Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Had a Haro Team Master. All chrome with black spoke wheels. I started to hate it at the time because people were always trying to steal it
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That junk worth anything?  Been hanging in the barn for the past 25 years!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Not so much BMX but street and ramp freestyle.  My top two favorites from the 90s that I built were the GT Pro Freestyle Tour with AD990 rears, Redline 3 piece crank, Haro Kneesaver bars, Gyro and the obligatory pegs front and rear.  Next favorite was the S&M Menstrual Cycle frame, can't remember the cranks, Challenger bars, dleted the Gyro and just had an extended rear brake cable.  

Man, I miss those bikes.  Now I have to go find one.   Dammit GD, what did my wallet do to you?  Why do you hate it so?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: booger123] [#4]
I had an obscure brand called Tahoe. frame and forks was Tahoe, had redline flight cranks and sprocket. redline neck, haro straight bars, gt laid back seat. with a set of hutch Black Mags and a set of Shimano rims and hubs with straight laced and colored spokes. it was RAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was born in 70 so Bmx was king for my elementary and middle school years. got stolen Freshmen year of high school off my back porch
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
spent a lot of time trying to pull off "cherry pickers" on a white 86 GT World Tour....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LoBrau:
I would've killed for something like that as a kid. I had a thrift store girls huffy, was the best my parents could afford at the time.

Rode the absolute shit out of it anyway, what else was I going to do?
View Quote

Me too.  Sweet and sassy.  I had to paint that pink thing black.   Then my mom got some kind of POS at a garage sale.  

Finally mowed lawns and saved my money.  Got a used Schwinn Chrome 36x36 frame and peiced together a bike that I was proud of.  But wasn't near as nice as what the other guys rode.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
Thank God for the burbs. Our BMX bikes were MX bikes.

Suzuki RM80s and Yamaha YZ80s.
View Quote
Sounds like we were neighbors.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
BMX bikes to me back in the 80's was like building ARs today.

In Elementary an Middle schools we used to have BMX build parties.  Good times!

My precious Skyway BMX bike looked a lot like this one.  I wish I had kept it...

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a Hutch like this one with pegs on the back, it was stolen

Then I had a Redline like this one, also stolen

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Race Inc, RFC, Phil Wood hubs, and other shit I can't remember.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mauritius:
My parents were of very modest means, yet they bought me a very expensive bike for my birthday. A PK Ripper, almost identical to this one except I had a red seat and camo pads. Some of the best times of my life were spent on or near that bike.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132244/IMG_7925_jpeg-3197583.JPG
View Quote

Fucking mint!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My older brother used to race.

You mean kids don't do this anymore?    

First Person BMX has taken over the actual outdoor physical activities like everything else?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DrKlahn:

Blue and white GT. Mine was stolen also.

Think that will be the most common theme in this thread.
View Quote
Indeed.

I lost 2 in the summer of 85.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I had some cheap knockoff but saved up and bought a used Robinson. I remember staring at GT catalogs from the bike shop.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cancard:

What was more desirable — mags or spoked wheels?
View Quote

Mags imo
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:

Mags imo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:
Originally Posted By cancard:

What was more desirable   mags or spoked wheels?

Mags imo
Definitely mags.

I bent more spokes jumping ramps then my parents were willing to pay for
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Embarrassed by my Kent I saved up paper route money. Bought a Redline RL 620 pink and black 1990? Wanted the Bully but it was OOS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Here was my favorite bike I ever had.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I had this but mine was black in the early/mid 60's.
" />
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Dyno Compe II

GT Blue with white wheels.  It was pure sex.  Stolen from my house in the middle of the dat.  I heard the freewheel clicking and thought it was my sister moving it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I started with Haro (and pegs so the bitches could ride on back) ended up with Diamonback, GT, think the last one was a Redline - with the 3pc cranks a when we were doing larger dirt jumps/tracks.
I always wanted my buddies Elf. Similar to this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I had many back in the day, BMX/Freestyle, first true BMX was stolen out of the backyard after the farm laborers showed up for a day.

Had GT, Dyno and a Robinson Pro XL that I still have. Pro flight 3 piece cranks, either A.S.P. or flying V rear breaks, can't remember the exact  name but it had this v shaped wedge that was supposed to apply equal pressure to both sides of the rim. Had the bear trap pedals at one point. They looked so cool right until they made your mark on the shin. Was happy to move back to platform pedals when they fell apart.

Funniest memory is traveling with my school freinds from house to house on the way home from school out in a really rural area on a two lane. It had just rained and you know we all liked to hoist the front wheel and see who could go father. About a day before I had installed the brand new mushroom grips. Well, that rain must have reactivated that Aqua net because as soon as I hoisted that front wheel skyward my right hand was full or grip and no handlebar.

The torque from the now lop sided grip immediately sent me head over heels onto the asphalt with predictable results.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Still have my diamondback strike zone.  The pink one.   Never saw another one like it.  Apparently I was the only who’d be caught dead riding it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:53:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#24]
I had a Mongoose Expert.

Slowly upgraded it over the years. Better handlebars, stem, Odyssey Beartrap pedals, Odyssey Pitbull brake, etc..

Lusted over Redline Flight cranks but never got them. My dream bike was either a chome Robinson or a green Auburn CR20 (with the aluminum rear triangle)

I remember having to do all my buying at a local shop or ordering from a BMX Plus ad where you had to talk to someone. Kid's have it so easy now.

If you want some nostalgia, here is a bunch of old BMX Plus magazines that have been scanned.

https://oldschoolmags.com/bmx_plus.htm
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:58:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#25]
Also, this guy has scanned and uploaded a lot of the original catalogs from GT, Haro, Dyno, and other BMX Plus issues.

https://issuu.com/pharv85

And bike tests from magazines...
https://oldschoolmags.com/tests_and_reviews.htm

The link in my previous post has a bunch of 80's BMX Plus magazines.

Here is a bunch of stuff from the 90s and later...

https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=541476
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By gamboolman:
I had this but mine was black in the early/mid 60's.
https://i.imgur.com/5HkjJvVl.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/5HkjJvVl.jpg
View Quote

A fellow arfcommer has a mint one that exact color parked in his shop.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Naffenea] [#27]
I had a Univega. It was awesome.

Attachment Attached File

It looked like this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:15:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#28]
Originally Posted By EldonHoke:

Me too.  Sweet and sassy.  I had to paint that pink thing black.   Then my mom got some kind of POS at a garage sale.  

Finally mowed lawns and saved my money.  Got a used Schwinn Chrome 36x36 frame and peiced together a bike that I was proud of.  But wasn't near as nice as what the other guys rode.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EldonHoke:
Originally Posted By LoBrau:
I would've killed for something like that as a kid. I had a thrift store girls huffy, was the best my parents could afford at the time.

Rode the absolute shit out of it anyway, what else was I going to do?

Mine was a Pacific Waves, iirc, sea foam green. When I outgrew that I moved up to my mom's old 3spd British racer, what a complete piece of shit that was. I finally saved enough from cutting grass in 8th or 9th grade to get myself a brand new specialized hard rock. It was like going from a chevette to a corvette lol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TJ1113] [#29]
I had an 85 Haro FST in white.

Attachment Attached File

This one hangs in my finished basement. I have the stickers for it but can't bring myself to send it out to be powdered white...

Same exact setup (except I had front and rear pegs)as the one I had. I was super lucky to find one 10 years ago complete with everything on it.

Paid $450 for mine in 2014. They are going for $1500 and up now...

Edit: I also had a RL Osborne for a little while. Was my step brothers and I was going to sell the FST. Then work for my dad to pay the balance. My mother made me give it back to him because she thought it was too expensive. He had bought the RL 20 II. Thank God I hadn't sold the FST first.

Edit #2: realized i replaced the tires with black oddessy barefeet after this pic. I had white barefeet back in '87 but I could find any so I went with black.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a cheap-ass bike from Walmart (my parents weren't about to spend a lot of money on a bike that I'd beat to shit). But I did some upgrades:
new, better pedals
free-wheel hub (had the old-style locking hub)
hand brakes
new neck
The rims were the old steel wire spokes, but they worked pretty good. I always kept a "spoke key" with me to tighten them after a day of jumping...stuff.

I liked that old bike. Unfortunately, it, along with a TON of others around the neighborhood, got stolen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SideSwipeYa:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183699/IMG_3318-3197672.jpg
Fucking mint!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SideSwipeYa:
My parents were of very modest means, yet they bought me a very expensive bike for my birthday. A PK Ripper, almost identical to this one except I had a red seat and camo pads. Some of the best times of my life were spent on or near that bike.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132244/IMG_7925_jpeg-3197583.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183699/IMG_3318-3197672.jpg
Fucking mint!

Yeah, I would say that's the sweetest looking ride posted in the thread..
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By safes2small:
Embarrassed by my Kent I saved up paper route money. Bought a Redline RL 620 pink and black 1990? Wanted the Bully but it was OOS.
View Quote
Glad to see another Kent kid in here
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
BMX bikes to me back in the 80's was like building ARs today.

In Elementary an Middle schools we used to have BMX build parties.  Good times!

My precious Skyway BMX bike looked a lot like this one.  I wish I had kept it...

https://bmxmuseum.com/image/img_2328---copy55a9b39f60_blowup.jpg
View Quote

Here you go
https://www.planetbmx.com/shop/complete-bikes/20-bmx-retro.html
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ICU:
Had a Mongoose first, then GT & finally a Hutch. GT was my favorite…https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16226/31328BCC-009F-4055-BDD4-76EEB460E7D3_jpe-3197609.JPG
View Quote

Cool 1/4 pipe. I built a few.

I still have my '85 Haro FST with Z-Rims.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gutter1000] [#35]
Hobby of mine, restoring and powder coating.
86 schwinn predator freeforms are my favorite.  On my third build.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I had the Huffy Thunder Road (54) as my first bike. Then I had a mountain bike/cruiser of unknown manufacture. Rode the shit out of both of them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gutter1000] [#37]
Originally Posted By Bunnysriflestock:
Had a Haro Team Master. All chrome with black spoke wheels. I started to hate it at the time because people were always trying to steal it
View Quote

Flatlandfuel has a bunch of Haro ol school new rides.
Get back into it!

http://flatlandfuel.com/Haro2023lineagesport20completebike.aspx
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
Still wish I had mine but was stolen.

From what I remember since I built it myself.
Kastan Pro xl
DK headset
Powerline bars
Brand X Ti forks
Profile blue hubs w blue nipples
Rims that had flames on them
Redline 2 piece crank
Crupi pedals
shimano v brakes

View Quote

Crazy, really similar to my Kastan (rare enough frame to start with).   I had all anodized black parts, the Crupi high flange hubs were my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Hearing some of these brand names really brings back memories. Mongoose, Haro, and especially if you had a PK Ripper you were the shit. I couldn't afford any of it. I had a Huffy and took a lot of shit for it. Builds character for sure. The rich kid with a half-pipe in his backyard was the king of the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Heck yeah man!!

I walk past the crap at Walmart that is called Mongoose today and shake my head everytime.

My best bike was a Mongoose. Had yellow Oakley 4 grips that were the most ergodynamic things Id ever seen. A plastic sliver of a seat called a UNI MONO. Some sort of yellow tire that was snake themed and all the rage. Yellow and silver aluminum mags. Some sort of light weight pedals. Yellow handlebar pad cover that was velcro and the same material that my wallet was made of. And a fork that I think was called "Tange".

I thought it was the most badass thing I had ever seen.

Think I took it to the beach and sand got into the bearings and it all went to pot after that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Hello fellow PK Ripper..er.
View Quote

Hello!
Wish I still had my Ripper
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Haro Master(race).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Vern1968:
Hearing some of these brand names really brings back memories. Mongoose, Haro, and especially if you had a PK Ripper you were the shit. I couldn't afford any of it. I had a Huffy and took a lot of shit for it. Builds character for sure. The rich kid with a half-pipe in his backyard was the king of the neighborhood.
View Quote

There was an entire empty section in the middle of our neighborhood, mostly woods.  We had a killer trail system all through it with a couple natural half-pipes we carved out of the stream that ran through there.  I remember one was close to twenty feet from bottom to top.  If you didn't go in hauling ass and cranking all you had you might have "stalled" halfway up lol.  How we all survived those years relatively intact was a miracle.  No safety gear, either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TripleC] [#44]
Lots of companies got on the BMX style bandwagon. Had one called a Hawk TS that was pretty sweet.

Cant remember the brand, might have been Huffy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#45]
Remember making fun of these?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Mongoose with a bunch of custom stuff on it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:43:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#47]
Another funny,  my closest freind from the house down the street, and understand that I was country as fu*k and was about 1/2 mile apart. Came by one Saturday afternoon.  Had some flavor of Mongoose bike, it left the factory as a Freestyle bike with an Odyssey and all of the street gear. Front pegs, hand greanades on the back and two different paints in a fade on a chrome based frame.

He decided to change it up. Freestyle was out and BMX was in! Pulled all of the Freestyle stuff off and made it a stripped down off road bike. Told me to take it on a test ride. I had swapped before on rides and it was a pig just like my similar GT Pro perfomer of the time.

Begged me to hoist the wheel, OMG! I ended up on my back so quickly with a lightened bike and a laid back seat post, It was up and over before I knew it! It probably influenced my desire to buy Buell in later years. Either way I look like a bear on a bicycle at 6'4" and riding by the mirrored windows at the bank was eye opening.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Yep.  Chainguards?  LOL.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lestat77] [#49]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

1987 GT PFT, 1988 GT PFT. 1998 GT Show I got from Amsterdam.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Nice!!!!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top