Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I had $7,000 in cash stolen from an account last year.  A sort of special purpose business account we only pay 2 bills a year out of, so I wasn't watching the balance regularly.  It started with a $200ish in person cash withdrawal.  Then once the thief had their system down it was wiped out.

If OP had any sense whatsoever he would be happy the bank cares enough to take precautions.  The day you check your balance so you can pay the real estate taxes and find nothing in the account is rather more upsetting than being asked to see a 2nd form of ID.......

Either way unless you travel across the country a bunch a locally owned, smallish bank or CU is generally better in every possible way.  Get to know the people by actually going inside to do business  and being nice, make 30 seconds of small talk with the tellers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTX:

We create the thread in GD before we waste time on silly shit like that. You know how this works, Paul.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTX:
Originally Posted By Paul:
When you talked to the bank manager what did he say?

We create the thread in GD before we waste time on silly shit like that. You know how this works, Paul.

He's using "Karen" without actually saying it. Now that I had to explain it to you...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If they don’t have access to an electronic image of your account signature card, it is not uncommon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh No! Banks REMOVING CASH and moving to ALL digital future | Redacted w Natali & Clayton Morris
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
Yeah! fuck the bank for taking extra measures to keep your account secure!
View Quote

I have real problems I don’t need to look for more
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Withdrawing money from the bank, either at the teller window or through the ATM, is the only thing my debit card gets used for.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Boomer thread.

View Quote

retard answer
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Stupid on PNCs part, but do you not have an ATM card if you have an account with them? Do you always go in to get cash?

I'm with the people who haven't been inside a bank, hell probably since I opened the account 17 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#10]
After dealing with a fraud case where someone cashed $6500 out of our 501c3 account, I'm pissed the bank didn't do more to prevent it from happening.

You should be happy ur bank is trying to make sure the name on your dl matches another form of ID.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Yea, I'm not upset about them confirming my identity before handing out my cash.

Between my CCW CC or debit card. I bet I got at least 6 things with my name on it in my pocket
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

I would say fuck that bank for making my life more difficult and withdraw all my money immediately
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
If you're gonna show your carry permit, then also show them your carry gun. That'll impress them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
use your carry permit and/or passport.
If you're gonna show your carry permit, then also show them your carry gun. That'll impress them.

I use my CCW all the time as a second form of id  noone blink's when I show it to them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
These days a DL is easy to fake. I wouldn't mind if my bank was willing to go to the extra effort to secure my account.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]
We moved from a high trust society to a low trust society.

This is a result.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#16]
use your carry permit and/or passport.
View Quote

I'd pull out my license to kill.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

This.

Sounds like they are trying to protect your money. What’s the issue?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:09:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#18]
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#19]
When did a debit or credit card become a form of ID?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DDalton:  And don't write your PIN on the back of the card.
View Quote
How else am I going to remember my PIN ?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:12:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr_Dickie] [#21]
Originally Posted By Dynamo:
Maybe they have experienced a lot of ID fraud lately, especially with cash withdrawals.
View Quote
Yeah, but how does a credit card help that situation if you have a picture ID?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
How else am I going to remember my PIN ?
View Quote

I keep PINs and passwords in a text string to myself on my phone.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dcat:
Went to PNC Bank to withdraw cash from my account today.  Handed them a withdrawal slip and my DL.  They asked for additional ID like debit card or credit card.

I don't have a debit or credit card from PNC and I don't see the need to share my other credit cards with them.

Have you seen this?  How would you handle?
View Quote
  Are you a ‘known customer’?   I mean you do go into that branch regularly and know the staff and they know you, right?   If the answer is ‘no’ then present your DL and a major cc from any bank and withdraw your funds.   A pretty standard requirement.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Crusader44:

retard answer
View Quote

what can you expect from him
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#25]
At Chase, they make you swipe your ATM card at the teller's station, and input your PIN to verify your identity.  It's like making a more complicated ATM withdrawal.  

There's no reason anymore to actually go into the bank unless you need a specialized service like a cashier's check.  The last time I actually went INTO a bank was to get a few thousand Euros for spending money for my vacation in Germany.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By treelow:

This.

Sounds like they are trying to protect your money. What's the issue?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By treelow:

This.

Sounds like they are trying to protect your money. What's the issue?
So giving a random bank employee your credit card number, expiration data and security code, while giving them you DL, is additional security?
Do you work for DHS?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Show them your Sam’s Cub or Costco card .
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By klutz347:
View Quote

For a second form? Forever. Anything from a known bank with your name on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#30]
With banks using modern computers now there is no reason that there is not a photo of every person on the account so ID can be visually done or a finger print also.
There has been people taking old people on rides and pop by the bank and withdraw money out of the old person’s account because the bank can see them in the car.
There just was a case where the old guy was dead and the bank did not like something and requested a verbal the dead guy couldn’t give and the driver got busted. I think in South America
There should be no problem with a bank doing a better job protecting you money
I do work in the banking machine business so I deal with them everyday
Some are smarter than others
Some act like they know better
One got mad because I was replacing a electronic lock on an ATM and I would not reuse the old code.
It was 123456. I said NO. I need a code, not this and they argued about it
I hear the customer talking to the bank tellers and most have no problem when asked for the last four numbers of their SS number
They are trying to prove it’s your money and make it difficult for a thief to steal
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#31]
has PNC lost a customer?
View All Quotes

I did.  They refused to give me the cash, and the refused to close my account and give me cash or a cashier's check.

has PNC lost a customer?

What’s the name of owner of PNC bank so he can call op?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:39:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bossco14] [#32]
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

View All Quotes

Because you might easily steal the photo ID, have plastic surgery to alter your looks to match the photo, but stealing a CC is too difficult?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:

I would say fuck that bank for making my life more difficult and withdraw all my money immediately
View Quote

The banks don't do these things b/c they want to make your life difficult.  It's because fraudsters and regulators force them into requiring these various controls.  It's likely they've had problems with cash withdrawals, perhaps even in that specific region or branch.  It is inconvenient though, I agree.

Op can easily file a complaint with the Manager, if he chooses, which will be escalated to their complaints and/or Compliance teams which will likely apologize and perhaps explain why it was necessary (or if it wasn't and that employee was misinformed).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
We moved from a high trust society to a low trust society.

This is a result.
View Quote

not really, this is a direct result of successful fraud and heavy handed regulators watching the watchers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#36]
has PNC lost a customer?
View All Quotes

I did.  They refused to give me the cash, and the refused to close my account and give me cash or a cashier's check.

has PNC lost a customer?

Not until they give OP all of his money!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Small town banks for the win. I walk in , they say hello Mr. xxxxx, give me $5K in cash, and I walk out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#38]
My bank wants any transaction to begin with inserting your debit or credit card on the terminal so they can see your accounts, and then they ask for photo ID and a signature for big transactions.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Crusader44:

retard answer
View Quote

What do you expect from a Renter.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#40]
It is just an easy and manual form of MFA.  This is a non issue and it protects both you and them.

They didn't care about the card number they were looking for just a second piece of identification that had your name on it that confirms you were you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:00:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Palm] [#41]
Originally Posted By Dr_Dickie:
Because you might easily steal the photo ID, have plastic surgery to alter your looks to match the photo, but stealing a CC is too difficult?
View Quote

It is much easier to get a rubber overlay face like Joe Biden uses.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Slap down your Ralph's card.

Tell em you need the money for coffee.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:19:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tweiss3] [#43]
You got to see someone in person at PNC? I heard PNC went virtual, they have someone standing in the lobby to direct everyone to use the 3 video ATMs, as they no longer do in-person transactions.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Wouldn't bother me a bit, in fact I think I'd be happy to know they are doing their due diligence to prevent fraud. My local credit union even has my photo that pops up when they pull up my account to verify it's me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

https://www.ldonline.org/forum/ieps-and-legal-issues/buy-quality-novelty-passports-drivers-licenses-visas
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#46]
The Chase branch by me does this.  They ask for a photo ID and also a debit card.  Then they have the customer insert the chip card into the reader and type in your PIN number.   The way Chase does it, the debit card really does function as a second way of verifying identification.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Or, you know, you could use a reputable bank, and use an ATM....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I have been at PNC since they took over National City. They have upped their security numerous times since then. Sometimes it protects you and other times it can be a PITA for large cash withdraws.

I never had an issue with small withdraws when I had to go in or when I needed something specific. They just ask you to put your debit card in and enter your PIN. I guess if the OP can't get a debit card then he is going to have to provide some additional ID. The larger issue is if he had one he would never have to go into the bank. The issues people have with relatively trivial shit amazes me at times.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Pretty normal procedure.  Going into a bank for a $200 cash withdrawal is very 1988.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#50]
If I go in to my bank and want to make a cash withdrawl, they actually ask for my debit card, not my id. If I dont have the card they will take my id. But as soon as they pull up my account they have my picture on their screen, so I can actually get money even with out an ID because the pic is used to confirm who I am just by giving my name. Its just when they use the debit card they swipe it and the account numbers connected to the card pop right up, use the id and they have to put the name in and they look for the accounts.

And yes using fake ID's for bank withdrawls is very common now. They have them good enough that the bar code works. I was getting some stuff notarized when someone tried to do a fake id withdrawl, once the pic of the person popped up the clerk called bs and the person ran out and left the id. The clerk brought it in to the managers office where I was, I got a good look at it. It was good, hologram and everything worked perfectly.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top