[Last Edit: Johnny_Utah_88] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Deleted
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Speedwinder:
Feel lucky you still have your dad. Some day you won't.

Work out the problem and count your blessings.
View Quote

This. I lost my dad this year, he’d be welcome to lose all my guns if I could have him back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
That's way better than the problems I'm having with my Dad right now. Go give your dad a hug and move on.
View Quote

This!

My dad is losing his mind, I'd love it, if it were only a few of my gun parts.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
My grandmother asked to "borrow" an SKS from my dad, which she then sent to be smuggled into Cuba to arm anti-Castro revolutionaries.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Simple fix: buy Dad his own gun
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By aftac:
My Dad borrowed my AR-10 for some shooting class he wanted to take and he lost two PMAGs, my AR-10 BCG, and my Radian charging handle.  I am like Dad what's up and going on.  He said "your mom gets mad at me for cleaning guns on the dining room table and freaks out and then I just toss everything in a closet." Then she cleans the closets a few months later and moves things around.

I am like why the heck did you not put the bcg and charging handle back in the AR10.  He told me they were locked up in the safe.  

I am, I do not know what.  

Beforehand he lost my LWRCi BCG and I had to call LWRC but they were good they sent me out one.  I used to use LWRCi in my competitions.

Do I just go off and buy a new one after I get home from my Drill next week and write this off as do not loan stuff to my dad if my Mom is Home?  (99% of the time she is cleaning the house after my nephews mess it up)

They were good to me so I cannot be too harsh when I was going thru my last Divorce and then my last Deployment they held all 200K of ammo and guns while I moved from Virginia to Alabama with a Deployment to Afghanistan then Iraq in 2021-2022.  Good old number 8 deployment was a crazy.

This is just a vent
View Quote

Buy him a gun and never, ever, loan your stuff to him.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Advance:
Sounds like none of this was done in bad faith. Family is 87 million times more important than a BCG and a couple of PMags.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
 He said "your mom gets mad at me for cleaning guns on the dining room table and freaks out and then I just toss everything in a closet." Then she cleans the closets a few months later and moves things around.

View Quote

Your dad is a pussy. Take him to the gym and work on strengthening his pimp hand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:
My grandmother asked to "borrow" an SKS from my dad, which she then sent to be smuggled into Cuba to arm anti-Castro revolutionaries.
View Quote

At least she wants commies dead
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#10]
My mom backed her car into my brand new truck denting the front bumper pretty good a couple weeks after I drove the truck off the lot.

She came inside and told me when it happened.

I shrugged it off and never brought it up.

Looking back, I cant even remember how much of her shit I broke, lost, damaged when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
You should kick his ass.
View Quote

Kick his ass, Seabass!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mike103:
Take dad out shooting and then to his favorite lunch spot and have a father son day.

I left home at 18 and never saw my father ever again because he was a raging abusive alcoholic.
View Quote

And make sure it's really nice place. Maybe get drinks before or aftter....then duck out and stick him with the bill.

When he asks WTF? tell him that's about what a new AR10 BCG costs.

Win-Win
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:

Seriously, tell him he can borrow stuff but just give it back dirty and you will clean it.
View Quote

This x1000
People clean guns more than they have to.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
You should display your dominance by fucking his wife.

Joking aside, he's your dad. If you love him, and your parents were good to you, your options are to suck it up, or quit loaning him stuff long term. In other words, if he borrows it for a class, he gives it back immediately afterwards.

Option 2 is what I'd do because when he's gone, you're gonna miss him. I know I miss mine.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eight_Ring] [#16]
Deduct it from the overhead cost of being a good son and drive on--and tell him jesus you're glad you didn't have a son like him.  Then laugh.

And tell your mom--So apparently you owe me a couple gun parts.  Will that be cash or check?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:
You should display your dominance by fucking his wife.

Joking aside, he's your dad. If you love him, and your parents were good to you, your options are to suck it up, or quit loaning him stuff long term. In other words, if he borrows it for a class, he gives it back immediately afterwards.

Option 2 is what I'd do because when he's gone, you're gonna miss him. I know I miss mine.

View Quote

Option 3: you bring the gun to the class that you take together and the dynamic duo of Dirt Scrubbing Dad and Mom can’t lose your shit for you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I was raised to replace anything I lost or broke.

But that's just me.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]
So did you get back the $200,000 worth of gun-n-ammo, or did he lose it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Yep.  Buy him the missing pieces and let him keep the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aftac] [#21]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
View Quote

I have that.

Like I said this is just a vent.  I am sucking it up.  It just is odd because I dont know why I was so emotional after I got home.  I will replace the BCG and get another charging handle.  I just needed to vent so I never brought it back up.  

This is the GD safe space right?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]

I have that.

Like I said this is just a vent.  I am sucking it up.  It just is odd because I dont know why I was so emotional after I got home.  I will replace the BCG and get another charging handle.  I just needed to vent so I never brought it back up.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

I have that.

You’re probably upset because he’s going a bit senile, and you can be sure He’s not thrilled about it either.    

It’s tough watching our parents get silly and careless with old age.  
But it’ll happen to each of us, if we live long enough.  

It’s cheap lesson.  Don’t lend him anything else dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd be glad to spend a half hour with my dad again even if he lost a bunch of my stuff in the half hour.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Wish I had my dad here to lose my gun parts so I could vent about it....Miss ya dad.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Lost my dad serval months back.  I can tell you that you should not worry too much about this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:32:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Yea, I wish my dad was still here to lose my stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Advance:
Sounds like none of this was done in bad faith. Family is 87 million times more important than a BCG and a couple of PMags.
View Quote

I agree with you but after happening twice I don't believe I'd loan him any more guns either.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:20:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Tell the old man he owes you a dinner. Call it even.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#30]
My dad died on May 22, 1994 while I was 19 and on active duty

30 years next month

I wish he was still around to lose my shit

Jus sayin’
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:47:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:

This. I lost my dad this year, he'd be welcome to lose all my guns if I could have him back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alphabavo:

This. I lost my dad this year, he'd be welcome to lose all my guns if I could have him back.
Yep, life is short, don't sweat the small stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I remember when dad was younger (now deceased) but retired from the USAF he went to school for HVAC. Sometime after that when he was doing side jobs for friends working on cars and home AC systems I gifted him with a very expensive Snap On Freon sniffer.  

It didn’t take him long to leave it on the roof or bumper of his truck and drive off losing it.  He did the same thing with a very early Milwaukee battery screwdriver.  He lost shit all the time.  After I moved out I realized that all those tools he yelled at me for losing growing up were most likely lost by him.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Your an adult with a reasonably good relationship with your parents.  Your the richest man on earth.  Make decisions based on that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I wish I had $200k in guns. I would just give my father/son whatever they wanted.

You should be thankful for what you have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:
Simple fix: buy Dad his own gun
View Quote

that was my first thought.
but I'm just a simple dude with no drama in my life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#36]
My parents only used a couple guns my Dad has his own but he is 70 and a retired fighter pilot / airline pilot and my Mom is basically raising two 5 year old twins because my brother and his wife are so coddling if my dad raises his voice to tell them no everyone attacks him.  

I let him use my M6A2 and this AR10 I built mainly because and he has my old S&W shield because his S&W M&P 9 was too big to carry on travel.  

Like people said it could be worse.  Just was a vent session so I could get it out of my system without bringing it up later.  

Now my brother stealing my first Ranger Beret from my Dad that I gave my Dad for being a good Dad, and telling people at work it was his, now that is a different story.
View Quote

Your dad is a 70 year old fighter pilot / airline pilot

cut him all the slack he needs, guys like that deserve a break anytime they  need it. All those Gs and all that required drinking is hard on the brain. He now has to live a retired life of boredom and very little adrenaline. It sucks.

go buy him a big bottle of scotch and an AR-10 of his own . He deserves it. And give your mom a big hug and something she really likes / wants for putting up with your dad's shit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#37]
If this is the worst problem you have with your dad consider yourself extremely lucky.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:
View Quote

Based
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top