Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn’t have any trouble in september, I could get any ticket like 30 minutes before boarding. It was a blast. The tourists that are everywhere are chinese, they are pricks of the highest order.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By couchlord:

I'm visiting in May.  That's too bad about Kyoto, I was planning a quick 1 day tour from Osaka.  

What are the odds of Mt Fuji being visible?  The interweb indicates spring-summer tends to be cloudy.  Are the weather forecasts accurate such that I can change my plans with a couple days notice?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By couchlord:
Originally Posted By Ronin76:
I live here in Tokyo. June is more than hot enough but at least there is only one holiday in June so you won't be competing with locals for train tickets - at least not more than usual. I try to advise people to avoid coming in June/July/August due to the heat but I guess you are already locked in.

I also advise people to avoid Kyoto as it is infested by tourists and is no longer what it used to be. I was voluntold by my Army Reserve leadership to act as navigator to Kyoto for a group who were here for an exercise in 2015. The only times I heard Japanese being spoken was when I was talking with the staff at restaurants/shops. I heard just about every other language being spoken in the crush of people around us.  

Sorry to say but the Tokyo city government decided that this weekly event wasn't important enough and the streets are no longer blocked off on Sundays around that park. I have not heard if/where those groups went to after that changed.

I'm visiting in May.  That's too bad about Kyoto, I was planning a quick 1 day tour from Osaka.  

What are the odds of Mt Fuji being visible?  The interweb indicates spring-summer tends to be cloudy.  Are the weather forecasts accurate such that I can change my plans with a couple days notice?
I'm in Kyoto now and there's a ton of tourists but seems to be about the same as my last trip here 8 years ago. It's my favorite city in JP.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I live here in Tokyo. June is more than hot enough but at least there is only one holiday in June so you won't be competing with locals for train tickets - at least not more than usual. I try to advise people to avoid coming in June/July/August due to the heat but I guess you are already locked in.
View Quote
FACTS.
I came here once in June and swore I never would so that again. It was insanely humid in Osaka - as soon as I stepped outside, I was drenched in sweat. And the lack of central AC at my in-laws' place in Nara made it unbearable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By code99:

I followed your post about your most recent trip to Japan in real time. Very sorry about your dog. The only way I'm able to go on this trip is because my wife is staying home and taking care of our dogs.

I've only spent time on layovers in the train station in Nagoya but every time I was there I wondered what it would be like to see what a 'normal' work-a-day Japanese city like Nagoya would be like. I know that we will transit through there going from Takayama to Kyoto. Any suggestions for something quick near the train station?
View Quote

Honestly, nothing specific. Very high end stores on the tall building side of the station. Underground shopping goes on forever just outside the station. I am content with people/car watching. I will say if you want kick ass Croquettes and onigiri go here

I damn near emptied this case every morning
Attachment Attached File

not far from the station. A few blocks.

I had reason to be in Nagoya since my kid is staying there so it made it a cool place to be.
Tokoname was neat and about 25 min south. Gifu castle was worth the 30min train ride north. The view was astonishing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Swing by Kabbashi Street & buy me a nice 240mm gyuto.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Swing by Kappabashi Street & buy me a nice 240mm gyuto.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Szilagyi-hpg:
I didn’t have any trouble in september, I could get any ticket like 30 minutes before boarding. It was a blast. The tourists that are everywhere are chinese, they are pricks of the highest order.
View Quote

Thanks for your reply. You also answered another question that I had but didn't post and I had been wondering if the increase in tourists was mainly Asians or Westerners. I used to travel a lot internationally before the hordes of Chinese tourists became a thing so I've never really experienced it but I have heard a lot of horror stories about how insufferable they can be.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SatelliteMan:
Swing by Kabbashi Street & buy me a nice 240mm gyuto.
View Quote

I'm planning on buying a gyoto while I am in Japan. I have a couple already and definitely want more. I know about this place in Tokyo. Do you know of any other places I should check out?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

Honestly, nothing specific. Very high end stores on the tall building side of the station. Underground shopping goes on forever just outside the station. I am content with people/car watching. I will say if you want kick ass Croquettes and onigiri go here

I damn near emptied this case every morning
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285969/Screen_Shot_2024-04-25_at_6_02_40_PM_png-3197780.JPG

not far from the station. A few blocks.

I had reason to be in Nagoya since my kid is staying there so it made it a cool place to be.
Tokoname was neat and about 25 min south. Gifu castle was worth the 30min train ride north. The view was astonishing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285969/IMG_0198_jpeg-3197772.JPG
View Quote

I might try to get out around the station for a bit of a walk when I'm passing through.

That is one hell of a view for sure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for your reply. You also answered another question that I had but didn't post and I had been wondering if the increase in tourists was mainly Asians or Westerners. I used to travel a lot internationally before the hordes of Chinese tourists became a thing so I've never really experienced it but I have heard a lot of horror stories about how insufferable they can be.
View Quote

On my daily commute I usually change trains at Akihabara so I see a lot of tourists. There really seem to be more westerners than there had been before COVID and fewer Chinese. And even the Chinese now seem to be more Taiwanese/Singaporean and fewer mainlanders. From about 10 years back walking through Ginza and the overwhelming majority of people were Chinese and Koreans - with a small sprinkling of Japanese and westerners. Now it seems the tourist crowd is about half Asian and half westerners.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:15:47 AM EDT
[#11]

On my daily commute I usually change trains at Akihabara so I see a lot of tourists. There really seem to be more westerners than there had been before COVID and fewer Chinese. And even the Chinese now seem to be more Taiwanese/Singaporean and fewer mainlanders. From about 10 years back walking through Ginza and the overwhelming majority of people were Chinese and Koreans - with a small sprinkling of Japanese and westerners. Now it seems the tourist crowd is about half Asian and half westerners.
View All Quotes

Interesting. I was always under the impression that it was the mainland Chinese that were the assholes and Taiwanese and Koreans were generally ok.

It will be interesting to see how things have changed. On my first visit in 2003, I don't remember seeing many foreigners at all and on my second trip in 2006 it was the same. Most people couldn't understand why I wanted to go to Japan back then. Now it seems to be all the rage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I follow these threads because some day I need to visit my brother who lives with his wife outside Tokyo, and also hit up a few of the judo schools around Toyko and Yokoyama.  I know my wife is gonna want to do more than just judo LOL.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Interesting. I was always under the impression that it was the mainland Chinese that were the assholes and Taiwanese and Koreans were generally ok.

It will be interesting to see how things have changed. On my first visit in 2003, I don't remember seeing many foreigners at all and on my second trip in 2006 it was the same. Most people couldn't understand why I wanted to go to Japan back then. Now it seems to be all the rage.
View Quote

Yeah, there weren't many western tourists back in the early 2ks. I think what has changed is cell phones make getting around and communicating way easier. I recall having to plan quite a bit more in the pre-cell days. Last time I was in JP it was like just get the pocket wifi, make sure the suica/whatever card worked and I was GTG.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#14]

I only passed through Osaka in the past. This trip we are planning on at least an evening to gorge ourselves and walk around.
View Quote

There's an interesting museum near Osaka castle, I think its called the Peace Museum, but is pretty much the fire bombing museum
Osaka castle had bus loads of the noisyest chinese I've ever run across, you could hear them shouting the whole time there.
Minoh falls outside Osaka,  good paved hiking trails, saw a big monkey at the falls, I had no idea they had monkeys around there. The thing clearly had eyes on the cat snack my friend was giving to a stray, it was quite large and the locals there were obviously nervous about it.
Kyoto train museum.
Yamato Museum at Kure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
That's good to hear about Nagoya. I'm heading to Japan in October and plan to spend a couple of days there. Hoping to catch a local band playing at Hope Plaza. One of the bands I listen to (Gordon) is out of Nagoya.
View Quote

There's a band out of there named Blue Valley I'm wanting to go see
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:33:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#16]

Headed to Japan for a couple of weeks in mid-June with my 15 year old kid. I've been twice before, but this is my first trip in 18 years. It is my understanding that in that time, foreign tourist visits have increased 10-fold so I would imagine quite a lot has changed.

The biggest question I have is, will I need to reserve train tickets days ahead or is it no problem to turn up at the station, buy a ticket and hop on? Not doing the Japan Rail Pass this time as it is no longer worth the price.

Will be in Tokyo, Kanazawa, Takayama, and Kyoto with side trips from each. Will use the shinkansen whenever it is available.

Also, if anybody has any out of the way or oddball recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Have already seen most of the biggies in central Honshu and Kansai.
View Quote

Was there in Feb and used the trains a good bit. I am familiar with the JR rail official website and got tickets on Shinkansen each morning and also changed trains often on the fly.

You don’t need the JR Pass but need to familiarize yourself with the JR website. Dont use a US Visa card but link an AMEX as their website doesn’t take Visa cards from the U.S.

It was pretty easy. I didn’t see that many western tourists this time but was there too early for cherry blossom season.

Chinese were everywhere when we went and our Japanese drivers/guides were not afraid to tell you what they thought of them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I really want to go in October with the wife.

Problem is she'll be 4ish months pregnant if everything goes well and it will be our first... So we're completely unsure of what that will bring!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Seeing Mt. Fuji is hit or miss unless you plan to climb it. If you do want to climb Mt. Fuji you have to make arrangements - as of this year they no longer allow people to just show up and climb it. There have been too many tourists and it was getting way too crowded - and too much trash.
View Quote

How are you supposed to climb Mt. Fuji and learn swordsmanship from the Tengu with all that nonsense going on?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:11:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: code99] [#19]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

Was there in Feb and used the trains a good bit. I am familiar with the JR rail official website and got tickets on Shinkansen each morning and also changed trains often on the fly.

You don’t need the JR Pass but need to familiarize yourself with the JR website. Dont use a US Visa card but link an AMEX as their website doesn’t take Visa cards from the U.S.

It was pretty easy. I didn’t see that many western tourists this time but was there too early for cherry blossom season.

Chinese were everywhere when we went and our Japanese drivers/guides were not afraid to tell you what they thought of them.
View Quote

Did you reserve tickets using the JR website and then have the tickets issued from a machine at the station or did you have to pick the tickets up from a manned help desk?

ETA: Did you get reserved seats or did you travel unreserved and if so, any problems?  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Back in Feb 2001 wife and I drove to Wakkanai via several other stops. Took a picture of the monument for the northen most point

then noticed another one on a hill across the road. Had to find out what it was so put on cold weather gear, got out of the car and trudged through the snow and gale force winds. It was a monument to KAL 007.

On a drive around Kyushu we stumbled upon a mummified "devil" .........

and while hiking near Mt Unzen a shrine to dicks (fertility) ............

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:43:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#21]

Did you reserve tickets using the JR website and then have the tickets issued from a machine at the station or did you have to pick the tickets up from a manned help desk?

ETA: Did you get reserved seats or did you travel unreserved and if so, any problems?  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

I was able to save them on my iphone wallet from the JR site and scan at the little gates prior to entry. It then spits a ticket out for you.

We rode green car (1st class reserved) most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By johosjokers:

View Quote

Catch the Cherry Cokes if you ever get a chance.  Celtic/Shanty Punk mixed with metal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

Catch the Cherry Cokes if you ever get a chance.  Celtic/Shanty Punk mixed with metal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
Originally Posted By johosjokers:

Mad Capsule Markets is the band you want to see.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top