Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:
What’s it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?
View Quote

They were wise
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
What’s it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?
View Quote

Back in old timer days dynamite was a hardware store item.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Friend was hiking in Montana and found an old crate of dynamite outside of an abandoned mine, when they saw it was "sweating" they nope'd right out of there.
Nitroglycerine is not to be messed with.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]

That scene always made me go "goddamn mother fucker, wish I could do that!"

Shit, you used to able to buy a fuckload of ammonium nitrate before.....well, you know.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sabocat:
Sweaty dynamite is spooky stuff, I've had to dispose of more than my fair share. Mostly by burning, but I've loaded a bit of it into rounds as well. You learn to be very careful with the loading pole
View Quote

I was gonna ask "couldn't you just put a sheet over it and carry it out with a stick? Just don't trip."
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jsteves:
"The woman was allowed to remove some of her possessions before evacuation orders were called and plans were made for the detonation. Crews knew the home would be a total loss."

Some? She was only allowed to remove SOME of her possessions before they blew everything up? That stuff had been there for years, but once the authorities found out, it has to go boom ASAP? She was obviously trying to do "the right thing", but this is another reason not to. They apparently evacuated the entire neighborhood and blew it up at 4 am.
View Quote
It doesn't have to go boom at all. It's just less risky to them to blow it in place, and they have no personal reason to save their house. That's why I would have rolled the dice and soaked it in diesel before moving it myself. Put it right next to the road and give them a reason to not just blow it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

Shit, you used to able to buy a fuckload of ammonium nitrate before.....well, you know.
View Quote

You can still buy truck loads of AN.  Farmers do it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

At one time around here you could go to the hardware store and buy it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
Friend was hiking in Montana and found an old crate of dynamite outside of an abandoned mine, when they saw it was "sweating" they nope'd right out of there.
Nitroglycerine is not to be messed with.
View Quote

They didn’t even consider setting up some kind of Rube Goldberg device to drop a rock on it, after they were safely round the hillside?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
The lady who inherited the house called a friend to ask him to move the dynamite. He called the fire dept, must've been from California
View Quote

Now she inherited a house that needs to be bulldozed.
Ouch
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Since when does an FD detonate instead of a bomb squad?
View Quote

My old FD’s fire marshal’s office was a joint venture of fire marshal EOD and Sheriff’s office EOD personnel.  

Fire Marshal’s are cross trained state certified LEO’s.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
We'll need a gif of that bomb squad blowing up, with fireworks no less, the bomb squads detonation/transport/un-blowup-able tank-looking-thingy for this thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
There are some days I wish a fire department would find old dynamite in my house. Usually when I'm midway through explaining my wife's hair brained projects to the people who will be billing me for the work.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Illegal fireworks explosion destroys an L.A. bomb squad truck
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

Yeah, that would be a big no from me.  We'd see it and call LE.

But detonating it in the house, I think we'd have a chat with their bomb disposal guys before we got onboard with that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

Yeah, that would be a big no from me.  We'd see it and call LE.

But detonating it in the house, I think we'd have a chat with their bomb disposal guys before we got onboard with that.

She should have had her insurance company on the phone with the bomb disposal guys.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You guys really need to read the article for some of the details.

1. It was in the basement of an older home. They didn't have any way to get any kind of robot in to where it was.

2. The part of the basement it was in actually had a concrete roof making it a bunker of sorts.

Crazy decision to have to make but probably the correct one given the circumstances.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
“I’m from the government and I’m here to help”
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:28:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#22]
Watched the video on the dead whale.

Whale shit, stuff happens.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By anothermisanthrope:

Explained in first few seconds of vid, but you should watch the whole thing.

Can use it to clear septic tanks too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzabmVIU6EQ
View Quote

Great fucking video. I share it at every opportunity.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By sh00ttok1ll:

1. It was in the basement of an older home. They didn't have any way to get any kind of robot in to where it was.

2. The part of the basement it was in actually had a concrete roof making it a bunker of sorts.

Crazy decision to have to make but probably the correct one given the circumstances.
View Quote
Correct is relative. It's the least risky solution for THEIR safety. Dynamite can be desensitized and burned though. Some bomb squads will do that. Some will desensitize and still burn in place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:

View All Quotes

Yup, and while most fertilizer places don't keep it around, and just order it in as needed, it's not b/c of the security issues, it's b/c it adsorbs moisture like a mother fucker and bulk will turn into one solid mass if not used up fast enough.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: William_lxix] [#26]
Originally Posted By sabocat:
Sweaty dynamite is spooky stuff, I've had to dispose of more than my fair share. Mostly by burning, but I've loaded a bit of it into rounds as well. You learn to be very careful with the loading pole
View Quote

NG is rerally easy to make, thats why it was manufactured very primitively back in the mid to late 1800's.

There are YouTube videos of NG manufacture showing troughs and sluices with liquid NG running like a stream and they aren't all dying.

Nitroglycerin (NG) exuding from dynamite is only scary if its near the freezing point or gets absorbed into something that can stress the NG.

If its liquid its fine, if its completely frozen its fine, if its slushy - the crystals can be more hazardous and prone to initiation.

If the NG is in another matrix then that can be problematic, but its a contamination issue and 'potentially' a sensitivity issue.

Unfortunately, Public Safety Bomb Squads don't get taught "Desensitization" they are only taught to burn or blow in place or ask the FBI SABT what to do (if they are enlightened/connected they can talk to the Explosive Enforcement Officers or EOD or TSS-E's in their AO).

Certain units in US military EOD learn desensitization of HME & commercial explosives as part of their knowledge base and skillset - but EOD also don't have to deal with Lawyers & politicians like PSBT's do.

NG gets a bad name from Hollywood and old wives tales, not from actual knowledge.  

NG has had YEARS of bad experiences from people mishandling it, but its not nearly as crazy sensitive as MEKP!  

Back in the day, people used to smoke cigarettes while handling NG to counteract the vaso-dilation effects of NG (screaming headaches & fainting!).  THAT is how many accidents happened, from a hot butt, or ash contaminates into NG, not from NG itself.  But the unfamiliar propogate the myth that NG is "Dangerous" - yeah, if you are SMOKING!!

Yes, the proliferation of dynamite used to be more common, as well as the knowledge for safe handling and storage. Unfortunately many users 'forget' to physically rotate their NG loaded dynamite every 6 months, as gravity will cause the NG to exude or leach out filler material/casing and follow gravity down, into whatever it was sitting on, whether thats a wooden crate, shelf, or concrete.  Then the remediation is usually BURN or detonate.  

NG loaded dynamites only have a usable storage life of 18-24 months before the NG is out of the casing and its less effective.

If NG dynamite is stored correctly in a container that will not absorb the NG, then it [the NG] will puddle or form droplets.  The less informed get nervous about this, but, its literally a remote move and PUCA to final disposal.  Densitization techniques can be used to lubricate and disperse the material to avoid heat-stress-friction "activation energies".

The US Navy uses a metric shit ton of PGDN which is chemically very similar and physically very similar to NG and we don't have mishandling accidents with explosions from PGDN.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:08:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#27]

View All Quotes

I'm not a farmer, so I imagine I'd get a visit or at least a phone call. I know you can easily buy smaller quantities from pyrotechnic chem sites no problem.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#28]
There are calls for removal of old dynamite in poor condition on a pretty regular basis, this is the first time I’ve heard of the house being blown up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Forgot about the whole stump removal thing.

I totally get it was available before we became pussyes I just couldn’t remeber the use case
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prebans:

@generaldisaray

Once upon a time, dynamite was sold openly at hardware stores to farmers and ranchers for stump and rock removal.  Click here for DuPont’s old helpful guidebook.

Many from that generation lived through the Depression and knew the value of thrift.  They saved stuff, including unused dynamite.  And/or, just like us, we buy and hold things that the government wants banned.  So as they pass on, we discover stuff in garages, sheds, attics, basements, and barns that seems wild.  But to them, it was just a trip to the hardware store.

What will our grandkids say when they hear about us just buying an AR15 and ammo at a store and wandering home with it?

Forgot about the whole stump removal thing.

I totally get it was available before we became pussyes I just couldn’t remeber the use case

I’ve had a number of old timers tell me about irrigation ditch clear in the spring with dynamite.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Jerry Clower:

Claude was the only one in the community catchin' any fish. Folks was goin' and they wasn't catchin' nothin'. Old Claude Ledbetter, he'd come with a pickup truck loaded down. So the State Game and Fish Commission of Mississippi decided they'd go fishin' with Claude, just see how he was catchin'em. Claude told 'em   popped off   said, y'all don't know how to do it. Y'all ought to just go with me and watch me.
Well, the game warden got in the boat with him and they took off out in the middle of the river.
The game warden said, "Alright Claude, I'm gonna see how you catchin' all these fish when cain't nobody else catch none."
Claude raised the lid on the boat seat, got a big, long stick a dynamite. Lit the fuse on it. Let it go down kinda short, then drawed back and chucked it. Boom! Them big catfish come turnin' they belly up, whoopin' it outa that water, and Claude was just gettin'em by the tub full.
The game warden said, "Boy, that's against the law, you cain't do that. Don't you know you're breakin' the law?"
Well, Claude done lit another big stick a dynamite, handed it to the game warden; it goin' phsssssh!
The game warden took that stick a dynamite and said, "You idiot! This is against the law! You cain't do this!"
Claude said, "You gonna set there and argue, or fish!"

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

In the fire department where I served, we operated the bomb squad under the Fire Marshal’s office.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

It used to be an everyday item.   Old timers used to clear water well casings by dropping in detonators.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#34]
The lady who inherited the house called a friend to ask him to move the dynamite. He called the fire dept, must've been from California
View Quote

That brings up the most important question:   Insurance?    Did she have it?     Do they cover this sort of thing?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:04:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: William_lxix] [#35]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

It used to be an everyday item.   Old timers used to clear water well casings by dropping in detonators.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Time fuze burns incredibly faster underwater too!  Electrical leads have a HIGH potential of shorting out also.  Det cord is best-est for underwater shots.

*Insurance generally does not cover explosives, as a residence is not-site approved and generally illegal to "store" explosives.  There are insurance company's that cover explosive work, but, all the regulations and laws HAVE to be followed for the policy to be in effect.

Local jurisdicictions are generally OFF THE HOOK for liability by 'best interest of public safety' guidance.  I don't agree with that, as there are other methods of remediation that could and should be explored including sub-contracting out the remediation.  If a super-fund site involving former chemical weapons leaking drums of VX can be remediated, then so can a NG contamination.

Originally Posted By Waldo:
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

They didn’t even consider setting up some kind of Rube Goldberg device to drop a rock on it, after they were safely round the hillside?

Choot it.

AFT approach: Shoot the dogs.
FBI approach: Burn the compound.

Guess which agency is in charge of certifying PSBT's whether Fire Dept or PD? See above.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#36]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I may or may not know where there may be two cases old dynamite that's been in a barn since the early 1960's.  

But I ain't touching it.  

View Quote

Got anyplace to safely detonate it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

It used to be accessible and used on the farm to do all kinds of tasks.  My grandpa and dad blew a ton of shit up with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By chodenut:
Jerry Clower:

Claude was the only one in the community catchin' any fish. Folks was goin' and they wasn't catchin' nothin'. Old Claude Ledbetter, he'd come with a pickup truck loaded down. So the State Game and Fish Commission of Mississippi decided they'd go fishin' with Claude, just see how he was catchin'em. Claude told 'em   popped off   said, y'all don't know how to do it. Y'all ought to just go with me and watch me.
Well, the game warden got in the boat with him and they took off out in the middle of the river.
The game warden said, "Alright Claude, I'm gonna see how you catchin' all these fish when cain't nobody else catch none."
Claude raised the lid on the boat seat, got a big, long stick a dynamite. Lit the fuse on it. Let it go down kinda short, then drawed back and chucked it. Boom! Them big catfish come turnin' they belly up, whoopin' it outa that water, and Claude was just gettin'em by the tub full.
The game warden said, "Boy, that's against the law, you cain't do that. Don't you know you're breakin' the law?"
Well, Claude done lit another big stick a dynamite, handed it to the game warden; it goin' phsssssh!
The game warden took that stick a dynamite and said, "You idiot! This is against the law! You cain't do this!"
Claude said, "You gonna set there and argue, or fish!"

View Quote

The punchline I heard was "You gonna fish or you gonna bitch?"
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By William_lxix:

Time fuze burns incredibly faster underwater too!  Electrical leads have a HIGH potential of shorting out also.  Det cord is best-est for underwater shots.

*Insurance generally does not cover explosives, as a residence is not-site approved and generally illegal to "store" explosives.  There are insurance company's that cover explosive work, but, all the regulations and laws HAVE to be followed for the policy to be in effect.

Local jurisdicictions are generally OFF THE HOOK for liability by 'best interest of public safety' guidance.  I don't agree with that, as there are other methods of remediation that could and should be explored including sub-contracting out the remediation.  If a super-fund site involving former chemical weapons leaking drums of VX can be remediated, then so can a NG contamination.

AFT approach: Shoot the dogs.
FBI approach: Burn the compound.

Guess which agency is in charge of certifying PSBT's whether Fire Dept or PD? See above.
View Quote

LAPD approach: Math is hard. Blow up half the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By William_lxix:

NG is rerally easy to make, thats why it was manufactured very primitively back in the mid to late 1800's.

There are YouTube videos of NG manufacture showing troughs and sluices with liquid NG running like a stream and they aren't all dying.

Nitroglycerin (NG) exuding from dynamite is only scary if its near the freezing point or gets absorbed into something that can stress the NG.

If its liquid its fine, if its completely frozen its fine, if its slushy - the crystals can be more hazardous and prone to initiation.

If the NG is in another matrix then that can be problematic, but its a contamination issue and 'potentially' a sensitivity issue.

Unfortunately, Public Safety Bomb Squads don't get taught "Desensitization" they are only taught to burn or blow in place or ask the FBI SABT what to do (if they are enlightened/connected they can talk to the Explosive Enforcement Officers or EOD or TSS-E's in their AO).

Certain units in US military EOD learn desensitization of HME & commercial explosives as part of their knowledge base and skillset - but EOD also don't have to deal with Lawyers & politicians like PSBT's do.

NG gets a bad name from Hollywood and old wives tales, not from actual knowledge.  

NG has had YEARS of bad experiences from people mishandling it, but its not nearly as crazy sensitive as MEKP!  

Back in the day, people used to smoke cigarettes while handling NG to counteract the vaso-dilation effects of NG (screaming headaches & fainting!).  THAT is how many accidents happened, from a hot butt, or ash contaminates into NG, not from NG itself.  But the unfamiliar propogate the myth that NG is "Dangerous" - yeah, if you are SMOKING!!

Yes, the proliferation of dynamite used to be more common, as well as the knowledge for safe handling and storage. Unfortunately many users 'forget' to physically rotate their NG loaded dynamite every 6 months, as gravity will cause the NG to exude or leach out filler material/casing and follow gravity down, into whatever it was sitting on, whether thats a wooden crate, shelf, or concrete.  Then the remediation is usually BURN or detonate.  

NG loaded dynamites only have a usable storage life of 18-24 months before the NG is out of the casing and its less effective.

If NG dynamite is stored correctly in a container that will not absorb the NG, then it [the NG] will puddle or form droplets.  The less informed get nervous about this, but, its literally a remote move and PUCA to final disposal.  Densitization techniques can be used to lubricate and disperse the material to avoid heat-stress-friction "activation energies".

The US Navy uses a metric shit ton of PGDN which is chemically very similar and physically very similar to NG and we don't have mishandling accidents with explosions from PGDN.

View Quote

GD take note: this guy knows shit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Choot it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Choot it.

If’n you can choot it, stuff can come back at you in the same line.

Safer to setup a Rube Goldberg machine that triggers the stuff while you’re round a hillside
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By sh00ttok1ll:

View Quote

Packbot is a one man carry when OSHA isn't watching.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

I’ve had a number of old timers tell me about irrigation ditch clear in the spring with dynamite.
View Quote

Beaver management in many places.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By runcible:
My first thought.
"Hey runcbile, wanna go in there and handle that dynamite?"
"What is this, Sorcerer? Kiss my ass, boss!"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By runcible:
My first thought.
"Hey runcbile, wanna go in there and handle that dynamite?"
"What is this, Sorcerer? Kiss my ass, boss!"

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

I think that’s still a thing!

Blowing up a beaver dam - big explosion
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Or not an idiot.
Old dynamite is dangerous AF.

Go to pick it up, boom…
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

We used to have freedom. My great uncle had a crate of it for removing stumps on the farm. Bought it at the hardware store.
View Quote

This.
My uncle had it on his place. Cleared stumps, beaver dams, etc… Also had det cord. Bought it at the local feed store IIRC.
He kept it all in his tornado shelter, lol.

He’d used it when he worked oilfield, knew what he was doing. Still had all his fingers…
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#48]

'Murca.
View All Quotes
What's it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?

'Murca.
Indeed.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Back when the country used to be free; you could buy dynamite at the Circle K.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Rumor has it that a previous owner of my house had a surface to air missile in the basement. They reportedly evacuated nearby neighborhoods until it was disposed of. Not sure if he was a member of arfcom though.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top