Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:
If you lost your dad’s stuff, you’d replace it, right? Because you were raised to do the right thing.

I’m still having trouble understanding your dad. He left your stuff in a closet and your mom threw it out. Why isn’t he offering to replace it?
View Quote

Yep.  Me too.  Perhaps the old man figures it’s still around but yea, if I was the old man, we’d go online and order replacements.

If I borrow a tool and it breaks I buy a replacement of equal or better quality.  It’s a matter of honor.  In about an hour I am going to my 84 year old friends house to return a grass seed/fertilizer spreader I borrowed.  I have borrowed tools from his garage before and they come back same day.  I have offered loans in return but he seldom takes me up on it.  I can do him other small favors and he is ok with, ie pick up parts or stuff out at the store.
We’ll have coffee and a snack.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Like I said I was upset, not mad.  I love my Dad.  He was hard on me because I was well wild in HS, Got me to focus on getting my ROTC schlorship while still being All District in Baseball and Football.  

When I was in my Freshman year of being on the Scout team for football and grades started to slip he flew (he was still active duty at the time) on a training mission to talk to me face to face and to basically get me back on track.  

At flight school he did the same thing.  

I am not mad at him, he has done a lot for me, I now as a dad I know I organization is important (I am missing alot of tools myself) but this was just to vent so I can not hold grudges.  I do that.  Part of being a Battalion Commander I guess.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
There are a lot of people who would absolutely LOVE to have their dad around still to loose gun parts.  Don't even sweat it, just be thankful your dad is still alive to have these issues with in the first place. Besides you probably broke and lost all kinds of things as a child so he's just paying you back for breaking his camera, or scratching his car and all the other crap kids do LoL.

I remember when I was about 10 or so I wrecked one of my dads prized knives whacking it on a metal fence pole because I was dumb and didn't know any better. He was not even mad.  As a teenager I flipped his 64 Impala SS 409 and he was not mad either. Just happy I was alive. We all owe our parents a lot for the shit they put up with raising us.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
every time this comes up hug him tight

no one is promised tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By aftac:
My Dad borrowed my AR-10 for some shooting class he wanted to take and he lost two PMAGs, my AR-10 BCG, and my Radian charging handle.  I am like Dad what's up and going on.  He said "your mom gets mad at me for cleaning guns on the dining room table and freaks out and then I just toss everything in a closet." Then she cleans the closets a few months later and moves things around.

I am like why the heck did you not put the bcg and charging handle back in the AR10.  He told me they were locked up in the safe.  

I am, I do not know what.  

Beforehand he lost my LWRCi BCG and I had to call LWRC but they were good they sent me out one.  I used to use LWRCi in my competitions.

Do I just go off and buy a new one after I get home from my Drill next week and write this off as do not loan stuff to my dad if my Mom is Home?  (99% of the time she is cleaning the house after my nephews mess it up)

They were good to me so I cannot be too harsh when I was going thru my last Divorce and then my last Deployment they held all 200K of ammo and guns while I moved from Virginia to Alabama with a Deployment to Afghanistan then Iraq in 2021-2022.  Good old number 8 deployment was a crazy.

This is just a vent
View Quote

Nobody treats you like family.

Ask yourself if your dad is worth the cost of an AR bolt carrier group. Any bolt carrrier group….
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#6]
My Dad borrowed my AR-10 for some shooting class he wanted to take and he lost two PMAGs, my AR-10 BCG, and my Radian charging handle.  I am like Dad what's up and going on.  He said "your mom gets mad at me for cleaning guns on the dining room table and freaks out and then I just toss everything in a closet." Then she cleans the closets a few months later and moves things around.

I am like why the heck did you not put the bcg and charging handle back in the AR10.  He told me they were locked up in the safe.  

I am, I do not know what.  

Beforehand he lost my LWRCi BCG and I had to call LWRC but they were good they sent me out one.  I used to use LWRCi in my competitions.

Do I just go off and buy a new one after I get home from my Drill next week and write this off as do not loan stuff to my dad if my Mom is Home?  (99% of the time she is cleaning the house after my nephews mess it up)

They were good to me so I cannot be too harsh when I was going thru my last Divorce and then my last Deployment they held all 200K of ammo and guns while I moved from Virginia to Alabama with a Deployment to Afghanistan then Iraq in 2021-2022.  Good old number 8 deployment was a crazy.

This is just a vent
View Quote

Dude do you want me to replace the shit that was lost?  Give your dad a hug, tell him you love him and ask when are we shooting guns again.

Mine died in 1996 when I was 26 years old. I would give anything to have him back. Enjoy while it last.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Ha, this thread reminds me that I have my dad's .22 magnum, and his diana pellet gun that i borrowed and haven't returned yet.

OP,  As others have said, be happy you still have a dad, and just ask him to look for it again.  

And in the future, tell him, just bring it back dirty when he's done.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Text your mom-"Dad says you owe me a new bolt and carrier because you lost mine"
View Quote

You tell your father to get that woman in line or you will.

Seriously, I just think it's great your father is still doing gun stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I was just venting.  I can buy things its not an issue.  

This is just things I wanted to vent because I do not want to get upset.  

My shrink told me to just air it out to people and let it go because being a full-time dad is hard and I just got there with the 350K custody case and I cannot raise my kids as I would my soldiers.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:30:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#10]
My dad is a complete and utter fucking idiot and I have no idea how I am related to him, so I feel your pain. That's probably not how you describe your dad and I'm not trying to insult him, but it's true of mine.

Your dad has had plenty of time to find the parts and make things right though. That's just pure deflection of responsibility, accountability, and lack of concern for your property. I guess you have to weigh it like the others have. Keeping your dad in your life or gun parts. Lesson learned right. Don't ever loan him anything valuable ever again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By c7aea15:
I've given plenty of people stuff. But lend and expect it to come back in the same condition? Nope.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BB:
He gave you life. Give him some grace.
View Quote

And take his car keys.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:32:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#13]
Now my brother stealing my first Ranger Beret from my Dad that I gave my Dad for being a good Dad, and telling people at work it was his, now that is a different story.
View Quote

Now that deserves an ass beating, not losing parts (as some posters suggested)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Advance:
Sounds like none of this was done in bad faith. Family is 87 million times more important than a BCG and a couple of PMags.
View Quote

This.
And no doubt once you replace the missing items that they will be found and returned to you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Most anyone can reproduce .............. that doesn't inherently mean they are responsible people.

Pro Tip: Never lend anything you can't afford to lose.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:41:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sir_Sparhawk] [#16]
When I was growing up, I had to allow my step-brother to do whatever he wanted with anything I owned. He could play with it, destroy it, keep it, give it away. Whatever he wanted. And I was never allowed to touch anything of his of course. I didn't have very many possessions as a kid. I never got anything I wanted, because of him, and I eventually just told my mom not to send me Christmas or birthday presents anymore because my step-brother would just destroy them. This taught me never to lend anything to anybody for any reason. People don't care about other peoples stuff. Even when they borrow it and are supposed to take care of it.

Op, your father needs to be held accountable for losing your stuff. All you're doing by not doing so is re-enforceing the behaviour that doesn't give a shit about losing things that don't belong to him that are your property. Tell him to find your stuff and give it back. Then never lend him anything again. He also needs to talk with his woman about not touching things that don't belong to her.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FatCat1] [#17]
Fuck his wife……oh wait.   Never mind.

Edit: I just noticed you’re from Alabama, so carry on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
I didn't touch my son's guns while he was deployed.  Sounds like you need to hook dad up with his own so he'll leave yours alone!
This is one my son got me after deployment.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3512/Xfo66s.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7154/6rfS2B.jpg
View Quote
This...
Sometimes there is no great solution.

On the second time, I'd have an issue and something would change.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#19]
So it happened before but you loned him another gun....

Your dad is not the dumbass.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:
If you lost your dad’s stuff, you’d replace it, right? Because you were raised to do the right thing.

I’m still having trouble understanding your dad. He left your stuff in a closet and your mom threw it out. Why isn’t he offering to replace it?
View Quote

Agreed.

Some other dynamic is in the mix that OP isn’t telling us.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:46:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskanforfreedom] [#21]
My takeaway
200k ammo fort?
Your dad lost your BCG and you called the company that makes them to get a new one? Is the bcg proprietary and unobtainum or some shit?
If your dad seriously took care of that much of your ammo amd guns while deployed. Go buy him an AR10 so he doesnt need to borrow yours. Unless he already charged you a storage fee. I think at this point itd be fair not to loan him guns or gun stuff.
Thats about all I got.
Eta: ah 200k ammp and weapons. I understand now
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Speedwinder:
Feel lucky you still have your dad. Some day you won't.

Work out the problem and count your blessings.
View Quote

This. One day you'll trade every bcg on the planet to have one more conversation with him.

Things are just things. He didn't do it on purpose. Move past it. If he was good to you growing up, honor him.

Sounds like he raised a good man
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Over the years I have come to one conclusion.

Only lend what you are willing to lose. There are very few people who can be trusted to return something in good condition.

At least it’s an AR with common parts. Losing something like the matching serialized bolt on a rare C&R rifle or discontinued imported semiautomatic rifle would be much worse and would significantly devalue the gun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd say vent here, get it out of your system, and move on. I'd kill for my dad to able to go shoot with me right now, let alone shoot, clean guns and lose parts

Maybe buy or build him his own at some point so you don't have to keep loaning and losing parts. I'd be pretty annoyed with anyone who lost parts off loaned guns multiple times too. You wouldn't be human otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's the only piece of advice I can offer.

I am currently watching my dad die in a hospital bed, laying in the home where I grew up. I would give all the BCGs and pmags in the world for him to be well enough to go shooting again. My son is so young he probably won't even remember meeting the man who he is named after.

Remember to keep things is perspective.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:03:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#26]
Here's one for you OP.

My dad bought his dream motorcycle, a BMW R1200GS. Very expensive, he bought it right off the showroom floor when they were fairly new, 2008. I was 18.

He let me take it out for a ride. I crashed it. At 45 mph. Not just a lay-it-over crash, an endo crash (end-over-end)

The bike was really fucked. I managed to limp it partway home, but it was so damaged it stalled out a mile from home and I had to walk it back.

Fucked my knee up, my elbow, wrist, cracked my helmet shell, I thought I broke a rib (but didn't, just bruising).

I pushed it into the garage and went to the bathroom to get tweezers. Sat in the kitchen and started pulling gravel out of my knee (and bleeding on my moms nice towels, which she frequently reminds me of to this day)

When my dad got home, I burst into tears. I thought I was gonna be sick - I wrecked my father's dream bike. Not just a scratch, I totaled that bitch. He got to ride it one time.

He stood there silently for a minute, then said "Are you alright?"

"No, dad, I'm not, I destroyed your bike, I am so sorry"

He just walked up and hugged me for a solid minute or more. Out of character for my old man. Not the huggy-feely type

He said "I'd trade every BMW in the world for you, son."

I carry that moment with me throughout my life. When my 2-year-old daughter broke my motorcycle helmet I carelessly left out in reach, I summoned that same forgiveness my father taught me.

Forgive and love your father.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:

Seriously, tell him he can borrow stuff but just give it back dirty and you will clean it.
View Quote

Or they could sit down and clean guns together.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Id just make him find it lol

How many closets can there really be to search

Mom prob threw it in a drawer some place if she actually moved it
View Quote

Or in a pile on his workbench.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By peanutman:

I know OP, that you never lost or broke anything of your dad’s while growing up.

I wish my dad was still here to cause me troubles.

View Quote

With all the Hell I raised as a youth & my Father forgave or fixed (some "learning experiences" as a youthful driver that had to have quadrupled out insurance rates plus the costs of various repairs), I'd gladly write off the mags & BCG to have him back.

Just tell your Dad, "I know Mom makes it tough to clean the guns there, so next time just bring them here & we'll clean them & talk".

Sure do miss my Dad!

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Flathead9:
Here's the only piece of advice I can offer.

I am currently watching my dad die in a hospital bed, laying in the home where I grew up. I would give all the BCGs and pmags in the world for him to be well enough to go shooting again. My son is so young he probably won't even remember meeting the man who he is named after.

Remember to keep things is perspective.
View Quote

Great words...
Remember to keep things in perspective.

Suddenly got kind of Dusty in here... 😢

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
Here's one for you OP.

My dad bought his dream motorcycle, a BMW R1200GS. Very expensive, he bought it right off the showroom floor when they were fairly new, 2008. I was 18.

He let me take it out for a ride. I crashed it. At 45 mph. Not just a lay-it-over crash, an endo crash (end-over-end)

The bike was really fucked. I managed to limp it partway home, but it was so damaged it stalled out a mile from home and I had to walk it back.

Fucked my knee up, my elbow, wrist, cracked my helmet shell, I thought I broke a rib (but didn't, just bruising).

I pushed it into the garage and went to the bathroom to get tweezers. Sat in the kitchen and started pulling gravel out of my knee (and bleeding on my moms nice towels, which she frequently reminds me of to this day)

When my dad got home, I burst into tears. I thought I was gonna be sick - I wrecked my father's dream bike. Not just a scratch, I totaled that bitch. He got to ride it one time.

He stood there silently for a minute, then said "Are you alright?"

"No, dad, I'm not, I destroyed your bike, I am so sorry"

He just walked up and hugged me for a solid minute or more. Out of character for my old man. Not the huggy-feely type

He said "I'd trade every BMW in the world for you, son."

I carry that moment with me throughout my life. When my 2-year-old daughter broke my motorcycle helmet I carelessly left out in reach, I summoned that same forgiveness my father taught me.

Forgive and love your father.
View Quote
Dang. Good story, good on the old man, and good on you for carrying the lesson forward.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I lost my dad in September. I wish he could be around to borrow my stuff 🙁
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#33]
“You can borrow, but I’ll clean it. Love you pops.”
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#34]
He's your Dad.  In your own words they were good to you. It's just some parts to a gun.  It's not a big deal.

People get all kinds of weird as they get up there in years.  It can be hard to show them grace and empathy, but it's needed.  One day he will be gone and you will be laughing about when he lost your parts as you are missing him.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
"You can borrow any gun you want as soon as the missing parts are found."
View Quote

I think this covers it pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Tell mom she cant see the kids till the gun is back in one piece, she can make dad fix it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#37]

When he ask to borrow a gun again, sorry dad no can do, but I'll help you buy one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:

Seriously, tell him he can borrow stuff but just give it back dirty and you will clean it.
View Quote

This seems most reasonable.

Just tell him Dad I can't keep replacing parts because Mom moves them around.

leave the guns together i'll clean them when they get back no problem
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Absolutely this.  I still have mine, but that time is coming fast.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I gotta admit I'm laughing a little at all the guys who act like someone losing multiple gun parts on loan should practically be cheered haha.

No way. Anyone who is human is going to be irritated if they loan out expensive stuff and the loanee loses said stuff, multiple times. Did OP go apeshit on his dad? No. Dude can vent a little without all the fake zen BS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:42:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#41]
haha...I know not to lend my dad expensive stuff. not that he loses it, but it will most likely end up in the water for some reason.

You also have to keep an eye on my pops when you are helping him or he's helping you. Last time we did a project his job was to hold the 6x6x10 up so it wouldn't fall while I was jacking up the porch...well guess what I learned that day, have a 6x6 fall on your head fucking hurts
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Advance:
Sounds like none of this was done in bad faith. Family is 87 million times more important than a BCG and a couple of PMags.
View Quote

We'll see if his dad believes that when the son borrows the truck and returns it without the engine and transmission.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#43]

I think I did, when I was younger
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TX_Road_Warrior:
Show him who's boss! Piss on him and fuck his wife.

I think I did, when I was younger

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Imagine all the shit you broke, lost, or fucked up as a child.  Now double it.

That is what you need to remember.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#45]
My dad openly stole stuff from me.  Felony level, over several years.

And people wonder why I have nothing to do with him.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Yea, this is it right here. Truer words have never been spoken.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Piss on his dog and fuck his wife to establish dominance
That's a joke

I think I would quit lending shit out, even to my own family members, if they kept losing things.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#48]
You don't have a dad problem, you have a mom problem.

Woman see's a man having fun with something else than her,...got to put a stop to that.

Your dad was likely having too much fun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
Imagine all the shit you broke, lost, or fucked up as a child.  Now double it.

That is need to remember.
View Quote

This plus I wish my Dad liked firearms and shooting.

I've never been shooting with him.

Also, you just reminded me. I still have his chainsaw sharpener he lent me last year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I wish i could still shoot with my dad.  Hes 72 and has parkinsons, alzheimers and dementia.  In the long scheme of things op, this isnt even a speed bump.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top