modern PPF comes with some sort of top-coat but it is always a good idea to put something else on it.

I have personally not used Cancoat but it has an excellent reputation among detailers who do.
View Quote

Awesome! Thank you!
I’ve always wondered this but never looked into it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By luscioman:
I have had cars ceramic coated and I did a car with Meguiars Hybrid. For prep I did thr clay bar and then hybrid. I had good results. Most places uses cheap ceramic brands like ECP (check Amazon) and barely prep.
View Quote

Same. Mequiars hybrid is the shit.  Easiest to reapply.  I did mine in nov and it survived the N IL winter. For ease of use, nothing better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Awesome! Thank you!
I’ve always wondered this but never looked into it.
View Quote

It’s actually pretty beneficial as PPF can be somewhat porous and putting something on it will help keep it from “soaking” up things like bugs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Ceramic is now a hype word. Just like most of the other guys, Adam's sold out to the corporate crowd and claims nearly everything to be ceramic (like Chemical Guys, Meguiars, Turtle).

A true ceramic/graphene/teflon coating can last years if maintained. They help with gloss, washing damage, and most importantly...contamination. They make taking care of your car's exterior easier. They aren't a forcefield, and they aren't maintenance free. They need tons of prep work, a skilled application, updates and to be de-clogged.

People will claim that they are like Simonez dealership treatments, but they actually work. I just wouldnt pay 1k for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]

The 992 GT3’s I want are all $100K over MSRP new. 991 GT3’s are selling for more now than they did new 5-6 years ago with 30K miles on them.

View Quote

Now imagine if you snatched up a couple 964’s back when you could get them for around $10-20k?  I was a poor college kid back then and no way could I swing it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

Yup. Their ceramic hybrid is like 15 bucks.  Just wash car spotless and give it a good buffing first.  The ceramic application itself is beyond easy.  My cars still bead after a year of MN winter, salt, sand, and lots of driving offroad in the woods and gravel roads.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Originally Posted By seek2:

Turtle wax's products just require you to wash the car and will go over whatever is already on there fine.

They work well above their price point.

Yup. Their ceramic hybrid is like 15 bucks.  Just wash car spotless and give it a good buffing first.  The ceramic application itself is beyond easy.  My cars still bead after a year of MN winter, salt, sand, and lots of driving offroad in the woods and gravel roads.
I've been using TW ceramic hybrid for a couple of years.  Super easy but I have to apply, wipe off, wipe off again with a damp towel, and give it a final buff.  All with high-quality microfiber towels.  No effort to speak of and not a hard job at all.  I might be putting a bit too much but I don't care.

Does a really good job.  Two coats and the bugs on the front wash off a lot easier.  

Works great for bugs on the bike, my helmet, and the bike windshield.  Now if only Colgate made a hybrid ceramic toothpaste...  
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I worked my way through college by detailing cars for car dealships and rich lawyers and lobbyists in Tallahassee.

Consumer grade products are sufficient for most people and you don't need to be a professional to get a pretty good application.

One thing which is commonly missed is to clay bar the vehicle before coating. Otherwise you seal in a lot of crap. You will be amazed how much detrius you can pull off a 'clean' car with a clay bar.

You can buy professional grade products for $100 to $150.

I don't know much about graphine but it looks to be better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:13:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveOak] [#15]

Disagree.
View Quote

No. LOL

An investment is an asset or item acquired with the goal of generating income or appreciation. You daily driver is not an investment. But my hat is off to the salesman that got you to buy in to that shit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:04:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#16]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:

No. LOL

An investment is an asset or item acquired with the goal of generating income or appreciation. You daily driver is not an investment. But my hat is off to the salesman that got you to buy in to that shit.
View Quote

Heck even some collectibles don't appreciate depending on storage and insurance costs. I have a buddy with a few he puts in shows. 300 a month in storage each and a hundred ish in insurance each month.  None of those cars increased over those costs per year in value. Oh an add in the paint jobs upholstery and having all the gaskets and seals redone as they dry out from age
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I did the Q8 right after purchase and detail.

It was pricey, but well worth the money over time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
When you are poor you hate.

It is even worse when you don't take care of the shit you have!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:

No. LOL

View Quote

It's "your" daily driver.

And no salesman was involved. Watching the market trends in new and used vehicles since the new way of the world happened, think pandemic. Intrest rates have sky rocketed. So, for me to sell my vehicle that I paid waaaay below what would be asking for the same thing as comparable now and with the insane interest rates going on, I have the "investment" of not paying the extra cash for the new world way. My Denali has less than 30k on it, looks brand new, I take very good care of it because I want the investment of not having to be forced into getting an new/newer truck in this seriously inflated market. This thread was about taking care of your vehicle to make it last as long as you can. Do you disagree that that is a LOL plan?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Had my black truck ceramic coated when I bought it new 5 years ago. Since the RZR and the trailer fill up my 2 car garage, the truck is parked in the driveway. It doesn't look new, but it's very close. Definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#21]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/IMG_2779_jpeg-3197287.JPG
View Quote

That infographic is flawed for a number of reasons. First, it goes from pre- to post-pandemic and that was an anomaly in car valuations and likely doesn't represent historical norms. Second, it's calculating from MSRP so for many of those cars that likely sold below MSRP the depreciation is overstated, and for any that sold for over MSRP the depreciation is understated.

So for example if a 911 was going for 10% over MSRP in 2018, then the actual depreciation is closer to 19% not 9%
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#22]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:

View Quote

Some people literally never wash or wax their cars.more than once a year.. if ever..my brother is like that. Wonders why his old cars don't sell even if under the good they are great.

Sold my 18 year old Trailblazer. It too long ago..always kept the paint protected. 245k.miles and it still sold to the first inquiry.

Not an amazing pic but I think it looks ok for almost 20 yr old original.paint. so e.of the cloud reflections make spots look like faded clear coat but they are just cloud reflections
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Butternut] [#24]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Butternut:

I even saw a commercial for tire dressing the other day that claimed it had ceramic in it.

ETA, not kidding.
View Quote

Waiting for Ceramic windshield washer fluid
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Originally Posted By Butternut:

I even saw a commercial for tire dressing the other day that claimed it had ceramic in it.

ETA, not kidding.

“Includes real zirconium particles. Harder than glass or steel!”

***always thought that would be a shitty way to get revenge, sprinkle zirconium powder on their wiper blades
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top